• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
But they aren't signs that the house isn't being used.

Old car means nothing.
House is clean.
Power is connected.
Lawn is mowed.
Already stated there are, and there are:

Signs of squatters previously.
Squatters trash in the house still.
The car.
OP has said they've scoped it out for a while and seen no activity.

And electricity is easy to hack, OP has not said they have checked. And OP said they have been there for a while?

All signs it's not currently in use, but that could mean anything like they're on holiday.

So it's clearly not abandoned, and it's clearly a bad idea to try to squat this.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017

The car.

And electricity is easy to hack, OP has not said they have checked. And OP said they have been there for a while?

All signs it's not currently in use, but that could mean anything like they're on holiday.

So it's clearly not abandoned, and it's clearly a bad idea to try to squat this.

Yet you have been advocating further research. This is a lost cause and foolish.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yet you have been advocating further research. This is a lost cause and foolish.
Which the posts you're currently replying to literally acknowledge.

If OP wants to continue, for whatever reason, they need to do more research. My advice would be to not go any further though, as explained.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

The car.

The car means nothing. Granted, if you've never lived outside a city it might not make sense, but go anywhere semi-final and you'll find abandoned/decaying/project cars in front of homes.

And OP found a pile of cans, not signs of a previous squat. That could have easily just been lazy cleanup. Have you never put off cleaning up after a party?

You're reaching with all of your "signs."

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The car means nothing. Granted, if you've never lived outside a city it might not make sense, but go anywhere semi-final and you'll find abandoned/decaying/project cars in front of homes.

And OP found a pile of cans, not signs of a previous squat. That could have easily just been lazy cleanup. Have you never put off cleaning up after a party?

You're reaching with all of your "signs."
No, when they all add up they are all signs it's not currently in use... but when considering all info so far, it's obvous this is not enough to call it abandoned and OP should stop trying to squat this.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Which the posts you're currently replying to literally acknowledge.

If OP wants to continue, for whatever reason, they need to do more research. My advice would be to not go any further though, as explained.

"There are signs a place is abandoned, they don't appear when you go on vacation."

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"There are signs a place is abandoned, they don't appear when you go on vacation."
There are signs it's not in use currently, but it's clearly not abandoned so they may just be away temporarily.

I have made myself clear, I apologize if I was not clear before. At this point I see no value in repeating this.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
astro I doubt anyone hacked the meter, when those things get disconnected it sends a signal back to the power company, they might not check it out that day but they would know pretty darn quick if anyone tampered with it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
astro I doubt anyone hacked the meter, when those things get disconnected it sends a signal back to the power company, they might not check it out that day but they would know pretty darn quick if anyone tampered with it.
I've been hacking meters for years in th UK for people in squats, it's very easy to do without detection. In the UK at least, may be different in the US.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
There are signs it's not in use currently, but it's clearly not abandoned so they may just be away temporarily.

I have made myself clear, I apologize if I was not clear before. At this point I see no value in repeating this.

You asked where you said it was abandoned I pointed it out to you.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
The idea that someone was previously squatting there and then just left is completely ludicrous. Why would a squatter leave a nice house? Why would they be absent the vast majority of the time? I mean the whole fucking point of squatting is you gotta make extra effort to be there for years and years and never leave in order to claim it.

The obvious explanation (well, obvious to everyone else here) is that the homeowner, a family member, or a friend is there occasionally to take care of the place. This isn't a rare situation.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
The idea that someone was previously squatting there and then just left is completely ludicrous. Why would a squatter leave a nice house? Why would they be absent the vast majority of the time? I mean the whole fucking point of squatting is you gotta make extra effort to be there for years and years and never leave in order to claim it.

The obvious explanation (well, obvious to everyone else here) is that the homeowner, a family member, or a friend is there occasionally to take care of the place. This isn't a rare situation.

Haunted. The house is haunted.

(Alternatively, squatter was inside the house as OP walked in, then ran away/hid somewhere because he assumed it was the legit owners showing up rather than a possible competitor).

...I feel bad in that reading this thread is super entertaining but I legit hope OP doesn't do this because this would probably end really, really poorly. Like "shotgun" poorly.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Underneath the house is a link to an Umbrella Corp base. You won't make it past the laser cheese grater in the hallway, bro.

jim-jam bongs

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is very entertaining, so thanks for that OP.

I say go for it, fortune favours the bold. At the very least you'll get a great story out of the experience.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have enjoyed watching you gradually move the advice based on "research" after having not read the thread originally 😛

I have no idea what happend when I first posted. It was showing as the second page and I thought I'd read all of the first, then I refreshed and it was on page 7. I must have been confused between threads...

You're right through, there is some irony there. :p

Last edited:

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
OP, as someone who is working through a parents sudden and absolutely debilitating disability, causing me to spend the last 9 months attempting to settle her affairs: if a rando made my life more difficult due to some cutesy crap like this, I would absolutely fight it tooth and nail with zero sympathy. I'd be pissed as hell.

Leave these people alone. There is a very high likelihood that someone is hurting hard here, and struggling to keep up.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
OP, as someone who is working through a parents sudden and absolutely debilitating disability, causing me to spend the last 9 months attempting to settle her affairs: if a rando made my life more difficult due to some cutesy crap like this, I would absolutely fight it tooth and nail with zero sympathy. I'd be pissed as hell.

Leave these people alone. There is a very high likelihood that someone is hurting hard here, and struggling to keep up.

This. So much this. Incredibly rude, selfish, reckless, foolish, entitled, etc.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
The 5 months mention is a shock. That goes by in a flash when you have a disaster in your family. It's literally nothing.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Had it been a house in a ghost town like the place that inspired Silent hill maybe. But I feel it might not be healthy and yo don't know if someone won't come back. It is not careful to do so, not respectful, and the sresscaused for people who might live and you is not worth it.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

I agree. The only context in which "previous" goes before "squatter" is if they took a shit somewhere you were going to as well

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Idk. This sounds like the situation with my grandparents. We had to move them out of their house into retirement home and have been trying to sell the house for the past 2 years. So it sits pretty abandoned and is not maintained, but it still has power and obviously belongs to someone lol

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Idk. This sounds like the situation with my grandparents. We had to move them out of their house into retirement home and have been trying to sell the house for the past 2 years. So it sits pretty abandoned and is not maintained, but it still has power and obviously belongs to someone lol

Don't you wish you had people just busting in and leaving beer cans? It's the ethical thing ya know.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
The law wisely provides for society to make the best use of land by leaving piles of beer cans in other people's property

Well those people really deserve it. How dare they leave property unused while they mourn their dead/sick parents while trying to balance their own lives and get their affairs sorted!

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
OP should just get in on the sale of properties with delinquent property taxes if he's just looking for a random house. Just have to pay the last 3/4 years of back taxes and you'll eventually either get paid in full with interest or you get a house.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
OP should just get in on the sale of properties with delinquent property taxes if he's just looking for a random house. Just have to pay the last 3/4 years of back taxes and you'll eventually either get paid in full with interest or you get a house.

This sounds too easy. What's the catch?

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
This reminds me of a thread on the old site about a guy who was planning to flee the country to escape his student loans.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This. I had a bar exam question all about it. It exists in both common law and civil law jurisdictions so I got the joy of studying in English and Spanish.

In most civil law jurisdictions it's usually 30 years in the case of bad faith possession (you knew that house wasnt yours) and 10 years or so if you bought but it turned out to not be legit. It must be notorious that you claimed it (all the neighborhood knows).

In common law jurisdictions, same rules sort of apply but states like Florida add stuff like paying taxes and building a fence.

In other words, bad faith possession takes up to 30 years plus other requirements to take hold. You'll never make it, OP. But consult a lawyer in your state and bring him some lols.
I was going to add this. Also, last I studied, in some jurisdictions, if you claim ownership in bad faith, adverse possession will NOT even apply.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think "paying" for things is really the OP's bag

Status
Not open for further replies.