• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Tonight, Nyla Rose, was the first trans woman to win a major wrestling world title, winning AEW's Women's World Championship.

The match was absolutely incredible. Here are the highlights:

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It was an outstanding match. I'm a big Riho fan, but if the belt had to swap hands I'm really happy it happened in a match like that. Nyla Rose is great and she really showcased her talent there.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Maybe a bit early for the spoilers. ..

That aside: I positively loved that match. Nyla was amazing and her and Riho really worked well together. Riho can fly across the ring to really sell Nyla's strength and Nyla managed to find the right level of reaction to Riho to make it clear that those were some powerful moves but they just weren't enough.

Felt the ending was a bit weak, but that is common for the indies. Riho went from almighty comeback to dead in nothing flat.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How've they handled this girl story wise?

I mean, this is wrestling, so heels are gonna heel the shit out of this.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
The match was indeed amazing. It was just really outstanding from start to finish. I'm really happy for Nyla.

But also sad that Riho lost the belt

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
sick

isn't AEW super chill? and one of the wrestlers is friends with Undertale's Toby Fox?

sounds like a dope network all around

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grats to Nyla. At least AEW lets their black wrestlers do cool shit during Black History month unlike WWE.

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Riho with the fucking snapdragon suplex on someone like two and a half times bigger than her is a marvel. This match was insane, probably the best women's match of AEW's short history so far. Nyla has improved a ton since her debut and I'm really excited to see how they handle her as champ. Tables beware.

NOW GIVE ME THAT YUKA/RIHO FEUD

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Riho is a veteran who did a good job defending the belt during it's first run. Women's division in general was a real mess for months. The pieces are only now coming together.
Riho was part of the problem though. She looks like she's 90lbs and she's regularly beating people who outweigh and out muscle her by a large margin. It stretched the bounds of credibility and her matches weren't that good either. I don't know if it was her or the talent she was working with.

OP
OP
Mahonay

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Riho was part of the problem though. She looks like she's 90lbs and she's regularly beating people who outweigh and out muscle her by a large margin. It stretched the bounds of credibility and her matches weren't that good either. I don't know if it was her or the talent she was working with.
She was super over and her matches were decent to good 🤷‍♂️

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's exactly why she works as a babyface champion. People like an underdog.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
They wanted to play her up as someone who squeaks out wins and can burst out of nowhere with a roll up or a burst of offense. But that mostly manifested as her getting her ass beat until she got a roll-up against any non-joshi wrestler. The smark in me assumes it was related to Riho's other obligations and not wanting to take too many bumps.

Starting really with Statlander they played her up as someone with a strong level of offense. And this Nyla match went farther with that with a much stronger balance of "she is like 12. of course she is going to die" coupled with "holy frigging hell, how did she do that?" levels of offense. She still bursts out of nowhere in an almost opportunistic manner, but now it is suplexes and brutal looking dropkicks.
I feel it is the match they needed to have for RIho to begin with rather than wait until she likely becomes even more of a part timer.

In terms of her matches: I enjoyed every single Riho match and think it was the kind of "different" that AEW needed to show western audiences. But I felt as a champion she was weak.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's exactly why she works as a babyface champion. People like an underdog.
Of course, I remember when Eddie beat Brock for the title, people lost their fucking minds. I remember when Rey won his first world title. But can you imagine Rey of 1996 winning the title at Wrestlemania against Orton and Kurt Angle? It'd be ridiculous.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They wanted to play her up as someone who squeaks out wins and can burst out of nowhere with a roll up or a burst of offense. But that mostly manifested as her getting her ass beat until she got a roll-up against any non-joshi wrestler. The smark in me assumes it was related to Riho's other obligations and not wanting to take too many bumps.

Starting really with Statlander they played her up as someone with a strong level of offense. And this Nyla match went farther with that with a much stronger balance of "she is like 12. of course she is going to die" coupled with "holy frigging hell, how did she do that?" levels of offense. She still bursts out of nowhere in an almost opportunistic manner, but now it is suplexes and brutal looking dropkicks.
I feel it is the match they needed to have for RIho to begin with rather than wait until she likely becomes even more of a part timer.

In terms of her matches: I enjoyed every single Riho match and think it was the kind of "different" that AEW needed to show western audiences. But I felt as a champion she was weak.
Well in all transparency, I haven't seen the match yet. I'm hoping it'll be great.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Riho is a veteran who did a good job defending the belt during it's first run. Women's division in general was a real mess for months. The pieces are only now coming together.

They hit some real snags. I still think Kylie was going to be position as top face of the company initially, with Awesome Kong/NC taking the strap from Riho. When she left and Nyla still needed some work. Riho was the go to girl and with NC panning out poorly + Awesome Kong getting sick. Nyla got a much quicker push back

Its impressive how much progress Nyla got. He character is down now, he skills are better in ring, and overall a good heel who they can still turn. I'm happy as hell to see her get it. She earned it.

Deleted member 62561

Dec 31, 2019
couldn't wait three hours for the west coast broadcast? thanks for the spoiler.