• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
Not to take away from this milestone of the first trans woman wrestling champion, but you got to hand it to the chemistry between the two performers in Riho and Rose. There was every reason in the world for this match to be bad but THEY FUCKING DID THE WORK.

Their first match exceeded expectations and this one was so much better. Proud of everyone involved.

This is only the beginning for you Nyla. Go to work, woman!

OP
OP
Mahonay

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Not to take away from this milestone of the first trans woman wrestling champion, but you got to hand it to the chemistry between the two performers in Riho and Rose. There was every reason in the world for this match to be bad but THEY FUCKING DID THE WORK.

Their first match exceeded expectations and this one was so much better. Proud of everyone involved.

This is only the beginning for you Nyla. Go to work, woman!
God they worked so well together. I'm looking forward to the eventual rematch.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact Nyla was the lead role in a trans sitcom that I auditioned twice for for two different supporting roles.

In a different world we'd have been cast mates.

I'm so excited right now.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
To quote myself from the AEW thread:

This got lost in the rapid fire posts about Cobb since it happened right after, but I really wanted to reiterate how much it meant to my 13yo who identifies as they/them to witness wrestling TV history live with Nyla Rose winning the championship. They were over the moon excited about it, even though they love Riho, too. I know they aren't perfect. I know they have people with trash political views on their roster. But at least they do try in other ways that matter, and I do give them major kudos for that.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Nyla hasn't exactly been my favorite wrestler on the division but if she keeps having matches like tonight she might end up as one of my faves. Can hardly recognize her from her first few matches to where she is now, like seriously that's so much improvement so fast.

She's growing on me like Kenny's theme song. From "Ehhhhh" to "Oh shit that's fun."

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno much about wrestling, to be honest. But seeing this is inspiring as a trans women. Even years after transitioning, I still sometimes think "Maybe I shouldn't get involved with <activity> because I'll be judged for being a transgender woman..."

And this girl is out here winning championships.

fauxtrot

Oct 25, 2017
Nyla Rose is fucking rad and I was so happy to see her win tonight! I will say, they need to upgrade the championship belt though, it looked small even on Riho.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Landmark event. Really glad they went down this route. She wasn't ready, both wrestling and promo wise, last hear when they did her intial8run for the belt.

But like other wrestlers on the roster, Nyla putthe work in and AEW put the work in her and made her such a dominating, watchable heel. Combine that with much improved promos and she quickly got to the level where she did deserve a run with the belt.

.incredibly happy for her and aew. Nyla is a PoC too!

OP
OP
Mahonay

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I dunno much about wrestling, to be honest. But seeing this is inspiring as a trans women. Even years after transitioning, I still sometimes think "Maybe I shouldn't get involved with <activity> because I'll be judged for being a transgender woman..."

Hell yeah
giphy.gif

sharkkiee

Aug 6, 2018
User Warned: Threadwhining
Thanks for the spoiler...not! not all of us are based in the US...I'm pretty annoyed right now as I was going to watch it as soon as I got home from work a few hours ago, had a quick browse on here and see your post...... IF I had of watched an episode of a TV series and did the same thing you think people would be pleased?

Chie Satonaka

Oct 25, 2017
Just got finished watching it. It would have been nice being able to watch the show without the spoiler. Thanks, OP!

I don't particularly care for Nyla Rose as a performer, but regardless, this is a historical moment, and that match was considerably better than I expected.

Congrats to her.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Considering WWE just had Santino return at the Rumble in drag to enter the women's royal rumble match...

This is awesome from AEW, and Nyla has to feel on top of the world right now. Great for her. :D
Oh god. I remember everyone being like "oh yeah all rumors are Santino is getting ready for the Rumble, lets hope they dont put her in the womens rumble again" before the Royal Rumble. And WWE decided that the thing everyone was afraid they would do because it is stupid was a good thing to do.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
What I love most about this is the crowd reactions. There's no shitty signs, no shitty chants, just legitimate reactions to this beast of a woman doing beastly wrestling things. As special as all of this is, the fact it's being generally treated as not-special and just a regular normal thing by both the company and the fans is an incredibly strong message in itself.

Doesn't just show with Nyla, but also with Sonny Kiss. He's not treated as a freak, or as a weird anomaly, his fluidity isn't a gimmick. He's just Sonny Kiss, the wrestler.

Sep 12, 2018
Fantastic, really looking forward to watching this later.

Pretty out of the loop and have only been watching AEW for a few months so this thread is legit the first time hearing she's trans too.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
They don't even mention that she's trans. They just refer to her as an ass kicking woman.

If it was WWE it would be a very different story.

I could only imagine the WWE would've handled it one of two ways, either go the tasteless "let's have the heel slander her on television to get heat" or call so much attention to the fact to prop theirselves up.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

So, Sophia is #AllElite? 🙌🏽🙌🏽😁

On a more serious note, it was awesome seeing Nyla win. I've heard some interviews with her and to know the struggle that she has suffered to get to where she is and the backlash that surely is coming her way just because some people can't understand her makes me appreciate her feat even more.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This had me and my wife high fiving in our living room like utter dorks. The match was excellent and it was the right time to put the belt on Nyla. From a wrestling perspective it was the best episode yet. From a history making perspective, it's one for the books.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
AEW won't do that. They built the company on being inclusive.

This so much.

Riho would not have been champ in WWE, let alone even allowed in the company
Marko Stunt would just be a gimmick and throw out in 15 seconds of a Rumble
Nyla would have to be dragged through the dirt in WWE

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something I loved too was that Nyla had a backstage 'bubbleh' moment after the win where she bitched at people, Jericho-style.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
God Bless Dustin Rhodes as a coach.

The match was amazing, i always felt that Riho was a little timid in AEW compared in Japan (only watched some matches on youtube), but in this match and the match with shoko nakajima, you can feel that she is more confortable with wrestling in US soil.

Congratz to Nyla, making history hell yeah.

And i expect the inminent Rematch in Revolution to be just as good as this match.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Boy I'm sure Jim Cornette will have some shitty things to say about this on his podcast, given his recent whining about AEW being "All Inclusive Wrestling" like that's a bad thing.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Boy I'm sure Jim Cornette will have some shitty things to say about this on his podcast, given his recent whining about AEW being "All Inclusive Wrestling" like that's a bad thing.
Jim Cornette should be on the list of other YouTube/Podcast figures that are persona non grata on these forums, to be fair. It's only his obscurity that keeps him from that. Maybe we can honor code not mentioning him amongst ourselves.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is legit cool. It's also exciting from a story perspective because it means her and Statlander can have a good ol fashioned hoss fued over the belt

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God Bless Dustin Rhodes as a coach.

The match was amazing, i always felt that Riho was a little timid in AEW compared in Japan (only watched some matches on youtube), but in this match and the match with shoko nakajima, you can feel that she is more confortable with wrestling in US soil.

Congratz to Nyla, making history hell yeah.

And i expect the inminent Rematch in Revolution to be just as good as this match.
Ooh I didn't know Dustin was her coach, awesome!

Jim Cornette has a lot of shitty takes in store.

Super Craig

Oct 27, 2017
Cornette hasn't had a problem with Nyla in the past IIRC. He did suggest working her being trans into her character though.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Can't attest to being into wrestling so thanks for making others aware - really good news and great to see. Will always bring a smile seeing trans success. Sounds like it was a great match reading the responses here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing to see. And what a match. Nyla and Riho have incredible chemistry together. I've been a Nyla Rose fan since day one (of AEW!) and I'm super happy that they've put the belt on her. It's gonna be a fun run with it I think.

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US KENNY

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Congratulations to her. I don't watch wrestling and have questions (relating to the sport) but I realise this isn't the place.

Could someone be so kind as to link me a thread that will explain why this wouldn't happen in WWE? I'm a little confused.
Also I greatly enjoyed those suplexes off the back of the suplex thread :D

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a joke that she wasn't the first women's champion, but better late than never