• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it looked a lot worse than a pinched nerve. Had me pretty worried. Whatever it is i hope he recovers soon

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Anyway, friendly reminder to everyone here, but tomorrow, Kenny Omega is challenging Fenix for the AAA Mega Championship (their top title) at their Heroes Inmortales event. It will be available for free on their Twitch channel.

They had a 4 3/4-star banger last year for Northeast Wrestling, hopefully they can do the same here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Anyway, friendly reminder to everyone here, but tomorrow, Kenny Omega is challenging Fenix for the AAA Mega Championship (their top title) at their Heroes Inmortales event. It will be available for free on their Twitch channel.

They had a 4 3/4-star banger last year for Northeast Wrestling, hopefully they can do the same here.
I miss your old Kenny Omega avatar.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Oh yeah, I want Scorpio to branch off into singles but LEAVE FRANKIE AND CHRISTOPHER ALONE

I'm with you.
EjNlZ.gif

#FunNPlayful

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's worth keeping modest expectations with an AEW game, it's likely not going to be a AAA game. I anticipate a smaller digital only title focused on solid AKI engine inspired gameplay over all the bells and whistles day one. Should it do well, I can see them building on that and eventually getting something at the level of all the creation suite stuff of 2K but actually fun to play, but the first game is probably gonna be smaller.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's worth keeping modest expectations with an AEW game, it's likely not going to be a AAA game. I anticipate a smaller digital only title focused on solid AKI engine inspired gameplay over all the bells and whistles day one. Should it do well, I can see them building on that and eventually getting something at the level of all the creation suite stuff of 2K but actually fun to play, but the first game is probably gonna be smaller.

My hope is something roughly equivalent to WCW/NWO Revenge for a first AEW game. A solid roster, excellent gameplay with basic match types, a simple wrestler creation function, and a replayable story mode where you pick a title belt to challenge for and unlock hidden characters along the way (Billy Gunn! Jerry Lynn! Dean Malenko! AKI Man!)

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is asking for more than that.

My hope is something roughly equivalent to WCW/NWO Revenge for a first AEW game. A solid roster, excellent gameplay with basic match types, a simple wrestler creation function, and a replayable story mode where you pick a title belt to challenge for and unlock hidden characters along the way (Billy Gunn! Jerry Lynn! Dean Malenko! AKI Man!)
Yeah this is what I'm picturing.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I always preferred Revenge to No Mercy. NM had a lot more options, but it felt slower and bulkier to me. Revenge is my GOAT pro wrestling game.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
I pointed this out a while ago but I love checking the job descriptions on Syn Sophia's website every-so-often.

Still hard to say if this is indicative of anything but the fact they still bring up that they are good at wrestling games.

http://www.syn-sophia.co.jp/work/character-model-designer/

This is for a character model designer.

I just had the same idea a week or two ago and checked the job descriptions on their site and there was no mention of wrestling games. I was disappointed!

There's also this one now:

"Try face-to-face, jump over and over, hit and
kick, or try
wrestling skills ...

No, I'm not playing.
This is also our important work.
It is an important task to bring the game character to life."

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I just had the same idea a week or two ago and checked the job descriptions on their site and there was no mention of wrestling games. I was disappointed!

There's also this one now:

"Try face-to-face, jump over and over, hit and
kick, or try
wrestling skills ...

No, I'm not playing.
This is also our important work.
It is an important task to bring the game character to life."
That one reads like a bit of a joke but they do like bringing up wrestling. They still seem to be very proud of it.

Deleted member 35217

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Fantasy booking time -

Kaz and Scorpio win the tournament. Daniels goes mad with jealousy does his satanic priest gimmick he never got to go all the way with and leads a faction with Dark Order giving them a chance to tweak their characters into something that might work.

Not what I would actually do but something fun that popped into my mind.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Wrestlemania 2000 is the creamy centre. It didn't have slow down in four player matches and had full entrances.

I think I was already starting to wane in my wrestling viewership habits at that time because I don't remember playing WM2000. I see the release date was October 1999. So that sounds about right.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017
Idk there's some people speculating about a TGA reveal which seems way beyond the scope of an AEW video game year 1.

Maybe. It would be also be really good marketing for AEW.

There's a pretty solid argument to be made that there is a large crossover of video game and wrestling fans. I mean, look at the website we're on, and how active this thread is. Tony Khan is a smart guy and has to be thinking of ways to reach new people.

A hyped up new AKI game would be a way to potentially reach a bunch of lapsed wrestling fans. Anecdotally, I never watched WCW until I got WCW vs NWO World Tour and it made me want to check out the show.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Soooo...when do we see Cody with the belt? Because it's definitely happening at some point, right? Three years from now after Jericho, Moxley, and Omega all have their runs?

Long-term booking:

Omega beats Moxley at Full Gear (thought Moxley probably shouldn't be losing, but let's go with it)

Moxley wins the belt in five months

Omega takes it off Moxley eventually after being "the only guy who could beat Moxley"?

Orrrr...maybe not. Because that would give Kenny two wins against Moxley. So I guess Moxley could beat Omega in his first title defense, then we do a rematch where Kenny trains harder than ever, wins a #1 contender's match and gets to face Moxley and takes the belt off him the second time around.

Orrrr...I suck at fantasy booking and could never do this job professionally.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Do we have the quarterly ratings? Any Meltzer subscribers want to let us know how the quarter hours shaped up and if Darby actually drew in the main event, or if maybe he's not clicking with the TV audience? Him and Jimmy Havok lost 156,000 viewers last week...

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
On another random note, here was Dynamite's placement in the cable rankings for their first 3 shows:

Week 1: #2
Week 2: #8
Week 3: #5

NXT was #30 this week.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
To be fair, I think our wrestling community has always been pretty good. Most of the squabbling and shit talking that happens in the OT is kayfabe. Obviously I get that that isn't for everyone.
Yeah, the one in the Hangouts isn't really for me. This one's more enjoyable for me, mostly because a lot of the insider jargon is kept to a minimum and the people here tend to be a bit more chill. The overuse of jargon in particular throws me off.

It's like if there was a Magic Show Appreciation OT, and everyone in the thread kept using magician jargon, yet no one's a magician themselves. We all know the Statue of Liberty didn't really disappear, but talking like you're in the backroom at the Magic Castle to prove that you know it isn't real just looks weird.

Anyway, that's a long-winded way of saying that when I read the wrestling OT, I usually imagine everyone's Gob and Tony Wonder arguing with each other.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
On another random note, here was Dynamite's placement in the cable rankings for their first 3 shows:

Week 1: #2
Week 2: #8
Week 3: #5

NXT was #30 this week.

I think that puts things into context better as it relates to concern that the ratings are crashing. Granted, baseball got postponed on Wed night, but the overall ranking was in line or better than it was the previous week. I'm thinking/hoping they are going to settle out around where they are now, which is well above internal expectations and is more than enough to sustain them as a major promotion, which is all we should really care about.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the one in the Hangouts isn't really for me. This one's more enjoyable for me, mostly because a lot of the insider jargon is kept to a minimum and the people here tend to be a bit more chill. The overuse of jargon in particular throws me off.

It's like if there was a Magic Show Appreciation OT, and everyone in the thread kept using magician jargon, yet no one's a magician themselves. We all know the Statue of Liberty didn't really disappear, but talking like you're in the backroom at the Magic Castle to prove that you know it isn't real just looks weird.

Anyway, that's a long-winded way of saying that when I read the wrestling OT, I usually imagine everyone's Gob and Tony Wonder arguing with each other.
Well said. Most of that shit comes off real lame like an English speaker referring to anime by their Japanese names only.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Soooo...when do we see Cody with the belt? Because it's definitely happening at some point, right? Three years from now after Jericho, Moxley, and Omega all have their runs?

Long-term booking:

Omega beats Moxley at Full Gear (thought Moxley probably shouldn't be losing, but let's go with it)

Omega takes it off Moxley eventually after being "the only guy who could beat Moxley"?

Orrrr...maybe not. Because that would give Kenny two wins against Moxley. So I guess Moxley could beat Omega in his first title defense, then we do a rematch where Kenny trains harder than ever, wins a #1 contender's match and gets to face Moxley and takes the belt off him the second time around.

IMO, Cody doesn't care about being the champion right now. People are projecting their fears that he is booking himself to be a Jarrett or HHH, but he seems to be OK with having a role and spot below that of being "the guy." On their PPVs, including All In, his match has been middle of the card. It's been the more story-driven, theatrical match. That's his thing- the old school, ring psychology based, southern style of match. I fully expect that he's building himself up to be taken down by Jericho which will further elevate his title reign and make it a bigger deal when somebody dethrones him. Cody has elevated Darby, he has elevated Spears, and is elevating MJF. He is doing a lot to put over the rest of the roster, so it really irks me to see people just labeling it all as ego-stroking. Maybe I'm wrong and he beats Jericho and has a dominant year run as champion, but I really doubt that.

With that said, I'm sure he'll get a reign eventually, and probably deservedly. He's a great overall performer and he's massively over. If/when he turns heel, I have no doubt he'll be an awesome heel as well.

I think in the short term, Jericho will be champion for another few months before Moxley or Omega take it from him. I expect it'll be a while before Cody gets his turn at the top.

Indiana Jones

Oct 27, 2017

Long-term booking:

Mox and Omega and PAC should all be champion before Cody. Cody should challenge all of them and lose.

Allow a "Cody can't win the big one" story to settle in so when he finally does it, it feels like a really big deal.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
top 10 cable show every wednesday seems like a reasonable expectation of success to have right?

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
There are at least two big missions for Cody before he becomes champion:

-Put over Darby Allin in a rematch.

-Put over MJF whenever they inevitably feud.

Those are at least two guys with star potential that I think he can have a hand in helping to get to the next level.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
IMO, Cody doesn't care about being the champion right now. People are projecting their fears that he is booking himself to be a Jarrett or HHH, but he seems to be OK with having a role and spot below that of being "the guy." On their PPVs, including All In, his match has been middle of the card. It's been the more story-driven, theatrical match. That's his thing- the old school, ring psychology based, southern style of match. I fully expect that he's building himself up to be taken down by Jericho which will further elevate his title reign. Cody has elevated Darby, he has elevated Spears, and is elevating MJF. He is doing a lot to put over the rest of the roster, so it really irks me to see people just labeling it all as ego-stroking. Maybe I'm wrong and he beats Jericho and has a dominant year run as champion, but I really doubt that.
💯 this. He is not busking in the glory or looking to advance his wrestling career. He's running a business, and will put his wrestlers over himself.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
top 10 cable show every wednesday seems like a reasonable expectation of success to have right?

I think most (probably all) of us just talking out of our asses on these metrics, as we don't actually know what they mean. *puts on newsie fedora and puts on old timey American newsie accent* For year 1 of a new show, yes, that sounds like an excellent achievement! *no idea what I'm actually talking about*

kris.

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just want Kenny to eventually take the belt off of Mox. That match will be a GOAT.

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I think most (probably all) of us just talking out of our asses on these metrics, as we don't actually know what they mean. *puts on newsie fedora* For year 1 of a new show, yes, that sounds like an excellent achievement! *no idea what I'm actually talking about*
I just listen for the sound bites from execs.

When I heard 'best premier for TNT in 5 years' that gets me excited. Even with the drop they have to be looking at that and thinking there is an audience to be built on. I'd like to think they know this is going to take time to build. It depends on what the mindset is over at TNT.

Status
Not open for further replies.