• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
That would be good continuity with him and MJF too. Start with Cutler already posing in the ring with his music going, have the broadcast team introduce the show, then have MJF come out to properly start the show and cut a little promo on the way to the ring and mocking Cutler again before introducing his muscle, Wardlow.

And do you then follow that squash up with a Jericho appearance, or something totally different?

Anyway, I'm psyched. PnP vs. Private Party is also a solid choice to start with, or even a battle royal with a bunch of crazy spots. Though I'd think they'll save that for the middle of the show somewhere.
Who do you think will be in the battle royale? We absolutely nothing about it.

12 spots.

I guess Darby and Mox aren't included, arguably the top guy and the top new guy.

Wondering if this is like gonna be won by a future star, an MJF or a Sabian or if it's to give the likes of Page and PAC some prize to feud over until the mid card belt is ready.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

12 spots.

I guess Darby and Mox aren't included, arguably the top guy and the top new guy.

Wondering if this is like gonna be won by a future star, an MJF or a Sabian or if it's to give the likes of Page and PAC some prize to feud over until the mid card belt is ready.

Peter Avalon goes over... the top and loses leaving Jimmy Havoc as the winner.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

12 spots.

I'm thinking it'll be mostly mid and low level guys, and maybe a surprise one-time-only appearance or two.

Janela
Spears
Cutler
CIMA
Daniels
Page
Dustin (!)
PAC
Wardlow (come to think of this, this could be designed for him)
Billy Gunn (SURPRISE)...J/k. Jimmy Havok
DDP (gotta get that diamond cutter on TNT in 2019)
Orange Cassidy

QT Marshall or Tommy Dreamer maybe? And there's Avalon too.

I dunno. And it's the last two who will face off the week after for Frodo's ring, right?

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
MJF Y2J was promo gold.
giphy.gif

I'm glad you've decided to join us in the golden city.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I was legit disappointed when Moxley made his challenge and Darbys music didn't hit.

So, you better believe I was marking out when Darby called for the mic.
I haven't been so hyped for a TV match in like twenty years.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I honestly kinda liked that Mox put out an open challenge and that someone accepted it after a while. I think it had more "impact" when Darby accepted his challenge after winning his match.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
It was a good subversion of expectations, he even did a lead-in line another two times to really sell the expectation that someone would come out there and then.
It de-programs those expectations drilled into people's heads by WWE and makes things less dull and predictable.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Meltzer Ratings for Full Gear:

Baker-Priestly: 1.75

Ortiz & Santana-Young Bucks: 4.25

Hangman-Pac: 4.25

Spears-Janela: 3.25

SCU-Lucha Bros-Private Party: 4

Riho-Emi: 4

Jericho-Cody: 4.5

Moxley-Omega: 4.5

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Meltzer Ratings for Full Gear:

Baker-Priestly: 1.75

Ortiz & Santana-Young Bucks: 4.25

Hangman-Pac: 4.25

Spears-Janela: 3.25

SCU-Lucha Bros-Private Party: 4

Riho-Emi: 4

Jericho-Cody: 4.5

Moxley-Omega: 4.5

Saw these in the other thread. I am ok with these ratings except for Cody/Jericho. I thought it was a bit boring and long. I'd probably give it just a 3 stars. Baker-Priestly is on the money. That was a bit of a travesty. Britt is still too green and having her wrestle sick did not help at all. They had no chemistry and the match was a sloppy mess.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Saw these in the other thread. I am ok with these ratings except for Cody/Jericho. I thought it was a bit boring and long. I'd probably give it just a 3 stars. Baker-Priestly is on the money. That was a bit of a travesty. Britt is still too green and having her wrestle sick did not help at all. They had no chemistry and the match was a sloppy mess.

I feel like I watched a different match. Thought it was a solid 2.75.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
From the Observer:

AAA: Pentagon Jr. & Rey Fenix are going to start as regulars as opposed to mostly working indie dates in about five or so weeks

ROH: The big question regards talent whose deals are up within the next few months, most notably Marty Scurll, Brody King, Jeff Cobb, and Bandido. Scurll's deal expires on 11/30 and people have believed he was AEW bound when his deal was up from the moment AEW was formed. ROH is said to have been making a strong offer to try and keep him and there's always WWE, because he'd be a lock to be a top star in NXT with his ready-made name to that audience. Cobb's big thing is still wanting to work as much New Japan as possible, and Bandido is the same, but one would think everyone wants Bandido. In the case of Bandido, another option those close to him have noted to us is that he signs nowhere, with the idea he could be the top guy who is a pure indie and could work for anyone, the way Pentagon & Fenix have been

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I would say i am happy and sad about the Lucha Bros? The guys need to stop taking so many dates if they want to have more longevity, but it is always sad when someone like them leaves the indie scene.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Hes been rambling and spotty as hell on commentary but hes also called all the big moments in the iconic way that only he can and has been a large part of the reason why those clips work so well too.

Jun 14, 2019
for all of jim ross's issues and mess ups, the guy is good at times and i defo like his style and his unique use of descriptive like words at times to describe such simple things going on in the ring.

its something i genuinely hate about most other wrestling commentators

tope suicide or how the fuck its said is shit as fuck annoying to hear constantly by the other commentators, especially whne u hear it like 15x a match, where as with ross he maybe not mention the move but he will dam sure make it sound like its something dangerous and really oversells the move on commentatry

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
for all of jim ross's issues and mess ups, the guy is good at times and i defo like his style and his unique use of descriptive like words at times to describe such simple things going on in the ring.

its something i genuinely hate about most other wrestling commentators

tope suicide or how the fuck its said is shit as fuck annoying to hear constantly by the other commentators, especially whne u hear it like 15x a match, where as with ross he maybe not mention the move but he will dam sure make it sound like its something dangerous and really oversells the move on commentatry

Yeah hes sorely needed to balance out someone like excalibur who screams tope suicidaaaaa every 2 minutes.

Coldman

Oct 25, 2017
They should get a woman on commentary. The booking is already making enough of a boy's club, they probably don't need three older white dudes on commentary at once.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
He elevates stuff like Dustin vs Cody, Cody and Jericho segments, MJF's turn etc, too much to drop him from commentary completely.

He shouldn't be on commentary for entire shows though.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Chris Jericho gets interviewed by Jay & Dan on TSN:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Caught up with the latest Dynamite last night. Man, that might have been the most entertaining episode yet for me. They did a great job of setting up a lot of angles and stories. I've been hesitant to go overboard with the old school WCW comparisons, but parts of that show really felt like vintage Nitro to me. Great stuff.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
One thing JR does in AEW, which I really appreciate, is keeping Excalibur in check.

Excalibur is basically a walking encyclopaedia of wrestling knowledge, knows everything but he tends to not explain enough sometimes.

I remember on two occasions that JR pulled him up, one time for calling Sakura a legend but not explaining why and also calling a submission move but not explaining what the move did.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's making flubs on commentary, I get it. It's not the easiest job. But JR has sounded so unenthusiastic about the product and fucks up names so much. Outside of getting the casual nostalgic audience to go "oh wow! Jim ross! Thats neat!". I don't see his appeal or what he brings to the table in 2019

Keith Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking as a person who is watching wrestling on a weekly basis for maybe the first time ever in my life (always watched a few PPV's with my friends in the past, but never really got in to it seriously), but I've been loving my time with AEW.

Few thoughts from a "casual:"
- $50 PPV was/is a TOUGH pill to swallow for "casuals" like me when the "market price" for Wrestlemania and others has been set at $10. I was able to split the cost with a friend, but that is a hefty ask. The quality of the PPV was great, but can't see spending $200 or so on PPV's in a year that likely will feature the culmination of feuds and whatnot. If I start a pattern of missing a few of those, can certainly see my interest waning if they price me out. I know comparing AEW and WWE isn't "one-to-one," but I think asking anywhere more than $20 for a PPV is a bummer.

-I am fiending for a AEW video game. Haven't touched a wrestling game since the N64 ones and I'd love for a new one that is nowhere near the formulaic garbage that the yearly WWE games seem to vomit up each year.

-It's just interesting reading this thread. I remember Cody having a goofy gimmick in WWE and never watched anything really else he's ever done. There seems to be a lot of hate for him (not saying it's unfair or anything as I haven't followed him closely), but he's consistently put on some of my favorite matches and had some of my favorite segments since the formation of AEW.

-Even the things "hated" by many on here, I seem to be a lot less bothered by. JR's mistakes are more endearing than distracting. Britt Baker and Spears have been "fine." There is basically no one that I dread seeing in AEW. Everything is all kind of new and it's exciting to see how they develop and where they decide to take the characters and I'm just along for the ride.

- Give me more Orange Cassidy.

Just saw that Spears post a few up and it just blew my mind that I just made the connection where I had heard Jennifer Sterger's name from and she's the one who Brett Favre harassed and sent dickpics to back in the day.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
-It's just interesting reading this thread. I remember Cody having a goofy gimmick in WWE and never watched anything really else he's ever done. There seems to be a lot of hate for him (not saying it's unfair or anything as I haven't followed him closely), but he's consistently put on some of my favorite matches and had some of my favorite segments since the formation of AEW.

I fully acknowledge I didn't see Cody in NJPW or ROH, so maybe he was really bad and that justifies his poor reputation, but IMO he's been awesome in AEW. I suspect at least some of it is that he's just not considered "pure" or "legit" because he came from WWE and wrestles more of that style. Personally, I grew up on WWF so that's kind of my preferred style anyway, but in any event I think he brings a needed contrast compared to the Bucks and Omega and etc

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
I know people who were introduced to him through AEW love Orange Cassidy but I can't wait until he not only gets to do his full shtick but also cut loose in the ring.

Most people wouldn't expect Cassidy to be as good as he is at a glance.

Status
Not open for further replies.