• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh, I'm extremely excited with what they're doing with Omega.

It'd be so easy to have just immediately made him the face of the company because the hardcore fans would be behind it, but that's so boring to me.

I want to see him fight and crawl his way to the top, having matches with all kinds of younger talent on the way. I really appreciate the way AEW has been pushing younger people I don't even remotely recognize so far.

Hell, I had no fucking clue who Darby was before, now I'm fucking all about the skateboard crazy man. Vs Jericho? Fuck yeah, even if know he's going to lose.

This whole thing's only just started. There'll be plenty of time to have Omega rise up and be the mega star we know he is.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
last week 7/10
this week 10/10

but I do want to say, the market has set the price for wrestling pay per views at $10 a month. I will not pay more than $10-$20 for a ppv, so I hope they reevaluate their event costs.

shit, even the first AEW ppv were free

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
He's also clearly being put into a position where he'll have to climb the ladder before becoming the Best Bout Machine again. Give it time.

Just look at it like this: New Japan lost prime Nakamura, AJ, and Omega, and are still amazing right now. They're on a totally different level. Omega isn't surrounded by that in AEW.

Sure, but this is many viewers' first real exposure to Kenny and there's a chance that they've been filled in on how he's the best in the world right now... and that hasn't translated. I don't need to see him putting on six star matches right out of the gate, but I'd prefer if I can think of him as one to see. Maybe that comes after his inner circle (heh) fails to beat Jericho (Page has lost, Bucks were upset, and now Cody is next) and he but he could have been initially presented better, maybe? Like the Hagar to Cody's Jericho.

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Rewatching and damn that women's match was good. They did SO MUCH STUFF during the commercial too. LOL. Riho is such a goddamn star. So easy to cheer for, and she looks fantastic with the belt around her waist. I thought Britt Baker looked better than her appearance on AEW Dark.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
last week 7/10
this week 10/10

but I do want to say, the market has set the price for wrestling pay per views at $10 a month. I will not pay more than $10-$20 for a ppv, so I hope they reevaluate their event costs.

Full Gear is going to be a huge test. With TV now, you figure they'll get at least 150,000 buys. They've gotten 100,000+ with their first two paid PPVs.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Full Gear is going to be a huge test. With TV now, you figure they'll get at least 150,000 buys. They've gotten 100,000+ with their first two paid PPVs.
If they don't get more than 150k, I can see them doing something about it. If they had them at $29.99 it wouldn't hurt as much. $50 is brutal when everyone else is doing $10 - $15 ppv's.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
last week 7/10
this week 10/10

No it wasn't. First PPV was DoN which was $50 ion the US.

On the market setting the price, Both PPV's did 100,000 buys in spite of the price which is something no company outside WWE did since WCW was around and even they had shows that sold less. I get you and other feel this way but people are still willing to pay it. Their numbers proved that.

The PPV's after DoN were free in the US and iirc didn't exactly manage so much more then it where droping PPV price would be a good idea.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but this is many viewers' first real exposure to Kenny and there's a chance that they've been filled in on how he's the best in the world right now... and that hasn't translated. I don't need to see him putting on six star matches right out of the gate, but I'd prefer if I can think of him as one to see. Maybe that comes after his inner circle (heh) fails to beat Jericho (Page has lost, Bucks were upset, and now Cody is next) but he could have been initially presented better, maybe?

I feel like the next logical step is Kenny getting his shine over both PAC and Moxly in the same night, maybe even not hesitating the way MOX did tonight for added character depth. That whole thing feels like a Stone Cold/HBK/Bret Hart dynamic brewing right under our noses.

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
It's all a bit surreal isn't it, pac hitting kenny omega in the back of the head with a chair while mox stands and watches holding a barb wire baseball bat on live t.v lol. If you told me this would be a thing in 2019 i would have loved to believe you but also would have thought you were a lunatic.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
No it wasn't. First PPV was DoN which was $50 ion the US.

On the market setting the price, Both PPV's did 100,000 buys in spite of the price which is something no company outside WWE did since WCW was around and even they had shows that sold less. I get you and other feel this way but people are still willing to pay it. Their numbers proved that.

The PPV's after DoN were free in the US and iirc didn't exactly manage so much more then it where droping PPV price would be a good idea.
my bad, but the one I saw was free, so I assumed they all had been

idk but im not paying $50 to watch anything especially if there weekly show is gonna be this good

DameJay

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
There hasn't been a 2 hours of wrestling that flawless since the Smackdown Six days.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
That show was incredible!

So glad to be wrong about the Bucks going over on Private Party. also that match was incredible. Definitely leaves me questioning who the first tag champs will be. Now I'm thinking the final match might be Private Party Vs SCU.

Jericho's promo was perfect.

everyone except Britt Baker looked great in the womens tag match. Britt didn't necessarily look bad but she just hasn't shown me much. Great true to life gimmick and great finishing move but pretty mediocre otherwise.

Darby Allin and Jimmy Havoc were great.

the Moxley vs Spears match was solid. As someone who hasn't watched Moxley wrestle at all outside of WWE it was great to see him in more traditional ring gear.

last weeks main event had some great moments in it but overall was a mediocre match. This week's main event on the other hand was fucking phenomenal. Dustin keeps surprising me with how much he's got left in him as it seemed like his last WWE run sucked the life out of him. He's really been rejuvenated.

Fantastic show. Blew the doors off of the debut. My one complaint is the ad breaks. They seemed WAY worse this week than they were last week. Still, awesome show.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
That Inner Circle shirt is a great design. Doesn't look like an obvious wrestling T-shirt, more like a late-'80s alt rock band album cover.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
100 percent going to whatever AEW event rolls into Colorado whenever it does. I'm really having fun watching it on TV.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Seriously, I'm not sure they'll EVER be able to top the ending of this show. Just one thing after another. One story point teased after another. Just beautiful. This is wrestling, guys. This. Is. Wrestling.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I love how the crowd is LOUD with their reactions. There aren't too many stupid chants. I'd prefer no chants really. Just get rowdy. Let me hear people cheering and booing. It makes the matches so much more exciting. I think the chanting takes away from the in ring action. Anyone else feel the same?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I love how the crowd is LOUD with their reactions. There aren't too many stupid chants. I'd prefer no chants really. Just get rowdy. Let me hear people cheering and booing. It makes the matches so much more exciting. I think the chanting takes away from the in ring action.

The reaction to Cody showing up was insane. And his intensity was off the charts awesome. Loved him undoing his cuff links and talking trash as he was getting ready to go.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If AEW does well over the next 18 months, do you see WWE making any concerted effort to deliver a genuinely good product? Granted, it would require WWE to massively course correct, but WCW winning in the rating wars did jar him to reorganize.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Good night speech from Kenny to end the show.

Earnest, genuine, natural, not scripted. Straight from the heart. This is what the face of a company sounds like.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
If AEW does well over the next 18 months, do you see WWE making any concerted effort to deliver a genuinely good product? Granted, it would require WWE to massively course correct, but WCW winning in the rating wars did jar him to reorganize.

Even if he course corrects, His entire lot of wrestlers have been fed into a processing machine. Its going to be some growing pains

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but this is many viewers' first real exposure to Kenny and there's a chance that they've been filled in on how he's the best in the world right now... and that hasn't translated. I don't need to see him putting on six star matches right out of the gate, but I'd prefer if I can think of him as one to see. Maybe that comes after his inner circle (heh) fails to beat Jericho (Page has lost, Bucks were upset, and now Cody is next) and he but he could have been initially presented better, maybe? Like the Hagar to Cody's Jericho.
If they don't get more than 150k, I can see them doing something about it. If they had them at $29.99 it wouldn't hurt as much. $50 is brutal when everyone else is doing $10 - $15 ppv's.
It's important to note that AEW PPVs outside of America are significantly cheaper than $50- it was 15 Pounds in the UK for example, and a good number of the buys came from there

At this point, Double or Nothing is estimated at somewhere between 98,500 and 113,000 buys worldwide. The best estimate has U.S. PPV buys at around 71,000, with almost an exact 50/50 split between television and B/R Live. That's notable because nobody does a 50/50 split. The biggest split I've heard of for a television PPV and streaming was Conor McGregor vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov, which was an 80/20 split in favor of television. Usually it's closer to 85/15.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
It's 12:18 and I don't want to go to sleep because I'm thinking about AEW Dynamite. Goddamn what a show. @_@

Did anyone else catch a look of confused disappointment on Tully's face after Spears lost? Or am I reading too much into things?

Zach

Oct 25, 2017
This week's show was an improvement. As I told my Discord Friendz, if last week was a C+, this week was a B. Very exciting.

JordianKnot

Oct 27, 2017
I was there tonight, that was so much fun! I almost did not go, but I'm so glad I changed my mind last minute. That felt absolutely refreshing. It wasn't a blowaway or revolutionary show by any means, but it felt REAL! The atmosphere was REAL! All the fans were having fun. All the wrestlers were having fun. Everything just clicked. I have been slowly liking AEW more and more but remained cautious, until tonight. I am firm believer now. Went crazy buying t-shirts too, haha.

In case anyone is interested, the post show dark matches were
8-man tag of SCU+Sima vs Dark Order+Angelico+Jack Evans and Joey Janela vs Kenny Omega in an "unsanctioned" match.
. That dark show main event was awesome.

Cody felt like a star. MJF felt like a star. Darby Allin even felt like a star. The Inner Circle felt like a real unit. Not a fan of the name but Jericho is the best. He killed it with the promo. Even someone like a Shawn Spears who was nothing in WWE (who I have seen live a couple times even as Tye) felt important. Everything about this show was so refreshing. I hope they stay on this path. Can't wait to see where they go next.

Got a selfie with Justin Roberts too so that's fun haha.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
What's up with Awesome Kong? She did interviews promoting AEW and she's in the intro at the beginning of the show, but she only showed up on one ppv thus far.

Lazybob

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
What's up with Awesome Kong? She did interviews promoting AEW and she's in the intro at the beginning of the show, but she only showed up on one ppv thus far.
No she's showed up at 3. DoN, Fight for the Fallen (in Brandi's corner), and All Out (In the battle royale). She's a full time producer but she will be in the ring sometimes.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
They are being extremely selective in who they use and when. The focus is on storylines not just content and matches for the sake of having them. I'm fine with that.

Awesome Kong is getting up there in age too, so it's not like she's going to be working matches all the time. She'll be doing things behind the scenes more often then in ring action.

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
There hasn't been a 2 hours of wrestling that flawless since the Smackdown Six days.
You mean 2 hours of wrestling on TV? If so then absolutely. If not then lol no.

They're already trying and failing, why do you think they're doing all the cuck storylines and Inokism bullshit? The reality is in the 90s Vince was a lot younger, had a lot of smart people surrounding him who he listened to and got incredibly lucky with two once in a generation talents at the same time. In 2019 Vince has no understanding of modern wrestling, is surrounded by yes men, has long since forgotten how to make stars and isn't getting any younger.

Anyway, great show. Shocked Private Party beat the Bucks in the first round, as I don't really think they're ready for the title at this point but it was still a cool surprise and throws the tournament wide open. And you can really tell that Jericho took one look at Darby Allin, knew he could easily be the next Jeff Hardy and said "I want to be the guy who makes him a star." Looking forward to next week.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Like I've said before, the Bucks are over enough already and people know them with all the time they get during promos and publicity. And besides, I think Excalibur was saying PP have barely been seen since they were signed compared to the Bucks. Matt and Nick will take a slightly more admin role after they get defeated by my boys PRIVATE PARTY.
Yooooo

PS. Anyone know if there's a way to download replays on Fite.tv to watch offline? Watching half of Dynamite using mobile data is gonna fucking kill it :(

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Something I noticed at the end of the episode was even though it was a clusterfuck of people, it wasn't...confusing? It was pretty clear who was fighting who and why. That effort was well appreciated, at least by me.

Superplex

Nov 4, 2017
<3
Loved the show and definitely felt that it was better than last week's

I can't wait for Shida to show up because right now the women's division is the only part of the show that doesn't move the needle for me

Deleted member 2085

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just finished watching the show. Goddamn.
I marked out multiple times, especially at the end.
Cody, MJF, Young Bucks AND Darby Allin?
What a show. 10/10
SpaceSong You should've told me it was gonna be amazing.

Jashobeam

Oct 27, 2017
great show, all action no filler, Darby needs to skateboard to ring for all his entrances. I'm not sold on Brit Baker, she is very, very green.

kradical

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish AEW would treat title matches with a bit more reverence. Having Allin challenge for the title next week when Jericho is already scheduled to defend against Cody at the PPV is lame. Allin's shot should come after Cody's.

Status
Not open for further replies.