• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
This is a more than fair point.

I would also go back to what DrewFu said in one of his posts RE: Larger wrestlers.

Maybe larger wrestlers is the wrong way to phrase it, I think more appropriate would be that AEW could absolutely use more in-ring variety.

Let's be fair.....if you're not into your flippy guys and the indie style of wrestling then you're not going to enjoy most of what the AEW roster offers.
Well said.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Honestly, I'm still stunned by the fact that it has been beating NXT in the ratings every week. Not from a product quality perspective, but from a "WWE fans just kind of watch WWE shit out of habit," so I assumed they'd be eating AEW alive. That that's not the case is fucking awesome.

Especially when a popular opinion was that NXT was going to beat AEW this week. NXT popped their rating but still fell short.

Oct 25, 2017
indie style wrestling is lit tho idk how people can not like it.

Last week was arguably the worst show and this one was still up.

Porcupine

Oct 27, 2017
but just look at the POWER of this raw specimens squeezing each other and see how they harness it in said squeeze

giphy.gif

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
At some point there must be a positive word of mouth effect for AEW. People who watch generally seem to like it and the crowds clearly are having a good time.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
Orange Cassidy is a perfect example of what I think doesn't resonate with casual viewers. We think it's funny because we get it - the casual viewer is going to see him in action and be like, wtf is this shit? lol

I'd lean to disagreeing here. My daughters have never watched wrestling before and have been watching Dynamite with me. They think Cassidy is fantastic, they're wanting to see what he can do in a "proper fight", and they reckon he'll be amazing when he takes his hands out of his pockets. I think he has the potential to appeal to a younger, casual audience, and the build so far has made him interesting. A little bit of him goes a long way though, so I think keeping him as an occasional guest at ringside or having the occasional match is ideal.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know whether it factors into it or not, but I just noticed the NXT Twitter account has 1.2M followers, whereas AEW has half(ish) of that. Don't know how they increase that awareness, but I'm pretty sure if you correlate Twitter/social media awareness to ratings, then AEW is doing pretty damn well.

How that number grows even further though, I dunno.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Yeah, why whatch the Young Bucks when you can have Mark Henry and Big Show bear hugging for 5 minutes.
Yeah people didn't actually like Undertaker, Kane or Goldberg.

Come on.

Luchasaurus is the biggest guy on the roster and he's arguably the most over guy on the roster.

I'm not advocating to bring in any old big guys, I don't want any Great Khali types in AEW, people who can't actually walk, but if you can find some big guy as good as prime Undertaker or Kane on the indies then damn right I want AEW to scoop them up.

Sinatar

Oct 25, 2017
Well it's certainly becoming clear that those millions of lapsed fans that Tony Khan kept saying he wanted to bring back weren't sitting around waiting for another wrestling promotion to appear, they've just moved on.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh? Any idea who will be available for NXT?

Read that they will have access to Roman, Becky, Miz, and Fiend over the next two weeks, and that these four in particular are expected to show up in some mix on the next two episodes.

They are not gonna take Roman and Becky off the tour to do NXT.

You'll probably just see them hold off on things until two weeks from now.

Matticers

Oct 28, 2017
Sadly at this point, dropping to 600k is no longer a tank. At the show's current trajectory, that could happen in a week or two. lol

Based on what, though? Wasn't last week their lowest rating? And that was during game 7 of the World Series. This week went up compared to that so they aren't exactly trending down towards 600k. They haven't been below 760,000-ish and that was against crazy competition. Even if it drops some, it's not crazy to give it some time. I mean, look at NXT. Their numbers weren't that impressive and now they jumped up 40% in one week. Granted, that's with a lot of WWE casuals tuning in after seeing some NXT guys first hand and wanting to see what the show is all about but still. NXT was around that 600k mark a few weeks ago, now they're practically pulling ahead. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it went back and forth into 2020. But I do think both shows will trend up from this point, not down.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I'd lean to disagreeing here. My daughters have never watched wrestling before and have been watching Dynamite with me. They think Cassidy is fantastic, they're wanting to see what he can do in a "proper fight", and they reckon he'll be amazing when he takes his hands out of his pockets. I think he has the potential to appeal to a younger, casual audience, and the build so far has made him interesting. A little bit of him goes a long way though, so I think keeping him as an occasional guest at ringside or having the occasional match is ideal.
This.

My son (11)started not liking AEW because it was too bloody for him. As the weeks have gone by, he's been watching a bit and he totally loves OC to the point that he make-believe wrestles with me and says: " Dad, here comes the chop!" and he does the exact same thing that OC does.

I still think that even though WWE pushed their panic button, and still couldn't beat Dynamite, goes to show you that AEW is in a very good place right now. People still forget that in the eyes of most casual viewers all these wrestlers are new, and people have been conditioned for decades that wrestlers are big and bulky. So when they see smaller wrestlers doing flips and crazy moves, they don't know what to think so some of them leave to the known entity which is WWE. People are afraid of change, and that's true even for wrestling.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
From this week's issue of the Observer:

The original lineup for AEW Dynamite on 11/6 was to have PAC vs. CIMA, but Tony Khan a few days before changed it to Trent. The feeling was The Best Friends segments have done well in 18-49 and that CIMA had been losing too much, so he moved CIMA into a six-man tag on Dark. The other change was originally it was going to be Private Party vs. Jack Evans & Angelico vs. Dark Order for the third spot in the tag team title match on the PPV. But the idea was to treat it like a sport and that Private Party and Dark Order lost in the semifinals, so in a sports tournament, Kazarian & Scorpio won the gold (they wore medals on the show), Pentagon & Fenix got the silver and so the two losers in the semifinals would battle for third, the bronze, and that the PPV match would have all three medalists against each other.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
AEW has been a victim of their success in a lot of ways. In 2019, if you debut with insta sell outs and draw 1.4 million on your debut show, it's only down from there. If they started with where they're at now, they would still be doing better than many thought possible but without the perception that the product is tanking.

Well it's certainly becoming clear that those millions of lapsed fans that Tony Khan kept saying he wanted to bring back weren't sitting around waiting for another wrestling promotion to appear, they've just moved on.

Maybe you're being facetious with the millions of fans thing, but I'm not sure they ever quite said that. I DO think they are drawing a lapsed fan audience because there hasn't seemed to be a ton of crossover between their audience and WWE. I think this is another place where people's expectations are out of wack. The attitude era was 20 years ago. Most of those lapsed fans are now in their 30s and 40s, many of whom grew up and aren't interested in any wrestling anymore because they're not in middle school anymore. There clearly seems to at least be a solid audience that's interested in this product from those remaining. The bigger issue is that for 20 years, wrestling has sucked and an entire generation never got into it in the first place. When I was in middle school, literally every kid was watching wrestling. From the looks of things, that demographic has little interest in wrestling now. WWE killed wrestling in the US.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
WWE annoys the fuck out of me but I love the idea of wrestling. I used to occcasionally watch NJPW and go to indies, but now I watch AEW every week and go to local wrasslin once a month. AEW dragged me in.

I suppose I should try NXT, esp as some aussie indies i used to watch have joined, but you couldn't pay me to sit through RAW

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
AEW has been a victim of their success in a lot of ways. In 2019, if you debut with insta sell outs and draw 1.4 million on your debut show, it's only down from there. If they started with where they're at now, they would still be doing better than many thought possible but without the perception that the product is tanking.

Maybe you're being facetious with the millions of fans thing, but I'm not sure they ever quite said that. I DO think they are drawing a lapsed fan audience because there hasn't seemed to be a ton of crossover between their audience and WWE. I think this is another place where people's expectations are out of wack. The attitude era was 20 years ago. Those lapsed fans are now in their 30s and 40s, many of whom grew up and aren't interested in any wrestling anymore because they're not in middle school anymore. There clearly seems to at least be a solid audience that's interested in this product from those remaining. The bigger issue is that for 20 years, wrestling has sucked and an entire generation never got into it in the first place. When I was in middle school, literally every kid was watching wrestling. From the looks of things, that demographic has little interest in wrestling now. WWE killed wrestling in the US.
I don't sense that there's an overall perception that it's tanking.

You are 100 percent right that WWE killed the popularity of wrestling in the US.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, maybe I am misunderstanding something, but while everyone acknowledged that the Game 7 of the World Series drew away a chunk of the audience last week, no one is attributing any effect that NBA games can have on the ratings?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Can someone share these here once they become available?

Cross-posting it from the OT

Quarter hour viewership breakdown for NXT vs. AEW. NXT actually was beating them the second half of the night, but AEW opened higher.

The Wednesday night wars had its closest week to date, as NXT, with the exposure on Smackdown and Raw, plus the appearance of A.J. Styles, Luke Gallows and Karl Anderson in the main event, took a big chunk out of the AEW audience and built its own, with AEW still winning 822,000 to 813,000.

AEW had a super strong show, but that means little coming off the angle and exposure that NXT had with the fresh new brand vs. brand angle. AEW still won in the 18-49 demo with 0.35 to NXT's 0.30, but AEW had been doubling NXT in that age group.

The AEW number has to be a disappointment with the baseball playoffs over. They had done in the one million range against the playoffs weekly before dropping to 759,000 last week against a monster seventh game of the World Series.

NXT was hovering around 700,000 previously, and gained a lot of viewers by having Styles and the type of angle that AEW really can't compete with. In addition, AEW was doing video packages to promote its PPV, and that is going to slightly hurt ratings, but in a lot of ways is a necessary sacrifice you have to make to build personalities and the key matches for the PPV and the future.

AEW was up 8.9 percent from last week, but it should have been up considerably more. NXT was up 39.8 percent,. The main comparison, the NBA on ESPN did 1,491,000 viewers, up 57.4 percent from 947,000 viewers the week before against Game seven.

The key take in all this, is that while the NXT number has its reasons for rising, and we don't know if this was a one-time thing or will change next week without main roster stars, AEW has not stabilized. The number it's at is still a good number, but the continued drops among the under 35 audience that were so strong from week one is a major issue.

The key take on the show is AEW's numbers opened well ahead and mostly declined, even with a hot show. NXT opened behind, and largely grew. By saying that, you'd think it was an audience switch as the two hours were going. Yet, an examination of the quarters tells you that wasn't the case. While the AEW audience was tuning out, for the most part they were not switching to NXT.

In the overall, AEW started with a solid lead, 976,000 for Pac vs. Trent vs. 819,000 for the OC Invasion and TV main event build and the beginning of Pete Dunne vs. Damien Priest.

But NXT role and AEW fell as a general rule, with NXT winning the final 45 minutes.

In the second quarter, AEW with the Cody interview did 959,000 viewers, down 18,000. NXT with the ending of Dunne vs. Priest and the Killian Dain attack on both did 800,000 viewers, down 19,000.

In the third quarter, AEW with Private Party vs. Dark Order did 809,000 viewers, a loss of 150,000. NXT with Taynara vs. Santana Garrett did 813,000, winning slightly, with a gain of 13,000 viewers. So in both these quarters it's not so much the same people switching.

In the fourth quarter, AEW had the ending of the Private Party vs. Dark Order match and the Chris Jericho video, doing 827,000 which was up 18,000. NXT had Shayna Baszler vs. Dakota Kai, which did 819,000, up 6,000. So again, not a switch.

In quarter five, AEW had Riho & Shanna vs. Emi Sakura & Jamie Hayter, which did 798,000 viewers a drop of 29,000. NXT had the post-Baszler-Kai wild women's brawl and an interview segment with Tommaso Ciampa, Keith Lee and Matt Riddle, and did 793,000 viewers, a drop of 26,000. Once again, not a switch.

In quarter six, AEW did 698,000 viewers for the Brandi Rhodes video and Shawn Spears vs. Brandon Cutler, a loss of 99,000 viewers. NXT had Tony Nese vs. Angel Garza, and did 769,000 viewers, a loss of 24,000, so again, not a switch.

In quarter seven, AEW had the Jon Moxley/Kenny Omega video package and beginning of Jericho & Sammy Guevara vs. Omega & Adam Page, which did 739,000 viewers, up 40,000. AEW had Isaiah Scott vs. Dominik Dijakovic which did 784,000 viewers, up 15,000. That's the issue with promotional videos, they are great for building characters and matches, but are not going to do the numbers of in-ring in most cases. This was not a quarter one would have expected AEW to lose. But again here, both groups rose at the same time.

In quarter eight, AEW had the end of Jericho & Guevara vs. Omega & Page match, and the big brawl at the end, which gained 29,000 viewers to 768,000. NXT had Lee & Riddle & Ciampa vs. Styles & Gallows & Anderson, which did 807,000 viewers, gaining 23,000, so again, not a switch.

What was a switch is that once AEW ended, NXT gained 190,000 viewers to 997,000 so the overrun, which had not helped the NXT rating in the past, did here. It's not a major difference, as without the overrun, NXT would have averaged 802,000 viewers

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone is wondering about Full Gear ticket sales

For Full Gear, as of the Wednesday morning before the show, there were about 1,300 tickets unsold which would mean about 7,500 tickets out, with very little movement over the last week. So it should end up close to sold out but maybe not completely sold out. There were 639 tickets on the secondary market with a $40 get in price, which means secondary market sales is above market value but it's not as strong as Survivor Series which has about 1,050 secondary market seats still out but a strong $100 get in price

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I consider myself a lapsed fan, in a sense.

I stopped watching WWE regularly four years ago but kept up with news and checked out the odd match or angle whenever they accidentally did something good then dropped it completely a couple of years ago. Only thing I've searched out since was that awful HIAC match last month.

I subscribed to the network for Takeovers but the realisation that NXT Takeover was as good as it was ever gonna get for my faves killed my desire to watch NXT, that + not wanting to give money to Vince anymore. It's not a true alternative if Vince is getting my money for it.

I eventually discovered NJPW a little over a year ago with one of the Kenny/Okada matches and ended up seeking out more stuff then All In happened and then AEW.

AEW is the only weekly TV show I watch now.

I tired Powerrr but the roster sucks and y'know Cornette. Not for me. I also tried the new season of Beyond Wrestling and while it's a show I enjoy, I find I'm forcing myself to watch it rather than craving it like I do AEW so I'm dropping it at the end of this month. I also just don't need to see GCW guys more than twice per month either.

Weekly AEW, two GCW shows per month + NJPW when they're not doing putting on nothing shows, is enough wrestling for my tastes.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Cross-posting it from the OT

Quarter hour viewership breakdown for NXT vs. AEW. NXT actually was beating them the second half of the night, but AEW opened higher.

Thanks for posting this. I guess we just need a show of Cody, Jericho, Moxley, PAC, and Kenny stuff. Basically, mostly ex WWE guys.

It's at least good to know that they're still STARTING with 950,000+ people, but they're just not keeping them.

A shame about the Dark Order match, as I enjoyed it a fair bit. They're clearly not clicking enough though with that much of a loss in viewers. Same with Shida vs. Shanna last week. Big time 100,000+ people tuning out.

Well, plenty of work to do. Can't believe more people didn't tune out of that shitty NXT women's match.

AEW is still building its base.

You figure with this week, Vince is going to make Raw/SD wrestlers appear on NXT constantly now.

Anyway, AEW needs to keep focusing on AEW and see what's working and what's not. I'm sure Tony is all over this.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
They are.

Dave says that they changed PAC vs. CIMA because the Best Friends do good 18-49 numbers so they wanted Trent in that spot instead

That's very reassuring, actually.

I can't wait for Luchasaurus to come back. You have to figure he's going to be a good 18-49 draw as well. He's got a cool factor about him, and he's a big well-toned dude. Very video gamey and not in a forced and cheesy "hello fellow kids" way.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Well, plenty of work to do. Can't believe more people didn't tune out of that shitty NXT women's match.

To me, that seems like an example that maybe these quarter hour things aren't all that good a gauge of what is quality. I have a hard time making a deal out of week-to-week rating trends, let alone breaking it done by TV show segment.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
They are.

Dave says that they changed PAC vs. CIMA because the Best Friends do good 18-49 numbers so they wanted Trent in that spot instead
That's very good to hear they're being smart and deliberate about this.

I'm sure they're aware stuff like Dark Order and long/slower pace women's matches with no build are bleeding 2nd hour viewers pretty badly. It's gonna be a balance of what's good for ratings vs staying true to their personal vision.

Nightside

Oct 28, 2017
indie style wrestling is lit tho idk how people can not like it.

Last week was arguably the worst show and this one was still up.

I like indie style. But then again I was basically hooked back to wrestling thanks to the X-division. A lot of people I know when they think about wrestling they think about goldberg or Lesnar or undertaker.
Now, I think more variety would benefit AEW. I'm not saying they should start looking for 7 feet tall people, but if the Revival will ever get there they would bring a different style and approach that could only be good for the already good tag division. Or more power houses for example. Or someone with a style more focuses on suplexes and submissions
Stuff like that.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Only dumb wrestling fans would expect a TV show to increase in ratings from its premiere number.

That's so fucking rare websites make news posts about it when a show actually manages to do it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Only dumb wrestling fans would expect a TV show to increase in ratings from its premiere number.

That's so fucking rare websites make news posts about it when a show actually manages to do it.
'But. But they are tanking because they aren't as high as they started!'

Considering TNT paid for the rights to AEW expecting 350k-500k viewers, meaning that is what the network has budgeted for and wants yet all I have read since Tha ratings came out yesterday is doom and gloom.

Getting really frustrating coming into the aew threads to read about the show, only to be greeted by countless posts from people complaining about something being bad when that's not how things work and it's doing better than the network hoped for.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendoomed!
Struggling Nin- AEW is gonna have to go third party!
Super Lucha Brothers on the WWE Network platform!?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017

Considering TNT paid for the rights to AEW expecting 350k-500k viewers, meaning that is what the network has budgeted for and wants yet all I have read since Tha ratings came out yesterday is doom and gloom.

Getting really frustrating coming into the aew threads to read about the show, only to be greeted by countless posts from people complaining about something being bad when that's not how things work and it's doing better than the network hoped for.

Yeah, I'm trying to keep positive and just enjoy the show because it's been great. It's just disappointing that they've dropped by nearly 40% from their first ep.

That said, they're well over TNT's expectations, which is good, and they're apparently doing well in Canada and the UK from the reports that have been made available.

I hope live attendance figures stay up too, though. I never want AEW to turn into a TNA situation.

Deleted member 28474

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Try not to let it bother you, honestly. It is craziness.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
From this week's issue of the Observer:

The other change was originally it was going to be Private Party vs. Jack Evans & Angelico vs. Dark Order for the third spot in the tag team title match on the PPV. But the idea was to treat it like a sport and that Private Party and Dark Order lost in the semifinals, so in a sports tournament, Kazarian & Scorpio won the gold (they wore medals on the show), Pentagon & Fenix got the silver and so the two losers in the semifinals would battle for third, the bronze, and that the PPV match would have all three medalists against each other.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of the people watching the first episode we're never going to stick around because they're people who only watched the first episode purely because it's the first of a new thing.
They had no intention in coming back regardless of quality, especially the WWE stans.

It seems like 800k is the area they're going to hang around and that's fine, big success in TNT's book. Which is what matters most.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I think the premiere can essentially be discounted, as nearly every new show drops after the premiere. So week 2 was 1.018 million (plus some on truTV) - essentially they've lost around 200k since then. I think that's pretty good.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
Try not to let it bother you, honestly. It is craziness.
I appreciate you for being a real one and keeping it cool in all Wrestling discussion I see you wade into.

I don't understand White Claw, but I really want to try it.
It's alcoholic Seltzer water. Basically more carbonated sparkling water that's sweet, fruity tasting and has an alcohol content high enough that it sneaks up on you if you're not watching how much you drink. I had some at a Halloween party recently while taking to other AEW fans I had just met that night. All of us drinking claws and talking about Joey Janela. He'd have been proud.

They had never watched GCW before so I was telling them about the ultraviolence but also how goofy Spring Break shows are.

Last edited:

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I quit wrestling Twitter yesterday, friends. This place is more sane and doesn't negatively impact my mental health.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I quit wrestling Twitter yesterday, friends. This place is more sane and doesn't negatively impact my mental health.
Smart decision. I followed you and saw some of the dust ups you would Wade into a while back. Was like... man, I'd rather deal with Violet and their takes because at least i know there's enough common ground there to make nice once in a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.