• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Excellent recap Max. Super jealous. Glad you didn't get any of the barbed wire bat.

Thanks! It really was an incredible evening. Lol, on the barbed wire bat. I didn't catch that, but I did catch an inadvertent Moxley forearm when i ran into him backstage. Not gonna lie though, kinda wanted to touch the bat to see if it's real wire.

Awesome!

Need audio though.

All of my gifs were made from videos, so I have the audio, just didn't want to weigh the page down too much. I'll at least post the Orange Cassidy "thanks baby" later.

lmao good on you for shitting on Hager so close to his face
Thank you, The Climaxan , for fearlessly dissing Hager.

Haha. Fear definitely wasn't a factor, I was waaaay too intoxicated for that. The way I see it, if he can exercise his 1st Amendment rights, then so can I. The dude didn't even flinch when I said it though, which was disappointing.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
One thing about Dark that is evident is how much the hot crowds elevate AEW's product. The crowds for the Dark matches are typically relatively flat and it makes the matches come across a lot differently. Similar to watching Raw, except that's three hours and the actual main show.

Shida/Swole was solid. I thought Nyla looked good doing the dominant squash thing. She's coming across pretty well as they rebuild her after the loss to Riho. SCU/Cima vs Sabian/Hybrid2 was fun and the only match the crowd really got into. I'm convinced this Sabian trio is going to join up with Scurll to form AEW's Villain Enterprises, by the way.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
One thing about Dark that is evident is how much the hot crowds elevate AEW's product. The crowds for the Dark matches are typically relatively flat and it makes the matches come across a lot differently. Similar to watching Raw, except that's three hours and the actual main show.

Shida/Swole was solid. I thought Nyla looked good doing the dominant squash thing. She's coming across pretty well as they rebuild her after the loss to Riho. SCU/Cima vs Sabian/Hybrid2 was fun and the only match the crowd really got into. I'm convinced this Sabian trio is going to join up with Scurll to form AEW's Villain Enterprises, by the way.
Kip can but like Flip, Hybrid 2 don't belong anywhere near Marty.

The unwashed must not be allowed to touch the golden.

Last edited:

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Kip can but like Flip, Hybrid 2 don't belong anywhere near Marty.

The unwashed must not be allowed to touch the golden.

Not saying I necessarily love it but I think they're setting up for it. I base it on:

-Starting with his Fight for the Fallen preshow promo, Sabian has had an anti-Elite slant for a while now. His promo before the recent Dynamite match established Hybrid2 on the same page with him re: the Elite, and they seem to be an established trio now.

-Marty's most recent VE TV had a cameo with Kip where Marty points out he was wearing "villainous" sunglasses. Kip seemed to be wearing those same glasses on Dark tonight. Marty also seemed to make a point to show himself wearing AEW colored VE merch on his video.

Marty shows up sometime in the next month, seemingly to help the Elite in their continued feud with Inner Circle, but he's pissed at being "left behind" and instead forms his own stable with his buddy Kip, who similarly has a beef with the Elite. My only question is who the fifth guy would be. Brody coming with him? Page jumping ship? Havoc?

Exis

Oct 25, 2017
I sat through Starcast live today, and did not learn much but it was fun,
I did get to experience Orange Cassidy beat boxing, so that was a thing

I am in awe of how much people spend on these things.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shanna
Shazza
Shalandra
Shida
Sakura
Okay the last two are a stretch but I think they need some new nicknames in the women's division

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017

The weak crowd response is always deflating, especially when the great high spots aren't getting the level of reaction they deserve. I felt like the kind of dominance that Nyla showed was really lessened by having a crowd that wasn't totally on board. Also, I think she would have looked stronger by making her opponents actually seem more competitive for a longer time. Maybe have Leva blind tag in, then get wrecked for a while before Nyla gets back in and cleans house.

I really hope you're on to something with Kip and TH2. They seem like some of the strongest performers to be repeatedly eating losses. You can't play a cocky character for too long if all you do is take pins.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
i think the Shida v Swole match was great. Shida in particular you can see the difference between her and most other AEW women wrestlers.

BTW, how do I help Cleveland, OH go from undesirable to undeniable so that AEW will come to town? lol

Last edited:

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying I necessarily love it but I think they're setting up for it. I base it on:

-Starting with his Fight for the Fallen preshow promo, Sabian has had an anti-Elite slant for a while now. His promo before the recent Dynamite match established Hybrid2 on the same page with him re: the Elite, and they seem to be an established trio now.

-Marty's most recent VE TV had a cameo with Kip where Marty points out he was wearing "villainous" sunglasses. Kip seemed to be wearing those same glasses on Dark tonight. Marty also seemed to make a point to show himself wearing AEW colored VE merch on his video.

Marty shows up sometime in the next month, seemingly to help the Elite in their continued feud with Inner Circle, but he's pissed at being "left behind" and instead forms his own stable with his buddy Kip, who similarly has a beef with the Elite. My only question is who the fifth guy would be. Brody coming with him? Page jumping ship? Havoc?

I think you could be on to something. I think they may save Marty as a surprise for the big January 1 show because why not? PCO is also a free agent as of December 1, but I think it less likely he'd join Marty in AEW.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it was mentioned, but Cody brought up earlier that AEW will be adding a mid-card title in the next month or so

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Just finished a 6.5-hour drive, so sorry if it's been posted already, but I listened to part of the Cody call tonight and...

-says another belt will be introduced in the next month or two
-says wrestler rankings will be up before Full Gear

...Oh, and I see another episode of Dark is up. Nice. Will give it a whirl now.

What else have I missed?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished a 6.5-hour drive, so sorry if it's been posted already, but I listened to part of the Cody call tonight and...

-says another belt will be introduced in the next month or two
-says wrestler rankings will be up before Full Gear

...Oh, and I see another episode of Dark is up. Nice. Will give it a whirl now.

What else have I missed?

All the rankings are out

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit Climax, epic impressions!

Can anyone who has watched Dark tell me how my Aussie compatriot Shazza did?

And if Friday night Dark is the new normal?

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Holy shit Climax, epic impressions!

Can anyone who has watched Dark tell me how my Aussie compatriot Shazza did?

And if Friday night Dark is the new normal?

Tony called it "a special edition" of Dark, so maybe they'll only do it Fridays before PPVs. Or...hmm, "special edition" could also just mean that it's BECAUSE it's right before a PPV and they'll keep future "regular" non-PPV Darks on Friday as well. We'll see.

Shazza was okay. The match was more about Nyla.

Also, that Cody/Jericho package at around the 30-minute mark of Dark tonight was epic.

Last edited:

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
Don't know if it was mentioned, but Cody brought up earlier that AEW will be adding a mid-card title in the next month or so
This is so sorely needed. I feel this will give the show a totally new dimension. There will be a lot of wrestler and character development with this and the new rankings as they will now be clear paths for what we will see next on possible rivalries and championship matches. I can't wait to see stats incorporated (I'm a stat geek) as I feel that some wrestlers will use that on their promos and as part of their wrestling psychology e.g. "I'm a submission machine, and I have the damn stats to prove it!"

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
POST 1 of 2

Alright AEW Era, I finally got my live impressions from Wednesday put together. I would have done it sooner but was way too drunk after the show and have been slammed at work until just now. Also, I wanted to share some GIFs!

From the moment I walked out onto the floor until the moment I hopped in my Lyft, me and my friend that came with me were absolutely blown away. Everything felt polished and big time. From the stage to the lighting to security to the way talent interacted with fans. Our seats were incredible. 4th row from the ring in the corner camera side. I was on the end of the row so I was able to run up to ringside fairly often, and we were even able to grab two abandoned ringside seats for the last Dark match! I'm the dude wearing a hoodie jean jacket if you've got eagle eyes. There was indeed a large section of seats tarped off behind the hard camera, but everything else filled up. I'd say the arena was about 70-75% full. That being said, the crowd was MOLTEN HOT, friendly and a lot of fun. Especially the people around me. We were having a blast.

Now for the show itself (as seen from my seats)

wGQEpRc.gif

Like I said, the crowd was hot from the jump. Trent and Pac started things off strong with everyone marking out hard for Orange Cassidy (super nice guy by the way). In the pic below I complimented his jean jacket, to which he responded "thanks baby".

xIaW8T7.gif

Lots of great FRESHLY SQUEEZED chants throughout, and the crowd went nuts when he hit the ring.

RYg3Hrf.gif

Next up was Cody, who brought the fucking house down. Stupid dick and Un-goddamn-deniable were hits, with stupid dick making it's present felt throughout the night.

myrYt0a.gif

Next up was Private Party vs. Dark Order. Both teams were awesome. Dark Order's entrance is actually great live. Private Party are sooooo smooth though. I was front and center for some dope moments.

mDRvJ2q.gif

The women's tag match was equally dope. Riho is even more impressive in person than on television. Her speed and crispness in the ring is just wild to watch. Jamie Hayter opened a lot of eyes in the crowd too. She's great at talking shit to the fans. Shana and Emi Sakura were also fantastic.

msBWqIB.gif

I'll finish the rest in another post. Don't want to take over the page.

LOVE this, gosh they need to come out West ASAP

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I'm pretty sure it will be a TV title. I think it's a good idea and very practical as they have a big chunk of a roster who isn't ready to be world champion but could be elevated by a title- eg Guevara, Sabian, Spears, Allin, Havoc, Jungle Boy, etc. It would be refreshing to see a mid card belt actually used as a stepping stone rather than a prop for when they don't know what to do with a guy who's already established as world champion tier.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Guys I'm at a dentists' office due to a cavity!

She's a real dentist, did you know?

Edit: 5 cavities... TOPE SUICIDA on my finances

I legit laughed at the last line. LOL Gonna copy/paste this to Twitter.

Giving it another go and am not gonna follow anyone that hits my rage buttons. So...mostly official performer accounts and not fan accounts. And am staying away from reading comments.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017

You need to watch this. I think that Justin just might be a great AEW heel manager. Hilarious stuff and some interesting insight into some AEW info.

Mingoguaya

Oct 30, 2017
I'm pretty sure it will be a TV title. I think it's a good idea and very practical as they have a big chunk of a roster who isn't ready to be world champion but could be elevated by a title- eg Guevara, Sabian, Spears, Allin, Havoc, Jungle Boy, etc. It would be refreshing to see a mid card belt actually used as a stepping stone rather than a prop for when they don't know what to do with a guy who's already established as world champion tier.
Allin should definitely be that first title holder. He is over and would have meaningful feuds with Joey, Spears and the like.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be okay if Allin didn't get the new title first. He can help put over another midcard guy. But I won't say no to him having a belt.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The Climaxan the coolest thing is I saw you yell at Hager in PIP and couldn't tell what you were shouting and really wanted to know. Now I know! That's awesome. Looks like you had almost the same seats I had in Boston, and an even better time which is saying a lot because my wife and I had an absolute blast.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I know the popular prediction right now is for MJF to betray Cody, but I think it'd be really awesome if MJF actually tries to help Cody, but ends up accidentally costing him the match. Then Cody assumes it is bullshit and MJF did it on purpose and you get a more genuine conflict between them.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I know the popular prediction right now is for MJF to betray Cody, but I think it'd be really awesome if MJF actually tries to help Cody, but ends up accidentally costing him the match. Then Cody assumes it is bullshit and MJF did it on purpose and you get a more genuine conflict between them.

I could see this being the path. They clearly want us to think that MJF is going to turn on Cody as they've played with that expectation a couple times now. I think we'll get a better indication of how soon they want to go down the Cody vs MJF path tonight. If they don't further that angle at all with tonight's match, I think that's probably an indication it's going to continue to be a slow tease. I think I'd prefer that. There's still more story to tell with Elite vs Inner Circle, plus if Scurll is coming soon that also adds another layer to it all with Cody.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
I could see this being the path. They clearly want us to think that MJF is going to turn on Cody as they've played with that expectation a couple times now. I think we'll get a better indication of how soon they want to go down the Cody vs MJF path tonight. If they don't further that angle at all with tonight's match, I think that's probably an indication it's going to continue to be a slow tease. I think I'd prefer that. There's still more story to tell with Elite vs Inner Circle, plus if Scurll is coming soon that also adds another layer to it all with Cody.

Yeah, if they are about to bring in yet another opposing force to the Elite, it'd be kinda off balance for them to be made even weaker by a defection. Also, every prediction about the MJF/Cody thing has been wrong so far, and since they are obviously enjoying subverting people's expectations, I could totally see them letting keeping the slow burn going for like, the rest of next year even.

also, oops. I shoulda probably been posting this in the Full Gear thread instead.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Good Bea Priestley promo video responding to Britt Baker. Makes fun of her being a dentist and basically says Britt isn't committed enough because wrestling is just something she does in her free time. And that she would have been perfect for pro wrestling five years ago, but can't hang now.

Really looking forward to this match.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Good Bea Priestley promo video responding to Britt Baker. Makes fun of her being a dentist and basically says Britt isn't committed enough because wrestling is just something she does in her free time. And that she would have been perfect for pro wrestling five years ago, but can't hang now.

What is this, a PPV where they take some time to actually build most of the feuds and give compelling reasons for both sides?

Infernostew

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Really good response video. AEW is killing it with their promos. Wish they had a bit more time to build Riho and Emi Sakura's match but it is what it is. Really wish I could watch this live tonight...

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Another part of the conference call referenced the women and said that they've taken a long time getting work permits/Visas cleared and that because their division is so international, it's more difficult but now they've got a solid core that can legally work, and they will put more of a focus on the division "right after Full Gear." Cody made it sound like there would be more than one segment per episode and like we basically ain't seen nothing yet.

I'm pumped.

I think if he's gonna betray him at any point, it's probably going to be at whatever WarGames style match they have between the Inner Circle and The Elite to blow their feud off. Cody definitely seemed to be teasing the match in his speech, and considering how rooted he is in his Dad's legacy and in NWA/WCW, it seems likely. And we'll probably get the betrayal in nWo vs Horsemen style.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think if he's gonna betray him at any point, it's probably going to be at whatever WarGames style match they have between the Inner Circle and The Elite to blow their feud off. Cody definitely seemed to be teasing the match in his speech, and considering how rooted he is in his Dad's legacy and in NWA/WCW, it seems likely. And we'll probably get the betrayal in nWo vs Horsemen style.

Yeah, he specifically used the phrase "a match beyond."

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I like AEW building a storyline that naturally leads up to a War Game style match, rather than having the story dictated by a yearly event called War Games. That's how you need to use these gimmick matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.