• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So I thought Brodie's sister abigail into the discus clothesline was a debut thing. Then he did it in a match and it doesn't look right. Unless he can make it look a little smoother, it's just going to look wonky and too complicated for what amounts to a clothesline finisher.
he's definitely just teasing using the move, then just using the discus clothesline instead like "this person isn't worth it." will be exciting to see it when he finally unleashes it. might save it for when he's back in his hometown for the live show, even!

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
The Brodie Lee steak dinner video

As noted, last night's AEW Dynamite episode featured a pre-taped segment with Brodie Lee, Alex Reynolds and John Silver of The Dark Order, where it was speculated that Lee's character was booked to take shots at WWE Chairman Vince McMahon.

This segment actually was done to make fun of Vince, according to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio.

Meltzer noted that this segment included references to Vince eating at Morton's Steakhouse and getting mad because he had to be the first one to eat. The sneeze was also a shot at Vince getting mad. There's been a long-running rumor that Vince hates it when people sneeze around him, something that has been mentioned by numerous wrestlers over the years.

It was noted on Wrestling Observer Radio that some people are "very upset" about the shots at Vince, presumably people within WWE.

Scott Dawson contract status

There has been some speculation on Dawson being free to go now, or on April 1, but it was noted by Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio that Dawson still has a few weeks left on his deal.

Wilder's contract expires in mid-June, and it's been expected for more than a year now that The Revival will sign with AEW once they're free agents from WWE. It was noted that Dawson can't sign with AEW until Wilder is free, which means Dawson has to wait until June until he starts making money elsewhere, according to Meltzer.

Jake Roberts on who brought him into AEW

My name kept getting brought up by people, but it was actually [Tony] Khan that said "I want him in here." That's quite a compliment there. That's not the way I expected to be brought in, I expected it to be through Dallas or through Dustin [Rhodes], but it wasn't, it was Khan who wanted me in there. He's the one that initiated the "let's get him." I did the little card-dealing gimmick I did for them [at Double Or Nothing], that was just a nice thing to do, where I dealt the cards out for that thing they were doing. But then to get invited to do this angle [with Lance Archer and Cody Rhodes) was much bigger. It's going to be huge. We haven't really started it yet. It's yet to blossom into what it's going to be. We're going to do some more stuff this week.

They've gone back to the old-school way of doing things, which I love. That's building something instead of doing it the WWE way where they build it the first part of the show and then end it by the end of the show. (laughs) This, people will remember, because they're taking the time to build it properly.

Brodie Lee will be on tomorrow's Talk Is Jericho.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Jake talking about building something properly just makes me smile, as does how over Jericho can put something like arguing with a drone and appliances.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Yeah. The Brodie promo may have been a bit much but I found it awesome. Was a nice slow burn of having that dawning realization "This isn't just a cult.. this is Vince" right around the sneeze.

I view it sort of like the sledge hammer bit. It is definitely a bit much, but it is fun in moderation.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Jericho cutting the promo then trying to recruit the drone maybe the funniest thing I've seen on AEW

Next to whatever the Spanish god Sammy does.

Hybrid Hunter

May 9, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I hope Brodie Lee isn't just a Vince clone, but gets to grow into something more substantial.
The positive is that they have time to play around before it gets infront of a live audience again, and we see the full impact of Brodie, Evil Uno and Stu.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
From the Observer newsletter:

AEW has given up the idea of running shows before fans through until 5/20 at the earliest. The company will continue to tape matches every Wednesday provided that it is possible to do so. It is on a week-by-week basis, as is the location. There is another location they could move to and everything is up in the air but everything went fine in Jacksonville this week and they taped a ton of stuff. They are planning at press time to do more taping next week but nothing is for sure.

For a number of reasons, the show advertised on 3/18 for 3/25 couldn't happen. The idea of restrictions on having more than ten people together in one area eliminated both the Blood & Guts match, which would need ten people plus a referee as well as people filming (Matt Hardy & Matt Jackson & Kenny Omega & Cody & Adam Page vs. Chris Jericho & Sammy Guevara & Santana & Ortiz & Jake Hager). For the same reason, the lumberjack match with Luchasaurus vs. Wardlow couldn't take place because of the restrictions.

Due to travel restrictions, Pac and Pentagon Jr., who live in the U.K. and Mexico, were unable to come in so the Death Triangle group has been put on hold. The California crew like The Young Bucks, SCU, Rey Fenix, Excalibur, ref Rick Knox and others were unable to come. Jim Ross and Taz weren't there either whether it be for reasons of caution or an inability to travel. Tony Schiavone did the announcing on his own, with Cody and Kenny Omega helping out at different times. Bea Priestley, who lives in Japan although right now is in the U.K., and was being groomed for a women's title program with Nyla Rose, is also out for now, as would be Yuka Sakazaki. If they even do something with Rose short-term, it looks like it would be with Hikaru Shida, who has moved to the U.S.

The Blood & Guts match, even without the restrictions to ten people, was likely to have been moved even without the ten person restrictions with the idea it's not worth wasting that match with no crowd and no guarantee on follow-up storylines.

Regarding the ability to tape weekly, it's noted that Jacksonville's largest coronavirus testing center will be in the parking lot of HIAA Field, about 100 yards from where they are taping at Daily's Place. Jacksonville Mayor Lenny Curry also talked about cracking down on businesses and employees taking unnecessary risks. AEW has been working with the city regarding the ability to continue to use Daily's Place for taping each week. As the show was being taped, the only people around were the wrestlers in the one room for the skits, those in the open-aired building, a few production people outside the building in the truck, and Tony Khan as the only person backstage handling Gorilla and timing the show.

They did a lot of other taping on both 3/24 and 3/25 as well.

Khan also noted that last week was by far the toughest week in the history of the company as far as being able to rewrite, gather talent and put together a show, because some talent couldn't come in, some talent opted not to come in and there were so many restrictions put on how many people could be there. Most likely with more restrictions on travel and pressure regarding social gatherings coming from the outside, that this week would have ended up even tougher.

Last week they brought in a number of independent wrestlers for a combination of what you'd call tryout matches, that were taped for Dark and they did as much as taping as they could. While they don't have the library that WWE has, where WWE can go forever and put great matches from the past on television and never run out, they would have enough product to fill television easily for three months while doing wrap-arounds from their studio.

The company announced that its 4/22 date in Philadelphia at the Liacouras Center is rescheduled for 7/29. Its 4/22 date in Houston at the Fertitta Center is rescheduled for 11/4. Its 5/6 date in New Orleans at the UNO Lakefront Arena is moved to 12/2. And its 5/13 date in Rio Rancho, NM, has been moved to 12/30.

They are delaying an announcement for Double or Nothing II on 5/23 in Las Vegas. Obviously the choices are having the show with fans, having the show there without fans, having the show somewhere else without fans, or just postponing the show to a later date, and right now all of those calls are wait and see and likely in the end, out of their hands.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone who hasn't watched the two Benoit Dark Side episodes, watching that has given me a renewed level of appreciation and respect for Chris Jericho. David Benoit stated that the only wrestling people who stayed in contact with him after the murders (including WWE) were Jericho and Chavo Guerrero.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who hasn't watched the two Benoit Dark Side episodes, watching that has given me a renewed level of appreciation and respect for Chris Jericho. David Benoit stated that the only wrestling people who stayed in contact with him after the murders (including WWE) were Jericho and Chavo Guerrero.
what Jericho did for David and Sandra was incredible.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
also,
what Jericho did for David and Sandra was incredible.
This.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Stupid question but... handling Gorilla?
The ghost of Gorilla Monsoon tends to bedevil those backstage, always trying to get out and on commentary. Someone is usually stationed right by the curtain to the stage to distract and prevent him from getting out. This was especially hard for Tony, as AEW has two entrances, so double the chances for Gorilla's ghost to escape and expose the spirit business.

It's the name given to a physical location where person(s) are monitoring and timing the action, usually near the entrance to the ramp.

milamber182

Dec 15, 2017
Australia
Didnt they have a character in NXT that dresses and talks just like Tony Khan?

Robert Stone?

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017

That is amazing.

Stupid question but... handling Gorilla?

Named after Gorilla Monsoon, it's basically the area just behind the entrance where the top people sit and produce the show (everything is timed correctly for tv, they are in contact with commentary, referees, etc.)

Here's a photograph of Vince McMahon gorilla-ing:

ufjejm3rahryyjjl0.jpg

Sometimes shooters will SHOOT on the head booker by heading to gorilla during the show, and commence shooting:

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Reminder that Vince was anything but gracious when he bought WCW, and he's the one (along with Triple H) who picked the fight with AEW and it backfired. So I'm not sure how much we're really supposed to care that someone in WWE got their feelings hurt over the softest jab ever.

A real Vince McMahon shot would've been if Evil Uno had beaten Stu Grayson to death and then Brodie Lee showed up to a meeting with the cops with a briefcase and suddenly the whole case got dropped.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
there's finally a refund button under my tickets, yet when i click refund it does nothing. i have a feeling i am out 280$. newark show.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Aye man we got insanely hype wrestling crowds

But yeah, definitely pouring one out for you. Blood & Guts would have been amazing live.
i'm just playin. or shall i say i was doin a work. this is a shoot though. hope you and your family are ok during this shitty time. stay safe neighbor.

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
This Brodie Lee interview on Talk Is Jericho is pretty enjoyable so far

Well worth a listen

RBH

Nov 2, 2017
Brodie Lee said that his AEW contract allows him to work indies as well as New Japan (if New Japan ends up being interested in him)