• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Listening to the podcast Jericho did with Russo over Xmas.

Holy Shit!

Vince never wanted to let Austin talk and tried to kill 3:16.

I never knew this and thought he'd just gone mental like in the last 10 years or so, now I'm finding out that the character that got me into wrestling almost never happened.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Listening to the podcast Jericho did with Russo over Xmas.

Holy Shit!

Vince never wanted to let Austin talk and tried to kill 3:16.

I never knew this and thought he'd just gone mental like in the last 10 years or so, now I'm finding out that the character that got me into wrestling almost never happened.

Russo also says he came up with the Montreal Screwjob finish...

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
I'm not convinced that Russo tells the 100% truth all the time lol.

It seems like he takes credit for random, super over things because he knows no one is going to refute. Like, Vince doesn't have time to care that Russo is doing a random podcast with Jericho where he says Austin 3:16 was almost killed by Vince.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I was at the gym for a late night work out, and as I was leaving the locker room to head home I realized Judas was playing over the gym speakers. The overnight guy who works there is ALL ELITE

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
I would pop for solid blue bars. Even if there is no escape rule this time, make that thing easy to climb. The roster will appreciate it.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So does Cody have to win the match with Wardlow to have his match with MJF at Revolution or does the cage match just need to happen? Because if Cody doesn't need to win then that really opens the possibility space for this match and what they could do with it. I think it could also mean that there's an outside chance Wardlow could win.

Also, I promised an image of my friend with baby Wardlow awhile back but I had to figure out a way to blur my friend's face and I was having issues with posting the image but I think I have that all ironed out:

n4sLjjr.jpg

My friend is excited for tonight and so am I!

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
So does Cody have to win the match with Wardlow to have his match with MJF at Revolution or does the cage match just need to happen? Because if Cody doesn't need to win then that really opens the possibility space for this match and what they could do with it. I think it could also mean that there's an outside chance Wardlow could win.

Also, I promised an image of my friend with baby Wardlow awhile back but I had to figure out a way to blur my friend's face and I was having issues with posting the image but I think I have that all ironed out:

n4sLjjr.jpg

My friend is excited for tonight and so am I!

AFAIK Cody doesn't have to beat Wardlow to get the match with MJF, he just has to survive a cage match with Wardlow, like he had to survive the lashes.

That is how it has been presented anyway.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I was at the gym for a late night work out, and as I was leaving the locker room to head home I realized Judas was playing over the gym speakers. The overnight guy who works there is ALL ELITE

He just wants you to build yourself into Le Champion and be THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST you can be.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
AFAIK Cody doesn't have to beat Wardlow to get the match with MJF, he just has to survive a cage match with Wardlow, like he had to survive the lashes.

That is how it has been presented anyway.

I think when MJF first cut the promo, he implied that Cody would have to beat Wardlow, but they've moved away from any language suggesting that since then. He just has to have the match.

I suspect Cody still wins but they make Wardlow look strong in defeat. Mainly, it's helpful not to make a win necessary to have the match at Revolution because then the outcome of this cage match is obvious. Now there's at least some consideration that Wardlow could win.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I think one thing that is not being taken into account with Wardlow is his lack of experience.

Wardlow's presentation in AEW so far, for all intents and purposes, is just some big guy MJF found on the street and put a suit on him.

While it hasn't been explicitly stated, Wardlow is basically a rookie.

Virtually everyone that debuts on AEW, Dark Order, B&B, Jeff Cobb, AEW either went out and got footage of from other promotions or they just have Excalibur say that they've wrestled in Japan, all over the world or even name the promotions.

Wardlow got none of this, so I can imagine the lack of experience being the way Cody beats him on Wednesday.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
I think one thing that is not being taken into account with Wardlow is his lack of experience.

Wardlow's presentation in AEW so far, for all intents and purposes, is just some big guy MJF found on the street and put a suit on him.

While it hasn't been explicitly stated, Wardlow is basically a rookie.

Virtually everyone that debuts on AEW, Dark Order, B&B, Jeff Cobb, AEW either went out and got footage of from other promotions or they just have Excalibur say that they've wrestled in Japan, all over the world or even name the promotions.

Wardlow got none of this, so I can imagine the lack of experience being the way Cody beats him on Wednesday.

I think the priority has probably shifted a bit with Wardlow, too. Over the summer when he was signed, they were open about wanting to add some hosses to diversify their roster. He was one of it not the earliest guy they signed that fit that bill. Since then, they've also added Hager, seem likely to be adding Brodie Lee, and are also rumored to be in on Cage and Archer. Not to mention they're bringing Cobb in too. They can afford to bide their time with Wardlow before giving him a big push.

IMO, the highest priority of this angle is MJF and as I've said before, I think he needs the win at Revolution. I think Cody beating Wardlow makes sense to keep him strong going into the PPV, and that will make MJF beating him even more meaningful because nobody has beaten Cody legitimately in a singles match yet.

TrafficCoen

The Fallen
Feb 22, 2019
Cody pre AEW was still pretty good at getting over. Stardust and dashing/undashing Cody Rhodes were well regarded, even if Cody hated Stardust

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
I think the priority has probably shifted a bit with Wardlow, too. Over the summer when he was signed, they were open about wanting to add some hosses to diversify their roster. He was one of it not the earliest guy they signed that fit that bill. Since then, they've also added Hager, seem likely to be adding Brodie Lee, and are also rumored to be in on Cage and Archer. Not to mention they're bringing Cobb in too. They can afford to bide their time with Wardlow before giving him a big push.

IMO, the highest priority of this angle is MJF and as I've said before, I think he needs the win at Revolution. I think Cody beating Wardlow makes sense to keep him strong going into the PPV, and that will make MJF beating him even more meaningful because nobody has beaten Cody legitimately in a singles match yet.

Im not really sold on the idea of MJF winning. But i need to see the outcome of the cage match to be sure.

Just now with all the facts:

- MJF costs cody to never challenge the main title again
- MJF has insulted and/or attacked members of the nightmare family (his coach DDP and his wife)
- MJF humilliated Cody with the 10 lashes
- MJF made Cody beg for the match (the promo where he offers money, the keys of his car, his rolex, etc)

I really think if MJF wins, Cody's image of the top babyface of the company will be damaged.

Also, this is a feud that needs to continue at least until Double or Nothing, if MJF wins, what motivation will he have to give Cody another match? 20 lashes? a Punjabi Prison match with Wardlow and Butcher/Blade?

But, like i said, we need to know what will happen in the Cage match. I think we all agree that the most possible outcome is Cody winning but Wardlow will attack cody so hard, during and after the match to "soften" him, or maybe hurting him.

Knowing cody is a big fan of old school angles, dont be surprised if Wardlow kayfabe hurts one of Cody's Arms and he wont be 100% ready for revolution and he will still fight MJF at revolution with one of his arms damaged.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I assume all Cody has to do is escape the cage to win. Maybe we get a run-in by someone new who will be in Cody's corner, beats up MJF, which distracts Wardlow enough for Cody to get out. But I'm guessing it'll be Arn Anderson instead.