• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
2/3 components of SCU are pretty old, and even Sky isn't young either, so from that perspective it makes sense to give them their run now while they're all still going.

They're clearly high on Scorpio Sky and part of their being tag champs seems to have been designed on elevating him for a future singles run.

Young Bucks likely didn't want to be first tag champs. I suspect they aren't going to push the Lucha Bros to the top unless they're fully exclusive to them. Aside from maybe PnP, SCU were the most prominent and credible tag team otherwise.

I think SCU made fine first champions, and again it has elevated Sky. I think we all expect Omega/Page to be transitional champs, whether that's to the Bucks, or PnP, or Dark Order, or somebody else.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You have to remember, none of the first champions had feuds going into their win and now the only one that really does is the main championship. Better to have a solid team as first champions and build off of that.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting that listing to POST-Rewind they actually seemed to like Baker's promo? Legit shocked me with some of the things they get down on.

Also pointed out that after the tag match, they cut to a shot of Sky looking at Kaz in the ring from the ramp and just walking off. Given Jericho called out Sky in one of the first episodes ever, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a deliberate shot.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely interested in seeing where the Tag Champs go. It's very obviously heading towards Bucks vs Hangman/Omega, presumably at Revolution. But maybe that feud pays off beforehand and it transitions to Dark Order feud at Revolution?

World title is obviously Mox vs Jericho. Presumably Mox gets the title at Revolution.

Not sure what feud/storyline the women's title will have going into Revolution. Right now the only real storyline is NC, and I'm not 100% sure how that would go into the title, since it seems to mainly be focused on Statlander and others (namely not Riho). So does Statlander deal with NC before Revolution and then gets another title shot at the PPV against Riho? This time without any interference? You would then hopefully have Stat take the title, after going through NC hardships all the way up to the PPV. Alternatively they build newly minted HEEL Baker to take on Riho, while having the Statlander/NC blow off at Revolution as well.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Listening to Rewind a Dynamite. John and Wai both liked the Britt promo. John said he was happy to be off Twitter during it.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017

Now let's see what they tweeted *before* the show aired (it airs on Thursdays at midday here, so 16hrs before broadcast):
UEdffbPl.jpg

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You either need to work with her on that or find other promo outlets that suit her better than a live interview.
What annoys me is that a lot of people criticize the content of her promo itself. All of a sudden people expect Shakespeare when what she said was a perfectly fine heel turn promo that fits her circumstances.
I thought her confrontation with Riho a couple weeks ago was fine, but last night she came across disengaged similar to how she was when she did guest commentary. And her delivery affected main idea of her promo, because it sounded like the 'shitty barista' line was something she struggled to come up with on the spot to put down Tony after she put herself over as 'smart, educated and successful,' rather than a solid dig that was probably too insider basebally for the audience (myself included).

I mean it's not the end of the world, the world of wrestling is built on the foundation of bad wrestling and bad segments, this is another brick I won't notice in a week's time. Just a weird promo.

I do agree with your broader point that Baker gets more criticism than is warranted, even if I'm not particularly a fan of her's.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Is Tony Khan on the cruise?

I feel like it's one thing greenlighting a match that won't be televised, another thing for him to see the match himself and hopefully come out a believer and want to sell the networks on it.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I almost feel like Kenny will be the one to turn on Page at this point. Given the ambivalent reception there seemed to be towards him being in the first ever world title match, they've done a good job of building his popularity with this partying with the crowd thing, I think it might be a mistake to throw it all away by going full blown heel. He also has that relatibility factor of failing at his big opportunity and being the overlooked member of his group, the rest of which are executives while he was left out. Perhaps Kenny is popular enough that it could totally backfire and crowds still wouldn't root against him though, I don't know. You could tie Omega's turn back in with the hardcore match against Moxley flipping something in his mind, then you could use that to build up to him taking the title from Mox later on.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
They could always have Kenny and Page feud without either outright turning heel. I think it's possible it does lead to a full turn by either of them (still think more likely Page), but I think another potential end to this arc is that everyone in the Elite becomes tight again and then they join together against whatever big faction is against them whether it's Inner Circle or Dark Order or whatever.

Duncan

Oct 25, 2017
How that title match was booked last night, I don't know how you can't side with Page. He did everything to win that one. At least for this week, he's right to be frustrated.

I like all of what they're doing right now.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
^ Has to make you feel like god

From my point of view the Young bucks are the heels, comin' in trying to steal Hangman's shine when they could of easily waited until they were in the back to celebrate. This is heading for Hangman/Omega vs. Bucks at Revolution and when the Bucks win Hangman is going to explode. The Mega Powers Elite Explode!

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
How that title match was booked last night, I don't know how you can't side with Page. He did everything to win that one. At least for this week, he's right to be frustrated.

I like all of what they're doing right now.

I think what makes it compelling is it's
not the typical black/white thing. You can see both sides and you can see this angle going in a lot of different directions. It's really good shit, and this is at best the #3 angle in the company right now!

From my point of view the Young bucks are the heels, comin' in trying to steal Hangman's shine when they could of easily waited until they were in the back to celebrate. This is heading for Hangman/Omega vs. Bucks at Revolution and when the Bucks win Hangman is going to explode. The Mega Powers Elite Explode!
They have been seeding thisalso it seems the bucks want the spotlight.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

"Take that, Suzuki! Suck-zuki! I HAVE PEOPLE SINGING THE ENTIRE SONG, NOT JUST THREE WORDS! See the power of Le Champion!"

Jericho gets immediately thrown off the boat by Minoru Suzuki, who appears out of nowhere.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I think the Britt promo rubbed me more the wrong way, because I thought the pre-produced stuff with her was pretty great. Otherwise the show was pretty great.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
AEW gave an inexperienced wrestler a live mic for the first time and she didn't knock it out the park (for everyone).

Just another learning experience. No need to make anything more out of it.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
AEW gave an inexperienced wrestler a live mic for the first time and she didn't knock it out the park (for everyone).

Just another learning experience. No need to make anything more out of it.
I'm afraid your wrong, the only course of action is to go on and on about how bad that segment was and act like one bad thing completely ruins the show for yourself.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Giving Britt a manager could be a good idea- Tully? Brandi could have worked if they didn't do the NC thing.

I think the heel turn has potential because people want to hate her, and there's plenty they can lean into, especially the dentist thing. I think being a heel can better suit her wrestling ability because she's not a good enough worker to get people behind her with her wrestling alone.

The thing is she only began training for wrestling a few years ago, and there's no way she could dedicate the time into it during medical training that she needed to become good. Trying to push her as a face of a developing women's division was always misguided. She's salvageable but she needs a lot more experience and she needs to have her flaws protected right now.

Last edited:

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
Meltzer and Alvarez were heavily praising the Omega/Riho vs. Sabian/Penelope match and said that the crowd loved it

Wonder if this will cause Tony Khan to maybe re-think his stance on intergender wrestling at least a little bit

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Meltzer and Alvarez were heavily praising the Omega/Riho vs. Sabian/Penelope match and said that the crowd loved it

Wonder if this will cause Tony Khan to maybe re-think his stance on intergender wrestling at least a little bit

So it WAS intergender and not just a mixed tag with man vs. man and woman vs. woman? Curious to see it.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019

I'm willing to bet that's not the last of intergender that we see under AEW, but unless something changes with advertising perspective, it's never going to be a prominent thing or anything that is shown on TV. I don't think it's completely a Tony Kahn thing as much as it is a reality of them being a mainstream promotion.

But, there are ways around it. The Omega/Moxley match would have never flown on TV either. PPV or web-based content is always an outlet for something like this.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina

I think the issue is not so much with Tony not wanting it personally, but the fact that advertisers don't want to see a man delivering a vicious suplex to a woman. It's a bad look.

I personally don't mind intergender wrestling. Some of the best women wrestlers in the world have wrestled in great intergender matches, and a major promotion (IMPACT) even has a female world champion right now. But there's something to be said about it still turning off the casual viewer, or the people who buy up ad time.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The issues people have with inter gender wrestling are so stupid.

Dont get me wrong you can have a terrible angle that is booked badly, but the fact some people have an issue where 2 athletic actors are booked to fake fight a competitive wrestling match is ridiculous.

Its almost like bigotry thinking its progressiveness "You cant have a woman fighting a man, that's sexism and promotes violence against women" which is them saying that a woman cant beat a guy in a fake fight, let alone a real one.

colorblindmode

Chicken Chaser
Nov 26, 2019
South Carolina
The issues people have with inter gender wrestling are so stupid.

Dont get me wrong you can have a terrible angle that is booked badly, but the fact some people have an issue where 2 athletic actors are booked to fake fight a competitive wrestling match is ridiculous.

Its almost like bigotry thinking its progressiveness "You cant have a woman fighting a man, that's sexism and promotes violence against women" which is them saying that a woman cant beat a guy in a fake fight, let alone a real one.

I think most wrestling fans who appreciate wrestling for what it is (not the rednecks who rage at everything) love intergender wrestling and appreciate it. It's just not something that advertisers are ever going to get behind. Imagine Cracker Barrel doing their Cracker Barrel Clash and Darby jumps off of something and breaks the Cracker Barrel barrel on Riho's head or something. It would be a bad look for the company PR wise.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think most wrestling fans who appreciate wrestling for what it is (not the rednecks who rage at everything) love intergender wrestling and appreciate it. It's just not something that advertisers are ever going to get behind. Imagine Cracker Barrel doing their Cracker Barrel Clash and Darby jumps off of something and breaks the Cracker Barrel barrel on Riho's head or something. It would be a bad look for the company PR wise.
I mean in essence I do get it but at the same time it's also ridiculous.

It completely removes the scripted, athletic nature of wrestling but because companies are so risk averse they will avoid even the slightest hint of danger.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the Paige/Omega Tag Team Champions phase will be short lived and the loss will result in the team splitting up.

As if tensions weren't ridiculously high already.

Now to go into full theory mode: Adam Paige will go heel and join the Inner Circle.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
It completely removes the scripted, athletic nature of wrestling but because companies are so risk averse they will avoid even the slightest hint of danger.

I think it depends on the company. For Impact, they're in a position where they can get away with it. They're a relatively nothing company where pushing intergender wrestling makes them stand out. They're on a channel that nobody watches, and that their parent company owns anyway. There's not really any downside for them. Same with various indy promotions, whose revenues come from live attendance and web streams.

If WWE really wanted to do this, they maybe have the power and standing to put their necks out.

AEW is really in the worst position to push something like this. They're a new company trying to get their footing. If they went to TNT and said "we really want to push intergender wrestling" they probably get told that they have no future there if that's what they want to push. Maybe with their new deal and if they continue to do well, they may have the clout to try to push it, but from a business perspective, I can see why Tony Kahn isn't for it.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Just because it isn't televised, doesn't mean TNT will be ok with it either.

At the end of the day, TNT is associated with the AEW brand, not just AEW Dynamite, that's a way they may look at it. Letting a couple of guys go a bit further with weapons on PPV isn't the same thing as TNT being thought of as "being ok with man on woman violence".

(Scripted or not, it's 2020 FFS etc etc etc)

I'm not arguing that they're right to think like they think, I'm just saying "just dump it on the YouTube show" may not be a viable solution here.

The match quality is irrelevant and yes it's 2020, a lot of AEW fans are more hardcore fans and have probably gone to indie shows where intergender wrestling is a thing and those fans are ok with it. It's not those fans that are the stumbling block and hell TNT probably would be ok with it if it helps the show, it's the potential blowback from media and sponsors that is what they most likely fear.

AEW could do 99 intergender matches and everything could go swimmingly then whoops a woman catches a back elbow the wrong way and the shitstorm commences.

It should mean absolutely fucking nothing but thats not the world we live in.

Henry Hank

Jul 25, 2019
Just because it isn't televised, doesn't mean TNT will be ok with it either.

At the end of the day, TNT is associated with the AEW brand, not just AEW Dynamite, that's a way they may look at it. Letting a couple of guys go a bit further with weapons on PPV isn't the same thing as TNT being thought of as "being ok with man on woman violence".

That's a good point. It'll be telling if they are able to release the match on YouTube. They did promote a video setting up the match on their Twitter, so it doesn't seem out of the question.

While Tony does have a lot of say in this, obviously, I think it's something where if the fans are clamoring for it, and the network/advertisers are OK with it, I can see them introducing this as part of their product. But it's probably not realistic to expect that TNT is going to allow it so it's a moot point, for now anyway.