• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
MoonsaultSlayer
Oct 27, 2017
Shamelessly bumping because it was a late (my time) Friday night post.

Or no one gives a shit about AFI =[.

oni_saru

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know that's what AFI stands for lol

Still listen to Sing the Sorrow.

This new song is alright.

shazrobot

Oct 28, 2017
Yo AFI was my first concert. Black Sails was my jam, as was Very Proud of Ya. Not that much into their new stuff, but I'll always respect them and cheer their success.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
the new afi album was generic garbage.

Black Sails and AoD both didn't age well but people look at them with nostalgia glasses on so you're gonna hear ppl talk about how great they are.

December Underground is a solid mainstream rock album.

Crash love is underrated.

Burials is more artsy gloomy sad AFI shit. almost like they just embraced the caricature surrounding the band.

then the blood album, which is like i said, bad. its a paint by numbers alternative rock album.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I haven't liked a single thing after December Underground, and I barely liked that album.
This single is no different.

Luxuria

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Miami, FL
The instrumentals sound great but it's one of those songs where I was hoping Davey would let go and start screaming. Like, it doesn't match up to the instrumentals. Still, I'm looking forward to more AFI.

OP
OP
MoonsaultSlayer
Oct 27, 2017
The instrumentals sound great but it's one of those songs where I was hoping Davey would let go and start screaming. Like, it doesn't match up to the instrumentals. Still, I'm looking forward to more AFI.
Same. After a few listens, the lyrics are far too simple. But the overall sound gives me good vibes so I'm still in.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

Oh I give many shits about AFI. Despite my avatar, AFI has been my favorite band for a long time. Saw them twice last year (once with Circa, which was a dream come true) and they are sounding amazing these days. I've seen dozens of bands live and none of them change the entire vibe of the venue like AFI does when they come out. I even got to meet Hunter for the first time and he's a really cool dude.

I can't wait for this EP. The Blood Album was awesome and we haven't gotten an EP from AFI since like... 336/Now The World. Get Dark is really catchy. Reminds me of Wild and Dumb Kids with a bit of Dancing Through Sunday in there.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
When I saw the first preview pic I was worried Davey had left the band. Can't wait for this to drop!

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I used to be such a stan back in emo era.

Sing The Sorrow is their opus

The Burials? album was pretty good and much better than the one before and after it, they kinda suck now

gimmmick

Nov 26, 2017
Shamelessly bumping because it was a late (my time) Friday night post.

I stop caring after they released "The art of drowning". Black sails will always be my favorite ablum if theirs. I will always remember them as the east bay hardcore of their youth instead of the Depeche Mode knock off act.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Symbolism on stuff his clothing line put out, lyrics especially those from his Xtrmst stuff. It's well documented.
Hahaha, how did I know that XTRMST would be your "source". It's scary that you can just casually call someone a nazi and have absolutely no fucking idea what you're talking about.

"Well documented". Get the fuck out of here.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
So you can explain all the problematic lyrics coupled with the nazi/ white supremacy imigary? Pls.
XTRMST is a straight edge band. The lyrics have nothing to do with nazism. If anything, they condemn the very mentality that gave rise to nazism.

Perhaps you could provide some examples of this imagery that you're speaking of first? Regardless, using controversial imagery in art does not make someone a nazi or a supporter of everything that imagery evokes. Davey Havok has never spoken a word in support of nazism, fascism, or any kind of hateful rhetoric towards any group of people that a nazi would vilify. He's been openly supportive of gay rights and trans rights and he's certainly had nothing good to say about our current president and the political climate that he has created.

So maybe you could do a little research or critical thinking before casually labeling someone who is clearly not a nazi, a nazi. It's really fucked up that anyone who doesn't know any better can see your post and think that you actually know what you're talking about.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
XTRMST is a straight edge band. The lyrics have nothing to do with nazism. If anything, they condemn the very mentality that gave rise to nazism.
I wonder how CM Punk came about using one of their songs. He also referenced himself as straight edge.

I guess some people, who didnt do any research, could see this group as some sort of supremacist group.

15xl5aq.jpg

empty feat

Oct 29, 2017
Yorkshire, UK

Perhaps you could provide some examples of this imagery that you're speaking of first? Regardless, using controversial imagery in art does not make someone a nazi or a supporter of everything that imagery evokes. Davey Havok has never spoken a word in support of nazism, fascism, or any kind of hateful rhetoric towards any group of people that a nazi would vilify. He's been openly supportive of gay rights and trans rights and he's certainly had nothing good to say about our current president and the political climate that he has created.

So maybe you could do a little research or critical thinking before casually labeling someone who is clearly not a nazi, a nazi. It's really fucked up that anyone who doesn't know any better can see your post and think that you actually know what you're talking about.
I'm not here to do your research for you, people can make their own minds up, but when you're singing about colour and blood purity and breeds in very violent rhetoric, that's not straight edge my guy. And putting black sun wheels on t shirts along with other similar symbolism, why the fuck wouldn't people associate that with neo-nazism. There's controversial edgy hardcore and then there's this.

OP
OP
MoonsaultSlayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not here to do your research for you, people can make their own minds up, but when you're singing about colour and blood purity and breeds in very violent rhetoric, that's not straight edge my guy. And putting black sun wheels on t shirts along with other similar symbolism, why the fuck wouldn't people associate that with neo-nazism. There's controversial edgy hardcore and then there's this.
It's meant to be violent, hence "eXTReMiST". It's Davey and Jade's avenue to vent what they feel they can't with AFI.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017

You clearly know as much about music as you do about Davey Havok. Why would Davey, a person who has associated himself with the straight edge movement since his early teens, just decide to make a side project all about nazism and white supremacy? No, the lyrics are clearly not about the thing that Davey is deeply passionate about. He's just going to flip the switch and scream about supporting nazism and white supremacy while never EVER talking positively about those ideologies outside of XTRMST. Yeah, that's the most logical conclusion.

You're calling a man a nazi because you gravely misinterpreted his lyrics and saw some imagery in his clothing line. Can you provide one example of Davey speaking positively about nazism? Acting out on his malicious nazi views? No? Oh right, because he's not a fucking nazi. I could provide you with plenty of clips of Davey talking about being inclusive and supporting gay rights among other VERY "Nazi-like" things (did you catch the sarcasm?)... but why should I do your research for you, right?

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017

Not to attack you, but if you walk into a thread calling someone nazi trash with zero receipts and then tell someone to "do your own research", that's a pretty bad look. So keep in mind I'd literally never listened to XTRMST before I saw this thread. From all I can tell, they had one album, one logo, one shirt, one hat and I don't see any resemblance to nazi imagery from that (I can find zero black sun wheel stuff with their name on it). The only logo and piece of merch I've ever seen seems to draw way

Lyrically, it appears to be speaking about people who are straight edge vs people who aren't. The pure/devout being straight edge and everyone else being those who drink, do drugs, and other things that go against straight edge.

Now, will I argue that Nazi punks aren't way into this? Absolutely not. They're all a bunch of idiots who interpret things to be favorable to them. With that said, I think you might be a bit off base on this.

Now on topic. Good single! I fell off after decembre underground since it just really wasn't for me but I did like the sound of Crash Love, but it was not a very AFI album. This sounds way more like The Blood Album so I've got hopes this'll be different.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I wonder how CM Punk came about using one of their songs. He also referenced himself as straight edge.

I guess some people, who didnt do any research, could see this group as some sort of supremacist group.

15xl5aq.jpg

To be fair, this is true with a lot of punk symbology, most of which is used ironically. I had a jacket with a Crass symbol back patch, and though I was never confronted, I bet a few people gave me the side-eye after noticing it's similarity to the swastika.

Straight-edge bands though... it's undeniable violence, social conservatism and right-wing sloganeering has tainted entire scenes, Hardline being the obvious example.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I would say I'm a lapsed AFI fan (I was a huge fan during the Black Sails/Art of Drowning days and don't care for modern AFI really) but this sounds good.

Finjitzu

Oct 25, 2017
SK Canada
I remeber when AFI stood for Asking For It.

Haven't been into AFI as much as I used to, but like other bands, I'll probably listen to it later in life and appreciate it more than when it is first released.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
At first I was surprised to see an AFI thread, but then I see it's my buddy MoonsaultSlayer!!! Hey man!

I'm a hardcore AFI fan. They're my favorite band. I love all their shit, old stuff and new with as much passion as every album before it. But I have to be honest, I wasn't feeling this song. It sounds good, but it just feels too simple. However it gives me hope the EP is going to be a great time. There will be some good music there for sure. There always is.

Also this is AFI we're talking about. Most of their music today takes some time to grow on you. The first impression is almost always, "uh... cool I guess." Then you find yourself banging to it days later. Not saying this song is like that, but that's just how it's been for me and many others lately.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
At first I was surprised to see an AFI thread, but then I see it's my buddy MoonsaultSlayer!!! Hey man!

I'm a hardcore AFI fan. They're my favorite band. I love all their shit, old stuff and new with as much passion as every album before it. But I have to be honest, I wasn't feeling this song. It sounds good, but it just feels too simple. However it gives me hope the EP is going to be a great time. There will be some good music there for sure. There always is.

Also this is AFI we're talking about. Most of their music today takes some time to grow on you. The first impression is almost always, "uh... cool I guess." Then you find yourself banging to it days later. Not saying this song is like that, but that's just how it's been for me and many others lately.

fist-bump-gif.gif

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm laughing so hard to myself right now at someone thinking Davey is a nazi. One of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

New song's a banger. Looking forward to the rest.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
I have loved every album they have put out since I started listening in the late 90's. I just recently saw them again on their most recent tour with anti-flag and they sounded maybe the best yet.

This nazi talk is the absolute dumbest garbage. wtf.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
I was a big fan of AFI. Their All Hallow's EP was the album I first got into.

Funny story, I saw Me Myself and Irene in the theater and Offspring's cover of Total Immortal played during the credits. I thought the song was so good I bought an Offspring album, but I hated it. By chance, I eventually heard AFI's original version and realized the error of my ways. Keep in mind internet was accessible back then, so it's not like I could have googled the song.

I stopped listening to AFI after Crash Love. To be honest I'm not sure why. I just stopped paying attention.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Love it. This EP is sounding way more upbeat than Burials and The Blood Album so far.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds...NICE! Been following AFI since their punk days in the late 90's. This sounds sort of like a return to the "Sing The Sorrow" style, which was fantastic. If that is still Jade playing, he as usual does magical work with his barre chords.

Looking forward to hearing more!!

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Black Sails is always going to be my favorite I think. I wasn't huge on Answer That And Stay Fashionable in high school, and the later stuff wasn't bad, but got progressively.. different. Black Sails seemed like the perfect middle ground for me.

New stuff sounds fine though.

chirt

Oct 25, 2017
Not feeling it, but it makes me want to blast Sing the Sorrow on the way home from work. So I'll do just that.