• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Over the years Davey's personas have ranged from:

Bratty punk

Pissed off hardcore guy

Goth theater kid

Danzig fanboy

And for the last decade or so I feel like he's been like an LA socialite or something

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Black Sails is always going to be my favorite I think. I wasn't huge on Answer That And Stay Fashionable in high school, and the later stuff wasn't bad, but got progressively.. different. Black Sails seemed like the perfect middle ground for me.

New stuff sounds fine though.

YES. You and I are now friends. Black Sails was a fantastic go-between with the punky style that they had when just starting, and the more "gothy" vibe that they evolved into.

Also Dexter Holland from The Offspring did some lyrics for that one, which is Aces in my book.

Through, our bleeding, we, are one.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
YES. You and I are now friends. Black Sails was a fantastic go-between with the punky style that they had when just starting, and the more "gothy" vibe that they evolved into.

Also Dexter Holland from The Offspring did some lyrics for that one, which is Aces in my book.

Through, our bleeding, we, are one.

Yes!

Jesus.. I just put Black Sails on (it's been a while) and damn is that one good-ass banger. I instinctively remember it's good, but getting a audible reminder is so good. I am pretty sure I died my bleached blond hair black at some point while listening to this album.

I was never super into the whole scream-punk thing, was always more partial to the melodic side (which lead to my love affair with pop-punk, sigh).. imagine my conflicted mind with At the Drive in... I think I ended up liking Boy Sets Fire more.

But anyway.. I remember seeing AFI in Petaluma sometime in 2000, probably at the Pheonix Theater.. such an awesome show.. got my car broken into and my whole CD book (200 CDs!!!!) and expensive camera stolen.. but what a night. Fuck I feel old.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Break Angels is awesome. Reminds me of Crash Love.

Back Into The Sun reminds me of The Pixies. Very cool.

The Missing Man... god damn. This song is unlike anything they've ever done and it is incredible.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I concur, The Missing Man is crazy good. I can't stop listening to this song.

This Time Imperfect has always been my favorite song, but I think The Missing Man is right there.

Deleted member 28131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Trash Bat and The Missing Man are so good. Best songs AFI have done in years.

If anyone has yet to check out Dreamcar, do it!

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I lived in California. They played Trash Bat and Break Angels live tonight, both sounded great even from the recordings I saw. Get Dark got played for the KROQ special.

Also this set list is beautiful.

It's a bummer there's not more Blood/Burials, but AFI is well past the point of being able to fit all their highs in a live show.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I may be going to the SD show tonight. I'd cry if they premiered Back Into The Sun and The Missing Man!

Greater Than 84 sounded incredible from a recording I saw. One of my favorites.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Saw them in SD last night. What an incredible show. I swear to god I was talking to a friend in line at the show about how I had seen all of Sing The Sorrow live except for "...but home is nowhere". I figured they would never play that song again... when it started up I looked at my friend like "no FUCKING way...". Oh, and that was AFTER the double feature of Now The World and Synes - fucking- thesia. Which I wasn't counting as a part of seeing Sing The Sorrow live but they knocked all three out in one night. Then they played Feed From The Floor, which is my favorite track from The Blood Album. AND Endlessly, She Said, my favorite off of Decemberunderground.

And to top it all off Jade said hi, and both Adam and Hunter hung out for quite a while signing stuff, taking pictures, and talking about all sorts of random stuff.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Hate to bump a severely old thread, but I don't think AFI news justifies a new thread if it's not an album announcement.

Anyway, just got an email from DF that AFI is selling a "Fuck Racism" shirt and donating all proceeds to the Marsha P. Johnson Institute. Maybe some of you all here would be interested.

Fuck Racism T-Shirt

All of AFI’s proceeds from the reimagined ‘I Hate Punk Rock’ shirt will be donated to the Marsha P. Johnson Institute. Marsha P. Johnson was an activist, self-identified drag queen, performer, and survivor. She was a prominent figure in the Stonewall uprising of 1969. The Marsha P. Johnson...

OP
OP
MoonsaultSlayer
Oct 27, 2017
Nice bump. Thought this was awesome.

But goddamnit I went through with my order, played 3 laps of CTR catching up to my kids because I sat at the starting line doing my order only to find out my address didn't auto fill correctly. Kept trying and trying. Now it's sold out.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Nice bump. Thought this was awesome.

But goddamnit I went through with my order, played 3 laps of CTR catching up to my kids because I sat at the starting line doing my order only to find out my address didn't auto fill correctly. Kept trying and trying. Now it's sold out.
Aw man, still sold out? Hopefully they pop back in soon. I know Blaqk Audio has a similar shirt as well.

EDIT: AFI HQ says they're back in stock as of 5 mins ago.

OP
OP
MoonsaultSlayer
Oct 27, 2017
It has been a while! I'm doing well, but it's been a hell of a year, but that's the case for everyone right now lol. I've had a lot going on outside of the pandemic. How've you been?
Honestly, been relying on music as a way to release my frustrations at these goings ons. Rage has been a staple for many a window down car rides lol. Waiting for new Horse the Band and AFI.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Hate to bump a severely old thread, but I don't think AFI news justifies a new thread if it's not an album announcement.

Anyway, just got an email from DF that AFI is selling a "Fuck Racism" shirt and donating all proceeds to the Marsha P. Johnson Institute. Maybe some of you all here would be interested.

Fuck Racism T-Shirt

All of AFI’s proceeds from the reimagined ‘I Hate Punk Rock’ shirt will be donated to the Marsha P. Johnson Institute. Marsha P. Johnson was an activist, self-identified drag queen, performer, and survivor. She was a prominent figure in the Stonewall uprising of 1969. The Marsha P. Johnson...
But... remember how "well documented" it was that Davey is nazi trash?

His XTRMST lyrics were clearly about white supremacy and not about the straight edge movement that he has advocated for the majority of his life!

Thanks for reminding me about the hottest and dumbest take I've read on this site.

OP
OP
MoonsaultSlayer
Oct 27, 2017
But... remember how "well documented" it was that Davey is nazi trash?

His XTRMST lyrics were clearly about white supremacy and not about the straight edge movement that he has advocated for the majority of his life!

Thanks for reminding me about the hottest and dumbest take I've read on this site.

Hahahaha. Excellent callback. Scrolling up earlier made me laugh again.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Lol, I wasn't going to call out anyone, but I definitely thought about that discussion as I was posting the shirt.
Honestly, been relying on music as a way to release my frustrations at these goings ons. Rage has been a staple for many a window down car rides lol. Waiting for new Horse the Band and AFI.
Me too. Music has helped me get through things with both positive and negative energy. I've discovered a lot of new bands that I love.

As far as AFI is concerned, from the recent band interviews.. last month? it seems like the new AFI album is done or nearly done as they made it sound like it would be out nowish, but covid caused them to postpone. At least that's what I got from Jade and Hunter's interviews. Jade even played a split second of a new song.

OP
OP
MoonsaultSlayer
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I wasn't going to call out anyone, but I definitely thought about that discussion as I was posting the shirt.
Me too. Music has helped me get through things with both positive and negative energy. I've discovered a lot of new bands that I love.

As far as AFI is concerned, from the recent band interviews.. last month? it seems like the new AFI album is done or nearly done as they made it sound like it would be out nowish, but covid caused them to postpone. At least that's what I got from Jade and Hunter's interviews. Jade even played a split second of a new song.
I've followed both AFI and HQ forever... how did I miss that snippet?

I do remember they mentioned they'd have a song or two at the fests that ended up being canceled. And that the album is "eclectic". Can't wait. I'm betting on them evolving from what they did on The Missing Man track. Loved that song and want more like it.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I've followed both AFI and HQ forever... how did I miss that snippet?

I do remember they mentioned they'd have a song or two at the fests that ended up being canceled. And that the album is "eclectic". Can't wait. I'm betting on them evolving from what they did on The Missing Man track. Loved that song and want more like it.
It was during Jade's instagram livestream about what he was doing during quarantine. It was such a troooollll, it was literally a split second of a song xD

OP
OP
MoonsaultSlayer
Oct 27, 2017
It was during Jade's instagram livestream about what he was doing during quarantine. It was such a troooollll, it was literally a split second of a song xD
Oooh. I didn't watch his. Or a lot of it anyway. Man, times were milder back then. Tiger King was still a thing (I say this because I remember cracking a joke about Davey's Joe Exotic hair during his haha).

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
6 months or so since the tease, new music is finally dropping this Friday. Two songs from the new album. I'm so excited!!

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
It's gonna be so painful waiting for the full album after these singles drop. The Missing Man was fantastic and these little snippets sound great so far.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure if you wanna start a new thread or not MoonsaultSlayer but...

I get some major Circa Survive vibes from Twisted Tongues. It's fucking awesome. Escape From Los Angeles took a few listens to grow on me but it is a bop, for sure.