• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
Just got the email, but I only have it in german. Maybe somebody can post the english one, so I can put in the OP. The Servers of the remaster will stay online.

MykonosFan

Oct 25, 2017
Take me down to EA's server city, where the player count is low and the costs ain't pretty. Oh, won't you please leave them up?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
lasted longer then driveclub did but still sucks

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
The textures in the remaster look like a bad fanmade "HD" mod so consider me bummed by this.

Not literally this bad, but you get the idea:

6ejn1e7fao801.jpg

MrFortyFive

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Always a shame to see servers shut down, but 11 years is a good run. At least the remaster should stick around for a while.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
What a bastards!!!

That support... game outlived my WiiU and almost my PSVita and 3ds..

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would love the know the cost of keeping these servers up and running, or how much it takes up employees time maintaining them.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Unrelated to the topic at hand, but this game ruined that song for me. After booting up that game so many times last generation, I never want to hear the first 30 seconds of that song ever again.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Played the PS3 version online most recently in 2018 (after the remaster release); found games without trouble. This game is a gem in multiplayer.

I'm dreading the day they take Most Wanted 2012 offline.

Deleted member 32804

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 13, 2017
This game literally turned me into a Guns N Roses fan and cultivated my taste in music to this day. Has a special place.

Valtekken

Nov 7, 2017
Bari, Italy
Fuck me, I was waiting for the season pass to go on sale and drop back to 6€. Looks like I'll have to drop that cash sooner than expected.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
EA used to kill off servers for games after 3 or 4 years. Good that they supported the game so long and the remastered version will still be supported.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
There should be a requirement that server hosting tools or some kind of solution is in place when a company shuts down the servers for a game. Otherwise what is to become of all these games in the future when a company has finally decided to pull the plug on something? Driveclub is a perfect example of this. An open source non commercial/sold for profit solution should have to be provided at shutdown of the company hosted server. I worry about what happens with games like Destiny or the Division when we get to that point with them. The only real hope honestly is the PC versions get reverse engineered at its end of life by the community to find a way to keep playing, similar to old WoW servers.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe they were still up.

I loved this game back in the day, and it got PLENTY of free support from Criterion as well, including re-hauling how the entire game looked.

EA sucks for what they did to this developer.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
While it hasn't been running for a decade. Fans reconstructed the Japanese Server codes for Resident Evil Outbreak to bring the game back online through original hardware or emulation.

Will fans be able to comply with regulatory user data storage and processing practices? Will they be trying to keep years old systems up to date?
When shit goes wrong and data is accessed by external parties due to the game relying on years old and outdated packages with likely an infinite amount of security holes by now, are the fans going to be responsible for the legal ramifications? Releasing server software is not exactly straightforward due to these and many other reasons. :)

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Bless this game. It was one of the best games last gen. Probably have well over a thousand hours in it.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While it hasn't been running for a decade. Fans reconstructed the Japanese Server codes for Resident Evil Outbreak to bring the game back online through original hardware or emulation.
That's impressive. Maybe some sort of private server handoff system should be implemented. I'd rather it be a company that can pay people to upkeep servers than fans doing volunteer work tbh

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Will fans be able to comply with regulatory user data storage and processing practices? Will they be trying to keep years old systems up to date?
When shit goes wrong and data is accessed by external parties due to the game relying on years old and outdated packages with likely an infinite amount of security holes by now, are the fans going to be responsible for the legal ramifications? Releasing server software is not exactly straightforward due to these and many other reasons. :)

You got me there. All I can reply with is
You still owe me dinosaurs in Battlefield :).

Walnut

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Austin, TX
I wish companies would get sued for not providing fan tools to run online servers after official upkeep is unfeasible

Moreso I'm upset with Sony for how they launch a game and then kill the online six months later like it's no big deal, but it's still upsetting to see games like this lose a huge part of what makes them special. It makes my inner games-conservationist cry