• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
...for Halloween.
N6PfUb1.png

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/status/923526448668921856

The Driver

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Has he ever been spotted in the costume? Like not even in concept art?

He should just do it one time so the fans can stop losing their minds about it.

I can understand though cuz Fox has the worst CBM costumes besides Deadpool.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Well, I guess it's--

You know what? No. It's not better than nothing.

We almost had it. It was SO CLOSE.
Wolverine-Movie-Alternate-Ending-Costume.jpg

Alo0oy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bahrain
Damn it, you could have stayed for one more movie or two. Him interacting with Deadpool would have been so hype!

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Haha, he should do it for charity. Ask fans to pay up to finally see him in the costume. 500.000 dollars for the belt. 2.000.000 for the mask, etc.
"And just like that, three gajillion dollars were raised and earth was saved forever."

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The yellow suit needs to stay in the comics where it belongs. It'll look stupid on film. And that's because it's stupid anyway.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine being the guy working in that store and suddenly Hugh Jackman walks up to you with that costume

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
So they just need to figure out the helmet. I bet Ryan Meinerding or Andy Park could nail it.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
Yikes. Some things just don't work on the big screen and I'm glad the directors realized that.

Imagine if he had put on that ugly, goofy mask in cinematic masterpiece Logan? Would have ruined the tone of the film.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
You guys would be saying that about any number of the costumes in the MCU. I mean, Vision? Cap? Heck, they figured out Black Panther's tooth necklace.

It could work.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
It could woooooooork
Sort of
r4L7Bhz.jpg
That mask serves zero purpose.

You guys would be saying that about any number of the costumes in the MCU. I mean, Vision? Cap? Heck, they figured out Black Panther's tooth necklace.

It could work.
The difference is purpose. Cap is wearing a literal propaganda costume given a utilitarian makeover. Thor is wearing viking space armor. Hawkeye is wearing a tactical suit, same with Black Widow. Vision is a robot who only wears a cape out of some respect of Thor. Black Panther's costume is a traditional symbolic warrior costume given a technological makeover.

Why does Wolverine wear that mask with the goofy wings peeking out to the side? He's the guy that would rather insult someone looking for like an idiot while chomping a cigar, and yet he wears a costume to make him look like a glorified raccoon? Ooo and it has claw marks to show how "fierce" he is!

Last edited:

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Why does Black Panther have the ears? Dude's allowed to sorta look like a wolverine. They can make it look cool, mask included.
He could look like a superhero. The Vision's cape being based on Thor is a retcon for the movies. They could do a similar thing for Wolvie's mask if they wanted to.

wolverine+Gulo_gulo_gulo_juvenile+wikimedia+commons.jpg

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
Why does Black Panther have the ears? Dude's allowed to sorta look like a wolverine. They can make it look cool, mask included.
He could look like a superhero. The Vision's cape being based on Thor is a retcon for the movies. They could do a similar thing for Wolvie's mask if they wanted to.

This should be wolverines second mutation.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France

Now if he just wore that on his head I'd be okay with it.
Alive of course. It would be like that guy in FFXIII with a chocobo living in his hair.

Edit: oh and now we can quote big pictures without deforming the page. Neat!

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Again, BP's costume has cultural significance. Any motifs it carries for the movies is still based in that culture.

If I'm a professional costume designer for the next X-Men movie, and I'm studying the character from the script and having to design his outfit, what about Wolverine reads like a guy who wears this goofy wing mask? The guy already has this ridiculous inexplicable haircut. He's gonna wear this extremely inconvenient wing mask so that he can "become the beast"?

Oct 25, 2017
I have literally always thought the wolverine costume was dumb, and it was a large part of why as a kid I didn't really respect X-Men or wolverine. I just thought the blue and yellow outfits looked dumb.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Wolverine starts out in Weapon X. He gets a code name. He's forced to hide his face, being an asset to the program. Someone designs his outfit based on the code name. You can add more context to why the name "wolverine" is chosen if you want. His general silhouette becomes iconic as a superpowered murderous assassin. Tone down the width of the eye-ears.

OR, someone in the fucking X-Men designs the team costumes and is having a laugh. They're whimsical. It clashes with Logan's personality but he puts on the costume anyway. It's oddly fitting. He looks cool.

Guys, this can happen!

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Wolverine starts out in Weapon X. He gets a code name. He's forced to hide his face, being an asset to the program. Someone designs his outfit based on the code name. You can add more context to why the name "wolverine" is chosen if you want. His general silhouette becomes iconic as a superpowered murderous assassin. Tone down the width of the eye-ears.

OR, someone in the fucking X-Men designs the team costumes and is having a laugh. They're whimsical. It clashes with Logan's personality but he puts on the costume anyway. It's oddly fitting. He looks cool.

Guys, this can happen!
NERD!!!!!

Ahem, just kidding. First paragraph is really good. It could work in a comic-book mini I think. But explaining all of that in a movie with a limited runtime, I don't know. But hey, I agree, it could work. I'm just not that attached to the mask or to the idea of Wolvie as a superhero in general. He's a mutant who has to fight for his kind on occasion. And by that I mean like 30 times a week.

A deleted scene from The Wolverine.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Guys, this can happen!
What shadowy government agency puts their secret enhanced assassins in flashy colorful jumpsuits? Why would he not be wearing a uniform, like, y'know, soldiers do? Maybe he gets some extra special gear, but I can't imagine the approval process of getting a goofy looking animal mask on their soldiers. Again, even Captain America's costume had to be justified as a piece of wartime propaganda. Also usually the point of assassins is to like... not have them be seen. Or to look as nondescript as possible, and not at all something you could tie to a specific agency, or even to another attack.

And if someone on the X-men designed it as a goof, why the hell would Wolverine put it on at all instead of looking at whoever made it and telling them to fuck off? Wouldn't he more than likely just wear his jacket and regular clothes in that case? Or even like just a black shirt and pants considering he's the former black ops soldier guy who should know the tactical importance of not plainly visible clothing?

Like, shit flies in the comics and no one bats an eye. Because it's the comics, and usually they're too busy fighting mutant dinosaurs from the Savage Land on a regular basis for anyone to notice. A movie trying to sell even a slightly realistic or relatable world would deeefinitely have a problem of selling that.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Khanimus, or Shaanyboi, or my guy, or what have you-- no. Because it's a comic book movie. And if he didn't debut in a movie that was afraid to be a comic book movie, he'd have the mask. He probably wouldn't be putting it on in James Mangold's Logan. But he would wear it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Khanimus, or Shaanyboi, or my guy, or what have you-- no. Because it's a comic book movie. And if he didn't debut in a movie that was afraid to be a comic book movie, he'd have the mask. He probably wouldn't be putting it on in James Mangold's Logan. But he would wear it.
"It's a comic book movie, who cares" isn't how costume designers do their jobs. Not good ones, anyway.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
"It's a comic book movie, who cares" isn't how costume designers do their jobs. Not good ones, anyway.
I very much agree. However, I feel like I put more effort into rationalizing his mask in the posts above than most superhero movie producers did in the entire Aughts.

Regarding the "realistic" assassin agency-- OK. It's Weapon X. Deadpool exists. The guy has metal damn retractable claws and can heal from being exploded. FULLY exploded. Weapon X is allowed to be comic book-y.

Papa Satanás

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
no
Just ditch the whole headgear in general and do his hair pointy again. Same thing, just toned down.

The rest of the costume is pretty rad imo

Seb

Oct 25, 2017
Toulouse
It's already too late. If I ever see this mask in a movie, I'll automatically think I'm watching a biopic of Not adventures.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
I very much agree. However, I feel like I put more effort into rationalizing his mask in the posts above than most superhero movie producers did in the entire Aughts.

Regarding the "realistic" assassin agency-- OK. It's Weapon X. Deadpool exists. The guy has metal damn retractable claws and can heal from being exploded. FULLY exploded. Weapon X is allowed to be comic book-y.
The X-Men movies were sold as sci-fi action films, not as comicbook superheroes. Whether it be poorly conceived civil rights parables, notions of biological and sociological evolution, or even Teriminator-style robot apocalypses, they've still stuck to that mould. Apocalypse is maybe the first of these films that feels like the X-Men from the comics. It's also a pretty bad movie. Maybe if they get Phoenix Saga to work with the their generally brighter tone, colorful costumes etc., then you can get a ludicrous Wolverine mask in there. But even Marvel, with their playful tone and ridiculous shit still design from a point of view of utility in a way that's appropriate to the characters.

Deadpool is its own weird thing, it operates like its own weird thing, and when he finally starts showing up in the other X-Men movies, then you can start making those comparisons. But as of right now, it plays by its own rules which feel appropriate for what that movie needs to be.

I don't get why everyone assumed it was spandex. I always thought it was some kind of thick leather like armour in the comics.
Nowadays, sure. A lot more thought goes into understanding clothing and fabric when dealing with costumed heroes in just the last few years by artists. But the way costumes like that were drawn for decades were as if they were wearing easily tearable fabric. There are so many images out there of that stuff torn to shreds and just loosely hanging off these characters in ways something like armor or leather never does. If it was meant to be leather, the artists clearly had no grasp of how leather actually looks or moves.

fallengorn

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
New York City

Wolverines frighten me. It's time my enemies shared my dread.