• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buttzerker

Powerhouse Protector / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reasons are already stated and are solid. Alien Isolation is not a FPS most certainly. And having the ability to pich the protagonist comes with sacrifices. Look at Far Cry 5. I was very happy when I realize you finally could pick the protagonist, but little I knew it would have cost everything, even their voice. The protagonist became a non-character, in a game like Far Cry 5 that had very negative consequences.

Or look at No One Lives Forever. The fact that you play a woman is central to the game. You couldn't have a game like that with multiple protagonits. Even Ion Fury, the very fact the protagonist speak might be due to a single lead.

"Perfect Dark Zero is bad cuz I said so" is the opposite of a solid reason dude

stangthang26

Aug 15, 2018
The reasons are already stated and are solid. Alien Isolation is not a FPS most certainly. And having the ability to pich the protagonist comes with sacrifices. Look at Far Cry 5. I was very happy when I realize you finally could pick the protagonist, but little I knew it would have cost everything, even their voice. The protagonist became a non-character, in a game like Far Cry 5 that had very negative consequences.

Or look at No One Lives Forever. The fact that you play a woman is central to the game. You couldn't have a game like that with multiple protagonits. Even Ion Fury, the very fact the protagonist speak might be due to a single lead.
What negative consequences are there for picking your character?

Stayfone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
First great female led Fps in 17 years!

*Except those FPSes I decided are not great because of reasons

**Also games with gender chosen protags don't count

***Alien Isolation doesn't either sorry because reasons

****Also maybe not Metroid Prime
This.

Also, i was excited for IF because it looked cool (not because gender) but couldnt get into it. Enemy design was repetitive, levels a bit bland and the one liners too forced, had to refund it. So yea..

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic is a useless metric. Anyone that has actually played Perfect Dark Zero outside of the new console hype window (which is the only reason PDZ scored as high as it did) will let you know that it's terrible.
Played it a few years after release. Not terrible. Not outstanding, but not terrible.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimately I just don't understand why the need is always felt on this website to promote one game by insulting others. This could have literally just been a thread called "a great new female led FPS is out" and it would have been better for it.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Here's the trailer:

And yes, it's an excellent homage to that era of late 90's FPS's and the main lead is one cool customer. I'm more partial to Dishonour 2's Emily Kaldwin, who is still tops for being my favourite female lead in a modern AA video game.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored is an immersive sim. You can play the whole game without shooting a single person.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Here's the trailer:

And yes, it's an excellent homage to that era of late 90's FPS's and the main lead is one cool customer. I'm more partial to Dishonour 2's Emily Kaldwin, who is still tops for being my favourite female lead in a modern AA video game.

This looks pretty fun, but I just don't get some of it conceptually. I don't mind using old school graphics, but the weird/stilted animation for shooting and reloading should just remain in the past. The reason that stuff existed was because there were technical limitations. I don't understand purposefully going backwards. It probably takes more effort to do animation that poor now than it does to make it fluid.

P.S. NOLF 2 = still one of the GOATs.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also I think Battlefront 2s campaign was underrated and had a great female protagonist

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You're so correct.

That's not really an answer to my post...
regardless, I dare say a lot of people would are with me that PDZ is not a great FPS.

And I can find a bunch of people who would not agree with you what's your point? Either way it's a subjective analysis

Also I gave you a real answer which you conveniently ignored a few posts up

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
There should for sure be more women in lead roles in FPS, but this thread reeks of a bunch of goalpost movement to attempt to make that point.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
I have heard good things about Hedon, another recent retro indie FPS, but it isnt as famous as Dusk, Amid Evil and Ion Fury.

The protagonist isnt human, tho.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
And I can find a bunch of people who would not agree with you what's your point? Either way it's a subjective analysis

Also I gave you a real answer which you conveniently ignored a few posts up

I answered all your points.

But as I mentioned on the op, I believe you're partially right. Some stretches were needed to created this thread, true enough. But I think they're smaller than most people might imagine at first glance. The Metroid Prime situation is the only big one, calling PDZ not great is a very small one and not calling Isolation a FPS is no stretch at all.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I answered all your points.

But as I mentioned on the op, I believe you're partially right. Some stretches were needed to created this thread, true enough. But I think they're smaller than most people might imagine at first glance. The Metroid Prime situation is the only big one, calling PDZ not great is a very small one and not calling Isolation a FPS is no stretch at all.

You still haven't answered my core point

Ultimately I just don't understand why the need is always felt on this website to promote one game by insulting others. This could have literally just been a thread called "a great new female led FPS is out" and it would have been better for it.

Why make it a competition or whatever this is in the first place? Why did you need to title this thread anything more than "Hey heres this new game"

Why the needless provocation

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
Uhm...why yall talking about Perfect Dark Zero when uhm...Perfect Dark exists...yall must be younger.
Yes, Perfect Dark is a great FPS.

Phantom88

Banned
Jan 7, 2018
This looks pretty fun, but I just don't get some of it conceptually. I don't mind using old school graphics, but the weird/stilted animation for shooting and reloading should just remain in the past. The reason that stuff existed was because there were technical limitations. I don't understand purposefully going backwards. It probably takes more effort to do animation that poor now than it does to make it fluid.

P.S. NOLF 2 = still one of the GOATs.

This is actually using the Duke 3d engine from 1996. Its not mimicking old graphics, it actually uses that engine.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Battlefront 2 literally just came out. So weird that people keep forgetting it. EA bandwagon aside, it was a fun campaign and I'll stand by that.

Angst

Oct 27, 2017
Okay OP. You and the gameplay video sold me on it. Just need to wait for it to release on console.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the subjective thing? Caused I already answer that and said I think you're right.

No dude the part about why you even made this thread under an inherently needlessly competitive premise from the jump.

Theres zero reason this thread should not have been "A great female led FPS is coming out". Adding "The first great" is pointlessly provocative and insulting to other games. It served no benefit except for trying to force a competition that should not exist when we need as many female led games as possible

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
No dude the part about why you even made this thread under an inherently needlessly competitive premise from the jump.

Theres zero reason this thread should not have been "A great female led FPS is coming out". Adding "The first great" is pointlessly provocative and insulting to other games. It served no benefit except for trying to force a competition that should not exist when we need as many female led games as possible

Oh that... I hope you're wrong because I just wanted to make a small little fun thread, say how much I love NOLF and make more people aware of Ion Fury. I did think it could be a little insulting to Young Blood but I can live with that.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh that... I hope you're wrong because I just wanted to make a small little fun thread, say how much I love NOLF and make more people aware of Ion Fury. I did think it could be a little insulting to Young Blood but I can live with that.

Fair enough. Maybe I'm being too harsh on you but it seems like it's a constant thing on ERA. No one can ever seem to promote one game without bashing another

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Fair enough. Maybe I'm being too harsh on you but it seems like it's a constant thing on ERA. No one can ever seem to promote one game without bashing another

I sort of feel this way too about Era threads sometimes, and at first glance this thread seems like another example.

But I do kind of feel like I get where the OP might be coming from. The specific asterisks the OP laid out feel unnecessarily reductive initially. On the other hand, video games have traditionally had problems putting women in roles that ask of them the same violence expected of male protagonists, which I think is where the "Portal/Mirror's Edge/Metroid Prime don't count" restrictions come from a bit. Like, those are all great games, but they sort of dodge the notion of giving a woman a gun and letting her go to town. (I think you can make a case for this not being true of Metroid Prime, though.)

I think this thread would've worked better as "Ion Fury shows women can be the star of FPSes again!" but I think I understand why the thread took this specific approach and I don't think it was necessarily a bad angle.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo - Brazil
I sort of feel this way too about Era threads sometimes, and at first glance this thread seems like another example.

But I do kind of feel like I get where the OP might be coming from. The specific asterisks the OP laid out feel unnecessarily reductive initially. On the other hand, video games have traditionally had problems putting women in roles that ask of them the same violence expected of male protagonists, which I think is where the "Portal/Mirror's Edge/Metroid Prime don't count" restrictions come from a bit. Like, those are all great games, but they sort of dodge the notion of giving a woman a gun and letting her go to town. (I think you can make a case for this not being true of Metroid Prime, though.)

I think this thread would've worked better as "Ion Fury shows women can be the star of FPSes again!" but I think I understand why the thread took this specific approach and I don't think it was necessarily a bad angle.

I like this post.

Buttzerker

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sure but that's a thematic consideration not a quality consideration. There's a big distinction between that and claiming this is the 1st female led great shooter as if any other shooters were inherently bad.

OP even admits they were okay with this thread indirectly insulting Wolfenstein Youngblood and I'm just like...why

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Metacritic is a useless metric. Anyone that has actually played Perfect Dark Zero outside of the new console hype window (which is the only reason PDZ scored as high as it did) will let you know that it's terrible.
Meta of around 81 is usually the norm for "game in popular franchise that disappointed lots of fans" anyway

See FFXV and XIII at 81 and 83, Metroid Other M at 79...

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Just because a game has first person view and a gun you might shoot does not make it an FPS.

I mean...if the game is solely from the first person perspective and the primary weapon type is something you shoot, it is literally a first person shooter.

For example, Metroid Prime is a FPS since the core gameplay mechanic is, you know, shooting from a first person perspective.