• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017

This is a huge exploit just recently found. We Dreamcast now lol. I do hope we get a PS2 ODE in time, using a flashcard in time. PS2 still doesn't have that, unlike the Dreamcast or Gamecube, it's generational cousins.

It will be very useful for disc rot issues and with physical preservation.

Tech details in the video description.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i dont remember having a problem playing all the boot... i mean legal movies i bought at the barbershop on my ps2 back then

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
You've been able to play burned or import PS2 DVDs for over a decade with a swap disc without a mod chip to be fair.

Oct 27, 2017
You've been able to play burned or import PS2 DVDs for over a decade with a swap disc without a mod chip to be fair.

There's FreeMCBoot and similar solutions too. IIRC I used that to run a Master System emulator on my PS2 back in the day as I couldn't be arsed to hook up my MS just to play Sonic 2, Castle of Illusion and Lucky Dime Caper.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
real nice exploit, here's hoping something similar will be uncovered on later generations as well.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Free McBoot has been around for ages and doesn't require a mod chip or disc swapping, but this is pretty cool nonetheless.

Ghostavus

Nov 16, 2017
Does anyone know a reliable place to track down a used PS2 at a reasonable price? Also any idea what that is these days? I've always wanted to snag a slim edition to keep for firing up old stuff on occasion.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I use some type of program installed on my memcard that lets me use a usb HDD to play my games. I think it is freemcboot

Nice to know that more options are popping up!
Back up your games now if you ever think you'll want to do this! Some of my games were a bitch and a half to backup due to scratches but I got them all done eventually!

Ultratech

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty impressive work.

Sounds like if you have FreeMcBoot, it's slightly redundant. (You'd still have to use the same ESR patcher for backups, just have to modify some stuff differently.)
But it obviously works wonders if you want to play backups, homebrew, or w/e without having to resort to Swap Disk/FreeMcBoot/etc, which is pretty great.

Doesn't everyone just use FreeMcBoot w/Open PS2 Loader on a large PS2 with a network adapter and an IDE-SATA converter at this point? Might as well be an ODE, and SATA drives can be huge compared to SD cards.

Apparently OPL has come a long way and you can use a Slim PS2 and SMB loading to play games off your local network via a local networked PC which transmits it to the PS2.
(You could use USB loading too, but it'd be much slower since it's using USB 1.1 speeds...)

It's been well over a decade since I've looked into this kinda stuff, and it's impressive how far it's come since.

Holy shit! No need for swap tricks? What about PS1 games?

IIRC, this is possible, but you gotta jump through a few more hoops to pull it off. (And even then, I don't think it's perfect.)

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Ha, who still has a dvd burner though? I'd have to dust off my 2010 macbook pro.

I still have one on my 6yo PC, and since I'm keeping the case for the upgrade I just purchased, I'll likely still have it for the next 5+ years. Not that I'm actually using it. I also have a box of DVDs that I haven't used for years.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I still have my PS2 fat hooked up in my bedroom...I'm not sure how this would be more useful than setting up FreeMCBoot and a hard disk, but maybe it'll be fun to see what kind of shit you can run disc-only.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017

This is a huge exploit just recently found. We Dreamcast now lol. I do hope we get a PS2 ODE in time, using a flashcard in time. PS2 still doesn't have that, unlike the Dreamcast or Gamecube, it's generational cousins.

It will be very useful for disc rot issues and with physical preservation.

Tech details in the video description.

We don'T need an ODE with FreeMcBoot. HDD installs work for the vast majority of games as is

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know. But that's SATA-ugh lol. I want a solid-state solution.
You can use an IDE to Sata adapter and plug in an SSD or better, use a P-ATA to Compact Flash/SD Card adapter instead to easily manipulate files. But it won't go super fast anyway due to tyhe 133 MB limit of ATA drives. The ODE won'T be faster either anyway since the PS2 has a single speed DVD drive and the data bus that goes with it.

TBH I change the games on my PS2 remotely with no hassles.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Yeah, I know. But that's SATA-ugh lol. I want a solid-state solution similar to the Dreamcast and Gamecube.
Get a network adapter and load games off a Samba share on your network? I started doing that to test it and it loads just fine, not even much of a difference from using an internal HDD since, well, it's a slot PATA connection anyway.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
This doesn't seem as convenient as the memory card explot that allows you to play anything off of a HDD, which has existed since forever. Although I can't remember anymore if the HDD has to be a special PS2 one, or if you can use any HDD. I know I have all the PS2 games I want on a HDD that's plugged on it, ready to be played with a loader that loads from the memory card.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
This doesn't seem as convenient as the memory card explot that allows you to play anything off of a HDD, which has existed since forever. Although I can't remember anymore if the HDD has to be a special PS2 one, or if you can use any HDD. I know I have all the PS2 games I want on a HDD that's plugged on it, ready to be played with a loader that loads from the memory card.
You can use any HDD but not bigger than 2 TB and with a max of 500 games I believe. This may have been improved since I last checked 3 years ago

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Sega needs to send a team back in time with this information so that they can save the Dreamcast.

This lets you install the memory card exploit on a stock PS2 with nothing but a burned disk. No more action replays or memory card readers needed.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
There's FreeMCBoot and similar solutions too. IIRC I used that to run a Master System emulator on my PS2 back in the day as I couldn't be arsed to hook up my MS just to play Sonic 2, Castle of Illusion and Lucky Dime Caper.

Free mcboot works on all consoles except the slim 9000 series which was the very last production run. Allows anything to be ran off a flash drive

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I should have really looked into modding when I was getting some imports, would have saved me the headache of buying a PS2 in Japan only the get the one version that doesn't play Initial D lol.

Oct 27, 2017
You can see the sales numbers retroactively decreasing in real time!
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif