• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
Hey peeps,

A couple of months ago I posted a thread about my 2 factor being turned off and someone stealing my PSN account ( https://www.resetera.com/threads/my-psn-account-was-stolen-with-2-factor-turned-on-how.544583/ ) .

After talking on the phone with Sony reps, they managed to return my account, and suggested to change the email associated with the account, which I did, creating a new gmail email for it.

In the short time the thief had it, he got me banned for a week for racism. After the week passed, the account was working fine (mid february).

I was using an xbox gamepass trial, so I didn't go back to PSN until early April, finding out that I couldn't log in again because the account was banned (again). I never got an email from sony about it, yet got every other psn and sony promotional email sent.

I contacted psn support chat, and here's pretty much how it went:
Me: "Hi, my account was banned and I would like to know why"
Sony: "your account was permanently banned, we sent an email explaining why"
Me: "No, I never got an email regarding the ban, may I please know what happened?"
Sony: "You are going to have to wait until the ban is over" (instantly disconnects).

I tried contacting them via askplaystation on twitter; it was been nearly two weeks with no answer to multiple requests.

I tried contacting them via phone, but they require some sort of support id number that I have to get from text chat for me to be able to talk to a live rep on the phone.

I have had my account since day one of PSN existence when ps3 launched, about level 500 trophy wise, so I had been spending on retail and digital for a long while. Heck, i was with the OG Warhawk clan from the other site.

Am I wrong for expecting more from Sony? I can't even get an answer as to why the account was banned, I haven't even been asking to be unbanned (yet). I appreciate if someone here can help out, but at the very least I needed to vent and warn that apparently Sony is undependable.

TL;DR My PSN was banned (for no reason I know of) and Sony wont even tell me what happened.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's awful. What region are you in? I don't have a ton of experience with Sony customer service beyond them giving me a free PS3 Slim when my BC launch PS3 got bricked by FFXIII and they weren't able to fix it. But the fact they're giving you the cold shoulder like that despite you just asking to know what happened is really, really scummy.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks, OP. I've only had to contact their support twice and both times it was pretty bad tbh.

Only thing I could recommend if you haven't already is adding 2FA to your account, but yeah, it's pretty shitty they won't explain the ban.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Goddamn, that's really frustrating, I'm so sorry. I really don't have anything to say other than I hope that you can still access your game library even if buying games there is pointless

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Sony customer service has always been awful especially when it comes to account bans.

I would say see if you have anything related to the support chats regarding you getting your account back and try to contact support about it again to let them know that your account was originally stolen providing receipts to build your case. See if you can get it escalated to someone higher up in support. It will be very difficult though because their customer service is incredibly stubborn and refuse to escalate a lot of the time.

You just have to stay persistent I guess but I'm hoping for the best. Really messed up something like this can happen.

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
What the fuck that's horrible. I'm so sorry OP. Like when you feel like you're doing everything right, you have 2fa on and you're following the instructions you were given as much as you reasonably can and things still aren't working out for you, what more can you do? That must be frustrating to no end.

OP
OP
carlos

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
No, my game library is gone, and the ones I have already downloaded on ps3 won't let me play until I log into psn, so no go there either.

I had put 2FA again after the first incident, it wasn't turned off again at any point afterwards.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
That sucks, OP. I've only had to contact their support twice and both times it was pretty bad tbh.

Only thing I could recommend if you haven't already is adding 2FA to your account, but yeah, it's pretty shitty they won't explain the ban.
He has 2FA, it's in the first paragraph

It can be circumvented with social engenering

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand the secrecy behind bans. If a company is going to permanently ban you from their services they should be required to show what policy you violated as well as exactly what you did to violate that policy upon request.

brjuntinaar

Banned
Apr 23, 2018
Is it possible that the hacker changed the email associated with your account, and that is why you didn't get the email? My guess is that you got perma banned due to the hacker's racism ban earlier, just a guess. So if I were you, I'd first make sure that they have the correct email associated with your account, and then I would get in touch and tell them that your email was hacked before, and that the ban is because of that, and that you'd like to be unbanned.

OP
OP
carlos

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
He has 2FA, it's in the first paragraph

It can be circumvented with social engenering

As far as I know, some customer rep deactivated it when the thief called them. That shouldn't have been done, ever.

When I logged in february, I remember seeing that the thief put my account on his PS5, and remember thinking that the guy probably has $$ to be able to have a PS5 while I don't, yet he ends up stealing from me. Lol? :(

Oct 27, 2017
I had my ps3 mysteriously banned for a while despite not using it for years. It eventually ended so hopefully that does for you. Sorry you've got to go thru this. Good luck

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Is it possible that the hacker changed the email associated with your account, and that is why you didn't get the email? My guess is that you got perma banned due to the hacker's racism ban earlier, just a guess. So if I were you, I'd first make sure that they have the correct email associated with your account, and then I would get in touch and tell them that your email was hacked before, and that the ban is because of that, and that you'd like to be unbanned.
It's weird that no emails at all went out to the old email address. Because even changing email address I think sends one to the old address.

OP
OP
carlos

carlos

Oct 25, 2017

Pretty sure it wasn't, since I never got a message saying that 2FA was turned off, and I am still able to change the password on the account, I just can't log in.

I am still in control of the original email that the account was made with in 2006. Said email is my first and last name, so you would think it would be easy to prove to sony that I am the rightful owner of that email/psn account

Oh, and the first ban shouldn't have anything to do with this perma ban, since the account worked fine in february. The guy might've called sony again to try to steal it, and who knows if he went on an expletive filled tirade when he wasn't able to and got it banned.

I'm in the USA region, btw.

Last edited:

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
As far as I know, some customer rep deactivated it when the thief called them. That shouldn't have been done, ever.

When I logged in february, I remember seeing that the thief put my account on his PS5, and remember thinking that the guy probably has $$ to be able to have a PS5 while I don't, yet he ends up stealing from me. Lol? :(
Sony is notoriously terrible with MFA management

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand the secrecy behind bans. If a company is going to permanently ban you from their services they should be required to show what policy you violated as well as exactly what you did to violate that policy upon request.
Yeah, that's always seemed weird to me. Like, what's the harm is saying the reason? I don't get it.

LiS Matt

Jan 19, 2018
Yeah it can be really frustrating to get through to them sometimes. Anyone I had a back and forth with that lasted more than 2 comments each was actually pretty nice, but sometimes - especially with the live chat - you get a "yeah, not my problem, can't help, instant disconnect" , and their go-to move seems to be "contact these people instead"

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
The only explanation I can see is the thing that makes your account banned happened before you reclaimed it but wasn't "judged" yet.
And I wandered if, in that case, e-mail isn't tied to the event too, meaning the one that stole it from you got the e-mail.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
No, my game library is gone, and the ones I have already downloaded on ps3 won't let me play until I log into psn, so no go there either.

I had put 2FA again after the first incident, it wasn't turned off again at any point afterwards.
Pretty sure it would be illegal, at least under EU law, for them to stop you accessing your purchased digital games.

It's one thing banning you from online play etc. But to take away your library? Stories like this make my nervous given I have thousands ÂŁ spent digitally across PS/Xbox/Switch/Steam.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
I had my ps3 mysteriously banned for a while despite not using it for years. It eventually ended so hopefully that does for you. Sorry you've got to go thru this. Good luck

Your PS3 hardware got banned even though you haven't used it? If you didn't mean your PSN account, then that's pretty crazy (although I do understand they can just look up a serial number and ban that way for whatever reason).

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Sounds like you're gonna have to stick with making phone calls and I totally understand how draining that can be after you've already had to deal with it for 2 months.

The control platform holders have over your account/system is one of the scariest things in a situation like this where you're unfairly impacted due to vulnerabilities.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
That sounds absolutely maddening OP, I hope this gets some more attention and you get some answers.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I'd keep phoning them and constantly try to escalate it and not stop until I get a solution.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That sucks! Like someone said here, get it trending.

Problem is it doesn't have to be trending for something like it to be resolved. The quality of support from Sony really is different from one region to another. So far SEA region support sucks!

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty ridiculous that 2FA doesn't even really matter. Sure, it minimizes risk to a degree.. but Sony's own customer service is a huge weakness for both attack and remediation.

I hate that I've been doing digital when I read these things, but I have so so much stuff. Physical just isn't sustainable for me.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty ridiculous that 2FA doesn't even really matter. Sure, it minimizes risk to a degree.. but Sony's own customer service is a huge weakness for both attack and remediation.

I hate that I've been doing digital when I read these things, but I have so so much stuff. Physical just isn't sustainable for me.

2FA's biggest weakness is social engineering and it's even more dangerous with untrained/not properly equipped support staff. Really scary stuff.

OP
OP
carlos

carlos

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on mobile and it's being a pain to reply to each of you, but:
Thanks for your support/understanding
I will keep trying via phone, the problem is actually getting to talk to a real person.
Huh, didn't think about the BBB, thnaks for the advice.
And yeah, waiting for a permaban to end, ain't that a kick in the head.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
don't use the support chat, it's worthless. always better to get on the phone with them.

i forget how i got around the support id thing tho, but it's doable

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying this every time a thread like this comes up, but bans locking you out of your purchased games library is completely unacceptable. Locking you out of online play, online features, future purchases? Sure, fair game. But you always should be able to still play and download the games you bought.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
It's still wild to me that 2FA can be bypassed via social engineering of an employee (and not a customer)...without any apology, accountability, or compensation to the account holder.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on mobile and it's being a pain to reply to each of you, but:
Thanks for your support/understanding
I will keep trying via phone, the problem is actually getting to talk to a real person.
Huh, didn't think about the BBB, thnaks for the advice.
And yeah, waiting for a permaban to end, ain't that a kick in the head.

Depending on your location, you can also utilize resources like state attorney general's office (USA)... and there are federal resources if in the USA. With ISPs I've had success with the FCC jumping in. Perhaps the FTC?

I had an issue where I pre-paid for 3 months of DirecTV's streaming service. When I removed my credit card so I wouldn't accidentally be billed again, they terminated my service and made me forfeit the months I'd paid for. I opened a complaint with the FCC and got an executive response from DirecTV that fixed my issue. I was surprised how well it worked.

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
Ah yes, let me wait until my perma ban is over. 10/10 best support ever

Sony's customer support for PSN accounts was always a joke. It's the one thing they never bothered to improve.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I've always found customer support from all the big three (Nintendo/MS/Sony) to be excellent.

I would bet this can be resolved by stating your case better on the phone. Don't start with "i've been banned"... you technically have not been banned, someone else who stole your account was banned. Change up the wording. I can only assume they have a lot of people who are legitimately banned phoning up to moan about it every day, you have to separate yourself from that pack.

Oghuz

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm saying this every time a thread like this comes up, but bans locking you out of your purchased games library is completely unacceptable. Locking you out of online play, online features, future purchases? Sure, fair game. But you always should be able to still play and download the games you bought.

Yeah that is what I've been wondering as well. Surely you can sue the platform holder in this case?

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Sony support is by far their weakest link and has been since day one. It's maddening to have so much $$$$ tied behind games on an account that could be gone in an instant and get NO help from support.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Losing access to your library sounds like it's a chargeback ban, have you pursued that aspect yet? Could be the thief did a chargeback or you accidentally did while you were locked out.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry this happened to you. Every PlayStation support story I see seems to be right along this vein. It's ridiculous.