• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
Fucking huge if they're finally banned. Industries you wouldn't even expect to have noncompetes have them.

After receiving more than 26,000 public comments, the five members of the Federal Trade Commission are set to vote Tuesday on whether to issue a final rule banning noncompetes, declaring them an unfair method of competition.

In a statement last week, the FTC said the final rule under consideration "would generally prevent most employers from using noncompete clauses." It's not yet clear how the final rule differs from the version first proposed in January 2023.

A noncompete agreement typically blocks a worker from going to work for a competitor or starting up a competing business of their own. The FTC estimates about 30 million people, or one in five American workers, from minimum wage earners to CEOs, are bound by noncompetes.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be a big legal fight over this.

Non-competes are terrible for employees, which means businesses are gonna fight for them tooth and nail.

Last edited:

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Good. Fuck non competes. Still blows my mind a previous employee cab keep you from seeking work after you left their company.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
They're bullshit.

If you want to stall someone joining a competitor you should be paying for gardening leave.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shit needs to die.

My wife's last employer tried to scare her into not leaving with her noncompete. It was messed up how brazen they were. Her new job was completely different, because she was aware of the non-compete lasting a year. But, they tried to claim it was similar enough to be actionable. We literally had their handbook and multiple print outs that said clear as day "this job is not X." And then when she tried to leave to go do X, they claimed it was the same.

Had to go waste $150 to talk to a lawyer who assured us they were just scare tactics and to ignore them. They kept trying to find out where she was going, which the lawyer warned us they would do so they could contact them and scare them into not hiring her. When she wouldn't tell them where she was going, they sent her a letter telling her SHE needs to tell the new employer about her non-compete and warning that they would be keeping tabs on her.

It was all fucking insane.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
I mean I can understand non-competes for some employees with privileged access. Like yeah executives should probably be bound by them. The avg employee though? Nah. I just hope the law makes sense.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I once had a non-compete that was NATIONWIDE for my given profession, something which I went to professional school for and am licensed by my state to perform. It was absolutely insane that my former employer thought they could keep me from working in my field just because I happened to spend a year working for them. They didn't sue me when I left or anything, but it was definitely a concern.

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
I had a noncompete at my first job that based on the mile radius basically said I couldn't work anywhere in New York City if I left the job. It was also a horribly written contract I wouldn't have thought twice to fight it if need be. But not everyone is so lucky.

Kiyamet

Apr 21, 2024
Good. Stipulations like this and ones that allow companies to threaten you with lawsuits if you dare to have ideas while employed with them that you dont inherently relinquish the rights to are obscene.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
Shit needs to die.

My wife's last employer tried to scare her into not leaving with her noncompete. It was messed up how brazen they were. Her new job was completely different, because she was aware of the non-compete lasting a year. But, they tried to claim it was similar enough to be actionable. We literally had their handbook and multiple print outs that said clear as day "this job is not X." And then when she tried to leave to go do X, they claimed it was the same.

Had to go waste $150 to talk to a lawyer who assured us they were just scare tactics and to ignore them. They kept trying to find out where she was going, which the lawyer warned us they would do so they could contact them and scare them into not hiring her. When she wouldn't tell them where she was going, they sent her a letter telling her SHE needs to tell the new employer about her non-compete and warning that they would be keeping tabs on her.

It was all fucking insane.

That's such ridiculous behavior. That $150 on the lawyer doesn't seem to be a waste. Peace of mind with the transition is easily worth that.

Our state has a statutory prohibition against government employees turning around and working for contracted vendors but it is abused all the time. The wording is such that a person leaves, occupies a "consulting" role, and never makes direct contact with the government agency themselves until enough time has passed.

The dumbest part is that the people who it should apply to the most — high level decision makers — are the ones most easily excused out of it.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, I have one in my contract. I can't work for another hospital system and/or pathology group within a 50 mile radius of the one I currently work for. Conveniently just far enough to cover the 3-4 major competitors in the area.

Jubilant Duck

Oct 21, 2022
Good.

I think a certain limited form of non-compete where you can't be actively setting up your own business / providing insider information to an external company makes sense but that's it.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
This also affects wrestling since this has been the main way WWE needs wrestlers from wrestling elsewhere for a number of months.

Laephis

Jun 25, 2021
My company paid me a lot of money to sign a non-compete and it would be hilarious to see that go up in smoke.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
This is fantastic news. This has been such an intimidation tactic in the tech industry for years and years.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
My issue is when they claim you're violating the non-compete for a totally unrelated job just trying to keep talent onboard until they can offboard on their terms.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
So I guess the question now is how quickly can businesses drag this in front of the Supreme Court?

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
Banks and other sales heavy industries are going to shit bricks over this
Funny thing is my VP of technology moved directly from my employer (a bank) to a direct competitor last year and I was shocked that a non-compete didn't block him from moving as he was clearly poached to move over into almost the exact same role.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Noncompete were always a scam. I didn't even know the FTC was looking at this. Awesome news!

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Noncompete has directly hindered many people I know. Myself included. Shit needs to fucking *go*. What a scam.

Vash

Oct 28, 2017
What are the chances of this getting a lawsuit filed first thing in the morning? Probably pretty high, right?

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
health noobs. What does that mean for us? asking for a friend that may be working For two Different health companies at the same time

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
My company has used non-competes to try to screw over every contractor we have ever worked with, and several former employees: shit has to go.

Mattmo831

Featuring Mattmo831 from the Apple v Epic case
Oct 26, 2020
Thats huge. Open's me up for new job opportunities when i get poached lol

atomsk

Oct 28, 2017
pro wrestling bout to get real wild this year

maxresdefault.jpg

5LegTable

Jan 22, 2024
Does the FTC actually have the authority to do this? It's one thing to say it, but what's the legal basis for the FTC being able to do this?

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I see this described I think people are lying, it sounds straight up comically evil. It's almost like saying you have to pay your company for not working there.