• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that they're doing a TTG crossover this early in the show's run also kinda stinks of desperation, like they're afraid the show isn't strong enoug to get viewers interested on the show's own merits and that they need to piggy-back off of something that's already successful.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Of course there has to be an opposing force to any criticism "It's not for you!". Well what exactly is it? It's thunder cats. it's clearly made for somebody who knows what thundercats is right? Otherwise wouldn't it just be something else?
Not necessarily. In this case (and in most cases of cartoon reboots) it's about introducing the IP to new audiences. When we're talking about kids cartoons, then we're talking about introducing it to a new generation of kids and there's not a lot of expectation that they have any idea what the property is beyond maybe hearing the name before. Why not do it with an original property? Because A) this is a dead one they already own that they're trying to revive and if it gets big then they have an easy way to cash in on nostalgia in other ways when the brand has a larger awareness again and B) name recognition is still worth something even from a dead IP.

Don't get me wrong though, targeting it to kids doesn't make it immune to criticism, just certain criticisms (eg judging the show for what it isn't) and if it fails to entertain that audience then it's....well failed. And of course it's perfectly valid to question whether this direction was the right one at all. Maybe Thundercats as an IP makes a lot more sense with a focus on the older fans rather than trying to appeal to very young ones.

Oct 27, 2017
Not necessarily. In this case (and in most cases of cartoon reboots) it's about introducing the IP to new audiences. When we're talking about kids cartoons, then we're talking about introducing it to a new generation of kids and there's not a lot of expectation that they have any idea what the property is beyond maybe hearing the name before. Why not do it with an original property? Because A) this is a dead one they already own that they're trying to revive and if it gets big then they have an easy way to cash in on nostalgia in other ways when the brand has a larger awareness again and B) name recognition is still worth something even from a dead IP.

Don't get me wrong though, targeting it to kids doesn't make it immune to criticism, just certain criticisms (eg judging the show for what it isn't) and if it fails to entertain that audience then it's....well failed. And of course it's perfectly valid to question whether this direction was the right one at all. Maybe Thundercats as an IP makes a lot more sense with a focus on the older fans rather than trying to appeal to very young ones.
It's actually fairly hard coming up with a concept that both appeals to people who want it like the original AND making it relevant again. Underwear wearing human cats crash landing with a child in a man's body as a leader wielding ultimate power trying to take itself seriously just doesn't work anymore and this new show pokes fun at these ideas.

I actually have my own concept that has very neat ideas but it has to ditch the iconic looks a bit but that just doesn't sit well with some of these cry baby fans who bitch and moan or send death threats or make alt-right "soyboy" comments regarding those in charge of the new show or people it appeals to. Fuck them. This new show is fucking awesome and funny and has my kids wanting to watch and play with the toys. I've ordered a second set of savage world Tcats toys for them to play with as well as another Lion-O so both my kids can have one (mine are for display lol).

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Teen Titans Go has made it to success by shitting on themselves AND the old guys yelling at clouds, it's hilarious

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yea man I was a tiny kid when Thundercats was still on the air. I remember it fondly. I have no reason to wish for anything but success for this show, but man, what a wild and opposite way to take the property in a reboot. I gave the first episode a shot and I admit my old ass was jarred at just the opening song. Like what? lol.

Anyways, I think it's a fine cartoon for a new generation of kids, it's just not for me.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's actually fairly hard coming up with a concept that both appeals to people who want it like the original AND making it relevant again. Underwear wearing human cats crash landing with a child in a man's body as a leader wielding ultimate power trying to take itself seriously just doesn't work anymore and this new show pokes fun at these ideas.
For sure agreed and I think that's why we've seen two takes produced on completely different ends of the spectrum.

I actually have my own concept that has very neat ideas but it has to ditch the iconic looks a bit but that just doesn't sit well with some of these cry baby fans who bitch and moan or send death threats or make alt-right "soyboy" comments regarding those in charge of the new show or people it appeals to. Fuck them. This new show is fucking awesome and funny and has my kids wanting to watch and play with the toys. I've ordered a second set of savage world Tcats toys for them to play with as well as another Lion-O so both my kids can have one (mine are for display lol).
Yeah, it's a hard needle to thread with some of these 80's action shows. I think Ninja Turtles is probably the biggest success as far as reintroducing and reinventing itself over the years and staying relevant to multiple generations and even that always goes through it's version of a bizarro "Sonic Cycle". Though I'm not really in to it, I'm glad you and your kids are enjoying it though.

Oct 27, 2017
For sure agreed and I think that's why we've seen two takes produced on completely different ends of the spectrum.

Yeah, it's a hard needle to thread with some of these 80's action shows. I think Ninja Turtles is probably the biggest success as far as reintroducing and reinventing itself over the years and staying relevant to multiple generations and even that always goes through it's version of a bizarro "Sonic Cycle". Though I'm not really in to it, I'm glad you and your kids are enjoying it though.
Don't get me wrong, I get not liking something. It's vitriol I see from some that irks me. I dislike the newer TMNT, but loved the CG show to the point it's my favorite version of the turtles of all time. You don't see me attacking it or its fans. Turtles will always evolve as long as they stay relevant. My hope is for the same with TCats.

Oct 27, 2017
Yea man I was a tiny kid when Thundercats was still on the air. I remember it fondly. I have no reason to wish for anything but success for this show, but man, what a wild and opposite way to take the property in a reboot. I gave the first episode a shot and I admit my old ass was jarred at just the opening song. Like what? lol.

Anyways, I think it's a fine cartoon for a new generation of kids, it's just not for me.
Try the Panthro Plagiarized episode. Or the Legend of Boggy Ben (going on my son's word here lol) episode. These show a bit of the cooler action scenes mixed with its brand of humor. Lion-O's power ballad and "finishing blow" slay me haha.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I grew up with the original show, and while I can say to me it has aged like milk I get the charm.
The 2011 version, even with it's multitude of flaws was better in my opinion though I am actually glad it was cancelled as the grimderp direction the lead guy wanted to take it in felt edgelordy.
This new one though? Who is it for? Kids? There's plenty of much better shows around for kids, like TT:GO if you like the style, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power if you like good cartoons with some brain behind it.
Fans of the old show? Doubtful, really doubtful.
Fans of the 2011 show? Uh, naw.

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up with the original show, and while I can say to me it has aged like milk I get the charm.
The 2011 version, even with it's multitude of flaws was better in my opinion though I am actually glad it was cancelled as the grimderp direction the lead guy wanted to take it in felt edgelordy.
This new one though? Who is it for? Kids? There's plenty of much better shows around for kids, like TT:GO if you like the style, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power if you like good cartoons with some brain behind it.
Fans of the old show? Doubtful, really doubtful.
Fans of the 2011 show? Uh, naw.
It's another attempt. It's taking the original concept of Thundercats, realizing its silliness, and rolling into the Steven Universe, TTGo, Adventure Time mold to better tell the same stories and themes of the original. Old fan and my kids enjoy the show so check "yes" for those.

Best case, creative people/studios take a stab at making a serious attempt at a Netflix series or videogame series as a companion/counter to the new show.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
"there are much better cartoon for kids so why make this one" is the most weird argument ever

Like just because i watched Yu Yu hakusho and Black Kamen Rider does not mean I also didn't watched Shurato, Poitrine and Samurai Troopers

Oct 27, 2017
"there are much better cartoon for kids so why make this one" is the most weird argument ever

Like just because i watched Yu Yu hakusho and Black Kamen Rider does not mean I also didn't watched Shurato, Poitrine and Samurai Troopers
Forgive my strawman but what gets me about fickle fandoms is when they see a fan art gallery of their favorite ip in another ip's or signature art style, you'll see people wishing it were legit or laugh at how great it works like the Thunderbrats/Garbage Pale kids I've previously mentioned or more recently with Simpsons version of the characters I've seen shared on Facebook from the "Save the Thundercats" account.

This is nothing more than a brand trying to fit in with the market to be relevant. True fans need to open their eyes to how dead the series really became when the toys weren't selling and that subscription line died and other sales woes. There is a market as they keep trying but it needs a hit. Wish the cartoon landed more positively. Wish a game and toys could have been produced during the long delay to premiere.

I still want that he-man/thundercats comic realized as a movie or series (or hero fighting game).

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
It's another attempt. It's taking the original concept of Thundercats, realizing its silliness, and rolling into the Steven Universe, TTGo, Adventure Time mold to better tell the same stories and themes of the original. Old fan and my kids enjoy the show so check "yes" for those.

Best case, creative people/studios take a stab at making a serious attempt at a Netflix series or videogame series as a companion/counter to the new show.
I sincerely doubt Thundercats will get a serious version considering CN holds the rights? And uh, CN is kinda dubious.
I'll let my daughter watch the show when it becomes readily available, though she seems to prefer Transformers to anthro things so we'll see.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There was a good revival years ago, but, as one of the animators said, you don't see anyone asking for that back so this new one shouldn't be offensive to you.
I would LOVE if they picked back up on that series. Was such a shame to see it cut like that. Haven't seen a full ep of this new one yet but based on my tastes and previews I've seen I don't think it's for me so I'm probably just going to stay away.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I've seen all the episodes so far and the last one was probably the best but I kind of hate the art style and the same uhhh meme face thing used so damn much while making me think of just how incredibly stupid/immature it is. What's the target age supposed to be? Have children regressed in some way in the last decade? Is it the animation budget cuts that have happened post-Avatar? Chasing the success of other Ips where it's worked and trying to lampoon it with an IP that hasn't been relevant in 30 years? I say that as someone who has enjoyed TTG in small doses outside of the movies, this seems even more immature than that. That said, if there's people that like it that's cool, I'm not so emotionally attached to most shit anymore that I have to throw one of those stupid "ruining my childhood" fits. I've grown to really, really hate that stuff considering how many things there out there that can and have ruined childhoods.

I also liked the 2011 series early on but yeah that went south with the awful love triangle shit and other stuff, the guy in charge hating the Lion-O makes me wonder how the hell he got the job. Wasted potential but I legit barely remember much from it.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
It looks like trash and I'm not watching it. That doesn't mean it IS trash, but it doesn't appeal to me. Most cartoons don't these days, and they haven't for like a decade almost. That's fine. I'm 32 now, and when the art style of most cartoons stopped appealing to me around 2012 or so when Cartoon Network killed all their action series and made a bunch of stuff that looked like Adventure Time. Maybe I've outgrown cartoons. Maybe it's just a trend and one day we'll go back to stuff with visuals I actually like. (Duck Tales looks great, so it's not as if I hate ALL cartoons these days.) Who knows? If the kids enjoy this, then good for them--this can be their Thundercats for their generation.
I'm the same age and only began enjoying cartoons in the last decade. Different strokes.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The fact that they're doing a TTG crossover this early in the show's run also kinda stinks of desperation, like they're afraid the show isn't strong enoug to get viewers interested on the show's own merits and that they need to piggy-back off of something that's already successful.
Not a big TTG guy but I watched the episode. I like the first half and the whole "THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE SHOW EXACTLY HOW WE WANTED IT!" gag but that ending felt like a real self-pat on the back with no sense of nuance.

Also, I didn't notice this originally. It's kinda effed up

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I don't know why toons like TTG and now Roar seem to get such inordinate joy out of pissing all over their own source material.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I don't know why toons like TTG and now Roar seem to get such inordinate joy out of pissing all over their own source material.

Because a bunch of idiots crying over a "Ruined" 20 year old cartoon probably gets tiresome, fast.

TTG didn't start like that, and I it actually hit its stride once it started shitting on the original, and themselves. That's what makes it ironic, just by ignoring it, it would've been likelier for it to fail, but once they capitalized on the attention, the show and its popularity increased.

Last edited:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Not a big TTG guy but I watched the episode. I like the first half and the whole "THEY DIDN'T MAKE THE SHOW EXACTLY HOW WE WANTED IT!" gag but that ending felt like a real self-pat on the back with no sense of nuance.

Also, I didn't notice this originally. It's kinda effed up

One look at the source twitter tells me all I need to know.

Sorry, Double Post

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Have children regressed in some way in the last decade?
I ask myself this a lot. But then again some of the best cartoon shows I've ever seen have come out in the last couple of years. But mostly on Disney Channel/ Disney XD of all places.

Cartoon Network has been having a terrible track record with bringing back it's old IP's. But they've been having amazing success with newer IP's in terms of quality. It keeps bothering me seeing old IP's become marketed, created, and written for essentially babies.

Compare the first season or two of the original Powerpuff Girls compared to the revival show. It's just embarrassing to see, especially when your a fan of the former and your rose tinted glasses are far away in a dumpster.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I love teen titans go, this is still terrible.
Mediocrity on its finest. Im not even that huge of a fan of the original cartoon but if the only thing you are gonna do with the property is insult the original, why even attempt it.

At least TTGo clearly undertands the super heroes comics media to make good fun of it and themselves.

This just seems like the creator got bullied in school by some thundercats fans and this is his revenge.

Oct 27, 2017
This just seems like the creator got bullied in school by some thundercats fans and this is his revenge.

Wtf? I'm loving the riffs on the original thread lines with the original music behind it. It's a bit like Spongebob riffing on classic Batman and Robin with Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. Or hell, Lego Movie/Batman parodying Batman. "They must HATE Batman!" Not sure why people have to say toxic stuff like this.

At the end of the day, after the threats and bullying they dealt with upon reveal, maybe NOW there is a drive to attack the shittier TCats fans. But again, nothing I've seen seems vindictive and is no worse than a Robot Chicken skit tamed for children.

And fuck off with "have children regressed?" because no doubt you folks come from a generation raised on Spongebob. This was said back then but then became a huge phenomenon enjoyed by many demographics. My kids enjoy this and I take that as an insult. The original is fucking boring for a modern kid to sit through and it has nothing to do with focus and attention or regression but because the show never really lives up to its own intro. And Snarf sucks.

None of this is being said because I was bullied by TCats fans, btw. I'm a huge TCats fan with one of the pricey Iron studios statues on pre-order... pray for my wallet.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RebelTaxi has some opinions on the show now that more episodes of it has airead.

In brief, likes the animation during action sequences, not a fan of the hero designs or their personalities, likes the designs of the villains, feels the humor isn't up to scratch of TTG or Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, though is a more enjoyable reboot than The Powerpuff Girls was. That said, why not watch something new and original instead? 2019 had a lot of new originals shows, and 2020 is already off to a good start with the new season of Infinity Train, Kipo Age of the Wonderbeasts or The Owl House instead? Having watch all of those 3, I would agree.

Oct 27, 2017
That said, why not watch something new and original instead? 2019 had a lot of new originals shows, and 2020 is already off to a good start with the new season of Infinity Train, Kipo Age of the Wonderbeasts or The Owl House instead? Having watch all of those 3, I would agree.

Because my kids want to watch and play Thundercats with me, free from any influence or persuasion from me. When I came home with the savage world line of toys. My youngest was interested so we played and I introduced him to both the original and 2011 reboot. Didn't take and I didn't force it. Wave 2 came in and he was interested once again, still didn't hold. Now, though, they're requesting it daily and I've ordered a second set of the whole line to play with. That puts a smile on my face and it's cool how they inquire if certain elements are in the original after I've pointed out some of the callbacks.

I'm not trying to be an abrasive defender of the show. Just a voice as to why someone may like it and who it may be for. I'm sure there's toxicity in other families with grown men swearing it off and not letting their child watch the show because of their own bias and that's a bit disheartening to think about.

For all I know, this show's creator was a fan who made his own silly comic strip featuring his fav characters and TTGO inspired him to take it to the next level and allowed the studio to greenlight it. It's fun. Better than that 90's Hercules-esque pants wearing Lion-O fanart trying to be grim dark for sure.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought the original Thundercats was boring as a kid and I still hate everything about this show I've seen. I still think the character designs are hideous too and it's not because I hate "modern cartoon art" or whatever, Steven Universe looks great.

I feel like She-Ra raised the bar for me when it comes to "lets reboot this silly show from the 80's."

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the original Thundercats was boring as a kid and I still hate everything about this show I've seen. I still think the character designs are hideous too and it's not because I hate "modern cartoon art" or whatever, Steven Universe looks great.

I feel like She-Ra raised the bar for me when it comes to "lets reboot this silly show from the 80's."
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the designs overall. But they work in short bursts I guess.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the designs overall. But they work in short bursts I guess.
I don't want to feed into the 'they changed it and I hate it" but something about the art here bugs me and I feel like if they just tweeked it slightly I'd find it more palatable.

On another tangent while I'm not a fan of 'let's mock fans of the original series" type jokes I can absolutely understand WHY writers would want to do that given how people act online.

Stage on

Oct 25, 2017
All I ask from a reboot is for them to have some actual respect for the ip and be classy. Things like the new Ducktales gets that right. It's different enough to be it's own thing but you can tell how much love they have for the source material. Instead of wasting time making fun of the original for being silly they pay homage to it.

Mocking people for not liking your new spin on things and calling them poop just goes to show the new Thundercats has no class.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I remain convinced that if you used some of the Starr/Bass/Lawrence S1/2 scripts from the original series as a base, you could make a fantastic tcats series. Alas

Also "The Mask of Gorgon" is better than anything from 2011 and Roar. That ep stayed with me these thirty odd years

Oct 27, 2017
Talking with Larry Kenny, Peter Newman and Lynn Lypton at a con and watching interviews, they discuss the behind the scenes and the fun they'd have with their characters and their "squareness" with the character voices. Hearing Kenny as Jaga and that twitter clip being able to do that officially had me going haha.

All I ask from a reboot is for them to have some actual respect for the ip and be classy. Things like the new Ducktales gets that right. It's different enough to be it's own thing but you can tell how much love they have for the source material. Instead of wasting time making fun of the original for being silly they pay homage to it.

Mocking people for not liking your new spin on things and calling them poop just goes to show the new Thundercats has no class.
Reminds me of that TTG episode when the characters get classy to please the fourth wall viewer guy (it's been so long).

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
RebelTaxi has some opinions on the show now that more episodes of it has airead.

In brief, likes the animation during action sequences, not a fan of the hero designs or their personalities, likes the designs of the villains, feels the humor isn't up to scratch of TTG or Rise of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, though is a more enjoyable reboot than The Powerpuff Girls was. That said, why not watch something new and original instead? 2019 had a lot of new originals shows, and 2020 is already off to a good start with the new season of Infinity Train, Kipo Age of the Wonderbeasts or The Owl House instead? Having watch all of those 3, I would agree.

I will echo his positive thoughts on GlitchTechs.

Best Nickelodeon cartoon in a looooong while, just pure fun.

Please watch it, I need that second season...

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
You mean the part about her marrying Lion-O. It's 10 years in the future though and what was the age gap between them?

I dunno but just reading it in text form it seemed to come like right after the timeskip. Maybe if it's spaced out it would've worked better but I just had this cringe moment as I read it (and the 2011 Lion-O isn't a kid trapped in an adult body, right?)

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I dunno but just reading it in text form it seemed to come like right after the timeskip. Maybe if it's spaced out it would've worked better but I just had this cringe moment as I read it (and the 2011 Lion-O isn't a kid trapped in an adult body, right?)

Yeah, he isn't. He's like 17 if I recall. But again it's only after the decade timeskip, so that kinda makes things better maybe? I think?