• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
I'll totally watch it, but who is it for? The number of Thundercats fans who are okay with a goofy take on the franchise in 2020 must be vanishingly small. Newcomers won't get the references, and old ones still resent the cancellation of the awesome reboot from a few years ago and will feel like this is adding insult to injury.

Pretty much.

Dynedom

Nov 1, 2017
I'll totally watch it, but who is it for? The number of Thundercats fans who are okay with a goofy take on the franchise in 2020 must be vanishingly small. Newcomers won't get the references, and old ones still resent the cancellation of the awesome reboot from a few years ago and will feel like this is adding insult to injury.

Uhh not sure about this one. The reboot made every character unlikable outside of the kittens and was written by a Tigra-Stan, whose sole purpose was to hand Lionel L's. In fact, I'm glad this goofy-ass version exists to stick it to that dude knowing his shit will fade into oblivion and potentially be outviewed by a gag comedy.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the superb animation and a couple of early episodes here and there, tcats 2011 was garbage. Just a really badly written show.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Uhh not sure about this one. The reboot made every character unlikable outside of the kittens and was written by a Tigra-Stan, whose sole purpose was to hand Lionel L's. In fact, I'm glad this goofy-ass version exists to stick it to that dude knowing his shit will fade into oblivion and potentially be outviewed by a gag comedy.

Huh. Never heard this take before. I've only ever encountered love for the reboot. Lion-o is infinitely cooler in the reboot than he ever was on the original show. Remember, he looked like a badass, but had the mind of a child less mature than Kit and Kat. He was the viewer's avatar. The other Thundercats were the real draw.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember basically Lionel didn't get Cheetara and ended up with a girl who turned into a giant big?

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't watched it yet, but as much as I'm not crazy about the character designs, I really dig the colors?? There's a quality to the art style I kinda dig, but I'm just so over the wacky post-Adventure Time/Gumball thing.

Reboot the (other) reboot!

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I watched it and no, it's bad and not because it's a reboot, the art, animation, storyboarding and writing are bad, the self-deprecating humor towards the original is bad and there is not a single drop of genuinity or creativeness. There are waaaay better western shows out there.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Eh, the show's pretty bad even on it's own merits. It seems like CN doesn't have much faith in it as well considering how it was released just like that.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, the original thundercats was absolute trash.

I absolutely adored thunder cats as a kid but I was an 80's child and grew up on the likes of Battle of the Planets.

I'm no modern cartoon expert and haven't watched this yet but I know my daughter loves the she-ra reboot, and also adores the multiverse Spider-Man cartoons. It will be interesting to see what she thinks if this.

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it look like the characters are cribbed directly from something like Steven Universe or The Amazing World of Gumball? Is CN just creatively bankrupt regarding animation styles?

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the pilot episodes that came out. It's kind of disorienting because it immediately is trying to set up the status quo of the show and setting up the world and the characters and it's just trying to do too much. And that's a pretty major detriment for a pilot episode. But the humor was enjoyable and I liked the art style. It's very a much a goofy and comedic focused cartoon and that's not a bad thing. I would like to see more now that the setting is established to see what they do with it because I think there's quite of bit of potential and there are clearly talented people working on it.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the original thundercats was absolute trash. I loved it as a kid but he one time I tried to watch it when I was older it was so cringe that even nostalgia didn't save it.

I very much disagree with this. Seasons 1 & 2 of Thundercats was a pretty strong kids cartoon, especially the episodes written by Leonard Starr, Jules Bass & Peter Lawrence. Additionally, the character designs were great (I still absolutely love the Lunatak designs), the music was absolutely fantastic, and the world itself was very well conceived. Sure you'd have episodes that sucked but that's par for the course. I could quite happily go back now and watch episodes like Pumm-Ra, Mask of Gorgon, or the Mumm-Ra Lives five parter.

Seasons 3 & 4 which were made after head writer Leonard Starr had left the show were absolute trash though, with very few decent episodes.

N_Cryo

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
west coast
It isnt good unlike other shows of its kind like teen titans go and ok k.o. It has a bad art style and the writing isn't great either.

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to give the two episodes a watch with my kid siblings. We were all bored until we got to that Mumm-Ra joke. I actually laughed tbh (they played out that gag for so long, it looped around into being actually funny). They seemed more into the show after that but I kinda just zoned out. I know nothing about Thundercats so I had no clue what was going on tbh

Dunno if I'll check out the other episodes by myself, but my sibs totally can't wait to see more. That was pretty surprising tbh

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
So Thundercats was on this morning on cartoon network for its "premiere". I've never watched adventure time but I recognized the art style that everyone has mentioned. The amorphous Blob style of the characters is different for me and definitely lends to the show being ridiculous.

I went in with a narrow mind but it's silly and not that bad. I don't watch a lot of cartoons since we don't have kids but I enjoyed it.

Oct 27, 2017
Love it and I'm a HUGE TCats fan. I've been championing the idea of this since announcement.

My 10 and 5 year old are glued right now. Love hearing the original music.

My only want: "Realistic"/more proportionately accurate action figures in this style.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I wonder will the Tigersharks appear in a future episode.

The last reboot had them so probably?

I'm still waiting for it to grab me. Right now, from what I watched, it's not similar (at all) enough to the old series/characters to make me like it for nostalgia's sake, and my kids couldn't care less about it with no knowledge of the IP at all compared to other shows that are on. Like I basically force them to watch.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
The last reboot had them so probably?

I'm still waiting for it to grab me. Right now, from what I watched, it's not similar (at all) enough to the old series/characters to make me like it for nostalgia's sake, and my kids couldn't care less about it with no knowledge of the IP at all compared to other shows that are on. Like I basically force them to watch.

This show is still a bland version of Teen Titans GO.

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is surprised I like it but I love the ribbing of the original show's/genre's tropes and themes.

When the 2011 series came out and I was buying all the toys, I'd enact scenes on the floor with my wife and son watching and depict Lion-O as this stoic, yet bumbling idiot leader who'd only accidentally save the day and would be ignorant to what he did wrong. This new show plays to that and I fucking love it.

It's fine to not like it. I just hate how hateful the fan base overreacts and the alt-right adjectives used to describe it and the death threats and such. I love the idea of TC being current again. Yes, I wish a serious approach would be taken for a Netflix series, but this is fun too. Doesn't ruin or replace anything. Just reminds everyone.

As for my kids. They request Roar. I tried showing them the original (again) and they don't take to it. It's slow and corny. We adults use our childhood imagination to fill in what we want or expect from the series, but it isn't exactly exhilarating. That Silverhawks cameo was meant to poke fun at that fact lol.

On a side note, can someone make a hero/arena fighter of the He-Man/Thundercats comic please!

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Huh. Never heard this take before. I've only ever encountered love for the reboot. Lion-o is infinitely cooler in the reboot than he ever was on the original show. Remember, he looked like a badass, but had the mind of a child less mature than Kit and Kat. He was the viewer's avatar. The other Thundercats were the real draw.
Old post so I apologize but Lion-O went through A LOT of unnecessary crap in the reboot. Like he lost two love interests and was just abused in any sense the reboot director could find. Meanwhile Tygra not only got the girl that Lion-O liked, but was always shown to be either justified in his jealousy towards Lion-O or the actual leader in the group.

And let's not even mention what they did to Pumyra.

I really wanted a continuation of the reboot, but the director himself I think confirmed that he hated Lion-O so I really wanted him out ASAP.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Old post so I apologize but Lion-O went through A LOT of unnecessary crap in the reboot. Like he lost two love interests and was just abused in any sense the reboot director could find. Meanwhile Tygra not only got the girl that Lion-O liked, but was always shown to be either justified in his jealousy towards Lion-O or the actual leader in the group.

And let's not even mention what they did to Pumyra.

I really wanted a continuation of the reboot, but the director himself I think confirmed that he hated Lion-O so I really wanted him out ASAP.

Oh man, I had no idea about the director. That's hilarious! And being irritated by his stance is also entirely fair. As a kid, I always wanted more Tigra, and wished Lion-o was less immature. I felt like the reboot was smart with the way it played with the source material, but I'd have washed and expected to see Lion-o mature naturally until he was the leader he was always hyped up to be in the original.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
My big complaint was that I absolutely hated the art style and that hasn't changed. I doubt I'll ever get around to seeing it, given the number of cartoons I haven't seen that also dont have art styles that I can't stand.

That said, I could see the story ending up good, even better than the 2011 remake which looked better but was shoddy as hell from a storytelling perspective.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
My big complaint was that I absolutely hated the art style and that hasn't changed. I doubt I'll ever get around to seeing it, given the number of cartoons I haven't seen that also dont have art styles that I can't stand.

That said, I could see the story ending up good, even better than the 2011 remake which looked better but was shoddy as hell from a storytelling perspective.

I watched a few eps of it, it's just a simple comedy for kids. Only got a couple of laughs from me over the 4 eps I watched, but then I'm not the target audience. Dunno how it's doing with kids, I guess we'll find out if it gets a second season

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
I watched a few eps of it, it's just a simple comedy for kids. Only got a couple of laughs from me over the 4 eps I watched, but then I'm not the target audience. Dunno how it's doing with kids, I guess we'll find out if it gets a second season

When I was a substitute teacher teaching a class of Grade 3 kids, whenever the class does a great job with their assignments, at the end of the day I reward them with a small reward of their choice (a round or two of dodge-ball, playing board games, etc.) The kids agreed that they wanted to watch some cartoons and they wanted to watch Thundercats Roar, as that was the new hotness. After 6 minutes had passed with the first episode, they were bored out of their minds and begged me to swap to something else.

So that's troubling that the show you made for it's target audience think it's the pits.

Oct 27, 2017
Yo, this new Panthro Plagiarized episode is pretty nuts. Great action and Thanos-like shenanigans.

Love this show. People scoffing at the art or humor are missing out.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Yo, this new Panthro Plagiarized episode is pretty nuts. Great action and Thanos-like shenanigans.

Love this show. People scoffing at the art or humor are missing out.

I watched a lot of the eps. The art sucks. The animation is superb. The humour is hit and miss and far more miss.
I do not feel people are missing out.

Didn't it was canceled already?

No, it just wasn't heavily publicised after the initial reaction

Oct 27, 2017
I watched a lot of the eps. The art sucks. The animation is superb. The humour is hit and miss and far more miss.
I do not feel people are missing out.

No, it just wasn'y heavily publicised after the initial reaction
I feel I'm able to appreciate a new take that jabs at the show's tropes. Just as fans were excited for Garbage Pail kids or Simpsons versions of the characters or can laugh at a Robot Chicken segment, so too can I appreciate this take. I love the other incarnations and look forward to a more serious take. Nothing wrong with this version at all. I laugh with it and my kids so much.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I feel I'm able to appreciate a new take that jabs at the show's tropes. Just as fans were excited for Garbage Pail kids or Simpsons versions of the characters or can laugh at a Robot Chicken segment, so too can I appreciate this take. I love the other incarnations and look forward to a more serious take. Nothing wrong with this version at all. I laugh with it and my kids so much.

I loved Transformers Animated & Teen Titans, I can quite happily sit and watch Teen Titans Go as well, I've no issue with lighter takes. Thundercats Roar is just not very good to me, and neither is the humour.

It's probably still better than tcats 2011, I'll give it that, but that's hardly high praise

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
It begs the question, what's the point? Designed by committee. Kids love the hilarious art style! So wacky!

Of course there has to be an opposing force to any criticism "It's not for you!". Well what exactly is it? It's thunder cats. it's clearly made for somebody who knows what thundercats is right? Otherwise wouldn't it just be something else?

Whatever it is, it looks pretty bad. So i can happily ignore it.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Never even knew it was out, but I haven't had cable in years. Is it on any streaming services?