• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which one are you getting?

• Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled

Votes: 183 49.9%
  • Team Sonic Racing

Votes: 112 30.5%
  • Both

Votes: 72 19.6%

• Total voters

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
CTR. The original is in my top 10 of all time and this new one even has levels from a game i never played. Sonic racing looks boring and i don't care for any of the charachters except for Sonic, Tails and Knucles. "Transformed" is an amazing game by Sumo but this one looks like a huge step down. Will buy it on sale some day maybe.

Oct 27, 2017
Crash.

Best Kart racing game ever. Also Sonic removed the cool Sega characters so we are stuck with only Sonic's friends (who are the worst part about Sonic these days).

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Think I'll grab these for Switch from GameFly before I plunk down the bucks. Crash looks bonkers but I'm not sure about 30fps in a post-Mario Kart 8 world.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Isn't it just a unconfirmed rumor?
Looked it up, the source in that thread had an update
UPDATE: So we talked a little further with the team and it appears there was some miscommunication at the event. The game will run at 30 frames per second across the board on all platforms, including Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. That said, though, it does look quite good in this state, so it shouldn't affect the game's performance in the least.
So 30 fps it is.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sonic. Crash characters look terrible and the differences elsewhere aren't persuasive.

Can't have a kart racer when the drivers are literal nobodies with weak designs. Grew up playing Sonic and Crash but this is an easy choice.

Apr 21, 2018
You're not crazy, I've made this thread before. I'm remaking it because back then we didn't have much info for both titles, here's a quick summary of what we've learned:

Crash Team Racing:
  • As of right now, there's 31 confirmed tracks.
  • The game has two adventure modes, a "classic", 1:1 remake of the original and a "Nitro Fueled" mode with presumably the NK tracks.
  • Car customization is mostly cosmetic
  • 30FPS
  • Battle mode
  • Split-screen up to 4 players
Team Sonic Racing:
  • 21 confirmed tracks
  • Over 130 songs
  • Adventure mode
  • Single and Team races
  • Custom Teams (for example, 3 Knuckles) are supported.
  • Full car customization
  • 60FPS (Framerate for the Switch version unconfirmed)
Previous poll
80/20 for Crash
Current poll
45/33

I vote Sonic All Transformed 2 for PS5 Scorpio PC.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Sonic. Crash characters look terrible and the differences elsewhere aren't persuasive.

Can't have a kart racer when the drivers are literal nobodies with weak designs. Grew up playing Sonic and Crash but this is an easy choice.
I mean, Pura, Polar and Penta might not be the holy grail of design, they're quite generic, but you also have super memorable characters like Dingodile, Tiny or N.Gin.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Team Sonic Racing, especially now because of the improvements. As for Crash, it's not a franchise that I've ever cared about, and CTR isn't on the PC anyway.

May 5, 2018

I mean, I played Sonic games when I was younger and never touched a Crash game. However I can say with confidence that I find certain Crash character designs better than some of Sonic's designs. Give me the Polar Bear cub and Pinstripe Potoroo any day over Rouge the Bat and freaking Zarvok.

As far as which one, probably both at some point. Never played CTR is it would be cool to play it on modern systems. TSR was totally off my radar but Sumo seems to have polished up the game greatly as they delayed it.

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
Team Sonic Racing, easily. Saying that as a huge Crash fan too (more so than Sonic).

30fps for CTR is inexcusable. Will wait for a PC version.

Manwell

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I had no idea Crash was 30fps. That's absolutely unnacceptable for a kart racing game, especially on xb1 and ps4 cmon...

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't like Sonic racing games because they're basically just car racing. What makes CTR special for me is the karts.

Another vote for Crash Team Racing.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
But you guys didn't say anything about 30fps two decades ago on ancient systems during the infancy of 3D!

I actually don't have an answer. Sonic is looking better than before, but I still don't like the Sonic-only theme (I don't even know which character I'd pick up). And Crash, it'll be jarring to go from the likes of MK7 on 3DS to a 30fps racing game. I honestly don't know.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
CTR has
Ripper Roo
NTrance

Sonic has
...Blaze

Holy smokes, N. Trance has stans?!

Can't have a kart racer when the drivers are literal nobodies with weak designs.

latest

EssCee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As disappointed as I am in CTR not being 60fps, I'll still be purchasing.

That was one of the best kart racers ever made, with an incredible single player campaign (at the time). Still holding out hope the developer unfucks up and adds in a less graphically intensive 60fps mode

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
There's no need to argue about which series has the ugliest anthropomorphic animals, to be honest. I only like Polar, both games combined, lol.

It really makes me miss other Sega characters :(

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
CTR is an objectively better version of the original & also Nitro Kart. TSR is S&SASRT without the "SAS" nor "T." And then they added Zavok.

Also, only one of these games has Pinstripe in it.

tumblr_osh483UdNO1r7sijxo1_400.gif

Easiest decision of my life.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
But you guys didn't say anything about 30fps two decades ago on ancient systems during the infancy of 3D!

I actually don't have an answer. Sonic is looking better than before, but I still don't like the Sonic-only theme (I don't even know which character I'd pick up). And Crash, it'll be jarring to go from the likes of MK7 on 3DS to a 30fps racing game. I honestly don't know.
I wasn't alive then.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
It's maybe a little unfair since CTR is kind of a known quantity, but easily that. I really liked Transformed but I really haven't loved what we've seen of TSR so far.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
It's maybe a little unfair since CTR is kind of a known quantity, but easily that. I really liked Transformed but I really haven't loved what we've seen of TSR so far.

I think that's what makes this a fair comparison. We know what the engine is for TSR, & we know what the stages/characters/items are for CTR. Barring how they changed the Nitro Kart levels & any extras they might be bringing in (I'm still pulling for Tawna, Koala Kong, Nina Cortex, Baby T., & Spyro being playable).

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017

Haha I knew people would take offence! Anyway, some Crash characters are okay but even when I was 12 and Crash was introduced I just thought he was lame. I'd lived through the 16 bit era so I had a handle on the assorted platformer characters, and he was bottom of the barrell material.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
Haha I knew people would take offence! Anyway, some Crash characters are okay but even when I was 12 and Crash was introduced I just thought he was lame. I'd lived through the 16 bit era so I had a handle on the assorted platformer characters, and he was bottom of the barrell material.

Ha! That's totally fair. So long as we're not dissing Pinstripe here.

tumblr_otxbxrplKQ1w6gvcno1_400.gif

... Why yes, I did have a collection of Pinstripe .GIF's prepared for this thread, why do you ask?

Mr.fresh

Oct 31, 2017
I like sonic and all but no interest in his kart racing games, so crash all the way. CTR was one of the games I played the shit out of as as kid!

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
Definitely Sonic as I have no attachment to Crash whatsoever and I'll be able to recognize references in TSR.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Crash easily. Since I consider the original the best kart racer ever made, sonic losing SEGA characters has me disinterested.

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Sonic, unless it's not 60 FPS on Switch, then neither. I'd rather just play MK8 for the rest of eternity in that case. I do think the team mechanic in Sonic is neat though.

Zubz

Oct 25, 2017
no
yo can I get this pinstripe gif folder in a zip please

Ok, but I'm running out of Pinstripe .GIF's & probably shouldn't post the one that's just fanart of Crash bloodily getting shot by a Tommy gun repeatedly.

tumblr_ni4tq2RUUk1tdi5r3o4_500.gif

... I think that's all the Pinstripe .GIF's on the Internet barring that fanart, honestly.

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting both, but there's one thing confirmed for Team Sonic Racing that hasn't for Crash: combined split screen with online multiplayer.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Both games look great. I'm seeing more hype for Crash though. As for myself, I would choose Team Sonic if asked.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Team Sonic Racing looks pretty good to me, might surpass mario kart 8, probably not, but I just saw some gameplay footage and it looks great

I kinda wished they made a new Sonic Riders though