• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one was the best?

• Ps3 UI

• PS4 ui

• PS5 ui

• PS2 UI????????? Wtf?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
They have this feature called "accolades". You get one when a player sends you one.

Great.

So today I got one. From who? Oh, it was a player I was just playing with in returnal. I didn't catch their name. Easy remedy, I'll just go to "played together" right? Because this should show a list of players you've played with right? Ok where is it..? Under a icon called "game base" (which makes no sense, but ok). I go there, and look at "played together". Ez right?

Wrong.

This shit is showing a whoping 3 people from days ago I played with in god knows what game that was because it doesn't list the game either. But I can tell from the dates that wasn't the person I was playing with. Great.

Hmmm... What to do, vex. Think! There must be a way to salvage this. Oh! I know, the accolade that popped up was a "notification". Maybe if I go to the notification icon, it will show me who gave me the accolade.

Clicks on notifications
Yes! It says "you have received XXXX accolade". It's still there!
I click on it. It takes me to a screen that explains what accolades are. Great. Ok who gave it to meeeee annndddd nothing. There's no way to tell. It leads to no where.

You see... When I received the accolade, I wanted to return the favor, but I quickly exited out of the pop-up by mistake after an online session in coop. So now I CAN NEVER FIND THIS INFORMATION EVER AGAIN. EVER. It's lost to time.

EDIT: AND GUESS WHAT, THE NOTIFICATION AUTO-EARASES ITSELF. SO THERE'S NO TRACE OF IT IN YOUR HISTORY. You can't make this up.

Again: Why isn't played together working PROPERLY STILL AFTER DECADES of this (it used to be "players met" on the old Sony consoles and it didn't work 100% there either). Again: It's great that you show I got an accolade, but why not at least tell me WHO, and WHAT GAME I got it for?!? It's 2022. We have the technology. I promise.

Fuck!!!

Last edited:

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
They had this shit right with the PS3 for the most part and then they fucked it up moving forward and it's just gotten worse.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The accolades are the friends we made along the way.

I still have no clue how that part of the system works.

Oct 30, 2017
I've never heard of accolades.

Sorry this feature doesn't really work. But my experience with the PS5 UX centers around a lot of other things. Most of it works pretty well.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Xbox isn't doing that much better either on that front.

Those consoles are feature-packed so, while criticism is always warranted, it's unfortunately kind of expected that the UX will be ... let's just say imperfect.

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't what you're really talking about, but do only certain games support Accolades? I've never gotten one and I've also never sent one.

EDIT: And I've definitely noticed the "recently played with" list is definitely incorrect. Even the Switch gets that right!

TheStebe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
London
I have absolutley no need for this feature but even so how to access said feature is an accolade in itself

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I still have no clue how that part of the system works.
And you won't because the UX/UI is garbage and doesn't do a good job of having an intuitive layout.

Nothing makes sense on it. Like honestly someone explain to me why that icon is named "game base". Go ahead. Because to me that sounds like that's where YOUR LIBRARY should be... Wtf?

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
One thing that's really bummed me out going from ps4 to ps5 is the lack of update history for ps5 titles. Ps4 games installed on a ps5 still have the option but there's nothing for ps5 games themselves. Of course one can just google patch notes for games but that shortcut through the interface was really convenient IMO.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
They have this feature called "accolades". You get one when a player sends you one.

Great.

So today I got one. From who? Oh, it was a player I was just playing with in returnal. I didn't catch their name. Easy remedy, I'll just go to "played together" right? Because this should show a list of players you've played with right? Ok where is it..? Under a icon called "game base" (which makes no sense, but ok). I go there, and look at "played together". Ez right?

Wrong.

This shit is showing a whoping 3 people from days ago I played with in god knows what game that was because it doesn't list the game either. But I can tell from the dates that wasn't the person I was playing with. Great.

Hmmm... What to do, vex. Think! There must be a way to salvage this. Oh! I know, the accolade that popped up was a "notification". Maybe if I go to the notification icon, it will show me who gave me the accolade.

Clicks on notifications
Yes! It says "you have received XXXX accolade". It's still there!
I click on it. It takes me to a screen that explains what accolades are. Great. Ok who gave it to meeeee annndddd nothing. There's no way to tell. It leads to no where.

You see... When I received the accolade, I wanted to return the favor, but I quickly exited out of the pop-up by mistake after an online session in coop. So now I CAN NEVER FIND THIS INFORMATION EVER AGAIN. EVER. It's lost to time.

EDIT: AND GUESS WHAT, THE NOTIFICATION AUTO-EARASES ITSELF. SO THERE'S NO TRACE OF IT KyN YOUR HISTORY. You can't make this up.

Again: Why isn't played together working PROPERLY STILL AFTER DECADES of this (it used to be "players met" on the old Sony consoles and it didn't work 100% there either). Again: It's great that you show I got an accolade, but why not at least tell me WHO, and WHAT GAME I got it for?!? It's 2022. We have the technology. I promise.

Fuck!!!
There is a possibility that the person has privacy settings a certain way.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea this feature existed.
Yea so far only returnal uses it afaik? Who knows? Because— and this is another issue I have with sony's user experience — nothing is universal guaranteed! Some games support this, some games only support that. It's a fucking mess.

Judging by this thread, this feature could quietly be removed and no one would notice lol. That's actually hilarious.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I remember having trouble finding a recent player I played Granblue Vs. with to send a "GG" message since it wasn't clear.
Had to google "How to see recent players" to find them. It's an aspect that's definitely resulting in WAY fewer player using the "accolades" for other players I would wager.

All of the systems seem to have some blindspots usability wise

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
Here's the real secret, all the UX are terrible and you just get used to the one that you use the most.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Yea so far only returnal uses it afaik? Who knows? Because— and this is another issue I have with sony's user experience — nothing is universal guaranteed! Some games support this, some games only support that. It's a fucking mess.

Judging by this thread, this feature could quietly be removed and no one would notice lol. That's actually hilarious.
Is that on Sony or developers of the games? Sony can't force developers to take advantage of a system that is only on their platform.

I'm actually surprised how uneven the UX for PS5 has been considering the UX for the PS4 was great in my opinion, it was simple and got the job done. The UX for PS3 was good but I think it could overwhelm a lot of people.

I just don't think there is a good UX on any console is that great right now. I can't stand the UI of the Xbox and Nintendo's is just so bare and limited.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
About UX, who thought that hiding things behind the triple dot submenu was a good idea? Makes searching difficult. I remember not being able to find the single player GTA 5 at all because the online game was all the would show up. Turns out it's hidden behind that menu under the online game. Also had the issue of not understanding how to play the Ninja Gaiden collection games initially because of this. They also hide the FF 7 Remake PS4 -> PS5 upgrade behind this menu.

Speaking of FF 7, I went to do the upgrade again just to switch from using my physical disc to the PS Plus version (which meant I had to contact customer support for help) and ran into this:

mAtXaES.jpg

One was for the disc upgrade, the other is for PS Plus. Pick the wrong item and I guess you're back to contacting customer support again lol.

OP
OP
Vex

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Sony

From how you describe it, I am surprised that you were able to see who it was in the first place.
I wasn't able to see it but it was obvious who it was since the side bar pops up after you end a session in returnal. It asks you do you want to give an accolade.

My problem is, if you CLOSE that menu on accident, you can never find this information again (players met). Players met is busted. ACROSS ALL GAMES.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
I think Microsoft and Sony seem to be making things worse in this area over time not better.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
One thing that amuses me on PS5 is that when you look at a game in the PS Store, it sometimes has a little avatar and the phrase "8 other friends play this".

But you can't see any of the names.

A lot of my PSN friends are randos I barely talk to but friended due to a specific online interaction once upon a time. Sometimes I am genuinely curious which of my friends may have played a given game, and I'll even ping them to ask how they liked it. But I can't do that on PS5!

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's kind of the point, Accolades should be anonymous because it just creates an economy of Accolade trading or an expectation of reciprocation. Usually it's easy enough to figure out who gave you one in a 2 player game but for bigger MP games the anonymity is the point.

Also I think you can only give an accolade through the in-game menu, not later or outside the game. And "players met" isn't busted, it's a per-game thing where not all games support it, it makes sense that Returnal might not have it since it was single-player only for the first year

pete_clarf

Oct 25, 2017
One thing that amuses me on PS5 is that when you look at a game in the PS Store, it sometimes has a little avatar and the phrase "8 other friends play this".

But you can't see any of the names.

A lot of my PSN friends are randos I barely talk to but friended due to a specific online interaction once upon a time. Sometimes I am genuinely curious which of my friends may have played a given game, and I'll even ping them to ask how they liked it. But I can't do that on PS5!

This exact thing has bugged the hell out of me too! I still click on the box it's in every single time just in case they've allowed you to see who it is. They never have. They never will.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It gets worse every console generation, ps5 is my most hated console to "use" (not talking about games) its just terrible having to do anything with friends or shut off or navigate through anything

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
None of the platform holders do, really. At least Microsoft has recognized that it should be an iterative approach and not throw everything out every new console just because people are distracted by new and shiny (and less functional)

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
The PS5 UI in general is half baked and terrible imo. Full of unnecessary junk, messy and a step down from the PS4. At least it's snappier I guess.

mudron

Feb 13, 2020
It's been a year-and-a-half and I still find myself holding down the PS button on my PS5 controller to turn off the power but no dice.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This seems like a whole lot of hubbub about nothing. The PS5 UI is perfect, but it's been more than solid in my experience.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I was watching Jeff Gerstmann's video playing the new PS Plus Premium games the other day, and the interface problems are downright shocking. There is seemingly zero thought put into how a human would navigate and find games.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
they design them visually instead of structurally. only thinking of a couple use cases and then needing to implement several others and thats when things typically go to shit. just be glad you don't have to drive a cursor around on the main screen using an analog stick to click on things.

EDIT: since there's a poll I'll add some thoughts on the different generation experiences.
PS5 - I like how well the app works with it, the media page, visually how it looks, and that you can pin games so things don't get cluttered. for the love of god though can we remove the discover page?
PS4 - I like the folders and how easy it is to turn off the console (up, hold right, x + x) can do it without needing my monitor or TV on.
PS3 - it was simple and just fucking worked. doesn't look the best and with the rise of digital games getting to a game sucked but navigating it made sense.

Last edited:

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017

The feature is available but not mandated, which is... the way it should be, IMO. Aside from general game accessibility/usability features, extra features like this should not be mandated, else we have another "leaderboards" situation like with the 360 with games that had no business having online functions.
Here's the real secret, all the UX are terrible and you just get used to the one that you use the most.
This! Most UI are awful only because you're used to something else and/or they're not labeled as you would expect them to be. Some people have ideas that a feature should be under one header when others think it belongs in another. I'm sure after decades (literal decades!) of using GIMP, navigating Photoshop again would drive me insane.
Modern console UIs are TRASH. Bring back XMB and the blades!
Also this. XMB was so great and I finally retired my last non-PS3 XMB device a few months ago (a BD player). It's such a simple, useful menu that just makes sense (aside from points I mention above) and is rather quick.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest I really don't use anything beyond the most basic features of the system software and I've found it fine. Fast to move around, looks nice. I am surprised they haven't added more since launch though (really want themes).

Oct 30, 2017
^^^^

PS3 UI was sooooooo good.
I don't see what's so great about long vertical lists of content.

The PS5 UI works nicely by giving the player a lot of functionality while also keeping much of the game screen free.
A tap of the PS button opens up a lot of system functionality that brings up small-medium menus.

The PS3 XMB overlay basically took up the whole screen and I just don't find that preferable to have a blurred game screen in the background. I really don't see how that's preferable.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Where's the Vita option. All of the consoles have been shit. XMB was okay. They should have kept iterating on it.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a steady decline from PS3 to PS5.

PS5's newest "improvement" compared to PS4: not showing any patch notes after patches.

Jul 1, 2020
The PS5 UI is god awful which is part of the reason I barely use mine. People do use this against Xbox but I think reusing the same UI from Xbox One on Series S|X was a good idea because at least you know how to use it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's less about understanding "good UX", but the fact that the OS for these machines launched hot and different things get prioritised that way, and that remains as future updates are pushed out based on feedback.

I don't see what's so great about long vertical lists of content.

The PS5 UI works nicely by giving the player a lot of functionality while also keeping much of the game screen free.
A tap of the PS button opens up a lot of system functionality that brings up small-medium menus.

The PS3 XMB overlay basically took up the whole screen and I just don't find that preferable to have a blurred game screen in the background. I really don't see how that's preferable.
Agreed. the only vertical lists I want are for trophies and thankfully they remedied that.