Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Sleeping later, not wearing pants, lighting how you like it, music, flexibility for lunch and errands, occasional workday snuggle break…

vs.

Driving to an office and sitting in an office.

Are you kidding?

Come on.

GG-Duo

Oct 27, 2017
We have this thread every other month.

Some people have non-ideal working environments at home and would like a hybrid approach.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I teach elementary school technology, I legitimately preferred the brief time that we were completely virtual because being able to mute everyone was a godsend and being tech, we're on computers anyway. I definitely don't share that opinion with my colleagues though, they abhorred virtual teaching. I legimitely wouldn't mind seeking a virtual school position later down the road.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed all the things you listed but I really missed people and I hated how my work was always just a few steps away from me. I never felt fully disengaged from work for the whole time I was WFH. I've been back since July and I'm preferring it for the most part.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I respect your opinions, dude, but I'm really tired of people telling me I'm "crazy" for liking my coworkers and wanting to get out of the house, even if in jest.

Last edited:

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I agree, you have to be insane to slum it out in an office.

Even hybrid I'm hating the office and all the bullshit that goes on there.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
I'm respect your opinions, dude, but I'm really tired of people telling me I'm "crazy" for liking my coworkers and wanting to get out of the house, even if in jest.

Pretty much this. I'd most likely becoming incredibly depressed if I woke up, walked to a different room for work, interacted with no one through the day, and then went to bed.

I go to work because I love my co-workers. So much so I'm just about to quit my current job as they've forbidden me and others from interacting with any coworkers outside of work.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather be in the office five days per week. And I am. I love my coworkers. I like to get out of the house. I like getting dressed. I like in-person collaboration and problem solving. I like the various office perks.

AlexMeloche

Oct 27, 2017
I had to work in my kitchen because I'm too poor to have a home office, while being 100% alone.

Is it really that hard to comprehend that some people would prefer going to a workspace with colleagues?

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I feel like one thing that isn't accounted for when talking about going back to work is that in person work at a responsible company will be a much different experience than before. Masks, social distancing, different break room policies, etc. In person work at this point seems like a nightmare.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Hybrid is the future. People want convenience and comfort. I'm fine going in to the office once or twice a week, but also don't want to be forced to do so.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Love going to work. Love interacting with people. Love in-person conversation and collaboration.

Honestly feel blessed and lucky to not have "work" attached to the place I like to reserve for my peace.

Different strokes, different folks, you know?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I like the hybrid approach because of changing my environment and actually leaving my apartment during the week.

Wiseblade

Oct 26, 2017
I dread the feeling of being unable to escape work and value the separation of home and office. I can totally see hating the commut and everything associated with leaving the house, but I need the distinction.

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Or people just have a different viewpoint to you? As others have said, not everyone has the space or resources to effectively work from home, or they just like being amongst other people. But sure they're "crazy" for that.

The whole point is choice, so that people can decide what works best for them.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
I have ADHD, working at home is not a great environment for me as there are alot of distractions that can make it harder to focus on the job at hand. The office is a much better environment for me to be in the right mindset for work and be much more productive.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
I'm a single man living alone who has tons of intriguing things to do at home and thus I love working from home, but I kinda understand why (especially older) people with families in my job have liked being back in the office. For a lot of them it's the only time they ever see other people than their family members and get to spend some alone time in offices and commutes.

Oct 27, 2017
I have ADHD, working at home is not a great environment for me as there are alot of distractions that can make it harder to focus on the job at hand. The office is a much better environment for me to be in the right mindset for work and be much more productive.
Wrapping up my senior year at college but this is very much a thing for me as well. I'm a machine in the classroom/library, and a hopeless inefficient mess in my room. That and I just like being with people.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm the kind of person at work that others will reach out to frequently for help and questions. I already get enough interactions through chat and video calls

WFH 10,000%

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I prefer Hybrid. While I like everything OP stated about work from home, in the office helps me stay more focus on the task as there's less distractions around.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's insane. Not looking forward to going back, currently pegged for January.

Thing I'm gonna miss the most is mornings... Me and my kid sleep in till 730/8, she watches 15mins of cartoons or flips thru a book will I wash up and get dressed, then we do her routine, then eat breakfast, out the door to daycare for 845, me back to work on my computer for 9 or so and ready for the day.

Versus... Me getting up at 620 hoping she sleeps in, only to rush to get her ready in 20min and out the door to drop her off for 730 to sit in traffic for an hour hoping I make it for 845/9. Just sucks.

Same with bed time. I've picked up my daughter every day for the last year or so, nice routine she gets so excited to see me, pick her up at 430/5. Instead... Most nights I'll be sitting in traffic till 630 with barely enough time to get home to see her before bedtime... Let alone eating dinner together, and my wife will be in a bad mood because she's been doing parental duty alone for 90mins.

Sucks.

I think If you're young and single the incentives to go into the office are really good. It'll be good for your career , face time with the upper management will be very good and the social life around work will help you move up faster than someone who is remote and not going to social events or beers after work.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
If I could cut my commute in half or eliminate it outright, I'd enjoy going into the office a lot more.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Lol our office went "hybrid" last month and five people have already left/are going to other companies for fully remote work. No going back once the can of worms is open imo.

Thing I'm gonna miss the most is mornings... Me and my kid sleep in till 730/8, she watches 15mins of cartoons or flips thru a book will I wash up and get dressed, then we do her routine, then eat breakfast, out the door to daycare for 845, me back to work on my computer for 9 or so and ready for the day.

Versus... Me getting up at 620 hoping she sleeps in, only to rush to get her ready in 20min and out the door to drop her off for 730 to sit in traffic for an hour hoping I make it for 845/9. Just sucks.

Same with bed time. I've picked up my daughter every day for the last year or so, nice routine she gets so excited to see me, pick her up at 430/5. Instead... Most nights I'll be sitting in traffic till 630 with barely enough time to get home to see her before bedtime... Let alone eating dinner together, and my wife will be in a bad mood because she's been doing parental duty alone for 90mins.

Sucks.

This breaks my heart and is a prime example of why "work" isn't the point of life. My dad worked six days a week the entire time I knew him and I distinctly remember him missing breakfast and dinner on certain days, and now that he's gone I hate that I didn't get those moments all because he had to constantly work just to "live".

Last edited:

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the hybrid approach because of changing my environment and actually leaving my apartment during the week.

Same. Having the hybrid approach at the start of the pandemic was the best for me. One week in the office, one week out of the office, rotating with my co-workers.

Then the pandemic hit in full and I moved to a permanent telework position.

Juan

Oct 28, 2017
I've been remote working for the past 6 years as a Product Designer, and I could never go back fully working in an office:

- I wake up at 10am if not latter whenever I want
- I take my time to take my breakfast while doing morning meetings when needed
- I wear a bathrobe at my place and feel really confortable working like this
- I take break whenever I want to
- I go to the office only to be social and have fun with colleagues
- I could travel with friends and family whenever I wanted to

In France, I was like the very first Product Designer working remotely within a company, and I'm glad a lot more people can now enjoy this freedom. I'm also very aware of the luck I have, and we have, to be able to do our work remotely, it's not affordable for every kind of job.

And I do respect the people who need to be at the office. Remote working can bring a feeling of loneliness and some people can't handle that.

I think all companies should allow both type of work, having offices but allowing the employees to work at home without having to make a big calendar for this.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I've been going back to the office. I actually like it. Nobody is forcing me to. I go a few times a week. Sometimes I go in everyday, sometimes I work the whole week from home. I don't have to be there at any certain time, I can miss all the traffic. I am lucky though, my employer is being flexible and forward thinking about this. I do like seeing and talking with my co-workers that happen to come in when I am in. I do like getting out of the house. It's a great system we got going.

Samenamenick

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Manchester, NH
I need to interact. In person. It's torturous otherwise. My saddest moments in life were when I was alone. Being around others is happiness fuel for me, professionally or otherwise.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Back when I lived in an apartment trying to work from home would've been a nightmare for me. There becomes a fine line between working from home and living at work, and when there's no physical separation between the two it can get bad.

Hell, I'm an introvert and I like spending time with my coworkers. I worry about the places some of you work at.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm respect your opinions, dude, but I'm really tired of people telling me I'm "crazy" for liking my coworkers and wanting to get out of the house, even if in jest.

same. got a feeling they are going to find a pretty severe increase in cases of depression from the self isolation of not going to the office and seeing other ppl. For many ppl that's their only way they are exposed to others and I think many are experiencing severe loneliness right now.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Phone and video calls are nowhere near as good as being able to talk to colleagues in person for complicated tasks and learning new things. Appreciate that not everyone's job is simple to do working from home.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
That's fine that some of you need to see other people, just don't drag us all back with you. That's all we are asking for.

let the people who all want to go in go in, let the rest of us stay at home.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
honestly I like a hybrid approach for my tastes prob only because I live hella close to work lol.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I like a hybrid, go in the office when I need/feel like it, stay at home when I don't. I hate this all one or the other stuff.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
That's fine that some of you need to see other people, just don't drag us all back with you. That's all we are asking for.

... Ok?

I just don't understand why some are insisting on making the language surrounding this topic so antagonistic.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This so hard. Some of us have friends that aren't related to work at all so going into the office is 100% pointless for a social aspect, and 110% pointless from a job requirement standpoint. Obviously depends on the type of job in which a hybrid or fully remote situation could even work, but still. Now let's work on normalizing the 4-day workweek (32 hours not 40).

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We have this thread every other month.

Some people have non-ideal working environments at home and would like a hybrid approach.

This.

I work at work. I'm home at home. I don't like mixing the two. I don't like feeling like I have to work while at home. When I leave the office, I can stop thinking about work and focus on other things. Also, I have pets at home that make it terrible for productivity.

I don't care what you do. None of us do. That's on your boss, not the people who enjoy being in the office. My boss lets me have a hybrid schedule because it works for all of us.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Some people legitimately want to go to work at the office so when works done, they leave it behind for the day. Some people value that separation of home and work space. I hope theres a future where both groups can be happy

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
I think there's a happy medium where people who want to work from home can and those that want to go in can as well.

same. got a feeling they are going to find a pretty severe increase in cases of depression from the self isolation of not going to the office and seeing other ppl. For many ppl that's their only way they are exposed to others and I think many are experiencing severe loneliness right now.

I understand this. Though, it's unhealthy that work is the only social interaction people are getting. People who work from home could ask their coworkers to go out after work to bowl, coffee, etc.

Some people legitimately want to go to work at the office so when works done, they leave it behind for the day. Some people value that separation of home and work space. I hope theres a future where both groups can be happy

This makes sense too. Ideally, one would have a completely separate room to do work in. That's not always feasible for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.