• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Buying those vouchers speculatively was always dumb. This is a complete non issue.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I really wanted to use my voucher on something good, and choose AC. Hopefully it lasts long enough for me to be worth it. I really hate the one year thing, it's so b.s.

Glad Pikmin 3 is confirmed! Didn't feel like finishing on Wii U, and I haven't played Wii U since Switch came out. Willing to double dip eventually.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Cause you were waiting on a game you wanted to use it on?

Once COVID hit these expiration dates should have been scrubbed

It's always going to look like they delayed certain things to hit past their expiration date wether they intended to or not. But alas Nintendo is a company that is very lacking in Common Sense, just like SEGA.
What games were you planning on using them ? Have they delayed any officially announced games for that time frame ?

Your are acting as if they had MK9, MP4,BoTW and Galaxy 3 officially announced for the first 6 month of the year and delayed all of them to 21 because they wanted to rip off their voucher customers lol.

You gotta face it - you didn't write down the expiration date for your voucher and were expecting games to hit in those months that were never announced. You win some you lose some, gotta own up to it.

Gambling till the last second for some crazy announcement was always gonna be a risk.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Wouldn't this have been the case for any game they would announce after July 31st?

I just find it weird that this thread is popping up now. It seems kinda... late? Did we have one prior to July 31st about people expressing concerns about game announcements that would come after the voucher expiration date?

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Weird that you can't buy more in the US. I have bought like six or eight over the last year on the Japanese eshop. Then again, it's a bigger savings in yen.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Much bigger issues are...

1. The vouchers expire in the first place

2. This is yet another $60 port. Of a game that was priced at $20 on the Wii U in HD (which they have now delisted from the Wii U shop). Fucking blatant at this point.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Getting the vouchers without having what to buy with them was clearly a bad idea from the start.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
as usual, NoA is shitting the bed harder than any other Nintendo branch.

in Japan and Europe regions, you can buy vouchers at any time as long as you have NSO. if anything, NoA is the one causing this mess since people ended up stockpiling a bunch of vouchers because this was the only region to remove them for no reason.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I get the frustration and I so agree that vouchers shouldn't ha e an expiration date.

But lol you knew of the conditions when you bought them. Nintendo did not scam anybody.

Oct 25, 2017
Hardly surprising as Nintendo being a trash company to its customers is nothing new. They'll milk every penny because they can. The vouchers should never have expired.

Last edited:

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why buy it before you know what you want?

Because that's the whole idea behind giving you a year to use them outside of the inital purchase instead of just forcing the user to use it at the same time it is purchased.

Another user mentioned they even marketed it this way.

What games were you planning on using them ? Have they delayed any officially announced games for that time frame ?

Your are acting as if they had MK9, MP4,BoTW and Galaxy 3 officially announced for the first 6 month of the year and delayed all of them to 21 because they wanted to rip off their voucher customers lol.

You gotta face it - you didn't write down the expiration date for your voucher and were expecting games to hit in those months that were never announced. You win some you lose some, gotta own up to it.

Gambling till the last second for some crazy announcement was always gonna be a risk.

I don't have to own up to anything since I decided not to buy them in the first place. That doesn't mean that this entire shebang is OK, its still a scummy move and they should be put on blast for it.

as usual, NoA is shitting the bed harder than any other Nintendo branch.

in Japan and Europe regions, you can buy vouchers at any time as long as you have NSO. if anything, NoA is the one causing this mess since people ended up stockpiling a bunch of vouchers because this was the only region to remove them for no reason.

Ooooohh this would explain alot

And I would have no problem with this set up since you could wait until two games you wanted and then buy.

So yall just defending NOA for being stupid then. OK, Got it.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Vouchers weren't really supposed to act like a speculative investment to get $10 off anything in perpetuity that wasn't even known... Who bought a voucher in July 2019 feeling promised Pikmin 3? Was Nintendo supposed to put a moratorium on game announcements once vouchers expired? I just don't understand this issue sorry. Holding onto a voucher for a year is idiotic anyway, it's a terrible way to lock up non-transferable cash equivalents.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I feel like this knowledge ENTIRELY changes the framing of the thread.
Yeah, even as a Nintendo fan I did not know that's why they expired last week. The way people were talking about it I just assumed all US voucher purchases lasted until last week.

The way they handled the program in the US was shitty, but knowing that it was a year from purchase and only people who bought in the last day had them expire last week, the connection to the Pikmin 3 announcement is super weak.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo literally warns you multiple times on those pages that you must use them one year from purchase.

Expiration is just the typical thing for vouchers really. Not saying this is good mind you, just that this is the same thing for every voucher system out there.
It's like others have said it's just a messed up thing to enforce with covid happening and delaying all kinds of games. Nintendo has been pretty quiet for games the last few months too. Announcing a game a short time after you know all passes will be gone looks pretty bad even if it is a coincidence.

It's a port too so an announcement could have been earlier. It looks like they just sort of tweeted it out of the blue.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was intentional, but those vouchers were a $100 bet that Nintendo would release games you want in a certain time and that's a bad bet.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
It's like others have said it's just a messed up thing to enforce with covid happening and delaying all kinds of games. Nintendo has been pretty quiet for games the last few months too. Announcing a game a short time after you know all passes will be gone looks pretty bad even if it is a coincidence.

It's a port too so an announcement could have been earlier. It looks like they just sort of tweeted it out of the blue.
All passes are not gone. Vouchers expire a year after purchased, so those that expired are because they bought (and hoard?) them day one.

I know that some were waiting for really specific games to use them, but then since NA always made note about them expiring and the program ending at some point, why not buy them closer to the end of the program rather than as soon as the program was out? Much less buy as many as some bought. Some literally bought for dozens of games...day one.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019

Sure, and I agree with that, but that has nothing to do with what you've said about the voucher expiration limit (again, it's the same for all vouchers out there).

MonadoTsukai

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
And double-ouch. Wow. Here I'm gone for a couple hours and Nintendo both announces a "new" old game AND totally fucks up. :/

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The expiration date was known in advance before you made the purchase. This isn't anti-consumer, this is just a bunch of children whining that they couldn't use their voucher on a game they wanted.

MonadoTsukai

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Wouldn't this have been the case for any game they would announce after July 31st?

I just find it weird that this thread is popping up now. It seems kinda... late? Did we have one prior to July 31st about people expressing concerns about game announcements that would come after the voucher expiration date?

How many other games did Nintendo announce only 5 days after the voucher expiration?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What? The actual issue is that they expire to begin with. But given that we long since knew that, it's silly to act as if they purposely announced the game when they did to avoid people living in NA using them.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
Oh my god is this the spin people are putting on this now?

No Nintendo did not wait until after vouchers expire with the intention of screwing people over.

dgamemaster

Jun 29, 2020
I don't really see the problem here. The Vouchers had rather clear terms to me (They were eligible for up to one additional year after purchase date). Since Nintendo had previously stated their expiry, they didn't break the law or anything. The only somewhat bad thing is that they forgot to send reminders of the expiry date, but even then, they don't owe you a reminder to utilize something you bought knowing the terms.

Yes, it's a tad bit sad that Pikmin 3 Deluxe isn't going to be eligible for the promotion, but I don't think it's that big of a deal, you had time to use them if you didn't. One year after purchase (July 31, 2019 to July 31, 2020) is somewhat generous from Nintendo for the level of discount they offered (Nintendo doesn't do deals like that very often). The terms were rather clear to me. I don't think it's worth a thread if I'm being honest (And if the problem this thread actually wanted to express is that the vouchers expire and are not unlimited, then you shouldn't have a need to say that Nintendo waited intentionally for the vouchers to expire before announcing Pikmin 3 since that isn't the issue you are trying to bring up.)

At least, that's what I think.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I am pretty sure that Pikmin 3 would have been part of the E3 Direct and I am fairly certain they did not wait for the vouchers to expire to announce the game.
It rather seems fairly obvious that COVID-19 interfered with their plans this year and people should also consider that before pointing out the "quiet year so far".

They definitely should have sent people a reminder about the expiry of the vouchers, that is definitely anti-consumer. Other than that I don't see the huge problem with limiting the validity of vouchers and I feel people might be reading a bit too much into that.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if people didn't spend money needlessly and thoughtlessly let them expire it wouldn't be a problem

MonadoTsukai

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
The number of days here doesn't really matter. It could be 5, or it could be 50. That doesn't really change the nature of the grievances shown in this thread.

?

The number of days is vital here. 5 days is like right after the expiration date. 50 days would almost 2 months after. The expiration is bs either way, but right now this has the awful taste of "that what planned" to it. Although even for a coincidence this would be bad.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Technically your vouchers expired 365 days after purchase, not July 31st 2020. July 31st 2019 was just the last day you could purchase them.
yup, people acting like thousands of vouchers expired on that date while it was just the ones who were dumb enough to stock up on them to buy games that haven't been announced yet. i'm all in favor of them never expiring but it was clearly stated. this is an own goal.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Cause you were waiting on a game you wanted to use it on?
So you're buying vouchers for unannounced games, or games with no releasedate. Even though you knew there's an expiration date attached to them. There's only one person to blame for a decision like that.

I'm not defending the expiration date or anything like that, but spending $100 bucks on mystery games that may or may not exist/come out is dumb.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
What? The actual issue is that they expire to begin with. But given that we long since knew that, it's silly to act as if they purposely announced the game when they did to avoid people living in NA using them.
Plus they expire in all regions, not just NA.

So those that bought them on July 2019 across EU, theirs expired by now; so don't know why some are framing this as a NoA issue or even some mastermind plan.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
Well atleast we have Zelda BOTW2, Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3 and Mario stuff to look forward to, so it's better than 2016 when we had nothing.
I really think we aren't getting those games on Switch, it would be on Switch 2. If they are opening a Holiday season with a port nobody bought in the first place when other are releasing Spiderman, halo, etc. Yeah, we aren't seeing those games you mentioned in a while.

Conjo

Oct 27, 2017
Lei Colmosna
All passes are not gone. Vouchers expire a year after purchased, so those that expired are because they bought (and hoard?) them day one.

I know that some were waiting for really specific games to use them, but then since NA always made note about them expiring and the program ending at some point, why not buy them closer to the end of the program rather than as soon as the program was out? Much less buy as many as some bought. Some literally bought for dozens of games...day one.

Last day to purchase them on NA was on July 31, 2019

How many other games did Nintendo announce only 5 days after the voucher expiration?
Would it have made a difference if they announced it 1 week later? 2 weeks? a month or two?

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
So has anyone with expired vouchers reached out to support about it? I didn't follow the other thread on this but based on Nintendo's past actions I could see them being lenient on something like this.