• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It's really disappointing to read this thread and see so many want the industry to remain secret. This industry is so secret this enthusiast forum has frequent trouble understanding how this industry even works, operates, or how games are even made. And it's this secrecy that frequently fuels conspiracy theories, hateful comments, etc., because we hardly have actual facts and data to rely upon.

I mean the conspiracy theories and hateful comments are the result of fanboys fanboying over numbers that ultimately should have no effect on their ability to enjoy the fruits of the industry.

The secrecy isn't fueling this, it's inherent the toxicity of some enthusiasts of the industry.

The problem is people care a lot more about numbers than they should. So what if a game sold 1 million copies or 200k copies? What difference does that knowledge make for the consumer experience ? None whatsoever.

I know, but with budgets getting larger, studios shutting down, the lack of unions and endless crunch, lack of transparency for sales, the industry doesn't seem like it's in a healthy state. Like I said, a major game having a scandal where they falsify their sales in order to keep the money coming in won't surprise me, especially given all the digital storefronts and separate international markets.

Some company says "oh, we sold x in y market" but it turns out a shady company gave them cash, and they dumped a shipping container full of games into a landfill to help a shady company launder money, I wouldn't be shocked.

I get it, if a company does that, it's illegal. I'm just saying that if the public and press aren't reporting on the industry, there will be players in the industry that will do illegal things.

Public reports aren't what prevent this from happening. Trackers still sell the data, and people who are potentially adversely effected by dishonest financial reporting are the ones who would be purchasing it. Also, there's constant legal oversight.

I think it's a byproduct of digitization.

Netflix is subscriber based. A TV show sells ad space, and ad buyers need to know the "value" of an ad, so a third-party group provides numbers -otherwise the TV stations could make up the numbers and set the price.

With games sales, the numbers have to be known so retailers can stock appropriately, because shelf and warehouse space is a cost for retailers. Going to digital, and having private storefronts (EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Rockstar, etc.) means that pubs have no real reason to share info.

What? Retailers are a source of the sales data, not the recipients. They place initial order based on projections from publishers and analysts, then restock based on their own sales. Publishers wouldn't know sell through without estimates from trackers, all they know for sure is what they sell-in to retailers.

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Goodness gracious, the entitlement.

1: No. They're not your numbers or our numbers. They're Media Create's numbers.
2: It isn't publishers pushing not to publish them publicly, but Media Create itself. They're a company, and they want to make money with their work.
3: The numbers won't be publicly available via Media Create on Friday. This doesn't mean that publications like 4Gamer won't pay for them to publish them.
4: Even if Media Create numbers become completely unavailable, There are still Famitsu's numbers, which are nearly equivalent.
5: The gaming press' role isn't to bitch at a company that wants to sell its work instead of giving it away for free.

Again. They're not your or our numbers. They belong to Media Create.

Thread should have ended with this post. The press can do nothing to force Media Create or the NPD to make numbers public for free. The very idea betrays people's absurd ignorance on the topic.

Screen Looker

Nov 17, 2018
I think it's a byproduct of digitization.

Netflix is subscriber based. A TV show sells ad space, and ad buyers need to know the "value" of an ad, so a third-party group provides numbers -otherwise the TV stations could make up the numbers and set the price.

With games sales, the numbers have to be known so retailers can stock appropriately, because shelf and warehouse space is a cost for retailers. Going to digital, and having private storefronts (EA, Ubisoft, Blizzard, Rockstar, etc.) means that pubs have no real reason to share info.

This is exactly why. Third party sources are why you know how much a theater makes in theaters. Third party sources talk about product sales. Outside of that, the companies only have to make earnings publicly available and they can use whatever metrics hey want to report as important. Similar to how you can no longer see pure sales numbers in Xbox Financial reporting.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it really sucks, should not be alllowed. They will be able to control the narrative and none will be the wiser.

But what's the consumer impact about them "controlling" sales narrative?

If Publisher X decides not to talk about sales and instead says " we had a million players, what's the harm to you?

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Through a notice on their website, Media Create confirmed that they'll no longer share sales numbers (hardware and software) to the public.
Media Create has been going on since 1994, 25 years ago, and has been providing us with reliable and exhaustive data on the Japanese market.
It is also a small company (11 people), which cannot resist to the pressure put by its stakeholders (publishers for example).

There is a story here and yet I fail to see any big media reporting it. Nada. Rien. Niente.

Isn't it the role of the press to prevent such things ? If a publisher is pushing for keeping data from us, isn't it the role of the gaming press to point the finger ?

We live in socially connected world, bad PR can have disastrous consequences, the press has a real leverage there but they don't care.

During these past few months, a lot of industry problems have been raised, crunch, social protection, THQ Nordic debacle, and people like Imran or jschreier and also Waypoint have been calling out these issues.
While the movie industry is getting detailed daily numbers on almost every country, we are continually losing the scraps that we had (US numbers, Media Create numbers, seemingly Spanish numbers now too via Hobby Consolas).

It might be mere numbers, but it is our numbers, ours since 1994. If a publisher is taking them out from us, we should know why and who's behind it.

MOD EDIT: removed profanity from thread title

Why do you think the media has any right to said numbers?

Data like this is valuable. If Media Create and NPD can sell access, rather than give it away, they will.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
Even if the other number providers stopped publically giving us the actual data, we will still be able to get a good idea on what is going on in the Japanese industry. The raw data will be missed, but it is not a dire situation.

Last edited:

gadwin

Nov 1, 2017
I'm all for numbers but perhaps in this one instance this is a good thing.. maybe my brain won't boil while scrolling through the first comments of the media create thread every week.

Rotimi

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Jos , Nigeria
men still shocked its going. Media create was the reason i started following the old place. waited years to be able to post. The name of the thread is going to change damn

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the conspiracy theories and hateful comments are the result of fanboys fanboying over numbers that ultimately should have no effect on their ability to enjoy the fruits of the industry.

The secrecy isn't fueling this, it's inherent the toxicity of some enthusiasts of the industry.

The problem is people care a lot more about numbers than they should. So what if a game sold 1 million copies or 200k copies? What difference does that knowledge make for the consumer experience ? None whatsoever.
And these types are also being driven out of this space through stricter moderation. Psycho_Mantis, Ethomaz, and much more have become banned or permabanned for their console warring, conspiracies, and hateful comments, in sales threads. And hateful comments and conspiracy theorists should continue to be pushed out as they have no business in discussions cause all they do is spread FUD. And this applies to all things, not just sales numbers. You have an industry that is very secretive, and also an audience unwilling to learn when information is actually available, all while calling themselves enthusiasts who are interested in the goings-on in this industry.

There are people willing to learn though. Just because you think everyone is ignorant and do these things, doesn't mean everyone does it.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The fact that you had to go to these absurdly niche sites is proof enough. ;)

Well said.

(Also, awesome avatar. I hope to have some fun upcoming news in regards to that movie later this Summer!) ;)

......since when does Ign, gameindustry,siliconera, and nintendolife is niche sites? Whats with all this anti transparency apologist?

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
And these types are also being driven out of this space through stricter moderation. Psycho_Mantis, Ethomaz, and much more have become banned or permabanned for their console warring, conspiracies, and hateful comments, in sales threads. And hateful comments and conspiracy theorists should continue to be pushed out as they have no business in discussions cause all they do is spread FUD. And this applies to all things, not just sales numbers. You have an industry that is very secretive, and also an audience unwilling to learn when information is actually available, all while calling themselves enthusiasts who are interested in the goings-on in this industry.

There are people willing to learn though. Just because you think everyone is ignorant and do these things, doesn't mean everyone does it.

That's fine, but even if everyone was genuinely interested in learning, that doesn't entitle anyone to the data.

It was awesome that some trackers offered their data to the public free of charge, but that was alway a luxury, not some moral requirement.

This industry isn't really that secretive. Most other industries get their sales data publicized by 3rd party trackers (if at all) - and those trackers tend to have business models that benefit financially by making that data free to the public.

Edit: also, just reading through this thread, it's pretty ironic how many of the people upset about the loss of public data appear to be the most ignorant when it comes to how the business actually works. I'm not convinced public sales data has been a great source of education.

......since when does Ign, gameindustry,siliconera, and nintendolife is niche sites? Whats with all this anti transparency apologist?

That's a new one. Having a realistic understanding of how business actually works and what data consumers are actually entitled to makes a person anti-transparency and an apologist. Who are we apologizing for ? MC and their decision to change their business model? They don't own anyone anything for free.

Last edited:

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
So from Lelouch0612 's post there wasn't much context (since it was about complaining about the lack of coverage on it), so here it is: (maybe to add to OP)

https://www.m-create.com/english/latest_research/e_ranking.html
«
Dear Visitors,
From April, we will change the disclosing policy of weekly sales ranking into top 10 software ranking without sales number.
We continue working on making sales data report (software and hardware), so if your company is interested in market data about Japanese console games, please let us know.
Media Create Co., Ltd.
»

----
It's nice that companies can have access to all the previous data but independent researchers are not always affiliated to a company.
I guess it is simply a matter of contacting them with a request to access the archives?

Only their weekly reports were the ones made public I think. (I guess you could just combine them to get the rest.) Maybe in the future they might disclose their more coarse yearly/quarterly data recaps, while keeping their "live" recaps as paying incentive?

Last edited:

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's fine, but even if everyone was genuinely interested in learning, that doesn't entitle anyone to the data.

It was awesome that some trackers offered their data to the public free of charge, but that was alway a luxury, not some moral requirement.

This industry isn't really that secretive. Most other industries get their sales data publicized by 3rd party trackers (if at all) - and those trackers tend to have business models that benefit financially by making that data free to the public.

Edit: also, just reading through this thread, it's pretty ironic how many of the people upset about the loss of public data appear to be the most ignorant when it comes to how the business actually works. I'm not convinced public sales data has been a great source of education.
I'm late to this, but numbers are very educational and gives us trends in the market, because without numbers you cannot tell where the market is going. Without all these numbers from Media Create and Famitsu, we'd never had known that home consoles market in Japan was rapidly losing popularity to dedicated handhelds and mobile. You could not see what issues were/are appearing in the market, like how the market is reacting to sequel after sequel, and low quality anime games and where people are shifting too to get a better fix for these needs. The only company to not see software decline in Japan despite all their sequels is Nintendo because of their willingness to change things up and offer high quality polish to even their smallest games. And the mobile market is putting in more effort in their anime titles and providing deeper stories than games Compile Hearts or Bandai Namco put out. Nor would you see that there is a bit of growth in western game popularity starting to emerge in Japan.

And you cannot rely on fiscal reports either as they won't give out every detail. Sony only ever gives worldwide hardware data, and never gives out regional splits. Fiscal reports can also be fudged a little by merging things and doing a slight of hand to show things are fine and dandy while covering up any failures or under performances. See Capcom and their merging of software data mixing their back catalog releases such as remasters, remakes, and ports, along with brand new titles like MHW, MM11, or whatever else.

Numbers are good and useful to have to give you a wider picture of the markets.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While this is a significant loss to MC thread peeps, it's their numbers and they have the right to profit from their work. You can just pay them if you really want to see the numbers right? There's still Famitsu, this looks like an entitlement to me

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Theyre better here since we dont have the GAF mods and their friends who would constantly shit up MC threads

Imo they're even worse here. The week when MHW was released is legendary (in a bad way). It'll just be called Famitsu thread from now on though so the threads are not going anywhere.

On topic I really think it sucks that the gaming industry are hiding numbers but we have absolutely 0 indication that MC are being pressured. They're just trying to monetize a part of their business.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imo they're even worse here. The week when MHW was released is legendary (in a bad way). It'll just be called Famitsu thread from now on though so the threads are not going anywhere.

On topic I really think it sucks that the gaming industry are hiding numbers but we have absolutely 0 indication that MC are being pressured. They're just trying to monetize a part of their business.
Aye, MH talk are the few times those threads can turn a little sour. It derails too much. Hopefully this can be something that can be addressed at some point, because after awhile the conversation around MH just goes in circles.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
[/QUOTE]
I'm late to this, but numbers are very educational and gives us trends in the market, because without numbers you cannot tell where the market is going. Without all these numbers from Media Create and Famitsu, we'd never had known that home consoles market in Japan was rapidly losing popularity to dedicated handhelds and mobile. You could not see what issues were/are appearing in the market, like how the market is reacting to sequel after sequel, and low quality anime games and where people are shifting too to get a better fix for these needs. The only company to not see software decline in Japan despite all their sequels is Nintendo because of their willingness to change things up and offer high quality polish to even their smallest games. And the mobile market is putting in more effort in their anime titles and providing deeper stories than games Compile Hearts or Bandai Namco put out. Nor would you see that there is a bit of growth in western game popularity starting to emerge in Japan.

And you cannot rely on fiscal reports either as they won't give out every detail. Sony only ever gives worldwide hardware data, and never gives out regional splits. Fiscal reports can also be fudged a little by merging things and doing a slight of hand to show things are fine and dandy while covering up any failures or under performances. See Capcom and their merging of software data mixing their back catalog releases such as remasters, remakes, and ports, along with brand new titles like MHW, MM11, or whatever else.

Numbers are good and useful to have to give you a wider picture of the markets.

You don't need unit sales to see market trends. Actually this is exactly the type of information that is gleaned from fiscal earnings and analyst reporting.

Your right. They don't give "every detail" but they provide enough insight for investors to make decisions on how to invest based on trends and whether or not they believe publishers actions are aligning with trends.

Consumers actually generally aren't using unit sale information to make any decisions - so its hard to argue that it needs to be public. We use it to have discussion and debate that is ultimately fruitless. Is it good/fun to have numbers? Sure. But there's no need or moral obligation for it to be provided publically. Trackers are working to gather this info - it doesn't tabulate itself automatically. and if they want to get paid for their efforts, so be it.

As far as mixing things to "appear fine and dandy" that's for investors to worry about, not consumers. If publishers decide to give a combined outlook to show that, overall, the company is doing well, so be it, so long as they aren't lying about overall health. Consumers don't really need to know if an individual game sold well or not -

But let's say, you, as an individual, didn't know that home consoles were losing ground tohandhelds in Japan, because you typically got that info from Unit Sales - how are you adversely impacted by not having access to this piece of trivia?

Last edited:

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It might be mere numbers, but it is our numbers, ours since 1994. If a publisher is taking them out from us, we should know why and who's behind it.

MOD EDIT: removed profanity from thread title

Except they're not your/our numbers are they? I'll never stop being shocked at how gamers seem to be the most entitled people. Mediacrate literally owe you nothing so they're well within their right do to this, as sucky as it is for us.

Last edited:

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Except they're not your/our numbers are they? I'll never stop being shocked at how gamers seem to be the most entitled people. Mediacrate literally owe you nothing so they're well within their right do to this, as sucky as it is for us.
I guess they could include independent developers and independent researchers as a minority in the "us" that would be interested in this data (for opportunity planning, trends analysis, ...). So that it's not just randos from the internet.

Jade1962

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Funny you think the threads are better because dissenting opinions were driven out. I wouldn't say the moderation changed but the reporting feature made a difference. It's easy to mass report someone going against the grain of every game should be on "insert current Nintendo console" or company "X" is incompetent because they don't port games "insert current Nintendo console".

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
It's really disappointing to read this thread and see so many want the industry to remain secret. This industry is so secret this enthusiast forum has frequent trouble understanding how this industry even works, operates, or how games are even made. And it's this secrecy that frequently fuels conspiracy theories, hateful comments, etc., because we hardly have actual facts and data to rely upon.
What? This enthusiast forum doesn't have trouble understanding how this industry even works, operates, or how games are even made because of secrecy. There are many years worth of very public resources explaining all that in detail: industry/design focused sites like Gamasutra and GameIndustry, sites like TIGSource, dev streams and dev logs and dev diaries for everything from obscure indie games to AAA games, channels like GDC and myriad others on game design, books and podcasts and other media, devs on these very forums providing insights

If people on this enthusiast forum doesn't know about how the industry works or how games are made, it's not because of secrecy or lack of knowledge. It's because they don't care or have an interest in educating themselves, and the general audience is even less interested.

Biases and lack of interest in learning about game design or how games are made is what fuels conspiracy theories, hateful comments, etc, "lazy dev" rhetoric and so on.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny you think the threads are better because dissenting opinions were driven out. I wouldn't say the moderation changed but the reporting feature made a difference. It's easy to mass report someone going against the grain of every game should be on "insert current Nintendo console" or company "X" is incompetent because they don't port games "insert current Nintendo console".
You mean Psycho_Mantis, who has a history of gas-lighting people? Or Ethomaz who is a load of hot air and has harassed insiders and leakers? Yeah, I'm glad people like them are gone.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
Goodness gracious, the entitlement.

1: No. They're not your numbers or our numbers. They're Media Create's numbers.
2: It isn't publishers pushing not to publish them publicly, but Media Create itself. They're a company, and they want to make money with their work.
3: The numbers won't be publicly available via Media Create on Friday. This doesn't mean that publications like 4Gamer won't pay for them to publish them.
4: Even if Media Create numbers become completely unavailable, There are still Famitsu's numbers, which are nearly equivalent.
5: The gaming press' role isn't to bitch at a company that wants to sell its work instead of giving it away for free.

Again. They're not your or our numbers. They belong to Media Create.
Somebody with brains, peace brother lol.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing here is people agreeing with Abriael, a known fanboy who doesn't like to post MC or Famitsu weekly numbers at times when Playstation isn't doing too well, but will when they do. But you know, he has 10 years of experience with MC, but struggles to find any people playing their Switches in public restrooms in Japan and has used this as a way to say it wasn't performing well. There's much more disingenuousness from Abriael when it comes to sales data and information I won't get into though. There are a number of names in this thread that don't care about something like losing sales information, because they already have a history in sales threads for being disingenuous and trolling, and ruin any real discussion people are having.
You don't need unit sales to see market trends. Actually this is exactly the type of information that is gleaned from fiscal earnings and analyst reporting.

Your right. They don't give "every detail" but they provide enough insight for investors to make decisions on how to invest based on trends and whether or not they believe publishers actions are aligning with trends.

Consumers actually generally aren't using unit sale information to make any decisions - so its hard to argue that it needs to be public. We use it to have discussion and debate that is ultimately fruitless. Is it good/fun to have numbers? Sure. But there's no need or moral obligation for it to be provided publically. Trackers are working to gather this info - it doesn't tabulate itself automatically. and if they want to get paid for their efforts, so be it.

As far as mixing things to "appear fine and dandy" that's for investors to worry about, not consumers. If publishers decide to give a combined outlook to show that, overall, the company is doing well, so be it, so long as they aren't lying about overall health. Consumers don't really need to know if an individual game sold well or not -

But let's say, you, as an individual, didn't know that home consoles were losing ground tohandhelds in Japan, because you typically got that info from Unit Sales - how are you adversely impacted by not having access to this piece of trivia?
Nintendo is so far the only one that really gives us numbers regularly in their fiscals unlike a majority of other companies. It's why we can have a detailed sales thread for Nintendo and keep numbers frequently updated. And it's why only Nintendo has this kind of sales thread because they are the only ones that provide a large amount of transparency in their sales. Heck, they never once hid Wii U sales figures at all despite how much of a failure it was.

I also wonder if you read this Bloomberg article and interview: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nknown-data-guru-to-make-millions-on-nintendo

Because Investors aren't buying for financial breakdown and revenue from Media Create, they are paying for the point-of-sale and shipment data to better see trends outside of fiscal and quarterly reports that many don't provide.
Media Create is part of a burgeoning industry of specialist data providers that help investors make more informed bets on everything from stocks to commodities and currencies. The 25-year-old firm distinguishes itself through close relationships with about 2,000 gaming shops and dozens of publishers, which provide Hosokawa's analysts with weekly point-of-sale and shipment data on hardware and software in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan.

The data isn't comprehensive, but his analysts extrapolate with what Hosokawa calls "keikensoku." The term is usually translated in English as "rule of thumb," but it literally means "measuring by experience." Clients pay $20,000 or more a year for reports that forecast local and international trends.

Hosokawa, who also provides some key statistics for free every week on his website, said it is easier to predict global trends for Nintendo than rivals like Sony Corp. That's partly because Nintendo publishes a regional breakdown of Switch sales, according to Serkan Toto, founder of Tokyo-based consultancy Kantan Games Inc.

That Nintendo bit even backs up what I was saying about Nintendo's transparency and regional breakdowns.

Funny thing about the fine and dandy part. We used to have an actual investor here with years and years of experience, Aquamarine, she used to give us all kinds of NPD sales leaks, she was also the one that gave us Nintendo's entire historical data from when NPD had just started tracking data, and the big break down of how the Pokemon IP works between Gamefreak, Nintendo, and The Pokemon Company. And you wouldn't believe how people like Mr. Carter or H-I-M (2 people in this thread who don't care about this news or loss of sales information) and others disregarding the important things she said, and actual information on Capcom making it difficult to have an actual discussion on Capcom's financials. The merging of data was one thing, but they were also using the success of MHW to cover up stuff at the time. I dunno if her posts are still in the old Capcom thread though, I believe she left era and had much of her posts deleted.

Honestly, with how this conversation is going and with what I can assume is a devil's advocate bit, I question if you think sales threads should even be a thing in the first place. Because you make it sound like none of this should be the concern of anyone but business professionals, regardless of anything I or anyone else would have to say.

Should we simply trust companies like SEGA to give an accurate number of total sales of the Sonic franchise, or go with the narrative set by SEGA that is false and inflated because they combined merchandising and everything possibly related to Sonic with the games to make them appear bigger than it is. Should we simply believe that Dragalia Lost did so bad it created a loss for Cyber Agent when their real losses came from their TV investments? How do we counter false narratives set by a company? Many are readily and willing to believe anything a company says at the drop of a hat, and I think whatever information we can get from fiscals and publicly made data is helpful to counter false narratives. And I'd argue it would also be in the best interest of some news outlets to start keeping such public sales information while it's available. Companies have been known to fib and smudge and it's best they didn't always regurgitate them and counter with actual information where they can.

And as I've noticed and named names above, some that don't seem to care about the loss of sales information in this thread are ones that have a history participating in console war behavior in sales threads and setting their own narrative and general bias, rejecting other perspectives that conflict with their own.

I don't even know why anyone would want less information.

What? This enthusiast forum doesn't have trouble understanding how this industry even works, operates, or how games are even made because of secrecy. There are many years worth of very public resources explaining all that in detail: industry/design focused sites like Gamasutra and GameIndustry, sites like TIGSource, dev streams and dev logs and dev diaries for everything from obscure indie games to AAA games, channels like GDC and myriad others on game design, books and podcasts and other media, devs on these very forums providing insights

If people on this enthusiast forum doesn't know about how the industry works or how games are made, it's not because of secrecy or lack of knowledge. It's because they don't care or have an interest in educating themselves, and the general audience is even less interested.

Biases and lack of interest in learning about game design or how games are made is what fuels conspiracy theories, hateful comments, etc, "lazy dev" rhetoric and so on.

You are right. I clarified a little later that I feel there are aspects to both. There are still areas of secrecy in the gaming industry and where they lack communication, and there are also a lot of places to go for information on game creation and plenty who don't want to seek it out or listen to it when it's there in front of them.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
What a ridiculous thread lol.

If MC wants to sell their work, who cares? Just because they gave it away for 24 years, doesn't mean they had to continue doing so. They also don't owe you shit, whether that be an explanation on why the policy changed or the numbers themselves. If you want the numbers and the work they put into compiling that data, pay for it. Otherwise, move on. It's that simple and there's no discussion to be had here

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing here is people agreeing with Abriael, a known fanboy who doesn't like to post MC or Famitsu weekly numbers at times when Playstation isn't doing too well, but will when they do. But you know, he has 10 years of experience with MC, but struggles to find any people playing their Switches in public restrooms in Japan and has used this as a way to say it wasn't performing well. There's much more disingenuousness from Abriael when it comes to sales data and information I won't get into though. There are a number of names in this thread that don't care about something like losing sales information, because they already have a history in sales threads for being disingenuous and trolling, and ruin any real discussion people are having.

Nintendo is so far the only one that really gives us numbers regularly in their fiscals unlike a majority of other companies. It's why we can have a detailed sales thread for Nintendo and keep numbers frequently updated. And it's why only Nintendo has this kind of sales thread because they are the only ones that provide a large amount of transparency in their sales. Heck, they never once hid Wii U sales figures at all despite how much of a failure it was.

I also wonder if you read this Bloomberg article and interview: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...nknown-data-guru-to-make-millions-on-nintendo

Because Investors aren't buying for financial breakdown and revenue from Media Create, they are paying for the point-of-sale and shipment data to better see trends outside of fiscal and quarterly reports that many don't provide.

That Nintendo bit even backs up what I was saying about Nintendo's transparency and regional breakdowns.

Funny thing about the fine and dandy part. We used to have an actual investor here with years and years of experience, Aquamarine, she used to give us all kinds of NPD sales leaks, she was also the one that gave us Nintendo's entire historical data from when NPD had just started tracking data, and the big break down of how the Pokemon IP works between Gamefreak, Nintendo, and The Pokemon Company. And you wouldn't believe how people like Mr. Carter or H-I-M (2 people in this thread who don't care about this news or loss of sales information) and others disregarding the important things she said, and actual information on Capcom making it difficult to have an actual discussion on Capcom's financials. The merging of data was one thing, but they were also using the success of MHW to cover up stuff at the time. I dunno if her posts are still in the old Capcom thread though, I believe she left era and had much of her posts deleted.

Honestly, with how this conversation is going and with what I can assume is a devil's advocate bit, I question if you think sales threads should even be a thing in the first place. Because you make it sound like none of this should be the concern of anyone but business professionals, regardless of anything I or anyone else would have to say.

Should we simply trust companies like SEGA to give an accurate number of total sales of the Sonic franchise, or go with the narrative set by SEGA that is false and inflated because they combined merchandising and everything possibly related to Sonic with the games to make them appear bigger than it is. Should we simply believe that Dragalia Lost did so bad it created a loss for Cyber Agent when their real losses came from their TV investments? How do we counter false narratives set by a company? Many are readily and willing to believe anything a company says at the drop of a hat, and I think whatever information we can get from fiscals and publicly made data is helpful to counter false narratives. And I'd argue it would also be in the best interest of some news outlets to start keeping such public sales information while it's available. Companies have been known to fib and smudge and it's best they didn't always regurgitate them and counter with actual information where they can.
And as I've noticed and named names above, some that don't seem to care about the loss of sales information in this thread are ones that have a history participating in console war behavior in sales threads and setting their own narrative and general bias, rejecting other perspectives that conflict with their own.

I don't even know why anyone would want less information.

You are right. I clarified a little later that I feel there are aspects to both. There are still areas of secrecy in the gaming industry and where they lack communication, and there are also a lot of places to go for information on game creation and plenty who don't want to seek it out or listen to it when it's there in front of them.

Ok I think we are talking past each other.

Do I think having this information is bad? No. Do I think there is anything wrong with having sales threads or that sales threads shouldn't exist? No. Do I want less information? No, I just don't feel entitled to it.

At the end of the day, unit sales discussions by enthusiaasts are primarily for entertainment. People come to the forums because they like talking about games- and how well games sell is yet another topic of discussion/debate. Unfortunately, the particular information that we use to fuel these discussions, we aren't inherently privy to. So while losing this public data may make for a less interesting time in sales threads, or on the forums, this knowledge has never been paramount for a consumer enjoyment or safety within this industry. We play games - the exact sales performance of individual games has 0 impact on our ability to do so. Media Create isn't in the business of entertaining gamers on discussion boards and they have no moral obligation to do so.

So I really can't answer your question about "false narratives". I can't give you advice on whether or not you should believe Sega - but I do know Sega's sales narrative isnt aimed at consumers/enthusiasts - it's aimed investors. I can choose to believe them or not, but ultimately their sales narrative doesn't impact my ability to decide whether to consume their products or not. Most consumers hardly engage with sales narrative at all.

As an enthusiast, while I may like this type of access, I don't need to know the exact sales performance of individual sonic games - I need to know whether or not sonic games have entertainment value for me, so that I can decided to buy them or not.

As an investor, I'd care about whether or not Sega is properly leveraging the strength of their IP into profit, so the combined performance of Sonic branded goods IS something I'd care about. Additional detailed knowledge about the sales performance of individual goods could help me further judge Sega's priorities, so POS data would be valuable to me - so much so that i'd be willing to pay for it.

As a business that tabulates POS data, it might make sense for me to sell this data rather than provide it publically, because my work has monetary value to investors, and I'd want to capitalize on that demand.

So yeah, I understand why this data becoming confidential sucks for people who like discussing it - But I don't think anyone is owed this data - unless of course they made some sort of financial transaction for it.

Gaming News outlets won't keep this info because their audience really doesn't care about it - beyond generalizations and publisher provided accolades. That's the reality of it.

Last edited:

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
What a ridiculous thread lol.

If MC wants to sell their work, who cares? Just because they gave it away for 24 years, doesn't mean they had to continue doing so. They also don't owe you shit, whether that be an explanation on why the policy changed or the numbers themselves. If you want the numbers and the work they put into compiling that data, pay for it. Otherwise, move on. It's that simple and there's no discussion to be had here

Why do you want firms to be the only ones to know information useful for analysing industry trends? Keep in mind that what MC was publicly sharing was just the tip of the iceberg and not much more.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Somebody with brains, peace brother lol.

You are supporting a person who literally use number to push his agenda of ps fanboyism while calling others who wanted transparency regarding sales of gaming industry being brainless?

Probably you should reconsider who here who dont have a working brain i suppose.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
You are supporting a person who literally use number to push his agenda of ps fanboyism while calling others who wanted transparency regarding sales of gaming industry being brainless?

Probably you should reconsider who here who dont have a working brain i suppose.
Doesn't make his statement any less true. Transparency is great, but it comes at a cost.

casiopao

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't make his statement any less true. Transparency is great, but it comes at a cost.

The only thing true from Abriael statement is it shows how hypocrite he was. Transparency is there so us consumer and possible investor knows the climate of the industry we love and follow.

The moment they begin to censor or hide info there. Is the moment those big company can make bullish statement without us knowing whether what the hell they are spewing is true or not.

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing true from Abriael statement is it shows how hypocrite he was. Transparency is there so us consumer and possible investor knows the climate of the industry we love and follow.

The moment they begin to censor or hide info there. Is the moment those big company can make bullish statement without us knowing whether what the hell they are spewing is true or not.
There are organizations and parties involved using their own resources to collect information, it is entirely up to them whether they choose to release them or not. Your idealistic view of companies being completely transparent is unrealistic if for nothing else than strategic reasons. Transparency can also do a lot of to fuel speculation, the unfounded, and lead to a lot of feedback based on irrationality. I'm not against less information for the public in any way, but I understand why companies do what they do, and I believe they have the right to do that, if they have a claim to it. A company isn't obligated to tell the public regularly about how their products are performing. The people that need to know are privy to that info and if the company is public, their financial records are readily available. You're arguing that they should, i'm saying they don't have to and I understand if they don't ( for good reasons and bad).

Last edited: