• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 9, 2018
For reference, here's the famous Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius story of whaling:

r/FFBraveExvius - A Whale of a Tale

3,305 votes and 808 comments so far on Reddit

Unlike FF:BE (which had 1% 5* drop rates at the time and said 5* bases are substantially more powerful than lower units), I'm not entirely sure what's even worth whaling for so badly in FEH.

Oct 25, 2017
The moment you look back and think "15k$" should be the moment of truth about capitalism. That is 15k just thrown into something completely meaningless, that was a source of shallow endorphine release for 3 years; that is 15k that poor children in africa could've used to stay alive. Damn.
Poor people literally everywhere, not just kids in Africa. But OP is just playing the game the way it's designed to be played.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whether to feel bad, or be envious. Either OP has thrown a significant part of their income away at this trash mobile game, or OP is super wealthy and able to nonchalantly throw money away at this trash mobile game.

Oct 27, 2017
Alright I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here.

While I, like many of you, could not imagine spending that kind of money on a gacha game... Who are we to tell the OP how to live his life? People spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary shit every second. People lose thousands from actual gambling every day. Assuming OP is an adult of sound mind, and not losing this income isn't negatively affecting his life... What is the downside, exactly? That he could have played "Better" games for less money?
Because these games are designed to be addicting. Exploting people's addictions is not cool.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
You know, I felt the same way when I got shafted in Dragalia Lost (300+ pulls trying to get a dark unit to no avail) and even I only spent a fraction of the money you put into Fire Emblem Heroes (roughly 60$ haha). It felt kinda strange, knowing that the money I put into Dragalia is just gone, sorta. If I'm not actively playing the game I feel like I've wasted my time.

I still have Dragalia and Granblue installed, but unless a game is willing to sell me units upfront with none of that gacha rubbish, I refuse to spend money on these games.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
well, you should definitely stop playing.
i wont be quitting even with three houses coming out tomorrow. i dont see why you wouldnt be able to play both? if you keep up to date, it shouldnt take that long to clear the daily content. i think the rates are pretty generous too.
i played through SoV perfectly fine while maintaining everything in heroes.
also your husband has 3 alts lmao, I am jealous

ive spent money on the game, but just removed all my payment info from my phone because id be too lazy to reinput it. this obviously isnt the solution for everyone, but at least you recognize you have a problem

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Holy shit that's allot of money to spend. But good on you op for being honest and laying it all out. I hope you learn from this and tone down the spending in the future. Just think of what you could have bought with $15k cash.

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Yeah sorry OP but that is obscene. That sort of expense is what I'd expect to see after a toddler got ahold of the credit card and easy to access microtransactions, not from a healthy logical adult choosing to spend it. You should consider getting help.

mojo

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I don't feel so bad about my game purchases anymore. Don't think I've spent that much on gaming related stuff in my whole life

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
You spent 15k on a bunch of jpeg? I hope you're super wealthy because if not then welp.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Even $200 was far too much for me on FEH. I whaled once on the very first Hero Fest Banner and spent the remainder of my time as a F2P.

I uninstalled FEH over a year ago, because the game was just pointless. Love the franchise, but the gacha lost its luster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whether to feel bad, or be envious. Either OP has thrown a significant part of their income away at this trash mobile game, or OP is super wealthy and able to nonchalantly throw money away at this trash mobile game.
It's the former.
Moving somewhere better, getting a new car, and other things have now been pushed back.
Again, not in life threatening danger or anything, but I shirked more necessary responsibilities for this.

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Tbh you should put someone in charge of your google play's parental control so you can't spend money on it.

I can understand ppl spending 100$ or so on gatcha games that have hundreds of hours in it... to support the developer... but spending more than this... If you can't control yourself yo need someone to do it for you.

What is the downside, exactly? That he could have played "Better" games for less money?
No... that it's not helthy at all... even If you can DO some things... sometimes you SHOULDN'T. None should downplay compulsive behaviour of any kind... with or without money involved.

OP I will ask you one question... even if you don't need that 15K... would you have done a single 15K buy click to get all you got? if the answer is YES, then you got value from it... if is NOT, they tricked you to spend that amount of money and someone should supervise now on so you won't be tricked again.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017
I say "essentially", because I will probably still log in here and there (like I do in Epic Seven, Fate/Grand Order, and Brave Frontier), and maybe even spend a bit if like I get a guaranteed character I want, but like I haven't even logged in for over a week.

Damm man, I can't imagine what it's like to spend that much, but it is great that you're admitting and reflecting that it is not healthy to do so, but I'd suggest to get some professional help as you may really need it, because I don't think you're playing to play the game, but to collect the characters or the thrill of acquiring them (which these games are designed to do so for those). Moreover, some of these games are "spin-offs" from the mainline series and I think they would be more enjoying to play.
I'd suggest a hard break from such games and deleting it or even try selling it, maybe for the best (you'd have money free to support other hobbies or initiatives).

memoryman3

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
With the way Dr Mario World is with a level up capable Dr Daisy and Dr Baby Daisy...and how strict the gatcha system is...welp.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
At some point you gotta take a step back and wonder if you're getting $15k worth of enjoyment out of gambling for sexy anime guy pngs. Preferably before spending the 15k.

DeepChord

Jan 21, 2018
And here I'am selling my whole vinyl record collection (900+) to get out of that 3k debt...sigh

Bobcat Fancy

Jul 21, 2019
If you have enough money that this isn't negatively affecting you too bad, that's great. You're very lucky. I know IRL people who absolutely can't afford this kind of spending but they do because these games are totally predatory. I've spent a few hundred dollars on the "devil's apps" myself and felt just dreadful and anxious about the whole experience. I'm happier just deleting any app you can spend an indefinite of time and money collecting PNGs in.

Maybe you'll enjoy playing another game but I'd like to tell anyone who's wondering whether or not they're having any fun with these that: no, they really suck! See what deleting them feels like. Don't play for one day to break your streak. Think about asking for a ban. Don't feel like you have to justify the time or money you spent on them.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
Most mobile games are designed a certain way. They just are. Booming business. Revenue streams are insane on mobile.

All power to the people that love Mobile games. Personally I steer away from that shit. I learned my lesson.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's a lotta money
I felt the same about LINEplay tho. I spent a few bucks here and there "as a reward to the developers" because I thought the app was neat and I ended up spending about 200 bucks over the course of 3 years. But as it went on the game became an ad-infested premium currency hellhole and I couldn't stand it anymore. It was hard because I "built up" all these things I earned, but eventually I just stopped. Servers are still running and my account with limited event earned stuff is probably still there somewhere, but I've moved on and it's honestly been for the better.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
$15,000 is jaw-dropping.

The most questionable purchase I've ever made for a game was a WoW Blazing Hippogryph mount that I bought for $300. I look back on that purchase every once in a while and go "what the hell was I thinking". $15k though, that is just in another atmosphere even from that. I can't imagine the feeling one might get looking back on that collective decision.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

While I, like many of you, could not imagine spending that kind of money on a gacha game... Who are we to tell the OP how to live his life? People spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary shit every second. People lose thousands from actual gambling every day. Assuming OP is an adult of sound mind, and not losing this income isn't negatively affecting his life... What is the downside, exactly? That he could have played "Better" games for less money?

Yeah, if it didn't put him in the poor house and his entertainment budget is insane, he's a grown adult, and he doesn't seem all that regretful.

The moment you look back and think "15k$" should be the moment of truth about capitalism. That is 15k just thrown into something completely meaningless, that was a source of shallow endorphine release for 3 years; that is 15k that poor children in africa could've used to stay alive. Damn.

I understand it's a ton of money (if it's US dollars) but I'm curious, do you feel this way when you spend excess money on anything? Like a $60 console title, or even a $5 cup of coffee (which I don't but I know a lot do), is there a guilt trip whenever you spend anything above the minimum for something?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm speechless. Get help ASAP.
Even with disposable income I don't throw away even a few hundred bucks without thinking it through.

$15k...on a mobile game. That's not even a respectable addiction lol

Christo750

May 10, 2018
$15,000. Fifteen Thousand Dollars.

Thinking about it, this is equivalent to Nintendo selling 250 digital copies of a $60 game. From one person. (rough math but you get the point)

No wonder people put this shit in their games. Even if someone spends a third of that. They'd be buying ~83 copies.

We are doomed; this shit is here to stay.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like you are too bothered by your spending, but rather that the game sucks now and you'll probably back at it again when some cool events were announced or the next hot mobile games released.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

"What's wrong with microtransactions? People gamble away thousands of dollars every day and that's OK, right?".

Er, no, it's not. If you're going to use a whataboutism, at least use one that people are actually OK with. :D