• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I say "essentially", because I will probably still log in here and there (like I do in Epic Seven, Fate/Grand Order, and Brave Frontier), and maybe even spend a bit if like I get a guaranteed character I want, but like I haven't even logged in for over a week.

But yeah, Fire Emblem Heroes is probably the only non-Pokémon game I'd spent the this much time on, and easily the biggest money sink of any game ever (though I spend more on Pokémon cards).

Back during 2017 and most of 2018, it was my most played game, despite not necessarily being my "favorite". I would login all the time, try and max characters, all the events, do everything possible. It and those other gacha games and Pokémon Go basically made me a mobile only gamer. I would still get console games, but I would rarely spend any time on them. During 2017, I rushed through Shadows of Valentia, because I was more devoted to this; I didn't even do the Duma stuff.

But late last year, I lost a lot of motivation to play. The game changed a lot, with more things to do, but not all of the changes were for the positive. I might be wrong on this, but following the 2 year anniversary, I feel as though there have been less opportunities for free orbs, which disincentivised me from spending more. I'd already spent a lot less lately, due to the terrible power creep, but with an even worse foundation (free orbs), I saw less need to continue.

Dragalia Lost also took up a lot of my interest, which few other gacha or mobile games (besides Pokémon Go) have. I feel like it has more to offer than Fire Emblem Heroes has. Cygames is exponentially more generous than Intelligent Systems ever was. Plus, given the action oriented nature of the game, power creep might not be as big. Hard to say, since the game's not even a year old, but I hope so, at least.

Though the main reason for my disinterest is more personal attachment to certain characters in the franchise, and how they got much less love from Intelligent Systems. This game is basically what determines popularity among Fire Emblem characters these days, and if Intelligent Systems like a character over the fanbase (initially), and then makes them great in this (intentionally or unintentionally), they're bound to get much more popular than others which Intelligent Systems hasn't chosen to prioritize. Most of my husbands got done dirty.

So that, combined with the harsher (how I see it) nature of the game really killed my interest.

It just feels weird to have spent so much time and money and just leave something like this. It's the nature of these types of games, and how they stay afloat of course, but it still irks me.
While I'm not rich, I am very fortunate in that I was able to drop a lot of money without having to worry about food or money, but it still did hit me. I probably became a somewhat problem gambler in this during last Summer when my husband Takumi was in a swimsuit, and I decided to +10 him and a few limited characters.
My luck has always been awful though. I probably spent 3x the average it would take for most to max some of these character.
But yeah, due to power creep and my awful luck, I have been more reluctant to spend more money on gacha games. While I love Dragalia Lost, I spent much less than I had in Fire Emblem Heroes, largely again, due to Cygames being less stingy, and the action gameplay, but also due to my experience with Fire Emblem Heroes.

I say this, but Pokémon Masters is a month away.

But I'm more excited for console games these days, and have been playing my Switch more in the last month, so maybe it won't grip me as hard (doubtful).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Like... Actually 15k money spent or just like... How much equivalent money from free rolls... right?

I've been enjoying Heroes but I haven't spent a dime.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the fact you can even spend so much on a game is proof enough we need harsher laws on this shit

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ dude...

I've spent nothing on the game, and it's far and away the most fun and content-rich mobile game I've ever played. But yeah, if I were you I'd just quit cold turkey.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not gonna tell you how to live your life.

But you may have an addiction problem.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
That is a lot of money. I think I've only spent $10 or so...whatever the initial welcome pack cost (the cost of orbs is pretty gross). I still open the game almost every day, but I do agree the free orbs have trailed off.

I also agree on the changes not being positive. I don't really care for any of the new gameplay modes they've added in the last year, and Dragalia Lost has also stolen what little time I spend playing games on my phone.

Whistler

Oct 27, 2017
If you seriously spent 15K on this mobile game there's something wrong with you. You should have given it to me, for my student loans.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Here I've been login every day since launch waiting for units I love to be added, up to 2.5k orbs now.
Played a bit of the story though.

15k is a sh*tload of money and show how predatory those games can be.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
$15k....I don't think I've spent that much in the last decade or two on games in general...

Game is fun though, but I stopped as well last year playing it

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I expected to read about how spending the 15k fucked you over hard, which is what happens in a lot of these "spent a lot of money on a mobile game" stories.

But still, wow, holy shit, that's a lot of money. FEH is my most spent on a mobile game, probably $20-$30, with most of that being from that Google survey rewards thing. 15k is a fuck ton of money to spend on one game.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
$15000? Good gracious. Hope you stay away from spending more on these games, you could be doing a lot better things with that kinda disposable money.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like you should stop playing games with micro transactions. $15,000 on a game is insane.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The moment you look back and think "15k$" should be the moment of truth about capitalism. That is 15k just thrown into something completely meaningless, that was a source of shallow endorphine release for 3 years; that is 15k that poor children in africa could've used to stay alive. Damn.

OP
OP
Busaiku

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I say it straight out, I was a problem gambler with this.
It's not healthy, but the changes to the game killed my "needs".
I probably spent about $300 this year, which is still a lot, but significantly less than other years.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Wait, wait. 15 THOUSAND US dollars? Holy hell. That's more than I've spent on all of my gaming hobby in my lifetime.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I say this, but Pokémon Masters is a month away.
pokemonmasterscynthia.png

Pls stay away from it OP

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Dang man. I would stay away from any gatcha and loot box games. Yes you may not be spending a whole in those other games but the temptation is always there and you can get addicted to spending money at any time.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I'm just glad I'm not addicted to these kind of games. Hopefully you are finished with it and don't fall into similar traps.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
You spent more on one game than I spent on games and game related accessories in the past 5+ years. This includes my gaming PC and consoles purchased, my subs to online services, my WoW subscription, and tickets to blizzcon and psx

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
$15K?!!! On a single video game?? What??

OP, you have addiction tendencies. I would stay away from FTP and gatcha games. It is well known they prey on people with such conditions. They are literally designed with gambling strategies and Vegas-techniques to get prey on your weaknesses and get you to spend your money.

$15K could buy you a car. Or hell, you could have put it into your retirement fund. That's a lot of money for a single game. I don't think my entire video game expenses for the past 2-3 years combined amount to $15K, including all consoles and games I've purchased, and I have high income.

PRBoricua23

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
I always look on in amazement when I read a post such as this one, where the OP admits to spending some crazy large sum of money on some meaningless game and then I stop and ponder about what that life must be like.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've dropped like, 300 bucks over the course of trying out a few gacha style games and realized I just needed to stay away from them for the sake of my sanity and wallet. They're designed to be too addictive and to make you constantly feel like you're falling behind if you don't have all the new characters.

Sadly I got into playing Magic again but, at least with that you can directly buy specific cards you need.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile I'm pulling everything I can together to afford my first home...

Goddamn rich people.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
Alright I'm gonna be the devil's advocate here.

While I, like many of you, could not imagine spending that kind of money on a gacha game... Who are we to tell the OP how to live his life? People spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary shit every second. People lose thousands from actual gambling every day. Assuming OP is an adult of sound mind, and not losing this income isn't negatively affecting his life... What is the downside, exactly? That he could have played "Better" games for less money?