• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Anidav

Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane
How do new members happen after the great migration settles down?

Ad campaign? SEO? Word of the mouth? Luck?

I'm curious what happens next.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Word of mouth seems to be the strongest way. I lots of people on Twitter talking about it, and many are not familiar with GAF.. so it seems to be gathering write a bit of attention already.

Oct 25, 2017
Industry insiders who make this place their primary point for posting information. If it's posted here first then news outlets/other forums all link to it.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
While we may have came from a forum sporting nearly 200K members, not all of them participated and a fair amount of that number are permabanned accounts too. 10K for this forum and the amount of activity so far is a healthy starting point whether to remain stagnant or growth.

Bionicman

Oct 27, 2017
Devs need to be invited or start posting here, scoops, leaks etc..etc..That's what made NeoGaf influential in the first place. Tho the current admins have already established connections in the industry so no worries there.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They will flock to here once they see the PC Screenshot Thread.

"Wow, this is where next-level gaming is happening!"

Nemo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's so many news/blog sites already covering this place, I don't see it being a problem at all.

Also, dark theme when?

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Industry insiders who make this place their primary point for posting information. If it's posted here first then news outlets/other forums all link to it.
Devs need to be invited or start posting here, scoops, leaks etc..etc..That's what made NeoGaf influential in the first place. Tho the current admins have already established connections in the industry so no worries there.

Yup i think this is pretty much key. So once the dust has settled, you industry insiders here get it moving!

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

The way I see it is:

The the worst case scenario is that the community exists as is, which is already intact and robust. With 10k+ members, ResetEra is going to be a healthy place (and judging by some great new features that were long overdue, a better place) to speak day-in and day-out with the vast majority of the people from the previous site. This is where we are and I'm already satisfied with the place. Even if registration was locked from this minute until the end of time, we're still going to have great and busy threads - especially gif responses for events like E3 and Blizzcon.

The best case scenario is that additional developers and news-breakers make their collective presence known at ResetEra and it becomes just as good (or better) as a place for industry discussion and news. This is all a bonus from my point of view. We already got the community part down and that's the meat and potatoes.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Times have changed. Social media is a much bigger thing now than before. I don't know that devs will prioritize a forum over social media.

Like I said above, it is all about the PC screenshots.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think after the migration we begin posting free content for EGM and 1UP as well as Penny-Arcade.

Hold on...

Someone just told me it isn't 2004. I don't know.

Sarobi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We all know who Roman is in this scenario.

tenor.gif

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bubblegum cards. The kids today are crazy for bubblegum cards.

Maybe we could sponsor a line of Pogs

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Same way any community grows, by accumulation of valuable content by systematically allowing for quality posts by important posters. Having good mechanisms to let people write good text and communal values that care for creating and developing the space for those posters who are better equipped than the rest to have their due say.

Obviously this means giving more and better space for queer and poc posters than the rest of the internet. I'm sure some of you have seen the Waypoint community, take some pointers.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna hand out homemade brochures on Halloween. I'm expecting big results

Wzrd

Oct 26, 2017
Portland, Oregon
This site will live and die by the content the users create imo. Quality discussions and OT threads with a helpful community will naturally have people gravitate here.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Social media will keep people aware of this site.

And I'm sure RE will soon be near the top of google search results for gaming forums. Which will help a lot.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Times have changed. Social media is a much bigger thing now than before. I don't know that devs will prioritize a forum over social media.

Like I said above, it is all about the PC screenshots.

A large and active forum like this can be as useful of a tool as Facebook and Twitter. Especially useful for building a new audience and community. Facebook and Twitter are most effective as tools to communicate with your existing fan base.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Once the UpUpDownDown community is in full swing on ResetEra we can be blessed with video game insight from wrasslin' greats like TJP...

Axisofweevils

Oct 25, 2017
I think word of mouth will continue to spread, especially when the first piece of gaming news is broken here.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I went to Gaf cause a website I visited was always posting leaks from Shinobi on their website so I decided to cut out the middleman and just start going to Gaf.

What I'm trying to say is we need some Shinobi leaks.