• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
When a 3D platformer made by ex-Rare was announced on Kickstarter, many people definitely thought Playtonic would replace the space left by them after they were acquired by Microsoft. The game wasn't very good though, so the idea of them becoming the new Rare quickly died off and so did the idea of getting more entries in the series... until The Impossible Lair was announced.

The new Yooka Laylee seems to have been a success in terms of critics, with many putting it as one of the best 2D platformers to be released in this generation. They definitely seem to have proved that they still have the talent to make amazing platformers, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if how the original YL turned out was more because of them not still finding their "flow" and less because the team forgot how to make a good platformer. With old Rare dead and buried, it really seems to be the only hope we have for anything resembling them to come back. What do you think?

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
There have been many great 2D platformers over the last 10 years. I don't really think there's a gap there at all. Donkey Kong Returns and the excellent TF are already a thing.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Yooka-Laylee failed to be the new Banjo-Kazooie then I'm fine with it being the new Donkey Kong.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I almost thought Rare was gone, but now I just remembered that they make Sea of Thieves. :] Those Summit clips were cool.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
They haven't made a great 3D platformer, and their 2D game is a (great, apparently) riff on the greatest 2D platformer of all time.

This is all to say....it's too early to say.

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
As good as Viva Piñata is, Donkey Kong Country 2 and Banjo-Kazooie it is not. Xbox Game Studios should commission Rare to do another traditional Banjo-Kazooie game and then we'll really see if Rare is as dead as OP claims they are.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
Do people want Yooka-Laylee to be a replacement for Banjo-Kazooie or do they just want Banjo to come back and are trying to replace it with anything they can?

That's an honest question.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do people want Yooka-Laylee to be a replacement for Banjo-Kazooie or do they just want Banjo to come back and are trying to replace it with anything they can?

You are into something.

This is just when Bluepoint announce a big game and everyone freaks out because they think it's going to be Demon Souls because THEY WANT to be Demon Souls, but it's not If you look at the facts.

Feel like people are just driven by their emotions and can't think logically

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Yooka-Laylee was pretty great. I very much enjoyed that game and still haven't quite understood the hate for it. I pretty much got exactly what I was expecting out of it.

Impossible Layer is definitely a better game though, and one of my favorites of the year. It's a ton of fun, challenging and charming as hell. I really hope Playtonic can take off and do bigger and better things. As an IP though, I really like Yooka-Laylee.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The latter, which should be clear because two decades of fan cheering ended up with Banjo in Smash.

Really cant be when DK came back with 2 pretty good platformers too. Lets just let Yooka stand on its own

It's been five years since Tropical Freeze and we're not getting any younger.

Oct 25, 2017
Rare is still around and making great games. I would also argue that Viva Piñata is one of their finest games. Also Sea of Thieves.

With that being said, i do agree that The Impossible Lair scratches an itch of "old school" Rare. It's really good.Better than Tropical Freeze, for me, which i though was quite overrated.

That's simply not true, by any standard.

I'm not sure that they did their best game, but Viva Piñata is on par with anything they did in their Nintendo years. Yeah, even DKC.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
It's 2019, I think we can drop the "Rare is dead" hyperbole. Sea of Thieves exists and is a great game, the Kinect Sports era was a dark time but they're back now. That said, Playtonic has certainly done an amazing job of reviving the spirit of "classic Rare" and I greatly look forward to seeing whatever they come up with next.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Rare isn't "dead", they just released Sea of Thieves which, despite a rocky start, has been a success for them.

But yeah I'm definitely happy for Playtonic and I want to try out Impossible Lair at some point, and this is someone who was disappointed by Yooka-Laylee. Between that and Banjo & Kazooie (and K. Rool) being in Smash, it's definitely a good time to be a Rare fan.

if only battletoads was looking better

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hard to call Sea of Thieves a success since no one paid for it.

If it wasn't included in Game Pass it would be called a flop.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
rare also made one of the most popular shooters ever (and then perfect dark which was better)
fighting game
beat em ups.
etc

without even mentioning platformers lol.

I get what OP is getting at...but that's a bit too big of a jump due to the pedigree.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Rare's charm came from their inventiveness and their willingness to constantly make different things, so they should try emulating that aspect rather than focusing on blatant low-budget rehashes of existing, better games.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Viva Pinata and Sea of Thieves are as good, or better, than anything else Rare put out. Fuck off with this "dead" bullshit already.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018
So what is it exactly you are saying is dead? A company that made good platformers? Rare made an awful lot more than that (with a much larger genre variety than I think any developer would be able to handle in this day and age) and there have also been many amazing platformers both 2D and 3D since their supposed "death"

Really confused at people heralding this game as a gaming marvel in general. Yooka Laylee was a bad game to me but this one seems just good rather than exceptionally unique or creative. Especially when compared to DKC, Banjo, or especially Tropical Freeze lol

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Both imo.
Fans will always want the ip they loved to be back, since they cared about those characters. Yet, having the possibility of getting a spiritual follow-up AND an official follow-up means that they are getting both the characters they loved and also a game made by the creators that made the product they cared about.
(Even if the creators sometime takes inspiration from Tooie, which was not what most were hoping.)

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The first Yooka Laylee was the first and only game I kickstarted... And I ended up being pretty disappointed in it. My biggest issue with it is the level design. Worlds just felt big and empty.

Playtonic is often cited as the "original creators of Banjo-Kazooie," but that game's lead designer, Gregg Makes, is still at Rare (he lead many games including, DKC, Banjo, Viva Pinata, and Sea of Thieves). As Gregg's twitter shows, he had a pretty big hand in the level design of Banjo, so his absence felt pretty obvious to me on Yooka.

Impossible Layer fell under my radar, but everything I've seen of it now looks great. Really happy to see Playtonic find success with this one. I'll definitely be picking it up down the line.

Sep 25, 2018
Hard to call Sea of Thieves a success since no one paid for it.

If it wasn't included in Game Pass it would be called a flop.

theres different ways to go about things, your logic can apply to Sony games too, either way it's best to leave those stuff alone the game did well and the studio still get to add stuff and make the game better

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
donkey Kong on switch is better than all the games they put out, you need to find a game thats on their level

Tropical Freeze on Switch is a port of a five year old WiiU game on top of being the greatest platformer anyone's put out since Rare's own Donkey Kong Country 2. Impossible Lair not being quite up to snuff to those lofty heights isn't an indictment of the game.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Rare's charm came from their inventiveness and their willingness to constantly make different things, so they should try emulating that aspect rather than focusing on blatant low-budget rehashes of existing, better games.

Agreed. They should be more like Rare, known for their highly original titles such as:

Mario 64 But With a Bear
TMNT But With Toads
Zelda But With a Fox
Mario Kart But With a Monkey
Mortal Kombat But With Combos

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
Unity damaged the first title. Or a combination of lack of understanding or proper support. Unity can be amazing once a developer understands its limitations, adds on components for their specific needs or gameplay. They were a scrappy small team, underfunded for size a scope of the first game....

Entering the second installment, their tools had matured, they were more familiar with the engine, and a lot of the heavy lifting from establishing the world, characters, and mechanics had been put in their rear view mirror.

Bravo, can only expect greater things moving forward.

Bummed about the lackluster resolution on the PS4 Pro. Hopefully they crack it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's 2019, I think we can drop the "Rare is dead" hyperbole. Sea of Thieves exists and is a great game, the Kinect Sports era was a dark time but they're back now. That said, Playtonic has certainly done an amazing job of reviving the spirit of "classic Rare" and I greatly look forward to seeing whatever they come up with next.

Classic Rare is dead even if there's still a developer named Rare out there.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. They should be more like Rare, known for their highly original titles such as:

Mario 64 But With a Bear
TMNT But With Toads
Zelda But With a Fox
Mario Kart But With a Monkey
Mortal Kombat But With Combos

There's a big difference between following a trend (with varying degrees of looseness, I might add) and literally cloning individual games, which is what Playtonic's done. Yooka-Laylee gets a pass because people paid them to do it but if their next game is yet another corny clone then fuck 'em.

danrbg

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
You want to publish Rare is dead, it could have been more direct.

danrbg

Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Imagine saying Naughty dog is dead because they no longer develop platform games.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Yeah, but they aren't really the same studio they used to be. For the last decade, they've only had blah motion control minigames and a online pirate game.

Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite series, and I'd love to see them return to the series, but Sea of Thieves is easily one of the best games they've ever made. And I'd take and play Viva Pinata over most of the old Rare catalogue too. And regardless of if they were motion games or not, Kinect Sports were really well made games.

The studio never dropped in quality. People just wanted and expected them to make the same platformer over and over again, when they were recognized for being able to turn out a variety of high quality games across a variety of genres. Rare never died.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
There's a big difference between following a trend (with varying degrees of looseness, I might add) and literally cloning individual games, which is what Playtonic's done. Yooka-Laylee gets a pass because people paid them to do it but if their next game is yet another corny clone then fuck 'em.

It's weird to view them as "clones" when many of the people making these games are the same people who made the games that are supposedly being cloned. If not for buyout fuckery they'd have developed Banjo-Threeie and DKC4 long ago. People constantly beg Rare to make sequels to their classic franchises but apparently actual Rare devs making those sequels in all but name should be frowned upon?

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope their next game has better designs

Lizard Bat isnt as good as big gay bear and sassy bird