• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie is my favorite series, and I'd love to see them return to the series, but Sea of Thieves is easily one of the best games they've ever made. And I'd take and play Viva Pinata over most of the old Rare catalogue too. And regardless of if they were motion games or not, Kinect Sports were really well made games.

The studio never dropped in quality. People just wanted and expected them to make the same platformer over and over again, when they were recognized for being able to turn out a variety of high quality games across a variety of genres. Rare never died.
Viva Pinata was great. To me the only great MS Rare games. They're the highest rated of their MS games, too.

You can argue that Sea of Thieves improved a lot post-launch, but the game is a 69 on MC. It certainly wasn't a just-came-out-and-was-great game. I would say is it just proves that Rare is technically still a talented (but squandered) developer. And Kinect Sports was a 73. All of their Nintendo games were 80+, and most were 90+. I think it's completely fair to say that Nintendo Rare was objectively much higher quality than Rare under MS. Whether that is because they're less talented (I doubt it), or MS doesn't utilize their talents nearly as well as MS (probably), it's just true.

I'm glad people are enjoying Sea of Thieves, but it took a long time for it to become a game worth $60. And man, it was the first non-motion game they did in ten years.

Rare never died, but they certainly aren't the same company they were.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I hope so. I completely ignored Yooka Laylee because at the time I just had too many games to play but after seeing the quick look of the new one I went and ordered both. They should be here in the next couple of days and if they can scratch the 3d platformer feel and/or Donkey Kong Country itch, they will have a customer for as long as they keep making games. DKC is one of my favorite series and the Impossible lair looks just as good as Tropical Freeze. I keep watching YouTube videos of it and there are people like GameXplain who even say its better than TF. Coming from them those a pretty meaningful words. I just hope the sales follow the critical success.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
Even if Rare was dead, which it's not, Retro would still have the crown anyways

I'm playing the game right now. It's really fun. But it's no DK Returns, even less TF

They can get there eventually, but it's not there yet

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Do people want Yooka-Laylee to be a replacement for Banjo-Kazooie or do they just want Banjo to come back and are trying to replace it with anything they can?

That's an honest question.

The first game was a replacement, but at this point it's becoming its own thing. I wish Rare would still do stuff like this and am saddened to know, that some of the guys working at Playtonic, have been working at Rare for years and could have been doing games like this for ages. They're a fraction of the current size of Rare. Imagine if they'd been doing stuff like this with the full size of Rare, instead of the 25 (?) people Playtonic are now? We wouldn't be having threads like this then.

Oh well, I'm at least glad we have Playtonic now and selfishly hope their output keeps matching my tastes as well, as it's done up till now.

I thought Yooka-Laylee was pretty great. I very much enjoyed that game and still haven't quite understood the hate for it. I pretty much got exactly what I was expecting out of it.

Impossible Layer is definitely a better game though, and one of my favorites of the year. It's a ton of fun, challenging and charming as hell. I really hope Playtonic can take off and do bigger and better things. As an IP though, I really like Yooka-Laylee.

The first game was extremely underrated (though not critically) and really a very good take on the collectathon platformer, so it's not like they suddenly learned how to make a good game again with Impossible Lair. That talent was clearly always there, but that said Impossible Lair feels more polished at launch, than the original did and visually the art direction and lighting is much more on point.

I want 3D platformers to become "the thing" again.

Yes, please. With no microtransactions or services, just good old fashioned 3D platformers.

Last edited:

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Tropical Freeze on Switch is a port of a five year old WiiU game on top of being the greatest platformer anyone's put out since Rare's own Donkey Kong Country 2. Impossible Lair not being quite up to snuff to those lofty heights isn't an indictment of the game.

There's also Ori and Cuphead on the xbox with a significantly better reception from critics.
perhaps not 'platformers' in the strict sense of things, but comparable.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
Rare made their best game after they were acquired by Microsoft
Lol. In a world where Goldeneye and Perfect Dark existed? Nope. Sure, they made a few cool games like Viva Piñata after the MS acquisition, but nothing on the scale of their SNES-N64 stuff. Let's be real here. 😑
There's also Ori and Cuphead on the xbox with a significantly better reception from critics.
perhaps not 'platformers' in the strict sense of things, but comparable.
Ori and Cuphead have master level design made by fresh blood. Playtonic are aiming for old-school design intentionally. It's unfair to compare them.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Viva Pinata and Sea of Thieves are as good, or better, than anything else Rare put out. Fuck off with this "dead" bullshit already.
No they aren't. There is a reason why people still gush about Rares SNES and N64 games 2 decades later while nobody except some die hard Xbox fans gives a rats ass about Viva Piñata or Sea of Thieves.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
As good as Viva Piñata is, Donkey Kong Country 2 and Banjo-Kazooie it is not. Xbox Game Studios should commission Rare to do another traditional Banjo-Kazooie game and then we'll really see if Rare is as dead as OP claims they are.
People on forums: MICROSOFT KEEPS FORCING RARE TO MAKE GAMES THEY DONT WANT TO MAKE!

Rare: yo we made this new pirate game that we really have wanted to do for the longest time and it's doing pretty well!

People on forums: oh yeah? Have MS force you to make a game and then we will see if you are dead like we say you are!

Rare: ...or we could...just make games we want to make?

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
No they aren't. There is a reason why people still gush about Rares SNES and N64 games 2 decades later while nobody except some die hard Xbox fans gives a rats ass about Viva Piñata or Sea of Thieves.
Their games were of industry leading quality before they switched to Microsoft. Has nothing to do with Nostalgia. I mean it's not like people will suddenly start to care about their recent output 10 or 20 years from now.

I feel like you're being a bit harsh here with the bolded. Viva Piñata and Sea of Thieves are typically considered some of the more well regarded and interesting games they've put out on Xbox platforms.

VP was pretty niche and didn't really take off past the first game and that TV show, but SoT has had 8 million players (according to Rare themselves, about half of those users played it with Game Pass, so we can roughly estimate that it has sold around 4 million copies?) and has a very active community surrounding it. I'm willing to bet plenty of people will remember SoT 10-20 years from now. Especially as it's a social online game designed to give players a world where they get to create their own stories and memories.

It's definitely been Rare's biggest game on Xbox not named Kinect Sports. As a Rare fan, I'm personally very happy they're still around and having some success. Even if there's a lot Rare (and MS) could be criticized for for the last 15 years, I still wish more so-called "Rare fans" would have this mindset instead of dogging on them at every opportunity. Having a negative view on things all the time can't be a good thing. There needs to be a balance IMO.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Not to shit on them but seeing games like Yooka-Laylee here and other great platformers, it reinforces my belief that Rare really needs a direction change. They have way too much talented and skilled developers to churn out to me, lackluster, SoT level games, even if it's gorgeous to look at. They can and should be doing much better.

I'm hopeful for them but they have to see the feedback and change their efforts imho

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Viva Pinata and Sea of Thieves are as good, or better, than anything else Rare put out. Fuck off with this "dead" bullshit already.
Yes

I would argue that SoT is by far the best game Rare has ever made. And it just keeos in improving. It is also by far the Rare game you can play for the longest time

On topic - yes Playtonic seems like a great replacement for the classic Rare. Rare wont go back to the 90-ies and Playtonic will probably go there. The new Yooka is better than tropical freeze. Yep it really is

StarErik

Oct 27, 2017
Their games were of industry leading quality before they switched to Microsoft. Has nothing to do with Nostalgia. I mean it's not like people will suddenly start to care about their recent output 10 or 20 years from now.
Of course it's nostalgia. About every game is somebody's childhood, or first game even. Sea of Thieves will most likely be very nostalgic for many people in the future.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
They probably can specially because Rare themselves dont want to fill this niche - which is why you never got banjo threeie, not because microsoft is forcing them to make the pirate game of their dreams

It's funny to say rare is dead with all the titles they put up after splitting with nintendo though but then using Playtonic and the very, very mediocre YL as the "replacement". If we get more stuff like Viva Piñata with dead companies instead of disappointing duds like Yooka Laylee maybe playtonic should 'die' as well

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
People on forums: MICROSOFT KEEPS FORCING RARE TO MAKE GAMES THEY DONT WANT TO MAKE!

Rare: yo we made this new pirate game that we really have wanted to do for the longest time and it's doing pretty well!

People on forums: oh yeah? Have MS force you to make a game and then we will see if you are dead like we say you are!

Rare: ...or we could...just make games we want to make?

I am not "people on forums", I am simply one dude with which three of the four quotes here are not associated.

Last edited:

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
Rare's entire output this generation was Sea of Thieves? Am I forgetting something?

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they have another go at making a 3D platformer. Yooka Laylee was really disappointing and I think they could do much better.

One of Yooka Laylee's biggest problems is the camera, which was obviously a non-issue with the Impossible Lair as it's a 2D platformer. They really need to nail the camera programming before they even attempt to make another 3D game.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it really is a success for them cause the number of reviews on Steam suggest it's not selling that great at least on pc. Yeah, I know it's been 2 days but 30 reviews is still low.

hrœrekr

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 3, 2019
I hope it really is a success for them cause the number of reviews on Steam suggest it's not selling that great at least on pc. Yeah, I know it's been 2 days but 30 reviews is still low.

Switch is probably their best market and they chose a terrible launch date with high competition. This should have been aimed for December/Christmas game.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They probably can specially because Rare themselves dont want to fill this niche - which is why you never got banjo threeie, not because microsoft is forcing them to make the pirate game of their dreams

It's funny to say rare is dead with all the titles they put up after splitting with nintendo though but then using Playtonic and the very, very mediocre YL as the "replacement". If we get more stuff like Viva Piñata with dead companies instead of disappointing duds like Yooka Laylee maybe playtonic should 'die' as well
Don't bring logic here

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Honestly I hadn't even thought of that but now I want it. Not sure if Team17 can afford it tho
Now that I think about this, it'd probably have some cameo characters, right? Shovel Knight most likely, but it could be fun to see the Worms appear as a racer. Maybe Agent Dennis could have his moment of glory.

klier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rare was part of Nintendo, and it's success came from working closely together with EAD and all the input they gave them.
That is not EVER coming back from another studio, sorry.