• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Feb 12, 2019
As a backer of Yooka-Laylee, that first game really felt like a Monkey's Paw wish of a video game. "Oh, you want a new 3D platformer in the style of Rare's N64 output? Okay. Here's a platformer in exact the style of Rare's N64 output that has somehow learned zero lessons from the last 19 years of video game development." I still kind of liked it in a very guilty pleasure "this is a substandard version of what I want, but I'm not getting it elsewhere" sort of way, but the level design evokes the worst, most sprawling parts of Donkey Kong 64. It sounds like they eventually improved the controls and camera after I played it, but no amount of quality-of-life tweaks will ever fix how lost I felt navigating most of the worlds.

I'm hearing better things about Impossible Lair, so obviously they've improved, but I'm not sure if I yet buy the narrative people are peddling about them being the "true successors" to the Rare name. They're certainly emulating the same kinds of games Rare was making 20 years ago, but I wonder how much that deliberate throwback stuff appeals to people who aren't already nostalgic for it like I am. Modern day Rare, while obviously not the same company it once was, also seems to be doing fairly well for themselves with Sea of Thieves after a rough launch and a decade spent in the Kinect wilderness.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
Yooka laylee was underwhelming and just showed Rare was/is right to move on from N64-era platformers, nostalgia is a hull of a drug, Viva Pinata and Sea of Thieves are Rare's best games imo.

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
More 2D games from them, I don't think they've got the budget/manpower to do a 3d platformer justice. Oh and they need a better art directior, I find the art direction in their games to be low quality... like something you'd find on the cover of some cheap dollar store notepad.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
More 2D games from them, I don't think they've got the budget/manpower to do a 3d platformer justice. Oh and they need a better art directior, I find the art direction in their games to be low quality... like something you'd find on the cover of some cheap dollar store notepad.
They've done so much better with The Impossible Lair already, I'm sure their next projects won't look like the first YL.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I thought retro studios already replaced rare? Maybe we can have 2 rare replacements now

I know it's what people used to like to say back when Retro used to release games, but they never really replaced Rare. Certainly not on the quantity front at least. Quality is more debatable, but even then, Retro needs to start releasing way more games than they have been to compare to Rare.

Hell, even Rare has released waaaaaaaay more games than Retro has since 2002 and modern day Rare is considered to be slower than old Rare. It's not even a fair comparison on that front.

Yooka laylee was underwhelming and just showed Rare was/is right to move on from N64-era platformers, nostalgia is a hull of a drug, Viva Pinata and Sea of Thieves are Rare's best games imo.

If we go by the general consensus of the game, Yooka Laylee wasn't particularly done well. I'm not sure if that game is a great representation of how a modern 3D collectathon could be like.

If Rare were to ever make a Banjo Threeie, I imagine they won't go down the same route Playtonic tried to go down with YL. Knowing Rare, they wouldn't just directly emulate the gameplay of the old games to a T. That's not how Rare works, for better or worse.

Earlier this year. He went back to games journalism and is currently part of the team behind Videogames Chronicle where he works as Editor-in-chief https://www.videogameschronicle.com/about-us/

Oh wow. Nice! It's cool that he gets to do games journalism again.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
know it's what people used to like to say back when Retro used to release games, but they never really replaced Rare. Certainly not on the quantity front at least. Quality is more debatable, but even then, Retro needs to start releasing way more games than they have been to compare to Rare.

Hell, even Rare has released waaaaaaaay more games than Retro has since 2002 and modern day Rare is considered to be slower than old Rare. It's not even a fair comparison on that front.
Games take longer to make now than they did in the snes and n64 days that's the only reason their quantity is less

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
yeah Rare is putting out bangers pretty fast... oh wait they're not.
Rare hasn't been releasing too much

Notice how I didn't say anything about "bangers". I was talking about general level of output regardless of quality. Since 2002, Retro has released 5 games. Since 2002, Rare has released 13 games and that's not including handheld games and stuff like Rare Replay.

Even looking at the last 5 years is pretty telling. In early 2014, Rare and Retro released Kinect Sports Rivals and DKC Tropical Freeze, respectively. Rare managed to release Sea of Thieves 4 years after that while it's been been nearly 6 years since Tropical Freeze and Retro has yet to release anything. This isn't even counting Rare Replay which came out in 2015.

Yes, Rare is slow as hell, but Retro is even slower. I'm not dogging on Retro or anything. That's just the reality of their pace of output.