• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TotK Hype Level Check

• More Hyped

Votes: 1,628 45.6%
  • Less Hyped

Votes: 1,162 32.5%
  • Unchanged (Explain)

Votes: 783 21.9%

• Total voters

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
ZeldaEra: Following the 10 minute demo, where are you now in terms of TotK hype? Did the demo sell you? Did it turn you off?

For me, it lessened my hype considerably. Crafting was tolerable in BotW's cooking segments, but I'm not sure I want an entire game built pun! around the mechanic. It also looked way too similar to its predecessor for my taste.

www.youtube.com

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom – Mr. Aonuma Gameplay Demonstration

Get an introduction to Link’s new abilities in this gameplay demonstration of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom presented by series producer, Eiji Ao...

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Way more hyped. The sheer potential of the gameplay systems they showed are ridiculous

We still don't know about dungeons and even the goal of the game but this was enough. That stuff can come later

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More. I was whelmed by the previous trailers, but that last demonstration made me itching to play around with the systems they've shown, and more importantly, see how they use these features to integrate them with the game's puzzles. Fuse alone looks like a ton of fun.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
The resolution just drove a stake through my heart. Really bummed at how much lower than BotW it looks, which I already thought looked a bit rough when docked to a TV.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
It looked exactly like I expected it to look and I'm very curious what anyone else really expected.

I feel like it was always very clear that this was going to, at least on a gameplay level, be More Breath of the Wild.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Hype went from 7 to 10. They really included rice with this one.

Really need a good open world game after how rough open world games were in 2022.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What have they been doing these last six years!?

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
A smidge more hyped cause the crafting stuff looks great, but the combat still seems like it'll be a slog for me.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
A little bit more, I need to see / experiment with more wild and crazy combo to see the full extent of those features.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
More hyped than before because I look at the new mechanics, namely Fuse (which is an ingenious solution to the durability complaints btw), and I can't help but imagine all the possibilities...

funo

Oct 27, 2017
hate to be "one of those guys" but after having played BotW on an emulator with 4k60 and high(ish)-res textures it'll be pretty much impossible for me to go back to 720p at ~17 FPS...

the new mechanics (which I am most probably going to ignore completely just like cooking in BotW) are most probably not going to change my mind, I fear

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Unchanged, or maybe a little more now, because I was already excited, and seeing the new mechanics got my imagination reeling at all the possibilities.

Oct 28, 2017
Less hyped. I wasn't all in on BOTW and this demo didn't sway me in favour of it as a must play on release. I'll get to it eventually.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
About the same, feel like everything they showed was already implied in previous trailers and artbook leaks

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
More hyped, but mostly for the welding abilities. I have fond memories of the HL2 leak and one of the funniest things you could do was weld objects together.

Still not enough to make this a Day 1 purchase though. I'm waiting for beefier hardware cause that footage looked like ass.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Nothing they could show would make me more or less hyped. I'm excited to play the game and I don't need to see more to know I'm getting it day 1.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
About the same, feel like everything they showed was already implied in previous trailers and artbook leaks
This is where I'm at, although I'm more curious regarding the new mechanics now that I've seen them in action. I'd say a tiny bit more hyped, but that's it. I guess it'll feel more real closer to release (& hopefully with more information).

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Unchanged. I strongly believe the game is going to give me at least BotW level of quality / experience (which was, like, great game, nothing special - fine by me), so whatever, I've spent a voucher on it already. Hype is a bad concept anyway - no hype means way less disappointment in the end if something goes wrong.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
About the same. It's kinda what I was expecting honestly. More of a lean into the emergent gameplay systems. Stuff in the sky. Some of the specifics are neat, but within the realm of what I was expecting. Still waiting for more about story, possible dungeons, ect. to really get the hype fires burning, but my enthusiasm wasn't doused.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks for making an impressions thread for those that didnt look at the demo. Seems like it was pretty good.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
More! None of the content so far has been explosively exciting, and the long dev cycle has left many of us wanting for something with sizzle. What they revealed today has deep gameplay implications though. This will be a sandbox that makes BotW look like a warmup

Tsunami561

Mar 7, 2023
Looks about what I expected from seeing the artbook leaks, the vehicle building surprised me a bit tho (in a good sense)

Jun 25, 2022
To me it looks like more BoTW which is kinda what I wanted but I'm really curious to know of they've addressed the core issues of the game.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
I'm one of the few that didn't find the first game very good, and after this video it appears they're just doubling down on the first game's choices, so its an opinion unchanged hard pass for me.

Neverx

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Sep 17, 2020
Florida
I mean the fuse mechanic is cool so probably not less hyped but more unchanged, honestly haven't been hyped at anything they've announced or showed for the game since it was announced.

Vyse

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mostly unchanged, cool new mechanics but I get the same feeling as I do watching new exploits and tricks from BotW, neat but I don't feel compelled to play it just from that. I Will be there day one but if this was the second game in a new series I would still be on the wait for reviews phase.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Was already extremely hyped, now a bit more. Fuse ability looks pretty wild, as does the Ultrahand. Lots of crazy potential in both of them. Still only scratching the surface of the game most likely so hard not be excited about what else in store.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
About the same hype, which was very low already. New mechanics seem cool bit it all seems like a way too late DLC to a very old game I already play hundreds of hours of.

Bigmac

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
More hyped for sure, if only because they showed something new and interesting. Otherwise the showings have been a bit of a disappointment. I wish they'd done a Termina and had a whole new area to explore from the ground up, despite the sky islands and everything else. I just want that wonder of experiencing a new world again lol.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
More, I think it opens up for a lot of potential interesting gameplay. Although I do think what they showed in the video was not that that interesting/challenging/creative.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
More hyped.

I hail BOTW as my personal favorite game of all time and that small demo showed to me that they're expanding the toolset in some really exciting ways. Can't wait.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
If the assignment was "make the best direct Mario Galaxy 2 style sequel to BotW possible" it looks like an A+ after today. If the assignment was "make the most exciting Zelda project you can in six years" then that's a big ehhh....

The demo, sky islands and crafting and vehicles, didn't really show anything we didn't already know from the last trailer. The crafting seems fun to mess around with by itself but I'm iffy if it will actually improve the world. BotW already had a vehicle in the DLC and it was the most boring way to interact with the environment, and sky islands don't seem meaningfully different either (its just the same ground stuff but on a different layer).

Oct 31, 2017
Unchanged compared to the previous levels of hype, which were on the "mildly interested" tier.

I like the new mechanic introduced but I question to what extent it will stay relevant past the initial novelty.
And I can only hope they are still saving the biggest novelties and improvements for the actual release, because in any other sense what they shown so far is looking is sticking far closer to the first that I hoped.

Secret Bambino

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 21, 2021
I'm very happy with the gameplay changes shown, but I'm way less hyped than before.

Due to it feeling so similar to BotW, the game and its world kinda look like a known quantity now (regardless if that's actually true or not). Naturally, I didn't not feel this way about BotW, because everything about it was new to me at the time.

I'm still gonna buy TotK, though.

Last edited:

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Are you FOR or AGAINST 🤭?

Looks okay and it will be fun. Nothing more to add from the miniscule amount of footage we got.