• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: I realize I didn't completely think this through and actually regret making this thread, and admit I am wrong. I agree with most of the replies here. I'll probably ask a mod to lock it. I'm an idiot, sorry guys.

Whether Trump gets impeached and removed, voted out in 2020, or hopefully not after 8 years, this whole issue of Russia having control over him and influencing the election will go down in history. However, I have one concern of a result of that: prejudice against Russian-Americans, or immigrants from Russia.

After 9/11, and even to this day, Islamophobia skyrocketed. We see it everywhere. My fear is the same thing will happen with Russia, and we see an increase in violence against Russian-Americans, Russian immigrants, and Russian tourists.

Is this a reasonable concern? I haven't noticed any of it so far, but I feel like it's not far from the realm of possibility.

Last edited:

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you should worry about populations that are currently being discriminated against

avaya

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah I am prejudiced as fuck against the Russian government and Putin. The Russian people no, I know their country is being pillaged by the cunt and his cronies.

Android 18

Jun 26, 2018
I don't really blame people for their shitty leaders. Just like we can't judge all american's just because we have a fucking assclown playing at being president right now.

Rayne

Oct 25, 2017
Welp it's coming I suggest getting used to it.

They're still white though so it won't be nearly as bad as it was for other groups so I'll save my sympathies for those groups.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Folks just need to learn to distinguish between the Russian people and the Russian government.

People seem to really struggle with this for some reason. It's going to be even worse in the US when they've had the government talking of the Russian boogeyman of the past 70 years coming to spread communism.

ISOM

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Let's worry about that when an incident occurs. I am doubtful that it will since the types to take out their aggression on others, love the Russians right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Folks just need to learn to distinguish between the Russian people and the Russian government.
Yea....

good luck with that. Like OP said, we're still dealing with people hating on ALL Muslims because of a few radical bombers.

I feel like there will be backlash, but since Russians tend to be white, the effect won't be nearly as bad as it is for Muslims, or Japanese Americans back in the day.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
I have a Russian last name. I don't think anyone has even noticed other than other Russians.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Russians are white, they'll be fine
Russians are white they'll be fine

latest

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
they're safe because no one can tell who is russian and who isn't at a glance.

that's what makes them scary.....

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No one is failing to distinguish between Russian people and the Russian government. I've seen this exact take being put forward by trolls and it's really dumb. How would you even classify a Russian? They have like dozens of ethnicities, there's no readily available mechanism to single out Russians in a crowd. It's not comparable to Islamophobia or antisemitism.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Russophobia" is made up propagandist bullshit made to falsely equate real issues like gay rights, racism, etc. w/ hostile acts of the Russian government. It's their version of "the War on Christmas", "Blue Lives Matter", etc.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
They're white, they'll be fine. People know it's the government and not the people who are at fault, and racists just won't care.

Oct 26, 2017
I live in the states, in an area with a large amount of eastern euro, ukrianian and russian immigrants.

I try my best to step back and look at it objectively, that not all people are to blame for russias actions.

some days it doesn't help that most of the individuals I interact with are pissed that the area they live in now isnt more like russia.

the direct immigrants with my limited interactions definitely have a " I will screw you over if it betters me" mentality,

But their children don't have this mentality.

Then I remember my Ukrainian Math teacher who grew up in the soviet block. and what she said " Fuck that horrible place I will never return. I was a civil engineer there, and I am a math teacher here in america, and would gladly teach math and a lesser salary and enjoy my life. I love america!."

So I don't judge person from where they came from, but instead, that persons statements and actions.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I'd like to think that people understand the difference between Russian people and the Russian "government".

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whether Trump gets impeached and removed, voted out in 2020, or hopefully not after 8 years, this whole issue of Russia having control over him and influencing the election will go down in history. However, I have one concern of a result of that: prejudice against Russian-Americans, or immigrants from Russia.

After 9/11, and even to this day, Islamophobia skyrocketed. We see it everywhere. My fear is the same thing will happen with Russia, and we see an increase in violence against Russian-Americans, Russian immigrants, and Russian tourists.

Is this a reasonable concern? I haven't noticed any of it so far, but I feel like it's not far from the realm of possibility.
It's like worrying about how the world feels about Americans after Trump. If you are white and have money, people will treat you fine

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm sure there will be some prejudice towards Russians but considering that bigotry will come from mostly liberal circles the chances for violence are extremely low. Our most violent members are focused on fascists and white supramacists. They are levelheaded enough to only go after very evil people.

The people in Russia itself have way more to worry about than the Russian Americans in our borders.

OP
OP
HylianSeven

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
"Russophobia" is made up propagandist bullshit made to falsely equate real issues like gay rights, racism, etc. w/ hostile acts of the Russian government. It's their version of "the War on Christmas", "Blue Lives Matter", etc.
You know what, that's fair and I kind of regret making this thread. I apologise, it was just a thing I thought of.

I guess I didn't make it clear that without a doubt saying the Russian government is particularly shitty is NOT a prejudicial thing.

Robdraggoo

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Russia's has been antagonistic towards the US since pretty mych the end of WW2. I don't see the way Russians are treated are going to change unless we have boots on the ground (will never happen against a nuclear armed opponent)

Deleted member 32563

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'd be more concerned about Kilmongers recent actions and the revelation that tiny Wakanda is a lot more resourceful than it seems. There leader seems genuine albeit all that isolation is still a concern for some. Only time will tell.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, americans are stupid and can find reasons to irrationally hate just about anyone. "Russians" are not the problem. It is a particular Russian, or a small handful, and a really fucking stupid orange american who deserve a lot of ongoing hatred and ire once this assclown is out of office.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I see your point but I think russian predjudice against others (mainly PoC) are much more prevelant and a much bigger problem. So is western predjudice against PoC, too ofc

Status
Not open for further replies.