• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Think Episode IV Obi-Wan could have won?

• Yes...but he lost for reasons

Votes: 175 43.6%
  • No, but he was still holding back against Vader

Votes: 62 15.5%
  • Nah, Vader was stronger at that point

Votes: 78 19.5%
  • I'm more wondering how Ewan McGregor turned into Alec Guinness in 10 years

Votes: 86 21.4%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Obi-Wan even knows Quinlann Voss is alive. The two of them and Yoda could probably have defeated Palpatine himself to be honest.

Quinlan would probably be the wrong choice to fight Vader. Quinlan's whole fighting style, like Windu's, is all about borderlining right on the edge of the Dark Side for additional strength. He would probably be at a pretty severe risk fighting a strong Dark Side user.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
didn't ROTJ receive a mixed reception? This feeling about SW feeling special is just a childhood high that SW fans will be forever chasing.
Back then, the only negative thing I remember hearing about RotJ was that some people didn't like the Ewoks. You're right about chasing that high, though it really was special when it was just those three movies. All the other lore about Anakin and the Clone Wars etc was left to your imagination. Somehow that felt much more exciting than what it all actually turned out to be.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Back then, the only negative thing I remember hearing about RotJ was that some people didn't like the Ewoks. You're right about chasing that high, though it really was special when it was just those three movies. All the other lore about Anakin and the Clone Wars etc was left to your imagination. Somehow that felt much more exciting than what it all actually turned out to be.

I remember between ANH and ESB thinking about how Vader was made (I was told he fell into a volcano) and what the Clone Wars were. We didn't have internet, so it was a ton of nerd word of mouth, fanzines and the Marvel comics. I was into comics at that time, but SW wasn't comic material to me for some reason. So i never bothered with it.

Fake edit: Oh and we all HATED the Ewoks.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
I remember between ANH and ESB thinking about how Vader was made (I was told he fell into a volcano) and what the Clone Wars were. We didn't have internet, so it was a ton of nerd word of mouth, fanzines and the Marvel comics. I was into comics at that time, but SW wasn't comic material to me for some reason. So i never bothered with it.

Fake edit: Oh and we all HATED the Ewoks.
Oh yeah, I remember the drought well. Another fan theory for Vader's suit was that he'd sustained so many injuries from hunting down and fighting Jedi, that it was a gradual process. That got shot down pretty quickly once RoTS arrived.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
I think you have that backwards. We literally see Obi-Wan bury his lightsaber in the desert and cut himself off from the force for 10 years, completely neglecting his training.

While Vader has assumedly been hitting the gym every day in anticipation of facing Obi-Wan again. And he is still no match for him.

Obi-Wan is not lacking talent.

What I meant is that Anakin is supposed to be inherently better than Obi-Wan, his connection to the Force is like none other. He's basically a genius who never has to work for any test to be perfectly correct, while Obi-Wan is just an average dude that had to trains his hardest to become what he is today.

And it still works with Obi-Wan cutting himself from the Force. Obi-Wan already "learned" and "trained" once, he can do it again easily, he knows the steps perfectly.
Vader, on the other hand, has had his power diminished a lot on Mustafar, he's no longer the prodigy he once was. But worst of all, since he never had to train hard for his innate power from back then, it's even harder for him to get back to that level.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, I remember the drought well. Another fan theory for Vader's suit was that he'd sustained so many injuries from hunting down and fighting Jedi, that it was a gradual process. That got shot down pretty quickly once RoTS arrived.

I did some digging and there was a magazine in 1977 that said he fell into lava/volcano based on a Rolling Stone interview from Lucas. That's probably where i got it from.

In that interview, Lucas said of Vader's history: "It was a whole part of the plot that essentially got cut out. It may be in one of the sequels."

Asked "What's the story?", he said: It's about Ben and Luke's father and Vader when they are young Jedi knights. But Vader kills Luke's father, then Ben and Vader have a confrontation, just like they have in Star Wars, and Ben almost kills Vader. As a matter of fact, he falls into a volcanic pit and gets fried and is one destroyed being. That's why he has to wear the suit with a mask, because it's a breathing mask. It's like a walking iron lung. His face is all horrible inside. I was going to shoot a close-up of Vader where you could see the inside of his face, but then we said, no, no, it would destroy the mystique of the whole thing.
episodenothing.blogspot.com

The original Darth Vader back story – before he was Luke's father

The back story of Darth Vader, as presented in the Star Wars Official Poster Monthly , issue 2 Star Wars told us relatively little...

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Remember how special Star Wars felt before the prequels existed?

I think Star Wars is still special to a lot of people that grew up with the prequels.

Where I think it changes is in how we consume our media. Everything from top to bottom is a lot more disposable now because we're not forced into a pattern of repetition by wearing out that VHS or DVD or catching movies 20 minutes in on TV when nothing else is really on.

Obviously the OT is special even in a vacuum but we're just not getting hit with pop culture references years and years after the fact anymore. There isn't a "Muppet Babies" series to beat us over the head with Disney Plus show references nor is Family Guy going out of their way to retell the Mandalorian.

Even if this show was something truly unique and magical, it's exceedingly difficult for anything to become that level of "special" anymore.

Oct 26, 2017
I think that was a big mistake of the show. If grandpa could take out Vader then that would make him a pushover and less of a threat to Luke.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Obi-Wan can read Anakin like a book, and Anakin is too blinded by hatred to do the same. If he retains any level of physical prowess and keeps a relatively clear head he has the advantage.