• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Since the mid 2000s, I've been putting thousands of hours into Monster Hunter releases. I began with MHFU on PSP, but was only truly hooked after playing Tri on Wii (which then inspired me to return to G-Rank in FU). For years, I was one of those people who aggressively defended every mechanic on message boards, no matter how archaic or aggravating I actually thought they were. MH was my Dark Souls before Dark Souls, and I wasn't about to tolerate talks of "casualizing" it in any way.

Flash forward to MHW's release, long after my interest in the franchise had waned, and I was back in 2000%. Capcom had taken chances, including implementing immense quality of life changes that stripped away most of the nonsense I had previously spent hours defending (lo and behold, I haven't missed a single one of those mechanics in over 1500 hours of World).

I'm now left thinking of ways that the formula could be refined further, and this is what I've come up with. Some of it feels significant, it makes me think "Oh, they couldn't do that!" in the same way I used to when arguing for the value of paintballing on Gamefaqs circa 2010, but I still feel that each of these would be a substantial improvement for a franchise that's stronger than ever and needs to maintain its momentum:

Combat

Pivoting During Attacks:
This is a huge one for me. The inability to turn while mid-combo feels like a relic of the series' PS2 roots, and it never feels good to whiff an important opening because the monster got nudged a foot to the left of your strongest attack with no way to adjust. Of course greatswords shouldn't be able to turn mid-swing, but there's no reason why they can't change direction while charging, or why every other weapon outside of S&S is largely locked in place during basic triangle and circle combos.

Consequential Part Breaking: The effects of breaking parts of monsters' bodies isn't noticeable enough, and I've felt this way since my first game in the series. Just like cutting off Rathian's tail immediately removes her most devastating attack, we need more tangible incentive to break/cut parts strategically. Breaking heads should make ranged attacks inaccurate, breaking chests and backs should reduce running speed/distance and breath attack duration, breaking wings should make it much more difficult for flying monsters to escape and greatly reduce the amount of time they stay airborne (which also solves flash pods being so necessary for fighting them), etc.

Fewer Stuns: A large part of many monster attacks is taking control away from the player. Roars make you flinch, tremors knock you to the ground for an extended period, wind blasts from their wings stagger you, and each of these animations can last a second or more. Sometimes these can get chained together, or are followed up with attacks that knock you down, leading to some periods of 5 seconds or more where you cannot effect your own movement. I get that there are decorations to negate this, but it's still just an aggravating mechanic for an action game in 2019. I'm not sure how to fix this, outside of a general "It feels bad, find an alternative that feels less bad."

Mission Stucture

A Diverse Endgame:
The limitations of Monster Hunter World's relatively small roster were made worse by the fact that the endgame was mostly about hunting the same handful of tempered elders ad nauseam. Drop rates for desirable decorations and streamstones was meager across the board, and everything that wasn't a tier-2 or tier-3 tempered monster wasn't worth fighting more than once. The game needed to include all monsters in the endgame loop somehow, and have each tier offer important components for crafting the best gear. World is far from the first MH game to have this issue, but that doesn't mean the problem isn't worth solving.

Permanent Events: Piggybacking off of that lack of diversity, event quests need to be permanent additions instead of weekly rotations. Anything that can give players a reprieve from the ceaseless farming of T2 and T3 investigations needs to be available at all times to avoid burning people out. The fact that most of these events were pretty lackluster is another problem, but one that lacks a clear solution.

Misc

Fewer "Routines"
: Every serious hunt begins the same way for me. I pop a demondrug, might seed, demonpowder, max potion and armorskin, eat a meal, then embark on my hunt. This initial minute really adds nothing to the experience, and should really be trimmed down by the time players reach the endgame grind. My solution would be craftable, permanent versions of these buffs that are stored in your inventory, similar to existing talons and charms. Something like 20 Demondrug + 10 Mega Demondrug = Demon Charm, which grants the same buff as Mega Demondrug, but also makes consumable demondrug unusable. Obviously the temporary buffs like powders and seeds would still exist and never become obsolete.

Consistent Food Buffs: A simple one. If you've gone out of your way to collect every possible ingredient (a somewhat obscure and arduous task), your reward should be +50/+50 buffs for every meal option. It's silly that you have to rely on RNG or items to get proper food buffs in the endgame.

Drop the Time Limit: Look, you almost never need to put anywhere close to 50 minutes into any given hunt. Those you do, if you last that long, you probably deserve to see through to the end. I could understand the "skill check" argument if fights were shorter, like 20 minutes, or if most monsters only needed to be beaten once like traditional bosses in other games, but taking 51 minutes to beat a superboss that you're probably going to need to beat again anyway doesn't seem like a big deal. Furthermore, Capcom really only uses this mechanic to troll, as they did with Behemoth (the hardest fight in the game gets a truncated time limit of 35 minutes, because fuck you!). It should go.

Better Weapon Designs: One of the most common complaints from MHW was the radically different approach to weapon design philosophy that seriously toned down the creativity of previous games in favor of realism. While it's true that some weapons looked a bit silly in past games, most of World's armory is generic. Worse still, some of the coolest designs have been spent on weapons with underwhelming stats, such as the Vice glaive and every Daora weapon.

Prowlers: Playing as a cat was the most fun way to get through Gen and GU, in my opinion. Strong, mobile and low-maintenance. Bring them back.

What are your thoughts?

(Note: While Iceborne will be making some cool additions to MHW, I doubt it will have any of these alterations. This thread is more about what we'd like to see in the follow-up to World than in IB.)

Nov 3, 2017
Fewer Stuns: A large part of many monster attacks is taking control away from the player. Roars make you flinch, tremors knock you to the ground for an extended period, wind blasts from their wings stagger you, and each of these animations can last a second or more. Sometimes these can get chained together, or are followed up with attacks that knock you down, leading to some periods of 5 seconds or more where you cannot effect your own movement. I get that there are decorations to negate this, but it's still just an aggravating mechanic for an action game in 2019. I'm not sure how to fix this, outside of a general "It feels bad, find an alternative that feels less bad."

This just sounds like you don't want the monsters to be a threat outside of doing raw damage? Getting stun locked is great, makes me feel as panicked as I should be when fighting a giant behemoth

A Diverse Endgame: The limitations of Monster Hunter World's relatively small roster were made worse by the fact that the endgame was mostly about hunting the same handful of tempered elders ad nauseam. Drop rates for desirable decorations and streamstones was meager across the board, and everything that wasn't a tier-2 or tier-3 tempered monster wasn't worth fighting more than once. The game needed to include all monsters in the endgame loop somehow, and have each tier offer important components for crafting the best gear. World is far from the first MH game to have this issue, but that doesn't mean the problem isn't worth solving.

Permanent Events: Piggybacking off of that lack of diversity, event quests need to be permanent additions instead of weekly rotations. Anything that can give players a reprieve from the ceaseless farming of T2 and T3 investigations needs to be available at all times to avoid burning people out. The fact that most of these events were pretty lackluster is another problem, but one that lacks a clear solution.

100% to both of these, I fell off World once I beat it despite loving the game because there wasn't anything there for me

Drop the Time Limit: Look, you almost never need to put anywhere close to 50 minutes into any given hunt. Those you do, if you last that long, you probably deserve to see through to the end. I could understand the "skill check" argument if fights were shorter, like 20 minutes, or if most monsters only needed to be beaten once like traditional bosses in other games, but taking 51 minutes to beat a superboss that you're probably going to need to beat again anyway doesn't seem like a big deal. Furthermore, Capcom really only uses this mechanic to troll, as they did with Behemoth (the hardest fight in the game gets a truncated time limit of 35 minutes, because fuck you!). It should go.

I don't particularly like time limits but as you said you don't really feel it outside of maybe like 3 monster hunts, could live without them but entirely understand why they're there

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
"Of course greatswords shouldn't be able to turn mid-swing, but there's no reason why they can't change direction while charging, or why every other weapon outside of S&S is largely locked in place during basic triangle and circle combos."

Can you clarify? because this just sounds wrong.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
My Thoughts:
  • Remove the cutscene restriction for multiplayer: Everyone's mentioned this, so I don't need to get in depth here. Tons of people want to play through the whole story with friends, so why not let them do it easier?
  • Increase the number of viable builds for endgame: This is just a function of tweaking numbers more than anything else. There's never a good reason to run elemental Great Sword or Hammer because of how bad the numbers are for it. And even weapons that you'd think are good with elements (Insect Glaive and Lance especially) typically run raw builds because of, again, how bad the numbers are. Ideally no weapon class should have a single weapon that players can point to and say "This is the #1 best weapon for this class in the entire game. No exceptions."
  • Fix Gunlance: Come on. GL is a cool weapon. Why does it have to be bad? Buff all of the shelling, make it scale better at the end of the game, do something!
  • Fix Switch-Axe: Again, another cool weapon that needs work. It's got no defense to speak off and the DPS isn't high enough to make it stand out, so it ends up feeling like a bad Long Sword.
My thoughts on OP's thoughs:

All of the stuns are fine because they give you something else to worry about/prepare for. If a monster roars a lot and it can kill you with roars (see: Teostra, Lunastra, Kushala), run earplugs, a weapon with a shield, or lean to dodge through the roars (it's easier than people think!). If you want consistent food buffs, use more vouchers. They're easy to get (I have ~100) and will do the trick. The time limit really works in making sure that players can actually get the job done (and it allows the devs to play with time as a restriction for harder hunts, like the 25 min limit for AT Zorah and Xeno), however I will agree that it could stand to be more lenient than getting you to fail. Maybe if you pass a damage check but run out of time you still fail but get some parts for your troubles.

Everything else seems fine.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Make playing with friends easier. Why does someone need to go into a new level, back out, then play it again just to play with friends?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
its pretty nuts you have so many hours, yet you want to do away with consequences like stuns, and commitment to your moves. There's a whole risk/reward mechanic, and you don't seem to understand it.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Seamless multiplayer and what I mean by this make the process of joining up as smooth and not thinking as you can. Stuff like having to be tied to the notice board to effectively queue for hunts shouldn't be a thing. The way it should be is you go to the notice board choose the monster you want to hunt(choose your filters) and then it auto queues you until successful instead of resetting all your filters and forcing you to put them in again on a failed join up.

Removing annoyances like that would add a great deal to smoothing out the game experience even more.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The stuns are necessary. You can either move while using items or have stuns drastically lowered/removed. You can't have both.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only problems with World:

1. Repetitive endgame loop based entirely around grinding either pushover tier 2 monsters for jewels or tier 3 elder dragons for streamstones
2. Locking 90% of the game's best weapons behind a long, repetitive event quest with horrible RNG (Kulve Taroth)
3. Increased focus on multiplayer-scaled monsters that are difficult or borderline impossible to fight solo unless you're some insane speedrunner god (Kulve, Behemoth, Ancient Leshen)
4. No transmog system. This is probably getting added in Iceborne

And of course the cutscene thing but that's only a problem during the 10-12 story quests and then never again.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
More streamlined MP.
Much more varied attacks for monsters. I want way more unpredictable monsters. Less telegraphed attacks.
More ways to modify weapons. And not just bow guns etc.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly I'd prefer it if things were scaled back ever so slightly whilst having more meaningful content (monsters/areas/weapons etc) from the start. And by scaled back I mean no more massive acient and confusing forests and chasing monsters for ages. Also make the weapons cooler and have fewer boring story interruptions. I like the game for monster fighting, everything else... not so much.

OP
OP
GameShrink

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Of course greatswords shouldn't be able to turn mid-swing, but there's no reason why they can't change direction while charging, or why every other weapon outside of S&S is largely locked in place during basic triangle and circle combos."

Can you clarify? because this just sounds wrong.
If you hit triangle to begin a combo on a monster standing in front of you, and then that monster moves to your side, you should be able to hit left or right on the stick so that your next attack in that combo hits them. As things are now, you need to stop attacking, turn your character left or right, then start attacking again.

For GS, I mean that you should be able to adjust your trajectory while charging. If you're facing a monster and begin charging, and that monster moves to the right, you should be able to hit right on the stick to adjust your aim. Once you release the charge and start to swing, however, you're committed.

This just sounds like you don't want the monsters to be a threat outside of doing raw damage? Getting stun locked is great, makes me feel as panicked as I should be when fighting a giant behemoth
Stuff like Lunastra's blast puddles and Val's effluvia are great examples of how to make a monster dangerous outside of basic raw attacks. These are challenging mechanics that can be overcome with the proper build, but they also don't have the sting of "I just couldn't move at all" when you die to them.

its pretty nuts you have so many hours, yet you want to do away with consequences like stuns, and commitment to your moves. There's a whole risk/reward mechanic, and you don't seem to understand it.

I understood and defended it for over a decade. It's only after playing so many other action games and ARPGs with excellent, challenging combat that I've thought "MH could stand to evolve a bit more." I can play Bloodborne, DMCV, and Dragon's Dogma for thousands of hours without having a single complaint about the basic combat, but I can't say the same about MH.

Last edited:

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For GS, I mean that you should be able to adjust your trajectory while charging. If you're facing a monster and begin charging, and that monster moves to the right, you should be able to hit right on the stick to adjust your aim. Once you release the charge and start to swing, however, you're committed.
That completely goes against the point of the charge hits though. They're meant to be a reward for learning the monsters.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
More streamlined MP.
Much more varied attacks for monsters. I want way more unpredictable monsters. Less telegraphed attacks.
More ways to modify weapons. And not just bow guns etc.

Perhaps they can vary this up by adding an "age" mechanic to the monsters. The older the monster is, the more experience it has the more varied and unpredictable the attacks will be. It'll be smarter and actually avoid poorly placed traps and like. It might even have signs of past fights with other monsters or hunters on its body like arrows sticking out of its body like an aged weapon shader or something.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Nope nope nope.

The point of GS is that you need to commit to every attack. The risk/reward is balanced because you deal incredible amounts of damage on charged hits, but if you aren't good at predicting the monsters moves or taking advantage of openings, you'll either do no damage or get killed.

The only way that you could maintain gameplay balance while letting you pivot your charges is if you reduced the damage on the attacks. And at that point you start to lose the core identity of the GS.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
You can adjust the aim of a GS charge and it's been getting more lenient with each release.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Fewer "Routines": Every serious hunt begins the same way for me. I pop a demondrug, might seed, demonpowder, max potion and armorskin, eat a meal, then embark on my hunt. This initial minute really adds nothing to the experience, and should really be trimmed down by the time players reach the endgame grind. My solution would be craftable, permanent versions of these buffs that are stored in your inventory, similar to existing talons and charms. Something like 20 Demondrug + 10 Mega Demondrug = Demon Charm, which grants the same buff as Mega Demondrug, but also makes consumable demondrug unusable. Obviously the temporary buffs like powders and seeds would still exist and never become obsolete.
Definitely agree with this. I didn't really miss any of this while playing Dauntless, and it's been one of the bigger hurdles in jumping back in to MHW after so long. I don't think they should get rid of it or anything, but there has to be some way to make it less of a chore. Maybe a Gambit system so when certain conditions are met you just automatically do it or are prompted to with a single button. Like: If player is poisoned > Press X to use antidote. So for more routine stuff it might be: At beginning of hunt > Press X to Use Demondrug + Use Might Seed + Armorskin + Etc. These would all be commands the user could set up and tweak and maybe they even just suggest some so not everyone has to bother. Anything that can streamline that process. Plus things like the charms that you have to keep in your inventory for the stat boost should have been permanent upgrades.

Also obviously more streamlined and integrated multiplayer. Why isn't Astera itself a social hub? Why make us join sessions at all? Come up with a better way for co-op to work in story quests.

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Monster Hunter Universe.

We going to space, bitches. Taking over small planets in the solar system. You can have your own "farming" area in MHU, and you'll generally get it by getting by capturing a monster. You can decide what habitats live in your world, and in which planet can they live in. Each creature can also be immensely have their DNA modified so you can have a flying Kulu Ya Ku, or different color creature, or someone spitting ice instead of fire. And have it so it attributes to the armor you'll get, like it's dye or design, or material, etc.

Of course to get the perfect armor, you need to create the perfect creature, and to create the perfect creature, you need to get the perfect parts, and a base Monster to base it on. It'll be we sensible grind. But now a more direct grind to what you want.

Oh and proper female armor! Yeah baby!!

l-_-l

Last edited:

UnsungVagrant

Dec 11, 2017
If you hit triangle to begin a combo on a monster standing in front of you, and then that monster moves to your side, you should be able to hit left or right on the stick so that your next attack in that combo hits them. As things are now, you need to stop attacking, turn your character left or right, then start attacking again.
Most weapons either have moves that help with readjusting your attack angle, or the ability to hold a direction to subtly steer while doing a combo.

You can already adjust your aim while charging GS and can even do some last second adjustments right before you let go.
In Iceborne, you can do some crazy readjustments after a slinger shot and do near 180 degree True GS charges.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Perhaps they can vary this up by adding an "age" mechanic to the monsters. The older the monster is, the more experience it has the more varied and unpredictable the attacks will be. It'll be smarter and actually avoid poorly placed traps and like. It might even have signs of past fights with other monsters or hunters on its body like arrows sticking out of its body like an aged weapon shader or something.
This sounds great. I like the idea of monsters progressively leaning how to combat the hunters. Maybe even have them evolving to counter the same attacks over and over haha.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017

Technically Deviants were already that. Monsters who had survived multiple fights.

OP
OP
GameShrink

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That completely goes against the point of the charge hits though. They're meant to be a reward for learning the monsters.
Nope. Nope nope nope.

The point of GS is that you need to commit to every attack. The risk/reward is balanced because you deal incredible amounts of damage on charged hits, but if you aren't good at predicting the monsters moves or taking advantage of openings, you'll either do no damage or get killed.

The only way that you could maintain gameplay balance while letting you pivot your charges is if you reduced the damage on the attacks. And at that point you start to lose the core identity of the GS.
You can adjust the aim of a GS charge and it's been getting more lenient with each release.
Hey, I'm far from a GS main, so if people who use it a lot think it's appropriately balanced, then I won't argue with them.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
All I really want is greater monster variety. More insectoids and stuff like that.
If they do something after Iceborne and not just World 2, I can see them pushing for way more variety. World was a test and it went super well for Capcom, not they are pushing the quantity up and, hopefully, the variation will follow.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
For me, the game has changed too much already at it's core. Instant max potion consumption and the insanely powerful health augment has basically removed the threat of any attacks outside of one shots. Mantles are absurdly busted (Rocksteady, Evasion, Temporal) and offer you way too much for 0 investment. Worst of all, regular and tempered monsters are so damn weak that they are hard to enjoy at all while playing solo. That said, some of your refinements like the unnecessarily high amounts RNG in the food system, repetitive endgame grind targets, weapon designs, and less player stuns were all better in previous games than they are in world. Tremor and KO status in world are absurdly annoying with how long they last.

What are you guys even discussing? This has already been a thing changed for world. Almost every weapon can turn mid combo to adjust where your attack will hit. Even greatsword can turn a full 90 degrees left or right while you are charging. What more do you want?

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
More bugs/crabs and the like. Most of the monsters are just big dragons/lizards.
I'm not a fan of past crab monsters, but the bugs were all super cool.

But Capcom's pointed out that they have a lot of monsters they can make with a dragon/wyvern/lizard skeleton, whereas they only get so much out of the skeletons of bugs like Nerscylla and Seltas Queen.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fewer "Routines": Every serious hunt begins the same way for me. I pop a demondrug, might seed, demonpowder, max potion and armorskin, eat a meal, then embark on my hunt. This initial minute really adds nothing to the experience, and should really be trimmed down by the time players reach the endgame grind. My solution would be craftable, permanent versions of these buffs that are stored in your inventory, similar to existing talons and charms. Something like 20 Demondrug + 10 Mega Demondrug = Demon Charm, which grants the same buff as Mega Demondrug, but also makes consumable demondrug unusable. Obviously the temporary buffs like powders and seeds would still exist and never become obsolete.
As a programmer, my reaction to these routines has always been "why can't I script this?"

There should be a way to set up automatic in-game routines (e.g. Might Pill => Adamant Pill => equip flash pods => sharpen) instead of having to do it manually. I don't mind if it takes the same amount of time, I just resent having to do it item by item every hunt.
(It's even more annoying as a HH user, because I tend to queue up three songs at the start of the hunt before I leave camp, and that's even more needless button presses.)

If you want to make sure it's not open to abuse, you could make it so routines can't be used in combat, since for the most part they're just prep work anyway.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
  • Increase the number of viable builds for endgame: This is just a function of tweaking numbers more than anything else. There's never a good reason to run elemental Great Sword or Hammer because of how bad the numbers are for it. And even weapons that you'd think are good with elements (Insect Glaive and Lance especially) typically run raw builds because of, again, how bad the numbers are. Ideally no weapon class should have a single weapon that players can point to and say "This is the #1 best weapon for this class in the entire game. No exceptions."
I have to say this is probably the biggest annoyance for me. Like you have all these elemental weapons you could craft to reward you for taking your time to set up yourself for various challenges but hey, why not just take the easy way out and do just 1 that is best against them all? I honestly don't know why they haven't fixed this one aspect still. It seems to be some kind of lingering curse on the franchise they aren't willing to properly balance.

Nov 7, 2017
"Pivoting During Attacks: This is a huge one for me. The inability to turn while mid-combo feels like a relic of the series' PS2 roots"

Hell no, this is the entire game basically.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i think the sequel needs to focus on expansion rather than refinement. More weapons, armors, monsters, etc. Maybe a simplified hub would be appreciated. But really the general formula, when compared to old-school monster hunter, is really streamlined. I just want more shit.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
I have to say this is probably the biggest annoyance for me. Like you have all these elemental weapons you could craft to reward you for taking your time to set up yourself for various challenges but hey, why not just take the easy way out and do just 1 that is best against them all? I honestly don't know why they haven't fixed this one aspect still. It seems to be some kind of lingering curse on the franchise they aren't willing to properly balance.
Yep. Built and upgraded every hammer, hoping to have situational builds, but why would I ever use anything other than Diablos Shatterer and not go for max damage?

banter

Jan 12, 2018
"Pivoting During Attacks: This is a huge one for me. The inability to turn while mid-combo feels like a relic of the series' PS2 roots"

Hell no, this is the entire game basically.
Exactly, this would make the game entirely too easy. The point of it is you have to be precise and commit to the action and feel the consequences of it if you don't. They just did a major overhaul to the formula with world, I doubt you'll see anywhere near the amount of changes in the next title. It will mostly be bolstering number of monsters, types of monsters, and areas in the next game.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
Yep. Built and upgraded every hammer, hoping to have situational builds, but why I ever use anything other than Diablos Shatterer and not go for max damage?
Not like they have many cool hammer designs in the game right now (Iceborne hopefully rectifies this). But as a fellow weapon builder for "every situation", I feel so bad about it. Honestly I'm still running them sometimes, just because I want to justify building them. What a shame.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Built and upgraded every hammer, hoping to have situational builds, but why would I ever use anything other than Diablos Shatterer and not go for max damage?
You know it's rough for GS players that want to express themselves when every time you try to make a new set someone comes in and says "Why aren't you running Drachen + Wyvern Ignition?" and you know they're 100% right.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This also makes the weapon grinding unbalanced. A GS user can just grab Wyvern Ignition and be basically done, whereas there's a tangible payoff for situational builds on SnS, DB and LBG, so these players need to spend a lot of time farming status/elemental weapon trees.

Better Weapon Designs: One of the most common complaints from MHW was the radically different approach to weapon design philosophy that seriously toned down the creativity of previous games in favor of realism. While it's true that some weapons looked a bit silly in past games, most of World's armory is generic. Worse still, some of the coolest designs have been spent on weapons with underwhelming stats, such as the Vice glaive and every Daora weapon.

I'm especially salty about this as a HHer, because the current horns have exactly four sounds: a) foghorn, b) dying cat, c) drum, d) harp.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Not like they have many cool hammer designs in the game right now (Iceborne hopefully rectifies this).
That too. Visual variety was already low for weapons but hammers really got shafted. I just wanna hit things with a Rathalos skull. Someone pointed out twin flames dual blades and a rathian switchaxe in recent iceborne footage so there's still a chance.

Shinrou

Oct 28, 2017
Finland
This also makes the weapon grinding unbalanced. A GS user can just grab Wyvern Ignition and be basically done, whereas there's a tangible payoff for situational builds on SnS, DB and LBG, so these players need to spend a lot of time farming status/elemental weapon trees.
Yup. I actually love it when I can switch around the weapons in my DB-collection and they feel like they should against given monsters. Maybe one day they will revise the whole elemental calculation in some way. But alas, I'm very skeptical.

That too. Visual variety was already low for weapons but hammers really got shafted. I just wanna hit things with a Rathalos skull. Someone pointed out twin flames dual blades and a rathian switchaxe in recent iceborne footage so there's still a chance.
Oh that's nice to hear! I would assume they will upgrade them all around then, but who knows.

It's not like they haven't heard the criticism loud and clear about it.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
add traversal between areas (like sailing, skyboats n shit) and give me and my team things to do while heading to hunts (fishing, random encounter sky/sea monsters) that'd be fuckin sick

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Fix the fucking UI. I can't believe everything got less legible with the jump to HD than it was in a fucking 240p screen.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
add traversal between areas (like sailing, skyboats n shit) and give me and my team things to do while heading to hunts (fishing, random encounter sky/sea monsters) that'd be fuckin sick
They already do this so some degree. You can go fishing on your way to hunt monsters or catch wildlife for pets. Not sure what ypu mean by random encounters with sky and sea monsters since... that's sort of what hunts are. Random encounters being the monsters that aren't part of the main quest.

Fix the fucking UI. I can't believe everything got less legible with the jump to HD than it was in a fucking 240p screen.
Ummmm what? It's nearly identical? I'm confused, can you elaborate?

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
In terms of graphics and style one could argue it already has lost some of it's identity compared to previous titles with how 'boring' most weapons and in some regards armors look.

Other than that they have a solid base for a while that only requires an additional level of QoL for many things, mainly menus, menus are a nightmare in this game .... even more so than in previous ones I find.
In terms of content monster variety is king so the more types the better, and they definitely need to find other systems for endgame loot than what they currently have with decorations.
Being less stingy with cosmetics and having a full transmog system with the ones already available in-game would also be more than welcome.