• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
Disgusting. All that hype for a BRZ lookalike. And this shares platform with bmw M2? Unsubscribe me from this.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I would have considered getting this once my lease is up, but $60k is too much. I'll echo others and recommend a M2 or even a M240i. Fast, fun to drive, better interior, and cheaper. I loved driving my M235 when I had it, just traded it in because it was AWD and I wanted RWD. That and electronics issues.

Poody

Oct 27, 2017
Uh no.

15160867320_b49bc23268_b.jpg

Thanks poster. Looks nothing like a cayman.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
This is prime case of concept car visual tricks not translating well into production car

I legit was hoping yota was releasing a Supercar not a slightly more expensive GT86.

If they just cleaned the frikken FT-1 just a little bit to get it road legal and I would be sold.
Its supposed to be a frikken Supra, I was expecting a 400 - 500HP car. Something that clearly beyond the 370Z.

Well Im sure tuners and Formula D will be all over this in no time, so they will having it going on looking more aggressive.

Will wait for Fairlady replacement.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I legit was hoping yota was releasing a Supercar not a slightly more expensive GT86.

If they just cleaned the frikken FT-1 just a little bit to get it road legal and I would be sold.
Its supposed to be a frikken Supra, I was expecting a 400 - 500HP car. Something that clearly beyond the 370Z.

Well Im sure tuners and Formula D will be all over this in no time, so they will having it going on looking more aggressive.

Will wait for Fairlady replacement.

The MKIV was 320hp. This one is rumored at around 340. Nothing wrong here. Not sure if the 4 banger or the inline six will be 340 but it's a good start for the platform. I'm sure people will be purchasing the cheaper 4 banger and swapping it with a 2JZ in no time.

But I do agree that the FT-1 was definitely the looker and the one I too preferred over the production model.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Any photos of the interior?

Also, when are we getting the successor of the 370z? We've had the same car for 10 years already.
If it comes anytime soon (doubtful), it'll probably have a hybrid drivetrain and Nissan will fuck up the exterior with their "V Motion" design. ie HUGE GRILL FOR NO REASON!

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't come anywhere close to the old Supra.

When is Mitsubishi gonna give me my updated 3000GT VR-4?

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The concept or the production vehicle? Cause that's the concept you've quoted.

Anyway, there's a world of difference between the two. The concept has thinner headlights, lower front bumper, lower hood line, wider and longer wheelbase, retractable rear wing/spoiler and a much better looking back end. The production looks like a cheap GoBots version of a Transformer or a Chinese knockoff of the concept vehicle. The smushed wheelbase and other changes isn't doing this any favors.

Do they ever?

mebe...

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Let's see...design let down? Check.
Shit ass BMW engine? Check.
Low effort cash grab? Check.
$60k price? Fuck you toyota. Fuck right off.

Lardonate

Oct 25, 2017
Toyotas design dept must have had a massive order of ugly sticks a few years back cos they sure are whacking their cars with them. I don't follow car design much but being stuck in traffic behind an Auris and a CHR recently I couldn't help but be repulsed.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
"we need supra story again"
then what are you doing? this is completely different

Haha excellent point. I wouldn't even call this a watered down version of the concept. Design-wise the production version is clearly highly compromised and optimised for profit. If you add the fact that this is a shared project with bmw, well..... they're not trying hard enough.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks great. People hating. Reminds me of when the remodel WRX came out and people somehow found it ugly. Currently loving looking at my '18 WRX every day.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Time for Honda to make new S2K's and use some sort of electric boost fuckery that kicks in at 10k rpms lol. This car looks bad and doesn't justify the expected price point

Jul 18, 2018
Mazda Miata is still made. That's a cheap sporty roadster.
I don't think the sports car market is dead. They might not be selling lots but there's certainly a fair amount to chose from. Even some sedans can be considered very sporty. Reasonably high HP engines can be put in anything, and they do.
Performance Models are the new hotness.
Example : Veloster N, Civic R, Sti

So the problem i have is i'm 6 foot 4 inches. So a lot of models i have a hard time fitting into. The corvette for example was one of my dream cars, then i sat in it in dealership and my view was shit cause my head was literally touching the roof haha. Same with the Miatas, not that comfy for me :\

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
profile really reminds me of the wacky (in a good way) sagaris.

wx1wknxuzkksuxnh6jz7.jpg

but not nearly as nice looking, especially from other angles.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
somehow i missed that gtr reveal! the color combo isnt doing it any favors, but imagine those copper bits in matte black or carbon fiber. i like it!

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
It's a dumb thing Toyota has started doing.
105452262-1536949945097lexus-lc-500-3.720x405.jpg
I own an LC500 just like that and get compliments on it literally every day. People come into my job just to say how much they like the car. The lc500 puts that Supra to shame and the tail is arguably the best part of the LC
I agree. for once people here have taste :)

It's like comparing the Lexus LFA to the LC-500. They just took something amazingly awesome and made an ugly version for no damn reason.

2012_Lexus_LFA_047.jpg

vglbvqcu830ym3zfou9w.jpg
I can assure you it's you that has poor taste. Look up every review of the LC no one calls it ugly. Everyone lauds it for its visual design.

The LFA isn't a liveable car the LC is. It's a luxury corvette with a back seat. Has great handling, stunning interior, world class audio, and decent power. It's a great car for people who want a daily driver sports car without sacrificing luxury and nicities.

Only real issue it has is msrp is about 20k too high.

Last edited:

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Today's Mitsubishi would just turn it into an SUV. Ya know, like the Eclipse. :(
Don't remind me. :(

Meanwhile, over at Nissan.
752p0lvbvu921.jpg
That's not the R36. Nothing's been revealed yet and there are no prototypes running around, so it's probably still in the early planning stages.
If anything, expect it to follow the NSX rout and go hybrid. I'd be shocked if it didn't end up literally just like it with a turbo V6/electric hybrid setup.

Uglier version if this 2007 car..

BMW-Z4_M_Coupe-2006-1600-04.jpg
Considering the Supra is literally the new Z4 but in hardtop form, that's dead accurate.

Oct 27, 2017
$60k price? Fuck you toyota. Fuck right off.
I mean let's be fair here, a mk4 turbo Supra would run you 50 grand back in '96, or about $81k adjusted for inflation. You want a turbo inline six on a proper low-production sports car chasis 60 grand is basically as low as it's gonna get.

On the topic of the car itself, just like all of Toyotas recent output I can't help but see it as an aesthetic mess. The only car I've seen out of them that I've actually liked the look of is the new Corolla hatch, and it isn't even the best looking hatchback.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toyota had three options here. From an interview with the CEO:

1. Not build a new Supra -> get shit by fans
2. Build a Supra without an i6 (Toyota don't build them anymore) -> would get shit on by fans
3. Use the only i6 available to them while also splitting cost to build a car in a dying market.

Thanks to the bmw collaboration it'll have the highest quality interior in any Toyota like ever I suppose.

Can't say I'm a fan here. It seems like it took more design influences from the BMW part of the collaboration. Hopefully it performs well.

Lol what BMW looks anything like this?

Uglier version if this 2007 car..

BMW-Z4_M_Coupe-2006-1600-04.jpg

You mean an uglier version of this:
bmw-z4.png

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The MKIV was 320hp. This one is rumored at around 340. Nothing wrong here. Not sure if the 4 banger or the inline six will be 340 but it's a good start for the platform. I'm sure people will be purchasing the cheaper 4 banger and swapping it with a 2JZ in no time.

But I do agree that the FT-1 was definitely the looker and the one I too preferred over the production model.

IT was 320HP in 1998, the Golf was under 200HP.
Todays Supra is make 340HP while todays Golf is make 300HP+.

Let that sink in, the "Supra" is in the Golf tier, I grew up with these tuner cars, the Supra was, nay is still legend status, the engine is still bulletproof by todays standards im partial to the RBxxDET and TBxxDET but i def respect the 2JZ.

But I was legit expecting the Supra to NOT be fighting with Hot Hatchs. I was expecting it to be beyond, both in design and actual power output.
I was fully hoping for a Porsche Carrera S beater 400HP minimum and reasonable weight hell with a simple ECU tune should have put the Supra into Carrera GTS range+

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People who buy this instead of the other options available on the market, imo, are going to tune it anyway.
The B58 engine gets to 460Hp with a simple chip-tuning, now slap in a couple of new parts in there and it'll be a 500hp car easily.

Helot_Azure

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The old Supra vs the new Supra is like a naturally beautiful woman went to the plastic surgeon too many times and now looks jacked up....

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IT was 320HP in 1998, the Golf was under 200HP.
Todays Supra is make 340HP while todays Golf is make 300HP+.

Let that sink in, the "Supra" is in the Golf tier, I grew up with these tuner cars, the Supra was, nay is still legend status, the engine is still bulletproof by todays standards im partial to the RBxxDET and TBxxDET but i def respect the 2JZ.

But I was legit expecting the Supra to NOT be fighting with Hot Hatchs. I was expecting it to be beyond, both in design and actual power output.
I was fully hoping for a Porsche Carrera S beater 400HP minimum and reasonable weight hell with a simple ECU tune should have put the Supra into Carrera GTS range+

Completely understandable man.

I currently drive a 2017 TypeR and by the looks of it I'll be able nto hang with the Supra, which as you mentioned, I shouldn't be. The Supra should be at a tier above my CTR. So I totally get what you're saying.