• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's kinda bizarre that Toyota hasn't taken advantage of the Supra hype and done this sooner. The MKIV has reached legendary status. Not just because of the stupid movie but it's proven itself in the tuning world. The engine was an indestructable rock and mods can make it into a friggin' beast.

That's probably how this new model will be judged. Just how much can that BMW engine handle tuning and mods and compare to the legend from the 90s.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They should make a new Celica. My first car back in 2001 :). So pretty.

2001-Toyota-Celica_1.jpg
These kinds of cars seem dead unfortunately :(

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

that's damn good punnery son

also, I agree that the back end looks weird. I get they were trying to capture the look of the rounded spoiler the OG supra used, but it doesn't look good at all. In fact I didn't like the OG supra's spoiler either. I like the front end though

Last edited:

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
It's a competitive market, but I suppose what car genre isn't.
They're going to be competing with a lot of sport coupes in that price range. A sports car but not at the supercar level.
Considering the classic Supra was capable of kicking supercar ass, the expectations are high. But without a doubt, I'm betting Toyota gets a fair amount of sales simply because it's a Supra regardless of performance.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
It's kinda bizarre that Toyota hasn't taken advantage of the Supra hype and done this sooner. The MKIV has reached legendary status. Not just because of the stupid movie but it's proven itself in the tuning world. The engine was an indestructable rock and mods can make it into a friggin' beast.

That's probably how this new model will be judged. Just how much can that BMW engine handle tuning and mods and compare to the legend from the 90s.
The irony of it all is that peeps want unmodded MkIVs tho lol

That said a hint of modding the MkV could be seen here where Japanese tuners mod the BMW N55 (the precursor to the B58 that's used in the MkV) in a M235i:

http://www.speedhunters.com/2017/12/unlocking-the-bmw-m235is-true-potential/

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
First impression is it lacks muscularity in the rear end, a little truncated. But i dont like many new designs, but then they tend to grow on me.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
The irony of it all is that peeps want unmodded MkIVs tho lol
Doug DeMuro has a review on Youtube of a stock 94 Supra. Now it doesn't seem that impressive. I think the styling still looks good so it was ahead of it's time for that, but any car from the mid 90's isn't going to impress with features.
It's all about that engine, and finding a stock 94 Supra is damn near impossible because they've all been modded and pimped out, probably with 10 year old parts.

I wouldn't park a stock 94 Supra on the street. That baby gonna get stole.

Last edited:

Liquor

Oct 28, 2017
Everything Toyota makes to me (sans the LFA) has been ugly as sin. This is no exception. And that goes double for the concept. It's barely any better.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think it looks cool. But also I would never buy a sports car, so they probably shouldn't care what I think

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
It's been disappointing that Toyota won't develop its own engines anymore. They had legendary high revving twincams. The BEAMS 3S, the 4A, the 1LR, the 2ZZ.

The B58 is a nice engine but it's massively stroked and designed to puts its power out in the middle of the band. It's going to be an utterly fantastic car. Like it's GT86 sibling, it's just not... Toyota. At least, that was my problem with the GT86 even though I lovingly owned one. Fuel cut at 7450rpm? My old 2ZZ weeps.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I'm honestly surprised Toyota bothered bringing it back. The sports car market is almost completely dead, and I can't imagine many paying that price for something that looks like that.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
It looks like 4 different car ideas tossed into one and then they said.......eh, its fine.

I see the car and I think Simpsons episode where Homer built a car for his brother lol

ArachosiA

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
They have about 20 years to design a new Supra and that's the best design they could come up with? Not a fan.

Jul 18, 2018
I'm honestly surprised Toyota bothered bringing it back. The sports car market is almost completely dead, and I can't imagine many paying that price for something that looks like that.
I want to get back into the sports car market so badly. $20-30k seems to be the spot for me, lower 20's preferably. But these high end sports cars just inflate the prices of the lower ends :...(

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I would buy an M2 9 times out of ten over this.

Guaranteed better interior (even if it's basic by M standards), available six-speed, roughly the same power, size, and weight, arguably better looking. And probably cheaper.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I want to get back into the sports car market so badly. $20-30k seems to be the spot for me, lower 20's preferably. But these high end sports cars just inflate the prices of the lower ends :...(
Mazda Miata is still made. That's a cheap sporty roadster.
I don't think the sports car market is dead. They might not be selling lots but there's certainly a fair amount to chose from. Even some sedans can be considered very sporty. Reasonably high HP engines can be put in anything, and they do.

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
Can't say I'm a fan here. It seems like it took more design influences from the BMW part of the collaboration. Hopefully it performs well.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I dont get the hate. I like it. Stands out and loks cool to me.
The concept or the production vehicle? Cause that's the concept you've quoted.

Anyway, there's a world of difference between the two. The concept has thinner headlights, lower front bumper, lower hood line, wider and longer wheelbase, retractable rear wing/spoiler and a much better looking back end. The production looks like a cheap GoBots version of a Transformer or a Chinese knockoff of the concept vehicle. The smushed wheelbase and other changes isn't doing this any favors.

Do ground fx do anything for u under 90mph.?
Do they ever?

Last edited: