• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I'm assuming no Super Metroid again because of the controversy due to kill the animals or save them? Just save them so the game isn't banned.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming no Super Metroid again because of the controversy due to kill the animals or save them? Just save them so the game isn't banned.
A joke?

Kill/Save is always a major donation driver. The reason it's not in this year is due to a variety of things generally centering around the fact that the run hasn't really changed in a while, the top runners chose not to submit for it, and the fact that the most recent races have had a large amount of Game Overs, increasing the chance that no runner would actually finish.

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
A joke?

Kill/Save is always a major donation driver. The reason it's not in this year is due to a variety of things generally centering around the fact that the run hasn't really changed in a while, the top runners chose not to submit for it, and the fact that the most recent races have had a large amount of Game Overs, increasing the chance that no runner would actually finish.
I don't follow AGDQ too much. Super Metroid being banned was the last thing I heard about and it sounded like that was the reason.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
I don't think I've seen a Super Mario 3D World run before, so I'll be excited to watch that. Is this Baldur's Gate 2's first appearance at a GDQ?

Shame there's no Mario Maker block, unless I missed it.

Krypton115

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Too bad Super Metroid isn't gonna be featured this year as it's always been a huge draw for donations.
Also I'm low-key very surprised that nobody is going to run Cuphead.

_Rob_

Oct 26, 2017
Mario Sunshine, Galaxy, Crash Trilogy and Jak & Daxter, this is going to be good!

Oct 25, 2017
Another year another wasted opportunity with no co-op 3D World speedrun.

But hey awful games block is REALLY big this time so I'm excited.

KHlover

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Super Mario World race might be decent to watch, but I still don't think they should throw away their biggest donation drive like that.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will definitely tune in. This and EVO are by far the best live gaming events to watch. The Dishonored run sounds insane.

Deleted member 6436

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't follow AGDQ too much. Super Metroid being banned was the last thing I heard about and it sounded like that was the reason.

Wait what? That doesn't sound right. Super Metroid is always a big deal, even if it doesn't change much. Anyone else have any insight on this?

EDIT: Pretty stoked to see a Splatoon 2 run. First one was a great way to kick things off a couple events back.

I imagine recent games like Cuphead and Mario Odyssey might be leveraged as donation incentives like BOTW was at SGDQ a few months ago. Easy way to include it even if the games weren't released at the time of the game submission deadline.

Last edited:

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Super Metroid was fun but I gotta say I'm glad they aren't doing it for once, it's always the same thing and got kinda boring since there aren't any new strats.

OP
OP
Sargerus

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Too bad Super Metroid isn't gonna be featured this year as it's always been a huge draw for donations.
It could be a donation incentive for the setup blocks, those usually stay hidden until the day they go live.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the main donation driver will be without kill/save the animals. I think the super Metroid runs have been extremely stale and boring (and kind of vitriolic with last year's run and runners getting crabby at an audience having fun) so happy not to see it wasting a slot but it'll be a shame if it causes a decrease in donations if there isn't something easy for people to focus in on.

Krypton115

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I think the super Metroid runs have been extremely stale and boring (and kind of vitriolic with last year's run and runners getting crabby at an audience having fun)

iirc the big reason for them cutting Super Metroid is because at SGDQ this year 2 out of 3 runners died at the first boss, with the one remaining runner nearly dying a couple times well before they got to the save/kill part of the run.

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
Cuphead was released after the deadline for game submissions, hence nobody could submit it for inclusion.

As has been said, it has a chance of showing up as a bonus game.

gcncontroller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
FL
sunshine and ocarina 100%!!! not to mention superstar saga and breath of the wild... great lineup, can't wait!

it'll be interesting to see if they can bring in the same amount of donations now that the big save/kill war won't be a factor. i can't imagine it'll have THAT much of an impact; the money will just be more evenly distributed to other goals (and i'm willing to bet they'll have more bonus incentives to make up for it)

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
iirc the big reason for them cutting Super Metroid is because at SGDQ this year 2 out of 3 runners died at the first boss, with the one remaining runner nearly dying a couple times well before they got to the save/kill part of the run.

Yeah, kudos to that guy since he was the newest face in that group if I remember right and he clutched it.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Guess it's a bit too early for a Super Mario Odyssey Any% Run - but I'm hyped for RE7 Madhouse and Starfox 2

Lukemon

Oct 27, 2017
No Super Metroid feels odd, especially given the number of cool randomizer/ROM hack submissions that got declined. Been watching a bunch of randomizer races recently and they feel much more marathon-safe, mainly because a decent amount of Energy Tanks and ammo upgrades are typically stumbled across naturally as players search for progress-critical abilities.

Still, hyped for the four-way Ori race, MGS, LttP randomizer race, Prinny 2, F-Zero GX, Pokémon BW2, Bloodborne and Battleblock Theatre. As usual, though, it'll probably be one of the most unexpected runs that ends up being my favourite...

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
No Super Metroid doesn't surprise me- I figured the reason why they did it on Friday rather than Saturday at SGDQ was as a sort of test run to see if not having the kill/save donation incentive as the big climax would hurt donations on the last day, and it didn't. There's that 1:10 setup block right before the end, though, wouldn't surprise me if that wound up being a Super Metroid run.
Guess it's a bit too early for a Super Mario Odyssey Any% Run - but I'm hyped for RE7 Madhouse and Starfox 2
I could see a Mario Odyssey run being the last day donation incentive, much like how BotW wasn't on the main schedule for SGDQ due to being released too close to (or was it after?) the submission deadline and was added in as an incentive.

LemonLime

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Makes me happy to see an Ori race this time. What a fun game to watch speed runs of. Part of me really wanted to see a Super Mario Odyssey run but I guess it's too early for that, right?

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed CovertMuffin is doing Jedi Academy again, and his previous one and Jedi Outcast were great. I'm assuming No SG is no save games?

And weirdly excited for Spider-Man 3: Invasion of the Spider Slayers. I despised that game as a kid.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Makes me happy to see an Ori race this time. What a fun game to watch speed runs of. Part of me really wanted to see a Super Mario Odyssey run but I guess it's too early for that, right?

2p Run is getting INSANE but yeah, it is too early for routes... ad that any% seems to be kinda boring since it probably focus on the koroko moons and 100% seems too much....

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No Super Metroid doesn't surprise me- I figured the reason why they did it on Friday rather than Saturday at SGDQ was as a sort of test run to see if not having the kill/save donation incentive as the big climax would hurt donations on the last day, and it didn't. There's that 1:10 setup block right before the end, though, wouldn't surprise me if that wound up being a Super Metroid run.

I could see a Mario Odyssey run being the last day donation incentive, much like how BotW wasn't on the main schedule for SGDQ due to being released too close to (or was it after?) the submission deadline and was added in as an incentive.
Mario was not only released after the submission deadline, but after the full games list (minus donation incentives) was released. I really doubt it'll be a donation incentive this time because of the timing, but we'll see. I suppose it's still possible, and the any % runs are short enough already that it could be possible if they really wanted to try

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Super Mario World with no capes catches my eye the most, and the NES games block with Kid Icarus, Little Nemo and Panic Restaurant will be locked-in live viewing for me. Looking forward to Metroid: Samus Returns and Super Mario Odyssey runs and/or races popping up in future GDQs – with the work being put into Odyssey already in just the past few days, there should be some mind-blowing stuff to see by the time SGDQ rolls around.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Some cool run choices; I'm especially interested to see a Fire Emblem speedrun for the first time. GDQ is always such a pleasure to watch!

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
Sad to see Super Metroid will not make it this time (perhaps due to last GDQ Super Metroid fiasco) and also th elack of S L A Y T H E A N I M A L S

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Good lineup. Surprised to see no Super Metroid since those runs were always super hype and intense, especially the races. I could see it being a donation incentive for one of the setup blocks however. Maybe the final setup block before the finale? Great to see Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner finally getting some love, same for the SNES Mystical Ninja game. Pretty stoked to see carcinogen run Residnet Evil 7 on Madhouse difficulty. Densha de D: Lightning Stage will be hilarious, I'm pretty sure! Multi-track drifting!