AGDQ 2019 |OT| You've met with a terrible run, haven't you?

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Is it just me or did it seem that there was a little bit of tension between the couch and that vice city runner?

Very excited for this Pokemon gold run coming up. Can't believe they're also doing a NINE HOUR FFIX run tonight.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or did it seem that there was a little bit of tension between the couch and that vice city runner?

Very excited for this Pokemon gold run coming up. Can't believe they're also doing a NINE HOUR FFIX run tonight.
There was no tension. They were just joking around.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've downloaded my copy of Celeste from GWG, and I really want to play it, but this is simultaneously inspiring and incredibly daunting. These B sides look brutal.

Really enjoyed the event thus far. I watch it every year, but I don't otherwise watch or follow speedrunning much, so it's always interesting to see how these runs evolve and what games have developed communities.

There are a number I've missed that I need to go back and watch, but the Tropical Freeze, Mega Man Relay, Cuphead, and Mario 3mix race were all highlights for me.
I originally played and finished Celeste on Switch and while it's a difficult game, it's very generous in how its checkpoints work, and there are plenty of assists you can enable with no penalty.

It being free with Gold enticed me to play it again on Xbox, and now I'm going through all of the B-Sides too. Some of those are incredibly difficult, but finishing them are some of the most rewarding things I've ever done in a game! One B-Side took me ~90 minutes and 700+ deaths.

But that's primarily just the B-Sides. The base game is totally worth playing too.

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the appeal of "randomizer" type of runs since running the same game for years on end could use some spicing up, but as a viewer and not a runner they just don't appeal to me as much. It does showcase an amazing combined knowledge of the game and the items on the fly but I just prefer watching the normal game. Done fast.

do all the runners have the same seed for the randomizer?
Yeah I believe so. Which is the only way I think random runs should be done. All the roguelite races that have been done without a set seed have not been races really.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you but doesn't stop a few other past random games being done that way. It really is up to the comunity of whatever game they are running as to what they value most about that game I guess.
I think that was in the past, they haven't in a while because the organizers know better now.

Ashame they are having issues, I've been a part of the FE community, it's fun as hell. Haven't played in a few months though.

Oct 31, 2017
They should have restarted this run. There's no way that guy that crashed can come back. He shouldn't be punished because GDQ's tech sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
They should have restarted this run. There's no way that guy that crashed can come back. He shouldn't be punished because GDQ's tech sucks.
Can't really restart since that seed was pre tested, he'd still be behind since the others would have additional information.

Since the Cecil incentive was used, they'd have to test multiple seeds to make a new seed that starts with him.

(Edit) that wyvern location.... That's absolutely brutal.

That Golbez...

Last edited:

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Free Enterprise is awesome. not sure how it works in a speed run but I've had tons of fun seeing the weird things that can come up.

Oct 13, 2018
Man, I generally enjoy randomizer races but having never beaten FFIV this is mostly impossible to follow.
I usually skip randomizers. They're not like the other runs where people who don't know about a game can still follow along. It seems very much for members of communities who actually play these or are very familiar with the base game. It also doesn't help that it's a long run with 4 screens to follow.

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I generally enjoy randomizer races but having never beaten FFIV this is mostly impossible to follow.
So at this point since two people have access to the Moon (where the final boss is) and they are just looking for the crystal (which makes the boss liberate to taking damage).

They have to keep fighting bosses till they find the crystal and then they can fight the final boss and win.

So while Neerm had the least amount of key items (which just unlock new areas) he has one of the most important. I'd put him in the lead and his is the screen to watch.

(Edit) Rivers got the crystal, Neerm won't be going back to Earth any time soon. Rivers is now who I'd consider in the lead with how far it of the way it was to get.

That said he still only has one part of the puzzle, it's just how long it takes for Rivers to go to the dark crystal spot. Or if Khobani decides to go to the sealed cave.

And Rivers is going to the D. Crystal spot, so it's his race to lose. So watch his screen if you want to follow the last 20 minutes or so till it's over.

Last edited: