• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

AGDQ 2019 |OT| You've met with a terrible run, haven't you?

Oct 25, 2017
Everything after Pokemon just hasn't appealed to me. Which is fine since there is so much every year to watch. I normally really like TASbot too, but other then Castlevania it seemed like a mess/I just didn't care about the game they were doing. Bingos are nice I guess but would rather have just watch another normal run of sunshine. Same with the FF4 run. Glad there are people that do enjoy it though.

Also, "orb" is from Mario World, from when a runner collects the single orb in the game. It became pretty big in that and has since been used in anything else with an orb like object in a higher quantity.

Oct 25, 2017
TASbot was terrible and boring as always. No one knew or gave a shit about some random mario hack. The "Orb" got old fast. Donations yelling for "hype" is cringe. There was some good stuff this year but the last couple days have been trash.

Also fuck any speedrun that is over 2 hours.

Oct 28, 2017
TASbot was terrible and boring as always. No one knew or gave a shit about some random mario hack. The "Orb" got old fast. Donations yelling for "hype" is cringe. There was some good stuff this year but the last couple days have been trash.

Also fuck any speedrun that is over 2 hours.
You're just a ball of joy and sunshine, aren't you.

Oct 28, 2017
do the visuals ever change? I can see how it could have a nostalgic charm but this game is really ugly so far.
I think it's beautiful. Especially the opening areas.
The game has a lot of dithering, and the backgrounds would look better with scan-lines, but I love how detailed everything is. The characters and characterization of even minor characters is just so charming.

The last time I played it was on the Vita, the visuals hold up a lot better on that.

Oct 25, 2017
Curiously, does the modern release of FF9 on steam and switch in the future have higher quality texture/AA and so on? I know it has some additional features but I'm wondering about visual upgrades and/or faster load time per battle?

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
hard to sit through a 9 hour run, but being this time of night is a good spot for it. Lots of people will catch some of the beginning and a lot of people will catch some of the end of the run. Theres still nearly 110k people watching at this time of night.

If FF9 is your thing youll end up watching more than youd expect. I somehow sat through an ff6 run at one of these GDQs... that one was 6 or 7 hours i think.

I think it's beautiful. Especially the opening areas.
The game has a lot of dithering, and the backgrounds would look better with scan-lines, but I love how detailed everything is. The characters and characterization of even minor characters is just so charming.

The last time I played it was on the Vita, the visuals hold up a lot better on that.
Right now it feels too oppressive for a full game length

Oct 26, 2017
Curiously, does the modern release of FF9 on steam and switch in the future have higher quality texture/AA and so on? I know it has some additional features but I'm wondering about visual upgrades and/or faster load time per battle?
The characters and FMVs look better because they had the original high quality assets but the environments are still 240p because they lost the background assets. Some people think the game looks really weird with the characters looking good and the backgrounds looking terrible.

Oct 25, 2017
FFIX is amazing. What a charming game. I don’t understand why it is so divisive.
It's by far my favorite game in the entire franchise, but i don't think its hard to see why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. Combat being as slow as it is can be a deal breaker and it's a very jarring game if you came in to the series with 7 and 8 like a lot of people did.