• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
XortFJq.png

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Vice city is really one of the best speedruns, it's completely unpredictable and hilarious, and has the exact right amount of glitchy nonsense.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This Vice City speedrunner is actually really funny. Like he legit has a good sense of humor. The speedrun itself is pretty hilarious too.

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Is it just me or did it seem that there was a little bit of tension between the couch and that vice city runner?

Very excited for this Pokemon gold run coming up. Can't believe they're also doing a NINE HOUR FFIX run tonight.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or did it seem that there was a little bit of tension between the couch and that vice city runner?

Very excited for this Pokemon gold run coming up. Can't believe they're also doing a NINE HOUR FFIX run tonight.

There was no tension. They were just joking around.

Gutsfree

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jun 1, 2018
I've been enjoying most of these games even the longer ones but I don't think I can do this slow boring Pokemon run for three hours.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I usually find Pokemon runs more enjoyable than I expect. The Heartgold run a while back was a highlight.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've downloaded my copy of Celeste from GWG, and I really want to play it, but this is simultaneously inspiring and incredibly daunting. These B sides look brutal.

Really enjoyed the event thus far. I watch it every year, but I don't otherwise watch or follow speedrunning much, so it's always interesting to see how these runs evolve and what games have developed communities.

There are a number I've missed that I need to go back and watch, but the Tropical Freeze, Mega Man Relay, Cuphead, and Mario 3mix race were all highlights for me.
I originally played and finished Celeste on Switch and while it's a difficult game, it's very generous in how its checkpoints work, and there are plenty of assists you can enable with no penalty.

It being free with Gold enticed me to play it again on Xbox, and now I'm going through all of the B-Sides too. Some of those are incredibly difficult, but finishing them are some of the most rewarding things I've ever done in a game! One B-Side took me ~90 minutes and 700+ deaths.

But that's primarily just the B-Sides. The base game is totally worth playing too.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I just can't get into pokemon speedruns

I'm here for whatever the hell they're doing with Final Fantasy IV after this, though

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there supposed to be an Ape Escape run today? What happened to it? It's gone from the schedule.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually a pretty good run. Was worried at the long quiet time at the start and RNG stuff but they have kept it entertaining.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I understand the appeal of "randomizer" type of runs since running the same game for years on end could use some spicing up, but as a viewer and not a runner they just don't appeal to me as much. It does showcase an amazing combined knowledge of the game and the items on the fly but I just prefer watching the normal game. Done fast.

do all the runners have the same seed for the randomizer?

Yeah I believe so. Which is the only way I think random runs should be done. All the roguelite races that have been done without a set seed have not been races really.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you but doesn't stop a few other past random games being done that way. It really is up to the comunity of whatever game they are running as to what they value most about that game I guess.
I think that was in the past, they haven't in a while because the organizers know better now.

Ashame they are having issues, I've been a part of the FE community, it's fun as hell. Haven't played in a few months though.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
They should have restarted this run. There's no way that guy that crashed can come back. He shouldn't be punished because GDQ's tech sucks.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
They should have restarted this run. There's no way that guy that crashed can come back. He shouldn't be punished because GDQ's tech sucks.
Can't really restart since that seed was pre tested, he'd still be behind since the others would have additional information.

Since the Cecil incentive was used, they'd have to test multiple seeds to make a new seed that starts with him.

(Edit) that wyvern location.... That's absolutely brutal.

That Golbez...

Last edited:

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Free Enterprise is awesome. not sure how it works in a speed run but I've had tons of fun seeing the weird things that can come up.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
That's the single best quality song I've heard in that fight. Some are almost impossible to tell, but that was just a gorgeous rendition.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I generally enjoy randomizer races but having never beaten FFIV this is mostly impossible to follow.