• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Then what happens if they both get 12 simultaneously? At that point they can go for a square the other one already marked? Even if they themselves have already finished the requirement a while ago?

I see a barrier between them. If they can't see each other does that mean they can't see which squares the other has marked? So many questions! :D

I think they can see which squares are marked. The reason the have the barrier is so they can't see what the other is currently going for. To prevent constant counter-play.
This is correct.
They can't see what their opponent is actively going for, but they both share the same bingo board, so when they highlight one the opponent sees it. That's why when they mark a level specific square it tells the opponent where they are/what they might be going for that also relates to that stage.

Maybe it could just be a 12-12 tie. I didn't have audio on so I didn't catch the full rules.
There are 25 squares, so there's always a chance for 13.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Then what happens if they both get 12 simultaneously? At that point they can go for a square the other one already marked? Even if they themselves have already finished the requirement a while ago?

I see a barrier between them. If they can't see each other does that mean they can't see which squares the other has marked? So many questions! :D

They both see the current bingo board on a separate screen so they know what has already been claimed.

The board has 25 squares so they can't tie.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That's probably it. He only needs the next red coin square and then one more.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was a fun race to watch. Both are impressive runners.
Panga never disappoints.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was very fun to watch but I can't help but be bothered that they call it a bingo and yet it is not about making lines lol

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that was great. Bingo + Sunshine was a winning combo. I feel like I've been missing out.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Everything after Pokemon just hasn't appealed to me. Which is fine since there is so much every year to watch. I normally really like TASbot too, but other then Castlevania it seemed like a mess/I just didn't care about the game they were doing. Bingos are nice I guess but would rather have just watch another normal run of sunshine. Same with the FF4 run. Glad there are people that do enjoy it though.

Also, "orb" is from Mario World, from when a runner collects the single orb in the game. It became pretty big in that and has since been used in anything else with an orb like object in a higher quantity.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
9.5. Hour. Speed Run. Looks like they are splitting it up between three people but damn, they still have to be on the couch for that entire time. I don't think my bladder could handle that.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TASbot was terrible and boring as always. No one knew or gave a shit about some random mario hack. The "Orb" got old fast. Donations yelling for "hype" is cringe. There was some good stuff this year but the last couple days have been trash.

Also fuck any speedrun that is over 2 hours.

Deleted member 20630

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
TASbot was terrible and boring as always. No one knew or gave a shit about some random mario hack. The "Orb" got old fast. Donations yelling for "hype" is cringe. There was some good stuff this year but the last couple days have been trash.

Also fuck any speedrun that is over 2 hours.

You're just a ball of joy and sunshine, aren't you.

medinaria

Oct 30, 2017
definitely won't be able to stay up 9.5 hours, but these guys seem interesting and fun? I feel like I'll watch the vod, which I think says very worrying things about me

Spiritreaver

Oct 26, 2017
Two of my all time favorite games made appearances this year. Aria of Sorrow and FF9. I'm pretty happy. I don't watch many speedruns, but those two games I catch streams of whenever I'm feeling nostalgic.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really don't understand how anyone could find it fun to speedrun these superlong rpgs where so much of the time is just spend mashing through speech bubbles

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing against FFIX but the timing and duration of this run is perfect for me to get some sleep.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Bingo run was incredible. We definately need more of that.

FFIX is amazing. What a charming game. I don't understand why it is so divisive. This is one of Squaresoft's best.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
do the visuals ever change? I can see how it could have a nostalgic charm but this game is really ugly so far.

I think it's beautiful. Especially the opening areas.
The game has a lot of dithering, and the backgrounds would look better with scan-lines, but I love how detailed everything is. The characters and characterization of even minor characters is just so charming.

The last time I played it was on the Vita, the visuals hold up a lot better on that.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Curiously, does the modern release of FF9 on steam and switch in the future have higher quality texture/AA and so on? I know it has some additional features but I'm wondering about visual upgrades and/or faster load time per battle?

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
hard to sit through a 9 hour run, but being this time of night is a good spot for it. Lots of people will catch some of the beginning and a lot of people will catch some of the end of the run. Theres still nearly 110k people watching at this time of night.

If FF9 is your thing youll end up watching more than youd expect. I somehow sat through an ff6 run at one of these GDQs... that one was 6 or 7 hours i think.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
The PS1 FF players and couches are really great about explaining the plot along the way. I love FFIX.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's beautiful. Especially the opening areas.
The game has a lot of dithering, and the backgrounds would look better with scan-lines, but I love how detailed everything is. The characters and characterization of even minor characters is just so charming.

The last time I played it was on the Vita, the visuals hold up a lot better on that.
Right now it feels too oppressive for a full game length

Oct 26, 2017
Curiously, does the modern release of FF9 on steam and switch in the future have higher quality texture/AA and so on? I know it has some additional features but I'm wondering about visual upgrades and/or faster load time per battle?

The characters and FMVs look better because they had the original high quality assets but the environments are still 240p because they lost the background assets. Some people think the game looks really weird with the characters looking good and the backgrounds looking terrible.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
FFIX is amazing. What a charming game. I don't understand why it is so divisive.
It's by far my favorite game in the entire franchise, but i don't think its hard to see why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. Combat being as slow as it is can be a deal breaker and it's a very jarring game if you came in to the series with 7 and 8 like a lot of people did.

Evildeadhead

Oct 26, 2017
The American pronunciation of Zidane

GleefulRipeIndianspinyloach-max-1mb.gif