• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
xboxera.com

Review | Age of Empires IV

But - it’s not revolutionizing the genre or setting a new standard in design. It has taken the best aspects of various games, creating a well-rounded package, with love and care of the stories being told and the civilizations and historical sagas being represented. Is it going to instigate a new...

8/10

www.gameinformer.com

Age of Empires IV Review - Age Of Empires IV Review - The Once And Possibly Future King - Game Informer

Gather resources, raise an army, and obliterate your opponents in real-time strategy.

5/5
www.windowscentral.com

Age of Empires 4 review: A polished, deep RTS with an incredible historical campaign that's hard to put down

Age of Empires 4 hasn't reinvented how the RTS is played, but its content as a whole is something special.

4/5
www.vg247.com

Age of Empires 4 review — A learning experience

Age of Empires 4 Review - PC, Game Pass - This classic RTS series returns, but is it better than ever? This review deta…

8/10
www.thesixthaxis.com

Age of Empires IV Review | TheSixthAxis

An RTS legend returns with Age of Empires 4. A deep and detailed dive into history to enjoy with familiar gameplay that will please fans.

8.4/10
cogconnected.com

Age of Empires IV Review - History Be Damned

After a break of sixteen years, Age of Empires IV moves the series of iconic RTS games both forward and backward in terms of its style and historical period.

No score. "making AoE 4 feel like the first big-budget modern RTS since Starcraft 2"
www.polygon.com

Age of Empires 4 revives the series’ brilliance

Reinventing the wheel

10/10
www.cgmagonline.com

Age of Empires IV (PC) Review - CGMagazine

Age of Empires IV pushes the series forward in meaningful ways while still retaining the core of what’s so important about the beloved RTS.

GameReactor - 7/10
www.gamereactor.eu

Age of Empires IV - Review

Its historical immersion is rich, but sadly, its multiplayer portion is lacking.

WellPlayed - 7/10
www.well-played.com.au

Age of Empires IV Review

Wololoooo

9.5/10
www.ausgamers.com

Age of Empires 4 Review

Our Age of Empires 4 Review - for an in-depth, unbiased review of the latest and greatest video games, read on.

8/10
www.eurogamer.it

Age of Empires IV Recensione: Ritorno a nuove origini

La Recensione di Age of Empires 4, una rinascita ispirata al secondo capitolo per l'RTS più famoso del mondo.

16/20
www.gamergen.com

TEST Age of Empires IV : les clés du royaume sont entre de bonnes mains

L’héritier canadien perpétue la tradition avec la ferveur d’antan.12JAV.net12JAV.net

9/10
www.gamereactor.es

ANÁLISIS de AGE OF EMPIRE 4 - EL MEJOR de toda la franquicia - Análisis

Es todo lo que podrías pedir...y un poco más.

5/5
www.youtube.com

Age of Empires IV Review

History will not judge my military tactics kindly, but it will mark Age of Empires 4 as a benchmark for real-time strategy games in 2021. The highly-anticipa...

Opencritic
opencritic.com

Age of Empires IV Reviews

Age of Empires IV is rated 'Strong' after being reviewed by 99 critics, with an overall average score of 83. It's ranked in the top 9% of games and recommended by 83% of critics.

Metacritic
www.metacritic.com

Age of Empires IV

Age of Empires IV for PC game reviews & Metacritic score: The real-time strategy series returns to glory with Age of Empires IV, putting you at the center of epic historical battles that shaped the world. Featuring bot...

Last edited:

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Sounds about right from what I've seen. Good, solid, but not revolutionary. Still great to have a new RTS though.

Oct 25, 2017
Put around 50 hours in the game and absolutely love it. My review is going up later, though. I do think it could play a little less safe sometimes, but the core of the game is SO DAMN FUN. The civs are so different to play. The campaigns are so fucking cool, too. 35 missions and i think it's really nice how each campaign is like a "documentary" telling each civilization's history.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Here's our review. An amazing RTS game, the campaign has ups and downs and the artstyle can be divisive. It hasnt' revolutionized the genre but it is one of the best strategy games I've ever played.

Our video review. Narrated by the lovely Sikamikanico

Jun 3, 2018
London
German Gamestar gives a 86. Full review is behind paywall, though.

www.gamestar.de

Age of Empires 4 im Test: Eine historische Entscheidungsschlacht

Wir haben haben den möglichen Retter der Echtzeit-Strategie prüfend ins Visier genommen. Wie sind Kampagne und Grafik jetzt? Wir beantworten alle Fragen.

Short summary:

You will like it if:
-you want a reimplementation of AoE2
-you want a classic RTS with base building and fast-paced combat
-you like medieval times

You won't like it if:
-you want an emotional single play campaign
-you're not into multiplayer

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Sounds good. Oop there are the 6s and 7s lol. But yea, low/mid 80s is good to hear :D. Now the question will be how long people stick with it.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
28 reviews. 8.6/10

opencritic.com

Age of Empires IV is rated 'Strong' after being reviewed by 99 critics, with an overall average score of 83. It's ranked in the top 9% of games and recommended by 83% of critics.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I clicked that GameReactor review and wtf...

Age of Empires IV is running on Epic's latest Essence Engine 5

The first thing I did when I started playing the game was give the single-player campaigns a try. And really, I think Epic did an amazing job here as the campaigns are really well-made and enjoyable.

How can you write a review and not know who the developer is? It takes like 5 seconds to google it and why do they think Epic, of all companies, is developing this game?

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK
28 reviews. 8.6/10

opencritic.com

Pretty good outcome, hopefully my lowly 1060 3GB will run it half decent at 1080p without having to turn on those low settings.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

How can you write a review and not know who the developer is? It takes like 5 seconds to google it and why do they think Epic, of all companies, is developing this game?
They also do mention Relic in the review. They seem confused. One thing is for sure, they didn't bother to read through their review to check for errors before pressing the green button.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It's interesting that there are different impressions of the assymetry between civs. Looking at the devs play and high level play from pros, it's clear that different civs really have to change how they approach things based on their opponents, their map, and whatever. I think each of these civs is far more different from each other than in AOE2 - even if they're not each individually doing something that's never been seen before (and.. I don't know why we should expect that.)

Still, I also know that I, as a bad player who can't keep track of all this stuff, will probably never learn all these intricacies, and I too will play the same way with a lot of the civs. Which is a shame, because stuff like the Delhi Sultanate's research being all free but requiring scholars to speed it up is super unique. It requires a different way of planning. The Chinese dynasty system is super situational and demands good awareness to pull off. I will never accomplish it myself, but it's cool to see the thought that went into designing it lol.

What bs is that lol
Hell, both of these points are pretty useless
Without reading it, I'm going to guess they don't like that the campaigns aren't based around like a single person and their story, which makes it.. less.. emotional? And thus, they don't like the campaigns and think that you won't like the game if you're just there for the campaigns? Or maybe they're talking about something else. Who knows lol.

I think the campaigns sound intriguing, personally (but there's not enough detail in these reviews to know for sure).

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018
London
Without reading it, I'm going to guess they don't like that the campaigns aren't based around like a single person and their story, which makes it.. less.. emotional? And thus, they don't like the campaigns and think that you won't like the game if you're just there for the campaigns? Or maybe they're talking about something else. Who knows lol.

I think the campaigns sound intriguing, personally (but there's not enough detail in these reviews to know for sure).

Sorry, I cannot say. I'm not paying for Gamestar+, so I can't read the full review.

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

Relic->Epic. Simple mistake.
But doing it twice is sus. Lol

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

The campaigns are more like interactive history lessons than personal stories. So yeah, you won't get the same level of emotional attachment as with other games.

jimbosimbo

Nov 9, 2020
Great scores. IGN says it's "overly safe" which I really don't think is a bad thing here.

Better than a "C&C Tiberium Twilight" situation where they wreck a good formula.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
German Gamestar gives a 86. Full review is behind paywall, though.

www.gamestar.de

Age of Empires 4 im Test: Eine historische Entscheidungsschlacht

Wir haben haben den möglichen Retter der Echtzeit-Strategie prüfend ins Visier genommen. Wie sind Kampagne und Grafik jetzt? Wir beantworten alle Fragen.

Short summary:

You will like it if:
-you want a reimplementation of AoE2
-you want a classic RTS with base building and fast-paced combat
-you like medieval times

You won't like it if:
-you want an emotional single play campaign
-you're not into multiplayer

why would i want an emotional story in a fucking RTS game? lol

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
I love the "history lesson" missions in any strategy game so this is a big plus for me.
The documentation videos sound great as well.

dudu0609

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think AOE 4 taking a safe path is quite understandable.
After so many years absence, the return must be safe/solid to satisfy the fanbase instead of taking risk which might ruin the franchise.
The game will evolve as it will be a live-service game (I guess).
I do hope AOE 5 (if there is) can start to think about new ways/take risk to revolutionize the franchise.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
The last AOE that had significant gameplay changes from AOE2 made everyone throw a god damn fit.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Solid. Many reviews also counted already

unknown.png

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Looks decent. I'm a huge AEO fan.

I'll only play it if it hits Mac or Xbox though, I'll never own a Windows PC.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
Looking good AoE! Recently got into AoE 2 but might have to check this out.

Hopefully some of the AoE2 YouTubers I follow like T90 will cover it a bit.