• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
HEAvAbO.png

CnGAlyN.png
Platform(s): Windows PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Switch
Release Date:
June 19th, 2018 (PC)​
April 24th, 2019 (Switch)​
July 12th, 2019 (XB1/PS4)​
Genre: Action-Platformer
Price: $14.99 / £11.39 / € 12.49
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital (Later physical release)
Developer: Storybird Games
Publisher: PQube/Look At My Game
Size: ~200MB

Okgc3yb.png

What is Aggelos?
Step through time and discover a mesmerizing new action-RPG that looks like it was plucked straight out of the 16-bit era, but plays like a modern-day marvel! Inspired by non-linear Japanese retro adventures such as Wonder Boy In Monster World, Aggelos hurls players into the middle of a colossal struggle for survival as beings from another dimension threaten to invade the peaceful Kingdom of Lumen. Bursting with secrets and side-quests, and boasting slick melee combat that any 2D action game would envy, Aggelos is the perfect combination of retro style and modern-day game design.

How is the game structured?
The game features an interconnected world that is gated off by abilities and equipment similar to what you'd find in Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap.

How long is it?
Playtime will vary but it seems to clock in around 8-10 hours.

What's hard mode like?
Added via a free update:
Hard Mode offers a real challenge to cater even more towards veterans. Enemies will deal more damage and have greater movement speed, higher attack rate and shoot additional projectiles.

I heard the Switch version was blurry. Was that fixed?
Yes. That bug was resolved in an update earlier this May.

bnQYTgh.png

ss_c2e42d60bb7cddf5a805151417deab70f4e106f3.600x338.jpg
ss_05c66c303a59a2997f1f48a8ad207753a21d0894.600x338.jpg

ss_9f90600d4e0a0d303d2a47075f26e87fe9613403.600x338.jpg
ss_df8bc1857eae60e92a6262581c24e4c147fbd50c.600x338.jpg

xpqI5mj.png

Metacritic

Worthplaying 8/10
Aggelos works great as both a homage to the source material and as a game on its own merit. The faithful reproduction of the Wonder Boy style still holds up today, and while the new powers don't significantly change things for the better, they don't detract from the game, either. The gameplay is solid, and the gameplay length comes in at a good running time, so you'll get your money's worth from the experience even before you set out to play it again on Hard mode. With a great presentation backing up the entire experience, Aggelos is a great title for classic adventure platformer fans.

Seriously guys, thanks so much for posting this thread and alerting me to this. Wouldn't have known otherwise. Just finished it clocking in at 11.6 hours.

Here's my Steam review:

Booted it up at 7am this morning. It's now 7pm. Intended to play for around an hour or so and just couldn't put the game down. It was that good. This is the best Wonder Boy-esque game since Wonder Boy in Monster World. Equal to and better than that game - and that game is a retro masterpiece. Aggelos is one of the best games like this I've ever played. Addictive as hell and beyond enjoyable. It has so much heart and love poured in to it you can only imagine the thousands of hours the developers must have applied to this. And it shows. It's just amazing in every sense of the word. I can't recommend it enough. It begins super easy and innocent and then the difficulty ramps up and it becomes the most super addictive, rewarding and enjoyable challenge. You won't be able to stop playing. I was determined to find every secret and see everything and that's why I have so much time on record. That - and I was enjoying the hell out of it. The game is just awesome and if you're a fan of games like this - this is the one of the best in the genre. Buy this game.

In short I fucking loved it and enjoyed the hell out of it. One of the best, most enjoyable games I've played in years.

I'd highly, highly recommend it. Particularly if you're a fan of Megadrive-era Wonder Boy. The Steam page is here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/717310/Aggelos/

NintendoLife 8/10
Overall, this is a great little retro adventure that doesn't outstay its welcome. It plays like a top tier title from back in the day, presents you with the sort of gameplay you want and expect from this type of game and serves it all up at a pace with such consistent quality that it's hard not to be won over, no matter how fatigued you may be by the idea of another blast of old school pixel action.

8bQ7ZVJ.png

Last edited: