• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this earlier today... That trailer makes it look damn good, but based on Agony, I will wait and see.

My hope is that since this doesn't take place in Hell and is a lot less "over the top" than Agony was, that they will be able to do a much better job, because I do think it is a talented team.... I am just hoping for a lengthy, Silent Hill inspired Survival Horror game.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Yay for zombie hookers...I guess. Hope its better than Agony and they made the controls feel a lot less floaty. This does appear more weighty from the video but we'll see what the final product looks like. Cautiously optimistic.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The lighting is ace, but everything else looks iffy. Those naked prostitute monsters are just narmy.

May 3, 2018
Wow, I'm not gonna lie. I thought that we are never going to hear of this studio again.

It looks great but Agony also looked good so...

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I thought the first trailer for Agony looked good, because I liked their depiction of hell (in that trailer). Not getting duped again.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good to see the studio's not letting up. That being said, the game does not look that interesting. Best of luck to 'em.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did they ever explain how they're still alive? after the announcement of the financial issues, I didn't think they woudl be able to get back up

as for this, it looks ok. looks too dark though. can't see shit

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Hope this new game will work fine with valve's proton...

On the other hand can't they dial down on the nudity for nudity's sake ?

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
did they ever explain how they're still alive? after the announcement of the financial issues, I didn't think they woudl be able to get back up
Agony Unrated (the "director's cut" edition of the original shall we say) corrected a lot of glaring issues was a bit more well received and sold fairly well.

Also Madmind Studio was on the list of studios that received a video game creation subsidy from the CNC in France when it was published last month.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I was excited about Agony when I first heard about it. Then I found out about vagina apples and did a hard pass.

I don't hold any illusions that this will be any better.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Yep, I still hope to see a great game from this indie developers.
Now I need to see if I will play the new version of Agony. Have positive reviews on Steam so I want to like it as well.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How do people go from seeing Agony's female dehumanization to seeing dead prostitute monsters in this and think thats "good" lmao? Its gonna be just as nasty as Agony was but now even more disrespectful with more realistic situations

Oct 27, 2017
... Does that zombie hooker have a single tit on her back?

Between this and Agony, these dudes have lady issues they need to work out.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I hope this time this game will work without problems. They need to custom modify UE4 to not look like the base generic design. They are barely touching it. I hope it will run well too.

Oct 25, 2017
Agony made an incredible first impression pre-Kickstarter, but the final game was hardcore garbage on an epic scale with greater-than-average visuals. I don't necessarily share the same extreme interpretation of it as say Patrick Klepek when it comes to it being inherently a women-hating enterprise, but I would absolutely share the criticism that it is one of -- if not *the* worst game -- of 2018.

So, with Paranoid I'll be coming at it from the other end: I expect everything about this game to be garbage, and it will be guilty until proven innocent in terms of quality with me.

This video so far indicates to me that that is the correct approach.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Thing is Agony came across as woman hating because the game just wasn't feature complete once you play Agony Unrated and play from the succubus perspective a lot more things make sense. Thing is that should have been in the original release in the first place.

Besides I don't quite appreciate to see an indie studio making me double dip just to get the full picture.

Hence why I hope that this time around once the game hit the shelves everything is in the game.

So yes you guessed it won't buy day one and will wait to see if they try that shit once again.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It looks great but Agony also looked good so...
Suposedly the Uncut version of Agony is an outright decent game if you're into that sort of thing. They seem to have improved the graphics, game mechanics, level design, and that sort of thing.

I'm curious which side of the fence this new game will fall on. I think the shock value for the sake of shock value content is not a great idea.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Besides I don't quite appreciate to see an indie studio making me double dip just to get the full picture.
Agony Uncut was free fot existing owners on Steam, was it not?

Console owners definetely got the short end of the stick, though. The Uncut version is far more than just "uncut", and it doesn't seem consoles will be getting any of the changes.

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Agony Uncut was free fot existing owners on Steam, was it not?

Console owners definetely got the short end of the stick, though. The Uncut version is far more than just "uncut", and it doesn't seem consoles will be getting any of the changes.
Dunno in other countries but over here in "Space France" I had to shell out cash for Unrated despite owning the original.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
How do people go from seeing Agony's female dehumanization to seeing dead prostitute monsters in this and think thats "good" lmao? Its gonna be just as nasty as Agony was but now even more disrespectful with more realistic situations

... Does that zombie hooker have a single tit on her back?

Between this and Agony, these dudes have lady issues they need to work out.

I get this feeling they're not really fond of women...

This. There's clearly a hatred of women at work here.

May 3, 2018
Suposedly the Uncut version of Agony is an outright decent game if you're into that sort of thing. They seem to have improved the graphics, game mechanics, level design, and that sort of thing.

I'm curious which side of the fence this new game will fall on. I think the shock value for the sake of shock value content is not a great idea.
Oh, interesting. I didn't know that. I respect them for try it again after the huge mess that was the first one

TheSyldat

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
Basically for those who didn't play the Unrated version of Agony , it adds other modes of play and various other side stories that all gets tied together once you play from the perspective of the Succubus . And flip the entire thing on its head.

Problem is all of that should have been in the original release otherwise they wouldn't have faced the backclash and criticisms about them being misogyny appologists.

Now on the flip side this is their second creation (if you consider Unrated to be the game as it should have been ) in an other setup with complete different world and yet the first characters we see are barely clothed up ladies.

I mean at some point it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt here...

Lone Dragon

Oct 27, 2017
I played the first levels of Agony Unrated, after finishing a playthrough of the original release at launch. It definitely feels like a more complete game, now. During my initial playthrough, I just liked walking through and looking at the environments. With Unrated, the gameplay feels more tense and I'm more interested in actually playing.

The problem with the launch of Agony was PlayWay. If Madmind publishes Paranoid on their own, I'll keep an eye on it. If PlayWay is involved, I'm out.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with women on Mad Mind games?

I'm not even the most politically correct person, but the representation of women on Agony and now this really bothers me.

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
The mutant prostitutes aren't very scary-looking. If they're aiming for the psychosexual undertones of Silent Hill, they're failing pretty badly.

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding how they seem to portray women, the interplay of sex and violence is a fairly common thing in horror, as is a twisted representation of repressed psychological urges or fears about sex and sexuality.

I think what you're seeing here and in their last game is what happens when someone who doesn't quite understand subtlety or tact attempts to portray that but really only sort of understands the concepts and themes that they're trying to convey so instead you get a lot of nudity and shock value which comes across more as crass and clumsy at best and unfortunate at worst.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno in other countries but over here in "Space France" I had to shell out cash for Unrated despite owning the original.
Glancing at the Steam news page, it looks like only KS backers got the unrated version free. Previous owners got a 90% discount instead. I assume that has expired since.
How the fuck would anyone have faith in any project after that shitshow Agony?
People can at least have the faith that the developers will fix the game if it has a botched launch. Although "fix" can be open to interpretation. But the Steam reviews jumping from 46% positive (old version) to 76% positive (new version) is pretty decent. It reflects a developer listening to feedback and addressing problems people had with their game. Although there is a possibility that reviews are skewed positive by anti-censorship sentiment. But a 30% jump is nothing to sneeze at.

I gotta say, though. I'm surprised Agony Unrated is available for sale on Steam here in Australia. It would never get past Australia's classification board in a million years. I wonder how long before Steam start getting in trouble with governments over their new "pretty much anything goes" policies.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
So more haunted house corridors with really shitty stealth gameplay?

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
Agony was a terrible game and this trailer is making the continued case that these devs need some sort of therapy.