• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I knew as soon as I saw that recent gameplay footage. Here's hoping it's still somewhat decent and atmospheric.

Arsenic13

Nov 11, 2017
Working on mine still.. a great art direction marred by poor game design and feature creep (ostensibly). The voice acting is bad. The skill system is unnecessary. The level design is awkward.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn not looking good.

Not gonna lie the clip I saw of the bad voice acting was kinda of appealing in a PS1 nostalgia sort of way.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It's unfortunate that this turned out to be so rough. An Outlast through hell is a neat idea.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ouch... that thing was hyped up like the holy grail of horror games, it's kinda funny (and sad) to see those reviews. I feel bad for the devs tho.

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
from sixthaxis:

Checkpoints themselves in Agony are irregularly spaced. In some sections they seemed to be present every few minutes, but then there were areas full of annoying platforming and lethal demons that necessitated lengthy replays whenever I died. On its default setting, the checkpoints destroy after three deaths, but I would strongly advise disabling this until a later playthrough. Imagine Dark Souls where fireplaces are removed after an arbitrary number of deaths and you'll understand the sadistic nature of this restriction. I get that the game is designed to be punishing, but when the default settings work so hard against enjoying the game something has gone wrong somewhere in the design process...

'fireplaces'? sounds cozy :) ...

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
A 49 seems high based on impressions I have been reading. It sounds like this one completely fails on every level.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
The editor-in-chief of Gamekult just tweeted: 'Do not buy Agony, especially the console version. I've seen and heard the massacre with my own eyes and it's gonna need a truckload of patches to set things right'

rVcjdmJ.png

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Gamekult conclusion (translated):

Agony is a real torture to play, proving once again that it's not enough to spread out obscenities and gore all the time to create a remarkable or disturbing experience. Except for a perfect artistic direction to feed a gallery of screenshots, nothing unfortunately holds up. The few passages that aren't from a stupid walking simulator are served by grotesque writing, ridiculous animations, a lack of consistency and aberrations of game design you wouldn't even expect in an early-access prototype. We sometimes end up wondering if what we see on the screen is a bug or a real game mechanic. What remains is a cruelly generic, broken adventure game with too much handholding, which fails to even get a cheap scare out of us in ten hours of playing. If that's what Hell looks like, you may prefer going to Mass every Sunday.

prudis

Oct 25, 2017
CZ
those reviews are weird apart from the buggs and state of console version , lot of it is complaining that its walking sim :-/ Which is weird as it was always shown as indie as hell walking sim .
Overall it feels the game was rushed as hell as the old KS demo was pretty fine.

Also weird thing , that not so many english reviews so far :-D

Last edited:

Krusty

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Unsurprising. Looked shit from the off.

Let's hope Scorn doesn't suffer a similar fate.

Dark_Emil

Apr 5, 2018
huge letdown. I had good hopes for the later VR version but this massive sucking has made me think otherwise.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I've had this game in my Steam wishlist for over a year now. It was one of my most anticipated releases of 2018.

I am sad now.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Huge bummer. This game looked extremely cool and effectively disturbing. I was hoping for one hell of an experience (no pun intended) but it looks like it ended up being dookie. I watched some streams and the gameplay looks horribly boring. Shame.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Probably the first time I wish refunds were a thing on psn. Yes I know I could call up customer service and "attempt" to get one but that apparently has its own number issues from what I heard.