• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StarsAreStuff

Feb 16, 2021
I was playing High On Life last night and the bedroom of the main character is covered in AI art posters, some of which appear to have received little to no touch ups resulting in the borderline grotesque eyes/nose/fingers being present still.
What are yalls thoughts on this type of application of AI art in the game medium?

PaeKEMD.jpeg

nPKuJjx.jpeg
oUxjd0z.jpeg

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This matches the level of effort Justin Roiland puts into most of his acting work, so it makes a weird degree of sense.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they would use it for things like improving PS1 FF backgrounds officially.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I knew this was High on Life as soon as I saw the title. Recognised some tell tale signs of early era Midjourney on those movie posters straight away!

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I mean, this is a humor game so it actually works. Come back when they try to put this in a serious game.

*waits for someone to reply with an attempt that I didn't know about.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah the gun is pretty much me
It's inevitable in a sort of way sadly, but man imagine like you could give the work to smaller artists to make posters for you, give someone a bit of a start/comission for a game.
But nah we can use the thief art blender

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's a statement on the shitty, garbled, non-specific nature of AI art generation. The fact that these posters are so obviously AI-generated makes me want to think it's trying to get players thinking about the vapid nature of the output of these AI.

... but that's probably a reach and it's more likely it's just out of laziness or for the lulz

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Fitting for this garbage to show up in what looks to be the worst game of the year to receive any significant press coverage.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
Seems the perfect application, background art that nobody really pays attention to but would be noticeable if absent.

Panquequera

Feb 8, 2021
Yeah the gun is pretty much me
It's inevitable in a sort of way sadly, but man imagine like you could give the work to smaller artists to make posters for you, give someone a bit of a start/comission for a game.
But nah we can use the thief art blender

they could have even hired artists to replicate the style of fucked up AI art so the "joke" would still be intact while supporting actual artists.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Seems the perfect application, background art that nobody really pays attention to but would be noticeable if absent.

I always pay a lot of attention to things like this. The kind of representations of the in-game universes cultural artifiacts feel important to me in immersing me into a believable place.

I feel like it does make sense for Hi On Life though, as this is a weird (somewhat dystopian?) sci-fi universe and therefore it might make sense that their culture has been replaced by AI artwork.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
What are yalls thoughts on this type of application of AI art in the game medium?
I am glad you ask.
There are absolutely no difference between AI art and this :
FjdUZh5WIAAqFU2

And, like AI art, No Man's Sky can be quite ugly at times. But it can also produce amazing results sometimes.

So I am really not against it if there is still human curation.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
How much art does an AI need to learn how to make new art? For example, I have drawn over 300 comic pages (each page is one small story or happening) of my children. Could I feed that to an AI and ask it to try to make a new page? I am on the waiting list for an art AI. I am honestly excited for the possibilities. Maybe when I grow tired of drawing a big forrest, an AI could fill in the rest of the trees?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Ignoring particular artistic styles I think that AI created artwork in games could be very useful. If you think about generic textures i.e. stone, wood, grass etc then the ability to create these kinds of graphics through AI could allow the likes of smaller devs or one man bands to punch well above their weight whilst using assets that would be pretty much unique to their title. It could also be used to revisit past titles that wouldn't normally be considered for a remaster because they're too niche or didn't see enough copies to warrant a 'proper' remaster. For example a developer of a small scale PS1 title may be able to use AI to upscale the assets to 4K and release the game in a form more suitable for the current generation.

Obviously examples like the above would be shitty if they're using it to rip off the aesthetic style of artists but I don't necessarily see it as wholly a bad thing for the industry.

Oct 27, 2017
I am glad you ask.
FjdUZh5WIAAqFU2

And, like AI art, No Man's Sky can be quite ugly at times. But it can also produce amazing results sometimes.

Procedural generation is not the same as machine learning

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I am glad you ask.

Hum, there are a lot of differences really. Like a big number of them. Procedural generation is very different from deep learning models generating their own stuff.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
I remember the rerelease of Metal Wolf Chaos XD was the first game I noticed the textures went through AI processing upscaling, then Mass Effect and I think even Persona. Now we just having full on AI generations textures in games. I don't know, I kinda don't like this future... I'd prefer if all texture art in games was man made, handcrafted handmade, etc.

aloner

Jun 30, 2021
Australia
I am glad you ask.
FjdUZh5WIAAqFU2

I mean No Man's Sky procedural generation of content is not based off stolen artwork being used by game companies and rich creatives like Justin Roiland to get content for free in their commercial products

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I am glad you ask.
FjdUZh5WIAAqFU2

The problem there is that in NMS it was the artists at Hello Games who created the base art to be used for the procedural generation and was made by them for that title.

The current issues with AI art would be more akin to someone else using pictures from NMS as a reference to create artwork for their own game that looks very similar to NMS i.e. they've used someone else's art for their own benefit without paying or acknowledging the original artists.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I am glad you ask.
FjdUZh5WIAAqFU2

Difference one is that AI art uses uncredited work of other artists, while No Man's Sky generates off of work done by the actual dev team that made the game, who were paid and credited.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Babylon's fall did come out this year
For this specific comparison, trying to do something potentially cool (character action GaaS) and failing is less bad than trying to do something horrible (epic Reddit bacon assault on the senses that only the most depraved Rick and Morty fan could enjoy) and succeeding.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Fitting for this garbage to show up in what looks to be the worst game of the year to receive any significant press coverage.

Damn, who hurt your feelings? Don't worry, I can guarantee you there were many games worse than this, which is not even a bad game to begin with.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Procedural generation is not the same as machine learning
Hum, there are a lot of differences really. Like a big number of them. Procedural generation is very different from deep learning models generating their own stuff.
There are a lot of differences, but not that much really in the end.
I mean No Man's Sky procedural generation of content is not based off stolen artwork being used by game companies and rich creatives like Justin Roiland to get content for free in their commercial products
The problem there is that in NMS it was the artists at Hello Games who created the base art to be used for the procedural generation and was made by them for that title.

The current issues with AI art would be more akin to someone else using pictures from NMS as a reference to create artwork for their own game that looks very similar to NMS i.e. they've used someone else's art for their own benefit without paying or acknowledging the original artists.
Difference one is that AI art uses uncredited work of other artists, while No Man's Sky generates off of work done by the actual dev team that made the game, who were paid and credited.
I mean.. Uncredited work of other artists is the life of most others artists and a very big thing in video game.
You are heavily influence by the work of others and the fact you are crediting them or not doesn't change the fact you "stole" their work to do your own.

The discussion can be very interesting but English isn't my native language so it's quite difficult to have it.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
2250x1266_Anime_EN
Pretty sure Nintendo used it recently to highlight their 'anime games' store highlight too. (the longer you look at it the crazier looking it is)

I think sorta "easy assets" like in-game posters and quick ads were easily on the chop block for human art.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
I think the issue is just what the AI used was trained on. If there'a no stolen work there then I don't see anything wrong with this, and it's cute how they turned them into movie posters. It really works with what they were going for.

That being said, I severely doubt that the AI was trained on only datasets they're allowed to use. Would love to be wrong on this, but I'm assuming these are all generated with stolen art.

May 26, 2018
There are a lot of differences, but not that much really in the end.

I mean.. Uncredited work of other artists is the life of most others artists and a very big thing in video game.

What... is even your understanding of video game teams and the way people work together?

Go talk to human beings, my man. Touch life. Find out we don't spend all our time stealing from each other.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
As long as the art generation creates enough of a transformative work, I couldn't give a damn.

The art made by human hands will almost always be a superior effort though. In the end: fuck capitalism.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You are heavily influence by the work of others and the fact you are crediting them or not doesn't change the fact you "stole" their work to do your own.

The discussion can be very interesting but English isn't my native language so it's quite difficult to have it.

Stop this. Nearly all artists, inspired or not, DO NOT have the same art style. Musicians are influenced by other's musicians work ALL the time but that never seems to get brought up.
What do you want artists to do? Only reference real-life photos? You develop your style by sometimes practicing from those who inspire you. It's not at all "stealing their work". O_o

Highly beneficial for low budget teams. Morally questionable.
Sadly this. I don't blame a dev team not wanting to wait for an artist to draw up 10 shitty posters for a kid's bedroom (or whatever is happening in these screenshots).

May 26, 2018
Stop this. Nearly all artists, inspired or not, DO NOT have the same art style. Musicians are influenced by other's musicians work ALL the time but that never seems to get brought up.

Right, because musicians have their own sentience, their own artistic soul, their own perspective. Humans always learn from each other and apply what they learn to their own lives. There's a reason why we have very specific laws on copying and plagiarism because most human art isn't.

AI is not even remotely sentient. Not yet. It's a tool of those who create it and obfuscate their responsibility in its use. It doesn't have life. There is no perspective.

All this is future law and the future isn't getting here soon enough.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
If you're an artist or have even a minimum amount if respect for artists, you boycott the game. Fuck that shit, and people who enable that art theft scam on a global level.