• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
DuWz_OBUwAAt5Dh.jpg

MIT Technology Review
Paper

The faces above don't seem particularly remarkable. They could easily be taken from, say, Facebook or LinkedIn. In reality, they were dreamt up by a new kind of AI algorithm. Nvidia researchers posted details of the method to produce completely imaginary fake faces with stunning, almost eerie, realism (here's the paper). The researchers, Tero Karras, Samuli Laine, and Timo Aila, came up with a new way of constructing a generative adversarial network, or GAN.

GANs employ two dueling neural networks to train a computer to learn the nature of a dataset well enough to generate convincing fakes. When applied to images, this provides a way to generate often highly realistic fakery.
In the most recent work, the researchers took inspiration from a technique known as style transfer to built their GAN in a fundamentally different way. This allowed their algorithm to identify different elements of a face, which the researchers could then control. A video produced by the researchers shows how the approach can also be used to play with, and remix, different elements, like age, race, and gender--or even freckles.

"It surely seems like another big quality leap for GANs," says Mario Klingemann, an artist and coder who GANs in his work. "It also appears to be amazingly controllable, unlike GANs so far where you have to experimentally figure out how to steer the results into a certain direction (like making a face smile or age it)."
Klingemann says he is keen to get his hands on the code, and to experiment with it for artistic purposes. "I am very interested to find out how to make that model do 'wrong' things," he says. GANs are likely to change the way video games and special effects are generated. The approach could conjure up realistic textures or characters on-demand. Nvidia recently showed a project that uses GANs to synthesize the appearance of objects in a scenes in realtime within a driving game.

Or as one tweet put it, "The end of photography as evidence"

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Impressive stuff! I love the future, man.

Gonna be interesting for gaming and SFX work. You'll will save a lot of money on asset creation.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried. They told us that Google and Amazon would eventually turn against us, and that hasn't happened yet either.

Oct 27, 2017
What an odd, exciting time for society we live in. I've been talking to my kids about stuff like this and deepfakes lately, and how it might impact their lives as adults. It's really fascinating.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
It blows my fucking mind that these people don't exist.
Yeah I don't think it's easy for the human mind to understand lol. Like a doizen seconds into the video, I start to forget about that part and it just seems like those animated gifs of one celebrity morphing into another.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
The biggest ethical consideration is that photography as evidence should now be suspect--like it wasn't before in the age of Photoshop. But this even moreso

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
I love this stuff, can't wait until we find out a celebrity never really existed and was just a CG composite the whole time.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Combine this with that lipsync AI/tech from a while back with the Obama example. Pretty scary.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Philosophically, it doesn't really matter. The vast majority of clear views of faces you see on media you will never meet in real life, and thus will never verify their existence. You believe partially in the veracity of their images and it makes little material impact on your day to day life whether they exist or not.

Practically speaking we are totally fucked.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what degree of hand-picking some of these examples required, because often times with a neural network you'll have a bunch of results that look bad, a bunch that look ok, and a few that are perfect. Did they scrub around until they found the perfect result?

I'll have to take a look at the paper...

Says it's an uncurated set for some of the images. It's amazing that they produce a believable human 100% of the time. Insane. That part alone is blowing my mind. An 'AI' that literally knows what a 'correct looking' human looks like all the time...

I should have know through the transitions. Ears are always appearing as the head turns or behind hair. That's some amazing training.

Trips it up slightly with glasses. You can find some partially formed frames in there.

Last edited:

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OnlyGloomyHuia-size_restricted.gif

We are absolutely in the next 10 years going to find out some massively popular superstar, all the videos they've posted, all the news about them etc. Is fake, and it's all an AI.

tormented

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
And there are times when I find myself thinking technology has peaked. Future is just getting started!

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Great. Let's combine this with Adobe's video editing abilities to create a world where you can trust no one.

edit: But can it create a truly horrific Skyrim character in under two hours? If not, I still win.

Last edited:

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So between this, deepfake tech, lip-syncing tech, increasingly sophisticated text-to-speech tech, script/video-creating algorithms....we're basically what, 10 years from a completely AI-generated Youtuber?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I expect the proliferation of this tech to kill Tinder and Grindr and other hookup apps that are primarily based around judging images. You will be able to upload your photo, upload a collection of model/celebrity faces, and then mutate your picture to make you look much more physically attractive than you are, reducing trust across the board.

Time for OKCupid to relcaim the throne.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
The biggest ethical consideration is that photography as evidence should now be suspect--like it wasn't before in the age of Photoshop. But this even moreso
There's about a hundred ethical considerations with this that will never be considered seriously. The negatives of this kind of technology will far outweigh the positives.

May 26, 2018
Consensual reality is boned.

Apologies to the real people in the future who will suffer from this. We are gigantic, colossal, titanic fools.

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
There's something incredibly upsetting about looking at these images and realising they are not people who exist in this world.

JLP101

Oct 25, 2017
Awaiting the first photo realistic computer generated movie. Actors are going to be obsolete in the future.