• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
As world leaders descend on Egypt for the annual climate conference known this year as COP27, experts warn that the world is not on track with meeting previous emissions-cutting goals.

Most countries aren't even close to keeping their commitments made in the 2015 Paris Accords, which called for keeping global warming below 2 C or ideally 1.5 C, according to a report released in April by the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

Net-zero climate experts at the U.K.-based price comparison company Uswitch used an artificial intelligence (AI) tool called Midjourney to find out what major cities in the world would look like 70 years from now in the worst- and best-case climate scenarios.

To uncover the potential consequences of not meeting climate goals, the green energy team collaborated with the research director of Oxford University's Net Zero initiative to analyze emission data and the latest IPPC report to "identify how each country will be most affected by climate change in 2100."

The researchers used Midjourney to predict the future of 20 well-known locations around the world. They include Toronto, New York, Paris, Rio de Janeiro, Sydney, Tokyo, Agra, Auckland, Barcelona, Beijing, Berlin, Dubai, Edinburgh, Giza, Kruger National Park (South Africa), London, Los Angeles, Mexico City and Moscow.

NYC:

Central-Park-Worst-Case-climate-change.png

London:

London-Worst-Case-climate-change.png

LA:

LA-Worst-Case-climate-change.png

Rio:
Rio-Worst-Case-climate-change.png

www.ctvnews.ca

AI tool reveals what cities could look like in 2100 if climate goals not met

Net-zero climate experts at a U.K.-based price comparison company used an artificial intelligence tool to predict what major cities in the world would look like 70 years from now in the worst- and best-case climate scenarios.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
so don't tell me, did they type into one of those graphic AI things "City under Climate Change 2100" or something equally asinine? what is going on in central park?

it looks like a scene from Tom Cruise's War of the Worlds.

Jardim

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 7, 2021
Damm, Rio's partnership with Kojima's Death Stranding 2 is amazing

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, that NYC looks pretty normal to me.

Seriously though, I'm interested in the methodology used to produce these results.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
so don't tell me, did they type into one of those graphic AI things "City under Climate Change 2100" or something equally asinine? what is going on in central park?

it looks like a scene from Tom Cruise's War of the Worlds.
They literally did

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
"AI tool reveals..." seems like a stronger way of saying "AI art of scenarios depicting..." Like there's no AI algorithm informing these pictures beyond their artistic merit (or lack thereof) but the title sounds like Deep Thought crunched the numbers and sent these pictures out lmao.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
At least things would be out in the open then. Maybe we could start then

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, that is the London of my vacation 30 years ago, except there was much more rain when I was there.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of misleading article title. Sounds like they just didn't want to pay for a concept artist so they used an AI image tool and found a way to spin that into an article.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Honestly, these are really beautiful and haunting compositions, and perhaps effective at proving a point, but as others have mentioned this is hardly anything beyond art. Yeah, shit's going to be fucked, but this is just an art project. Unless I'm missing something?